How accurate are rifled slugs out of a smooth bore barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are rifled slugs out of a smooth bore barrel?

Thrillhouse700
02-05-2010, 15:22
I have a bunch of rifled slugs for my shotgun, shot a few out of my 18.5" and 28". Could never really judge the accuracy due to having just a bead sight. Not to mention I only really ever shoot clays with the gun. So what kind of accuracy could one expect out of a rifled slug? Would it be enough to put a cheapo red dot on the shotgun just to mess around with? Seeing as how I can't afford a nice set of sights right now.

Ramjet38
02-05-2010, 15:39
That's a good topic and am interested myself with those that have first hand experience. What little experience that I've had is that with front bead alone, I shoot a little high and to the left at about 30 yards. I just put on a Pentax Red Dot, but have not yet had a chance to shoot it. I have done a bore sight on the scope and expect to have to tweak for my shooting.

I would really like to know about the 50 - 100 yard range.

I do know that after shooting about 5-rounds I'm ready to quit for I am swearing at every round, but it's a feel good hurt if you know what I mean.

1canvas
02-05-2010, 16:00
it depends a bit both on the barrel and the slug. we have done alot of slug shooting out of smoothbores around here over the years and the lack of good sights or scopes has always been the limiting factor. that and the fact that most people can't shoot those hard kicking guns without flinching. most guns are capable of staying on a playing card at 75 yds, some at 100. i have also had my 870 touching at 75 with rifle sights and rottweil [brenneke] slugs. with optics you can at least expect the playing card at 75.

DWARREN123
02-05-2010, 16:07
Depends on the shotgun and ammo. If they match up well it should get 2 to 3 inches for two shots at 100 yards. If they do not match well they will be all over the place.

Thrillhouse700
02-05-2010, 16:34
hmmm ok, im not worried much of recoil. I have the spec ops stock and have put about 10 slugs through it and it does not hurt anymore. The accuracy is my only thing. Not sure if I should get a red dot and play with it or just stick to shooting clays.

Sweet17
02-05-2010, 17:56
I have done a little playing around with an 870 Express 18.5" smooth bore lately. I don't have any targets available to post at the present time, but will the next time I get out. I have no doubt I can defend myself with this rig and slugs out to 75 yards. The last shooting I did was with Brenneke KO slugs,and Remmy Express Wally World stuff five at a time. I was shooting 5" groups,center left and right, and just a little low with the KOs. This was off the corner of the truck bed at 50 yds and a bead sight. The Remmy Sluggers were actually a little better believe it or not,and not low. I considered mounting ghost rings on her,but like the snag free smooooth lines of a plain barrel :cool:. I would be more apt to have the trigger cleaned up than anything.

aippi
02-05-2010, 20:11
You can end threats against you at 100 yards with any sight. Practice.

method
02-05-2010, 21:01
Four Sellior & Bellot slugs at 30 yards, from a Saiga 12.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/394/0000488fi8.jpg

The big full bore slugs like these really run out of steam past 150 yards, and a good shooter with a good gun and ammo can reach out to that maximum effective range.

#5xbr
02-05-2010, 21:36
I have a mossberg model 5500 semi-auto thats 15 yrs old 12 ga
It was cut down to 18.5 from 26 inches, ergo no choke
With a bead sight that really only works from 25 yrds or less I can put every shot on a man sized target. After all any hit with a slug is almost a game ender
Use low recoil 00 buck shot and low recoil RIFLED slugs.This is a basic look,anything you want to add .optics etc... will enhance your situation . regards

Faulkner
02-05-2010, 21:46
Using my 590 with factory ghost rings on a 20 inch improved cylinder barrel I can put 5 for 5 inside of a six inch circle at 100 yards using Federal Hydra Shok Sabot Slugs. Certainly not rifle accuracy, but not bad. I know, I know, sabots are for rifled barrels and they do perform much better with a twist, but I have been very impressed with Hydra Shok Sabots out of smooth bore.

Devin459
02-05-2010, 22:21
It mostly depends on the ammo you're using, and also the gun/barrel. You could expect great accuracy when using brenneke slugs out of a barrel 20+ inches at 50-75 yards with ghost ring. You could still expect decent accuracy out to 100 yards, really though practice is the key. Not saying practice will make an unaccurate gun accurate, but you will learn where to place the sights when shooting. As for the "cheap" red dot. I would highly recommend you save more money and buy a quality one, because in the end, you WILL be buying another after the "cheap" one breaks and end up spending more than you would have with a single good one. Buckshot and birdshot alone is enough to shatter or break the internals and/or window of a cheap red dot. Slugs will demolish them. Trust me Ive seen it happen the first day, lol.

Puppy
02-05-2010, 23:33
It mostly depends on the ammo you're using, and also the gun/barrel. You could expect great accuracy when using brenneke slugs out of a barrel 20+ inches at 50-75 yards with ghost ring. You could still expect decent accuracy out to 100 yards, really though practice is the key. Not saying practice will make an unaccurate gun accurate, but you will learn where to place the sights when shooting. As for the "cheap" red dot. I would highly recommend you save more money and buy a quality one, because in the end, you WILL be buying another after the "cheap" one breaks and end up spending more than you would have with a single good one. Buckshot and birdshot alone is enough to shatter or break the internals and/or window of a cheap red dot. Slugs will demolish them. Trust me Ive seen it happen the first day, lol.

Well said Devin, I agree 110%

dorkweed
02-06-2010, 17:37
With a dedicated slug barrel, a 4x scope and a good rest......... 2-3" groups at 100 yards are very doable.

Ramjet38
02-06-2010, 18:21
With a dedicated slug barrel, a 4x scope and a good rest......... 2-3" groups at 100 yards are very doable.

What does a dedicated slug barrel mean; a rifled barrel? The topic is smooth bore, and if that is your intention then why dedicated? Sorry, don't mean to be sarcastic, but I'm confused. :dunno:

Ramjet38
02-06-2010, 18:23
Four Sellior & Bellot slugs at 30 yards, from a Saiga 12.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/394/0000488fi8.jpg

The big full bore slugs like these really run out of steam past 150 yards, and a good shooter with a good gun and ammo can reach out to that maximum effective range.

That there is a good group...I don't care who you are! :wow:

dorkweed
02-06-2010, 18:45
What does a dedicated slug barrel mean; a rifled barrel? The topic is smooth bore, and if that is your intention then why dedicated? Sorry, don't mean to be sarcastic, but I'm confused. :dunno:

There are "dedicated slug barrels" for a variety of makes of shotguns. Yes, they do have rifling in them. However, I wasn't "arguing", I was just saying!!!!:upeyes:

Even with a smoothbore barrel, with the right ammo, scope and rest; those kind of groups are still quite doable. Maybe not quite as easily, but doable.

Thrillhouse700
02-06-2010, 21:38
yeah devin you are correct on the red dot. I am using a mossy 500 with 18.5" and or 28" and wally world remmy slugs. Just wasn't sure if it was worth it shooting this at the range. I think next time I go I will probably take her out and give it a go. Maybe I will have a decent sight by then.

Basically with the spec ops stock it makes me dip my head down lower to line up the bead. So was wondering if it was worth it or not to red dot it to bring the sight picture up when shooting slugs. Thanks for the replies guys.

Now any suggestion on a decent red dot? Or possibly a scope?

Would I look like a noob with a scope on a shotgun at the range? I have never seen anyone with a scope at the range I go to.

Devin459
02-06-2010, 21:56
yeah devin you are correct on the red dot. I am using a mossy 500 with 18.5" and or 28" and wally world remmy slugs. Just wasn't sure if it was worth it shooting this at the range. I think next time I go I will probably take her out and give it a go. Maybe I will have a decent sight by then.

Basically with the spec ops stock it makes me dip my head down lower to line up the bead. So was wondering if it was worth it or not to red dot it to bring the sight picture up when shooting slugs. Thanks for the replies guys.

Now any suggestion on a decent red dot? Or possibly a scope?

Would I look like a noob with a scope on a shotgun at the range? I have never seen anyone with a scope at the range I go to.

I would try something like a Hakko red dot.

Nest
02-06-2010, 22:51
Red dots and scopes are pretty common on shot guns now. They have gottenvery popular with turkey hunting, and a lot of people deer hunt with shotguns and slugs.

I have had great luck with a BSA red dot from Bass Pro on my shotgun. I've got a FN Police Tactical Shotgun with a 18" barrel and collapsible stock. Probably put 200-300 3" slugs and 000 buck through it and the scope still works perfectly, and holds it's zero. As far as accuracy I can shoot a 3" group at 100 yards, and about a 1" group at 50 yards with remington rifled slugs and shooting from prone or a bench.

Shotguns aren't precision weapons in my opinion. So I wouldn't worry about spending bug bucks on high end slugs. The remingtons, winchesters, and such will shoot good enough groups for hunting and self defense. Meaning any slug made by a reputable ammunition manufacturer will shoot 3-4 MOA.

Glocker08
02-06-2010, 23:33
I have a bunch of rifled slugs for my shotgun, shot a few out of my 18.5" and 28". Could never really judge the accuracy due to having just a bead sight. Not to mention I only really ever shoot clays with the gun. So what kind of accuracy could one expect out of a rifled slug? Would it be enough to put a cheapo red dot on the shotgun just to mess around with? Seeing as how I can't afford a nice set of sights right now.

There all also smooth bore slugs specifically designed for use in smooth bore shotguns. Federal TruBall slugs come to mind.

DougW
02-07-2010, 10:52
Using either Winchester or Fiocci reduced recoil slugs, my factory Benelli M1 with the ghost ring sights will hold 4" at 100 yards all the time. I have hit "human size" targets out to 150 yards. I think the good sights make the difference. I am sure with a premium slug it would do better.

fowler
02-09-2010, 18:25
Killed many dozens of deer with a Ithaca smoothbore deerslayer out to 80-90yds and most at 50-60yards. WW slugs and German Brenneke K.O.,s. A good shooting smoothbore is good out 100yds minute of deer. My pals 1100 smoothbore deer gun shoots paper plates all day at 100yds. Paper plate groups are what you want and all kill shots.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-10-2010, 19:26
you will also need natural talent.

bandmasterjf
02-10-2010, 19:40
i use an ic choke with a 28'' barrel and turkey sights. I've got it sighted in at 75 yards and get about a 3'' group.

Angry Fist
02-10-2010, 19:49
A few years back, I had a Mossberg 500 20" bbl, and decided to put a weaver rail and a red dot cheapo from WM. Damned if it didn't land on the money at 30 yards every time. Used Winchester 3" slugs most every time.

paperairplane
02-10-2010, 20:09
Blah blah crappity blah.

Q: Slug accuracy out of smooth bore at 50-100 yds
A: 4MOA

The sites have nothing to do with accuracy. The gun is as accurate as it is - regardless of what you put on it.

Take the $50 you want to spend on a cheap red dot and spend it on a few boxes of slugs and practice with what you have.

Angry Fist
02-10-2010, 20:13
Blah blah crappity blah.

The sites have nothing to do with accuracy. The gun is as accurate as it is - regardless of what you put on it.

Take the $50 you want to spend on a cheap red dot and spend it on a few boxes of slugs and practice with what you have.

Agreed. I bought mine just for a photo op and to piss off a goose-gunner. The red-dot ain't no better than the bead, and more slugs is more fun! Buy the cheepo red fiber-optic clip-on front sight if you have to accessorize. It doesn't look nearly as retarded.

Devin459
02-10-2010, 20:31
Blah blah crappity blah.

I'm sorry but that statement is just ridiculous. I find it hard to believe you would go into battle and if given a choice between the two, you would choose a gun with no sights just as easily as you would choose a gun with sights. So why would you go slug hunting, and not have sights that make the "shooter" more accurate? If it means having a cleaner kill shot? Sights have EVERYTHING to do with shooter accuracy, just as well as stance, and breathing and so on.. Not everyone is Super shooter blindfold my eyes and shoot a penny man. My GR has windage and elevation. You can adjust those sights at a certain distance at the range, and know where the projectile is going to go when you're aiming at that elk 125 yards away, and no guessing game involved. Granted I wouldn't mess with the windage settings, but you get my drift. A good red dot is even better. Option to change reticle depending on what the lighting and foliage require(some reticles are easier to see in certain areas than others).

Angry Fist
02-10-2010, 20:43
Dude, its a shotgun...slug or not. So many of them have a bead only, if even that. A proven, reliable, no-frills sight of its own. The sight radius of even short shotguns is enough for you to reasonably hit a target with enough practice. Shotgun shells are so cheap, practice should not be an issue for anyone. If you want to shoot accurately with slugs, just use whatever sighting system works best for you. And don't let anyone tell you different. :thumbsup:

method
02-10-2010, 20:46
Blah blah crappity blah.

Sights may have nothing to do with inherent accuracy, but they have a whole helluva lot to do with practical accuracy.

bandmasterjf
02-10-2010, 21:53
Sights may have nothing to do with inherent accuracy, but they have a whole helluva lot to do with practical accuracy.

Very true. I've got a beretta neos plinker and hate the sights on them. It's supposed to be a target gun but the sights are huge. I could get about a 3" pattern with it with the open sights at 25 yards. I put a red dot on it and it shrunk to an inch, I imagine with a magnified scope it would be even better.

B Coyote
02-10-2010, 22:44
In my experience, slugs are minute-of-man out to 75 or 80 yards, and beyond that if the shooter is up to the task.

bc

DPris
02-11-2010, 01:50
Sights have EVERYTHING to do with accuracy.

A bead and a receiver groove (or a bead & no groove) do not provide precise and repeatable aiming points in a sight picture from shot to shot. Sights do.
A bead cannot be adjusted for elevation or windage to put a slug where you aim the gun. Sights can.
I found in testing years ago a typical bead would totally block out a head-sized target at 50-75 yards, and on older guns without an elevated bead the point of impact at that distance was way off. You may easily find yourself holding high and completely obscuring your entire target.
Depending on whether your bead is on a pedestal or just screwed into the barrel, elevation with slugs may be right on at 50 yards, or nowhere close.

Beads at 100 yards are near useless, in most shotguns.
Point of impact varies between slugs of differing types, weights, and speeds. You can't adjust to match with a bead.

For buckshot only, and at close ranges, a bead will do. For slugs, you're handicapped with a bead out past 40 yards or so, depending on the gun.
Why limit yourself and your abilities?

You want slug accuracy at distance, sights are the way to go. Otherwise, you're just guessing.

Denis

mixflip
02-11-2010, 02:58
Will rifled slugs be any more accurate out of a smooth bore vs a sabot out of a smooth bore? My understanding is that sabots are specifically designed for rifled shotgun barrels.

Sabots wont have much spin out of a smooth bore correct? If any since its smooth bore? But a rifled slug will have just enough spin out of a smooth bore to make it accurate enough to hit a man sized target at 100 yards because the air will turn the slug via the rifled slots on the slug body? Correct?

It made sense in my head anyway? lol.

bandmasterjf
02-11-2010, 08:59
Will rifled slugs be any more accurate out of a smooth bore vs a sabot out of a smooth bore? My understanding is that sabots are specifically designed for rifled shotgun barrels.

Sabots wont have much spin out of a smooth bore correct? If any since its smooth bore? But a rifled slug will have just enough spin out of a smooth bore to make it accurate enough to hit a man sized target at 100 yards because the air will turn the slug via the rifled slots on the slug body? Correct?

It made sense in my head anyway? lol.

I've never tried it, but I would think a saboted slug would tumble horribly out of a raffled barrel. It wouldn't spin at all. It may not be accurate, but whatever it hit would have a nasty hole in it.

Puppy
02-11-2010, 10:21
Mixflip,

Well the "rifling" on a "rifled" slug isn't designed to rotate it in flight, the "rifling" is designed on the slug itself so that the slug can squish down easier if an operator shoots it through a choke.

As far as sabot slugs, they are the pinnacle of slug technology, unmatched range & accuracy by any other slugs, but I've never gotten them to shoot very well out of smooth bores only rifled ones, I am guessing that since they are not rotating while in flight when fired out of a smooth bore that when the sabot separates from the slug it causes the slug to wobble a bit.

But out of a rifled barrel ... sabot slugs are da shiznit.

mixflip
02-11-2010, 11:02
That makes sense. Thanks, (mental note* do not waste money on expensive sabot slugs since I dont own a rifled shotgun)

DPris
02-11-2010, 11:27
Sabots can still do reasonably well out of a smoothbore. Some tumble, some don't. I've tried them in four or five shotguns, with varying results.
As noted above- rifled slugs don't spin either.
Denis