OC gunsmiths in Orange, CA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OC gunsmiths in Orange, CA

pistolwrench
02-05-2010, 15:13
These jerks are using pics of MY work, taken from MY site, representing it as their own.
http://www.ocgunsmith.com/1911customs.html
http://www.ocgunsmith.com/1911magwell1.jpg
http://www.ocgunsmith.com/1911wkrsight.jpg
http://www.ocgunsmith.com/1911wkfrntsight.jpg
:eek:
Contact Information:
Ade's Gun Shop
223 S Tustin St
Orange, CA 92866
714-744-3373 Store
714-744-0150 Fax
Home of the friendliest Gunshop in town.
Email to:
emily@adesgunshop.com
adesgunshop@hotmail.com
adesgunshop@aol.com

Anybody here in their neighborhood?

GVFlyer
02-05-2010, 15:17
Why don't you call them and tell them to knock it off?

pistolwrench
02-05-2010, 15:20
Cause it's more fun to ***** about it for while!
:steamed:
Boy!!!! They got some nerve!:steamed:

Eyescream
02-05-2010, 15:48
That's hilarious. They didn't even change the filenames of the images they stole.

Ought to make friends with a lawyer and have him send them a sternly-worded letter.

Quack
02-06-2010, 19:18
funny you should mention Ade's. I was just there a few weeks back when i was working in the area.
it's a small shop and had almost nothing in there.

glock2740
02-09-2010, 21:25
Sue his ass into hell Chuck.

AZ Husker
02-09-2010, 22:00
I like his work a little better Chuck! ;o)

Jack Black
02-09-2010, 22:21
They put the following disclaimer on the first page, though it doesn't excuse what they've done:

Any Pictures Shown On This Entire Website Are For Basic Product Representation Purposes Only And Are NOT Parts Manufactured By OCG.
Any Pictures Shown Of Parts Installed On A Weapon Does Not Show Work Completed By OCG.
Any Pictures Shown Are The Property Of Their Respective Copyright Holders And Are Being Used To Sell Their Products Not OCG Machine Work.
Since The Public Has Such A High Interest In OCG;s 1911 Work A Picture Essay Is Being Prepared Of Actual Work Completed By OCG And Will Be Posted Shortly

hasselbach
02-09-2010, 22:27
So what's the issue here? Pretty good disclaimer.

You need to focus on real problems...

AZ Husker
02-09-2010, 23:51
They only stuck that disclaimer on last week after the plagiarism came out.

ronin.45
02-10-2010, 00:32
That's Bull Chuck. You should definitely contact them and threaten legal action. Your work is top notch and no one else should be able to claim it as their own.

faawrenchbndr
02-10-2010, 05:43
Just sent them an e-mail with my comments.

glock2740
02-10-2010, 09:06
They put the following disclaimer on the first page, though it doesn't excuse what they've done:

Any Pictures Shown On This Entire Website Are For Basic Product Representation Purposes Only And Are NOT Parts Manufactured By OCG.
Any Pictures Shown Of Parts Installed On A Weapon Does Not Show Work Completed By OCG.
Any Pictures Shown Are The Property Of Their Respective Copyright Holders And Are Being Used To Sell Their Products Not OCG Machine Work.
Since The Public Has Such A High Interest In OCG;s 1911 Work A Picture Essay Is Being Prepared Of Actual Work Completed By OCG And Will Be Posted Shortly

So what's the issue here? Pretty good disclaimer.

You need to focus on real problems...
You two work there or something? :dunno:

Quack
02-10-2010, 11:26

since Chuck doesn't know Ade's, how are they selling his work?

Jack Black
02-11-2010, 01:12
You two work there or something? :dunno:

If you'll read more carefully, you'll notice I said it doesn't excuse what he's done.

nolt
02-11-2010, 02:37
it could be kinda fun if they were directly linking the pics from you :whistling:

HAIL CAESAR
02-11-2010, 14:19
I can't find on the site were the pics are.

MD357
02-11-2010, 14:38
Looks like they ripped off some pics from Rock River and EB too.

akapennypincher
02-12-2010, 10:40
These jerks are using pics of MY work, taken from MY site, representing it as their own.

Having work as a Photojournalist 20 years, I looked at your HOME PAGE (http://www.rogersprecision.com), nice pictures but no where on the home page did you put © symbol protecting your photo? NO WHY NOT?

IMHO the offending party might have thought your photo were in the public domain (http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html), and any one could use them because you did not put the ©, any where on your home pages, or other pages on your web-site.

Maybe you are the clueless about the © Symbol.

ilgunguygt
02-12-2010, 11:44
Having work as a Photojournalist 20 years, I looked at your HOME PAGE (http://www.rogersprecision.com), nice pictures but no where on the home page did you put © symbol protecting your photo? NO WHY NOT?

IMHO the offending party might have thought your photo were in the public domain (http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html), and any one could use them because you did not put the ©, any where on your home pages, or other pages on your web-site.

Your text is annoying. And not just visually.

Rinspeed
02-12-2010, 12:03

Yup, I am grumpy at times.

pennypincher can trigger it in a heartbeat. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

faawrenchbndr
02-12-2010, 14:13

IMHO the offending party might have thought your photo were in the ....., and any one could use them because you did not put the (c), any where on your home pages, or other pages on your web-site.

Cheese and rice,.......has the world lost sight of right and wrong.
A man should not need a symbol to protect his work. A pistol smith that
would take another pistolsmith's pictures and IMPLY that this is his work,
is a scumbag pistolhack.

I got a reply e-mail from this 'hack in question. Reply was "it is what it is"
What a ******!

Eyescream
02-12-2010, 15:12

Maybe you are clueless about copyright law.

hatidua
02-12-2010, 15:23

Based on this post, you obviously don't know squat about copyright law or public domain. It's sad when a complete hack can be at an occupation for "20 years" but it apparently happens.

As an aside, image theft is rife and recent studies commissioned by both Getty and Corbis have found that over HALF of all web content used in advertising is misappropriated. IRRESPECTIVE OF COPYRIGHT NOTICE.

Quack
02-12-2010, 16:32
Q. How do I copyright my works?

A. A copyright originates at the moment a work is created. For a written work, the copyright comes into existence as the words are typed, printed, or saved to a computer disk. For a photograph, the copyright is created at the moment the image is developed. If a photograph is taken with a modern digital camera, the copyright originates at the time the image is saved on a computer disk or on a hard drive. As long as the work exists in tangible form or can be understood or reproduced with the aid of a machine, it is copyrighted.

Q. Do I have to file anything in Washington, D.C., in order to get a copyright?

A. No. A copyright is secured automatically when a work is created. This concept is frequently misunderstood. Some people still believe that there are formalities required in order to create a copyright. This is not true. Under the latest version of the Copyright Act, neither publication nor registration with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress is required in order to secure full copyright protection. When a work is created, it is automatically copyrighted.

Q. What is registration?

A. Although a copyright is created automatically when a work is created, there is a procedure for registering a copyright with the Library of Congress. Remember, registration is not required for copyright protection.

There are three benefits to registering a copyright. First, registration creates a public record of a copyright. Second, registration of a copyright is required in order to file a lawsuit for copyright infringement. Third, if a copyright is registered before there is an infringement or within three months after the first publication of a work, the owner of the copyright can claim certain alternate damages plus attorneyís fees. These alternate damages are called statutory damages and they can be awarded in a sum of up to $100,000 for willful infringements. The registration process itself, does not alter the fact that the owner of a copyright is always entitled to his or her actual damages plus any profits earned by the infringner. However, the suggestion that statutory damages and attorneyís fees are available can act as a catalyst for the quick settlement of a copyright infringement claim.

Quack
02-12-2010, 16:37
On my camera (D300) i put the copyright notice in the comments field (in-camera), that way it's in the EXIF data. I don't register my photo's though since i have too many of them. The couple of time's my photo's were used without my permission, a quick email get's them removed.
In another instance the person that used one of my photo's opted to pay for it since they used it in a print add.

Eyescream
02-12-2010, 16:51
On my camera (D300) i put the copyright notice in the comments field (in-camera), that way it's in the EXIF data. I don't register my photo's though since i have too many of them. The couple of time's my photo's were used without my permission, a quick email get's them removed.
In another instance the person that used one of my photo's opted to pay for it since they used it in a print add.

I did the same when I got my XTi. I don't expect it to ever come up, since I only take pictures to please myself and rarely ever put them out in the public; but you never know.

akapennypincher
02-12-2010, 17:56
Based on this post, you obviously don't know squat about copyright law or public domain. It's sad when a complete hack can be at an occupation for "20 years" but it apparently happens.

What is the reason IYHO I was a HACK.

As an aside, image theft is rife and recent studies commissioned by both Getty and Corbis have found that over HALF of all web content used in advertising is misappropriated. IRRESPECTIVE OF COPYRIGHT NOTICE.

So is Getty and Corbis going after these people who have used the work of their photographers with out payment?

akapennypincher
02-12-2010, 18:00
A pistol smith that
would take another pistolsmith's pictures and IMPLY that this is his work,
is a scumbag pistolhack.

I agree with you, and one famous America (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2449/was-martin-luther-king-jr-a-plagiarist) was a plagiarist, and got a PHd for his copying of anothers work.

Eyescream
02-12-2010, 18:06
So is Getty and Corbis going after these people who have used the work of their photographers with out payment?

Definitely are. The company I work for got a cease and desist (or pay us craploads of money) letter when Getty found out that we were using an unlicensed copy of one of their images when our idiot webmaster decided to go out on his own and find pictures without going through my department and our subscription-based image libraries.

I still don't know how that jackass has a job.

akapennypincher
02-12-2010, 18:19
Definitely are. The company I work for got a cease and desist (or pay us craploads of money) letter when Getty found out that we were using an unlicensed copy of one of their images when our idiot webmaster decided to go out on his own and find pictures without going through my department and our subscription-based image libraries.

I still don't know how that jackass has a job.

Thanks for the reply.

HAIL CAESAR
02-12-2010, 21:33

Having a wife that is a Professional Photographer for 20 years and making a darn good living at it...you are full of crappola.

Your pictures and your work is your intellectual property. If anyone uses it without your expressed permission for monetary gain ( which is a broad definition with a good lawyer) you can sue the pants off them. You don't have to have them copyrighted or watermarked ( although that makes it easier to enforce).

Case in point my Mrs. caught another scumbucket using her portraits and presenting them to clients as his own. A telephone call did not resolve the problem, a "cease and desist" did not stop him, and he laughed and said "go get a lawyer and take me to court". So I called mine and a little trip to court taught the guy the laws of intellectual property and with the damage settlement he is out of business and still hurting as far as I know. And I am happy and glad we put the thumbscrews to this bottomfeeder and he left the court room literally crying and sobbing how the settlement was going to cost him everything he has.:wavey:

It was easy to prove as the persons in the photos were called into court and asked if they remember the photo and who took them. Then was asked if they had ever even seen the defendant before in their lives let alone had the person ever taken their photos or had their permission to use them ( modeling release). The guy was screwed and tattooed in minutes.:rofl:

ronin.45
02-12-2010, 23:00
Good post Quack.
The facts and nothing but.

pistolwrench
02-13-2010, 00:48
They must be having a 'free internet' week at the local library.
aka is way too active, and he would not pay for the internet.

Ever see that odd man at a terminal, looking furtive? You know, the one that you would keep your daughter 200yds from at all costs?

He has stirred up some comments.
Myself.......I'll do my best to ignore him. The free internet week will be over soon.

akapennypincher
02-14-2010, 18:12
Having a wife that is a Professional Photographer for 20 years and making a darn good living at it...you are full of crappola.

Your pictures and your work is your intellectual property. If anyone uses it without your expressed permission for monetary gain ( which is a broad definition with a good lawyer) you can sue the pants off them. You don't have to have them copyrighted or watermarked ( although that makes it easier to enforce).

Case in point my Mrs. caught another scumbucket using her portraits and presenting them to clients as his own. A telephone call did not resolve the problem, a "cease and desist" did not stop him, and he laughed and said "go get a lawyer and take me to court". So I called mine and a little trip to court taught the guy the laws of intellectual property and with the damage settlement he is out of business and still hurting as far as I know. And I am happy and glad we put the thumbscrews to this bottomfeeder and he left the court room literally crying and sobbing how the settlement was going to cost him everything he has.:wavey:

It was easy to prove as the persons in the photos were called into court and asked if they remember the photo and who took them. Then was asked if they had ever even seen the defendant before in their lives let alone had the person ever taken their photos or had their permission to use them ( modeling release). The guy was screwed and tattooed in minutes.:rofl:

Well it is good that your wife had the financial resources to hire an attorney to protect her work, sadly many people do not have the financial resource to protect copyright, trademark, or register logo etc. Attorney normaly do not take these cases on acontingency basis, i know that from one personal experence.

My field of photograph was editorial, and I freelanced for many years, many assignment were taken from photo editors with no written contract, just good faith, and most paid as promissed.

I am sure my images were useed with out payment some time, and in fact one agency I was affiliated with took me for over 20K, by the time I found out, they had file bankruptcy, so as they say no blood from a turnip. I was happy I got my images back.

I always stamped each slide I took, and submitted with the © symbol my name and year the image was taken. Same was done with raw film of news, and prints.

Honestly honest people respect the © pay for usage, and those who ripped me off got away with it. Many were photo agencys overseas who I trusted they were paying me what was promised on stock, or assignment sales. But had no way of check their book.

Like I said I honestly do not understand when the gentleman who started this thread did not put a © symbol on each page of his web-site, but apparently he has no answer, as he did not answer the question when asked before.

jayzazueta
02-14-2010, 20:55
How far are ya from pro force in Brea? I was just there on Friday. I might need some stuff done to my g30 and P2000