IR pistol laser availability? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IR pistol laser availability?

nnickatnight
02-05-2010, 16:50
Does anyone make an IR pistol laser that they choose to sell to the public? I can get a MARS rifle unit which I may end up getting but I'd prefer a handgun unit.

GySgt D
02-11-2010, 21:45
Sort of; I bought another one yesterday..

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=M904_5S Ignore the remark in the item description about it being a visible red laser. I think they just do that to keep the FDA off their back. The key item is the "904nm".

Purchase a Beamshot 1000 from elsewhere on the net (roughly $50), and swap out the red laser diode for the 904nm unit in the link above. You will probably want a push-button tail cap for it, which will set you back another $12. Depending on where you order the Beamshot, you may have to shuck out another $15 for the rail mount (dishonest dealers swipe the mount from the package and sell it to you for extra).

Quite a few of us on another site which shall not be named have been running this setup on our AR15's for the past year or so.

Otherwise, commercial IR weapon lights are more-or-less unobtainable for all but LEO departments and military units (no individual officer/soldier/Marine sales). Grey market stuff is another matter, of course...

I live in a heavily wooded area, so there aren't a whole lot of convenient places to test the unit out at long range. The dot is however plainly visible out to the max distance I can see from the back forty; about 500 yards, using PVS-14 gen III.

That all being said, I'm not a salesman for the company. My setup works; some other people have had issues (mainly zero mechanical skills; they end up destroying or damaging the diode and/or the housing in the process of installing/focusing it). Therefore, YMMV.

Total cost is a measly $170 or so. Darn near a thousand or more to get one off the grey market. Which would be naughty, anyway.