Anyone work over or have a Smith work over a Colt Goverment [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work over or have a Smith work over a Colt Goverment

akapennypincher
02-05-2010, 19:10
For Street Carry Gun, what did you do to it, who did it, what was the cost, and how about some after pictures.

bac1023
02-05-2010, 20:33
All I have is the Colt WWI reproduction done by Ted Yost.

drc767
02-05-2010, 21:10
I have a Colt Gov't in 38 Super getting worked over by Dave Helton right now. It should be a pretty nice pistol for ccw when I get it back. Here is a list of what he is doing. i am having him Bobtail the frame, as well.

Machine Slide and Install Novak Tritium Sights
Lower and Flair Ejection Port and Bevel Lower Inside Edge
Ed Brown Extended Ejector Installed
Machine Frame and install Ed Brown Memory Groove Grip Saftey
Wilson Narrow Extended Thumb Safety Installed
EGW Hammer, Sear, Disconnector installed with pull at 3.5lbs
Ed Brown Aluminum Match Trigger
Ed Brown Flat Checkered Main Spring Housing
Kart National Match Barrel and Bushing Fitted to Slide
Ed Brown Extended Magazine Release
Complete Reliability Tune up
Install New Recoil Spring, Main Spring and Firing Pin Spring
Carry Dehorn of all sharp edges
McCormick Exotic Rose Wood Grips
Finished in Satin Black Ten Ring Polymer Coating
Snake Skin Front Grip/MSH Strap treatment
Ball Cut Slide Dust Cover

AZ Husker
02-05-2010, 21:16
Done by Chuck Rogers. I ain't tellin' what or how much...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/Arizona1911/IMG_1996.jpg

fredj338
02-05-2010, 22:25
All the Govt. Mdl. needs is good sights, trigger work & maybe a beavertail grip safety, but I've been shooting mine for decades w/o one. Bevel of the mag well is nice too, helps w/ reloads. Some front strap treatment, I like stippling, but grip tape works just as well. The more you do, the more likely something will fail.

M1A Shooter
02-05-2010, 22:47
ive carried a basic milspec and a trp. a cusom gun would be cool but my list of features would be mostly aesthetic as the milspec was a perfectly good gun.

akapennypincher
02-06-2010, 10:05
I have a Colt Gov't in 38 Super getting worked over by Dave Helton right now. It should be a pretty nice pistol for ccw when I get it back. Here is a list of what he is doing. i am having him Bobtail the frame, as well.

Machine Slide and Install Novak Tritium Sights
Lower and Flair Ejection Port and Bevel Lower Inside Edge
Ed Brown Extended Ejector Installed
Machine Frame and install Ed Brown Memory Groove Grip Saftey
Wilson Narrow Extended Thumb Safety Installed
EGW Hammer, Sear, Disconnector installed with pull at 3.5lbs
Ed Brown Aluminum Match Trigger
Ed Brown Flat Checkered Main Spring Housing
Kart National Match Barrel and Bushing Fitted to Slide
Ed Brown Extended Magazine Release
Complete Reliability Tune up
Install New Recoil Spring, Main Spring and Firing Pin Spring
Carry Dehorn of all sharp edges
McCormick Exotic Rose Wood Grips
Finished in Satin Black Ten Ring Polymer Coating
Snake Skin Front Grip/MSH Strap treatment
Ball Cut Slide Dust Cover

Sounds pricy.

akapennypincher
02-06-2010, 10:06
Done by Chuck Rogers. I ain't tellin' what or how much...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/Arizona1911/IMG_1996.jpg

Chuck's machine work is like the best, and pricey. His web site (http://www.rogersprecision.com) is out of this world.

pistolwrench
02-06-2010, 15:50
The Taurus PT1911 was designed SPECIFICALLY for users like akapennypincher.
He is clueless and always has been.

pistolwrench
02-06-2010, 15:53
He is honestly, the only one here, that pisses me off.

drc767
02-06-2010, 15:56
Sounds pricy.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "pricey" is.....

AZ Husker
02-06-2010, 17:33
Gotta bring Michelob, no Old Milwaukee!

akapennypincher
02-08-2010, 18:41
The Taurus PT1911 was designed SPECIFICALLY for users like akapennypincher.
He is clueless and always has been.

Chuckie I think you just hate it when someone build an affordable 1911 like the PT 1911 (http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/pt_080505/index.html), are you still upset about Captain Eagle telling the world truth about 1911.

I am still partial to the Colt's, like Captain Eagle was, and was really impress with the Special Combat Government (http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q63-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx) I saw at the NRA Show last year.

Speaking of the Special Combat Government my neighbor bought for one recently, it works flawless out of the box, but I understand the Colt Smiths make em run before they leave the factory.

CMG
02-08-2010, 19:39
If you like the work the Colt 'smiths do, send it back to the Colt custom shop, they'll probably turn it around faster than any "big-name" 'smith.

The Taurus PT1911 serves a purpose, but it will never appeal to the discerning 1911 fan, regardless what hip-pocket reviewers have to say.

bac1023
02-08-2010, 20:20
If you like the work the Colt 'smiths do, send it back to the Colt custom shop, they'll probably turn it around faster than any "big-name" 'smith.

Comparing Colt's "Custom shop" to a big name smith is ridiculous.

AZ Husker
02-08-2010, 20:48
Agreed. The most you'll get is the same standard as they originally put out, with custom parts.

CMG
02-08-2010, 21:34

Ya think?! :supergrin:

That was never my intention, just noting the 'pincher was bragging about Colts working from the box, so perhaps those folks are his best bet.

bac1023
02-09-2010, 04:20
Ya think?! :supergrin:

That was never my intention, just noting the 'pincher was bragging about Colts working from the box, so perhaps those folks are his best bet.

:cool:

akapennypincher
02-09-2010, 05:08

Pretty guns is nice, but honestly if it don't work, pretty is like a car with no engine. It just don't take you know where.

1911's first and foremost got to fire, eject the fire case, feed the next round, and fire again time after time is that too much to ask for a 1911 out of the box?

Yes we all know those who write for the Gun Rag never say nothing is bad like it is no good, not worth the money, poorly made, even if that is TRUTH. Because they would wind up in Court, and worst loose advertisers.

drc767
02-09-2010, 05:18
Pretty guns is nice, but honestly if it don't work, pretty is like a car with no engine. It just don't take you know where.

1911's first and foremost got to fire, eject the fire case, feed the next round, and fire again time after time is that too much to ask for a 1911 out of the box?

Yes we all know those who write for the Gun Rag never say nothing is bad like it is no good, not worth the money, poorly made, even if that is TRUTH. Because they would wind up in Court, and worst loose advertisers.

Gotta love the public school system in the United States....:)

Cochese
02-09-2010, 05:52
For Street Carry Gun, what did you do to it, who did it, what was the cost, and how about some after pictures.

Sounds pricy.

Chuck's machine work is like the best, and pricey. His web site (http://www.rogersprecision.com) is out of this world.

Chuckie I think you just hate it when someone build an affordable 1911 like the PT 1911 (http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/pt_080505/index.html), are you still upset about Captain Eagle telling the world truth about 1911.

I am still partial to the Colt's, like Captain Eagle was, and was really impress with the Special Combat Government (http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q63-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx) I saw at the NRA Show last year.

Speaking of the Special Combat Government my neighbor bought for one recently, it works flawless out of the box, but I understand the Colt Smiths make em run before they leave the factory.

:rollingeyes:

DAT85
02-09-2010, 06:08
Can it get any better than this?
I just start reading this thread and I found out that I didn't have to buy my Ed Brown KC or my Les Baers,I could have just gotten a PT1911 and saved a lot of money!:whistling:

Just remember.....drinking sterno will make you go blind.
DAT85

Don-wayne
02-09-2010, 08:51
drc767

I had Dave Helton work over a gun for me. Excellent work,fair prices and great turn around times. Let us know when you get it and don't forget the PICS.......:wavey:

drc767
02-11-2010, 16:45
drc767

I had Dave Helton work over a gun for me. Excellent work,fair prices and great turn around times. Let us know when you get it and don't forget the PICS.......:wavey:

Here is the update I got from Dave today.....Sounds like it is coming along. I am looking forward to getting it back.

"....I have the Bobtail done, the snake skin done, the ramp cut in the frame, the grip safety done. Still have the slide to frame fit to get done, the barrel and bushing fit to the slide, the dehorning of the pistol, fit the new trigger to the frame,fit the new ignition parts and thumb safety and tune for a nice 3.5 pull, machine the slide for the novak sights, blend the end of the slide to match the frame, fit the new extractor and extended ejector and tune for reliability,ball cut the slide, flair the ejection port, test fire and apply final flat black finish."

CMG
02-11-2010, 18:31
"....Still have the slide to frame fit to get done, the barrel and bushing fit to the slide, the dehorning of the pistol, fit the new trigger to the frame,fit the new ignition parts and thumb safety and tune for a nice 3.5 pull, machine the slide for the novak sights, blend the end of the slide to match the frame, fit the new extractor and extended ejector and tune for reliability,ball cut the slide, flair the ejection port, test fire and apply final flat black finish."

Is that all? Should be done tomorrow, then.

:rofl:

jeremy stanke
02-11-2010, 18:42
im glad to hear some good things about dave, i too am sending one of my 1911s to him next week for some work

Don-wayne
02-12-2010, 12:38
You wont regret it. He really does nice work.

drc
looking forward to seeing the finished product.

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
02-12-2010, 13:59

The 1911 served this country for decades. It still serves in many capacities with some units. It is THE combat handgun that has done it all, and all over the world. A properly built, MILSPEC (loose) 1911 is an extremely reliable pistol. Period.

If eight companies made Glock of varying quality, tightness, fit and metals, that then used magazines from 10 different companies, I would bet that Glock would not have their well deserved reputation for extreme reliability.

You have to understand that the 1911 endured that very thing in its 99 years of life. The 1911 is still the king of fighting handguns. Period.

If one does not prefer the 1911 platform, that if more than fine. I love the 1911 and recognize its shortcomings, however it remains to my eyes the best thing we have got for the purpose at hand. I also love Glocks and recognize their shortcomings as well.

There is no reason to hate on the 1911 platform, if you dont like it, then dont buy it or carry it. Simple as that, but dont go off sprouting nonsense please.

NYS Ret.5763
02-12-2010, 14:02
Have a circa 1984(5)? Gov't Model(Series 70)that I purchased new while stationed at Ft.bragg. It's been to the 'Smithy @ Gunsite Ranch. Think Ted Yost was still there at the time(2004). Polished/throated,trigger job,ext.thumb safety,Novak sights dovetailed front/back. Simple stuff. Oh yeah, a new stronger plunger-tube installed too. Think I spent close to $500(looking for my receipt..........it's here somewhere:whistling:). Nice work.Hope that helps!:supergrin:

hatidua
02-12-2010, 15:17
A properly built, MILSPEC (loose) 1911 is an extremely reliable pistol. Period.

Oh boy, the plastic-fantastic anti-1911 crowd is going to pounce on that one!

(well said RedsoxFan4Lyfe, that's certainly been my experience for a number of decades now).

Tactical black
02-12-2010, 16:16
The 1911 served this country for decades. It still serves in many capacities with some units. It is THE combat handgun that has done it all, and all over the world. A properly built, MILSPEC (loose) 1911 is an extremely reliable pistol. Period.

If eight companies made Glock of varying quality, tightness, fit and metals, that then used magazines from 10 different companies, I would bet that Glock would not have their well deserved reputation for extreme reliability.

You have to understand that the 1911 endured that very thing in its 99 years of life. The 1911 is still the king of fighting handguns. Period.

If one does not prefer the 1911 platform, that if more than fine. I love the 1911 and recognize its shortcomings, however it remains to my eyes the best thing we have got for the purpose at hand. I also love Glocks and recognize their shortcomings as well.

There is no reason to hate on the 1911 platform, if you dont like it, then dont buy it or carry it. Simple as that, but dont go off sprouting nonsense please.

That is very well put I could not agree with that statement more. why are there some many hacks that want to disagree with something they know nothing about :dunno:

bubbaskyjacker
02-12-2010, 17:26
its my fav.

drc767
02-13-2010, 11:18
You wont regret it. He really does nice work.

drc
looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I got an email from Dave with a couple progress pictures of my Colt. Looks like it is going to be pretty cool.

"Hi Dave,
Here are some progress pistures of your Colt 38 super. I still have a ways to go.
Thanks, Dave"

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/DSC04920.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/DSC04921.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/DSC04923.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/DSC04924.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/DSC04925.jpg

Don-wayne
02-13-2010, 11:22
Lets face it with all the options of firearms out there. I can't see the reason for haters. If you like Plastic fantastic great. There are some excellent choices out there Glock,XD,M&P etc..... If you love 1911s there are so many to choose from. For me I love to shoot, I love my Glocks and have won alot of matches with them. However every time I pick up one of my fancy 1911s I smile. For me thats enough. After all we are all gun guys. Some love to collect some love to shoot competition. What ever you reason for loveing guns we are all in the same boat. I call it the cool club. :wavey:

Don-wayne
02-13-2010, 11:24
drc
Thanks for the update. Its a nice teaser to break up the wait.