What is the best knife under $150? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best knife under $150?

LarryD1130
02-06-2010, 16:08
I'm interested in buying a new knife. I keep a little pocket knife on me for everyday things but I want I knife that I could defend myself with as well. I'm looking for something with a half sererated blade. I was looking at Spyderco because I heard they were a good brand. I don't want to spend too much money on a knife but if enough people say it's a good knife I'll spend the money for it.

LarryD1130
02-07-2010, 20:29
Are Gerber's decent?

UtahIrishman
02-07-2010, 20:53
I have a Spyderco Endura with the half serrated blade. I like it a great deal. Razor sharp and well balanced. Good knives

Glock2008
02-07-2010, 21:48
Benchmade Griptillian 551s.

eisman
02-07-2010, 22:21
For $150 you can get a decent custom, hand made, knife. Take a look at what's out there and decide what you need.

And, unless you're really good at sharpening them, stay away from serrations. Most people cannot sharpen them worth a dang, and then you're just wasting half the blade length. (Or maybe you just throw your knife away when it gets dull. Or worse, you never really USE it, it just looks neat.) Serrations are a marketing tool gone wrong.

Here's pictures of a couple of knives I've picked up for <$150:

A WC Davis 4" drop point hunter.
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll371/kgc1960/davis-1.jpg

A Keith Sutherland Fighter:
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll371/kgc1960/sutherland.jpg

Both of these are far and away better knives than anything mass produced for anywhere near the same price. And they look better too.

TheLastDaze
02-07-2010, 23:56
For $150 you can get a decent custom, hand made, knife. Take a look at what's out there and decide what you need.

And, unless you're really good at sharpening them, stay away from serrations. Most people cannot sharpen them worth a dang, and then you're just wasting half the blade length. (Or maybe you just throw your knife away when it gets dull. Or worse, you never really USE it, it just looks neat.) Serrations are a marketing tool gone wrong.

Man I couldn't agree more..

OP: I'd stay away from Gerber they aren't to incline to reveal what steel they use, there are really good knives well under $100 you'd be happy with.. as mentioned above.. Heck for $30 plus shipping you could get a Spyderco Tenacious and its an outstanding knife for the money.. Myself I like Kershaw,Spyderco, Benchmade, RAT, Cold Steel. If you want a fixed I just bought a RAT Izula, most excellent neck knife.. $60
I don't do serrations.

c5367
02-08-2010, 00:00
In my experience, spydercos are the best bang for the buck you can find. The endura is a great buy if local laws don't impose a length limit, the delica if there is the typical 3" blade limit ordinance or law in place.

mitchshrader
02-08-2010, 00:52
What do you want it to do? Is any part of using it mission critical? Does fancy steel matter or is a low end disposable clone enough for what you need?

If you say 150$ most folks will tell you about knives over 100$.

If you'll shop LNIB to 'gently used' you can get dozens of knives every year for 20-50$ that work fine for EDC, and some of them retail for WAY more than that. They act just like the expensive versions. Is a box worth 1/3 the price? Not to me..

So in my opinion the best 150$ knife is 3 50$ knives. And two of them will be fixed blades, and I'm lookin' for another folder..

I have snagged real bargains, and telling you about 'em won't identify the bargains waiting on you. They exist. Look at ratings, look at recently discontinued lines, discount specials from the big guys.. and 'once fondled' on various boards. Take some time. I found some 50$ closeouts on 200$ knives I really liked and bought several. THAT is why you take your time.

Hummer
02-08-2010, 17:42
Pocket or sheathed folders are handy but fixed blades are much stronger for serious knife work. I'm not keen on serrated edge blades only because of the sharpening issue so I wouldn't buy an expensive serrated knife without the tools to restore it precisely.

Check out the new Gerber Freeman S30V that I recently got for elk hunting and every day carry. It's a beautiful knife, very well made. It has a great grip with grooves machined in the upper and lower steel of the grip and checkering on the cocobolo wood. On the base of the blade is etched, "USA S30V", which denotes the steel used.

I got this knife with the dark phosphate treated S30V blade, an exclusive from Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0027308516498a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Gerber+Freeman%26acirc%3B%26%23132%3B%26cent%3B+S30V%26Acirc%3B%26reg%3B+Fixed+Blade+Knives+&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=5&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=21&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1) for $79.95 (on sale), and it came with a bonus folding knife free from Gerber good thru March.

So far, I'm impressed with this knife. Ask me again next fall after I field dress, skin and cut up my elk, moose, deer, antelope and black bear. :wavey:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/EDCS30V.jpg

Boots45acp
02-08-2010, 17:45
Zero Tolerance ZT350st
S30V Blade
Built like a tank.
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=494&brand=zt

BUT NOT THIS ONE:
http://www.spike.com/video/man-cuts-himself/2694453

Toml
02-08-2010, 17:47
That's a load of cash. Look at Emerson. You won't be disappointed.

I have been satisfied with the serrated Commander and SARK. http://www.emersonknives.com/ekTheKnives_Tact.php

Oops, sorry, the prices have gone up considerably since I bought mine. $ 200+ now.

Note: The OP stated he is looking for a knife for defensive purposes. A fighting knife is not a utility knife and should not be used for everyday tasks. That's what a 3-blade Stockman is for.

ctaggart
02-08-2010, 17:51
benchmade griptillian 551s.

+1000

montrose1911
02-08-2010, 17:54
I really like this one! I keep it on my pack and use it ALOT!

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/SOG-Knives-S37%252dK-Seal-Knife%252d2000-%252d-Kydex-Sheath.html

I love these in a folder!

http://www.knivesplus.com/CRKT-FOLDERS-M16-M16SF-M16T-M16Z.HTML

Montrose1911

LarryD1130
02-08-2010, 21:26
I just said $150 to keep opinions open. I don't really want to spend that much. I rather have a folding blade rather than a fixed blade.

daddysnapmuffins
02-08-2010, 23:36
Spyderco Military or Paramilitary

jacques
02-09-2010, 00:47
spydey endura or delica = nice choice.

nice and cheap!:)

cmontrose1
02-15-2010, 20:22
Spyderco Caly 3 in either carbon fiber/ZDP or g-10 /vg10.
I've got the carbon fiber, it cuts like a laser and looks good... Check it out on you tube, can be had for about 100 bucks on ebay....its by far my favorite!

wolf19r
02-15-2010, 20:28
Protech for autos Benchmade auto and standard.

Quack
02-16-2010, 09:15
I picked up a Spyderco Sage a few weeks back for <$100.

dontshakepandas
02-16-2010, 09:23
I'm going to second the Zero Tolerance 0350. That thing is sturdy and it holds an edge very well. With a little practice it can be deployed really fast too. I carry it every day.

I also carry a hideaway knife. Some people have posted bad experiences ordering from them, but I had no problems and got my knife quickly. I will say that I got an email from the owner that made him seem very arrogant, but that doesn't really change the quality of the product.
http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php
It is very easy to carry, and deploys almost as fast as a normal fixed blade (you have to get your fingers in the holes). However, I think its main advantage is that it makes it harder for you to be disarmed and have your own knife used against you, which is a real possibility in a knife fight.

I ordered the tiger claw version, and I wish I would have gone with the basic utility model because it is pretty difficult to sharpen.

BigJoe13
02-16-2010, 18:02
Larry,
I would reccomend just about any of the brand names for a folder. CRKT, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Kershaw, Spyderco, BlackHawk Blades etc. all make very good knives in your price range.

Just a disclaimer...
"The Best" tends to bring up personal feelings in reguards to a particular knife. I am not saying anyone who has responded to this question has done this, more just something to keep in mind.

I have carried Spydeco, Benchmade, CRKT, Cold Steel, Emmerson, Chris Reeves, Protech and several others that escape me at the moment. Of all these I have heard many detractors but, never seen the proof in usage of any of these being a "BAD KNIFE".

So you seem to be predisposed to getting a Spyderco if you get enough good feedback. As far as Spyderco's go just stay away from the all steel handles, as they are slick in sweaty hands. My personal pick of their knives is the "Wane Goddard" model folder, discontinued curently, I think. I also have a: Delica trainer, Endura and the 2 All steel handled Police models I carried for almost 10 years.

More importantly is to actually find the model you are looking for to handle it in person before finding the best price for your budget. This has saved me several dollars in the past finding out some thing did not fit my grip.

Is this primarily a utility knife or self-defense tool? Higher priorities are given to different specifics of the two categories. Specifics being handle geometry, blade steel, blade profile.

-Joe

Davegrave
02-16-2010, 18:06
I have a lot of knives by a lot of good makers. But if I could only own 1 knife it would be Benchmade and it would have the AXIS lock. Best folding knife inovation since...blades.

At that price look at some of the osborn designs or the Rift.
If you want cheaper the Griptilian full size just CAN'T be beat for price vs quality.

j-glock22
02-16-2010, 18:22
I know some of you will laugh at this, but I'm quite happy with the S&W SWAT knife. Various sizes can be had for under $60. I've owned and abused a few over 10 years, and they still hold up quite well today. The ones I have do have a partial sarated blade, which I prefer myself.

MTHall49
02-17-2010, 19:23
I agree with Joe's conclusions too.
Personal preference plays a big role in deciding what is best.
If you want a real heavy duty knife that would narrow it down a bit in my opinion. If that is the case maybe a Spyderco or a ZT. Not sure if ZT is in the price range.

minnshooter
02-19-2010, 17:56
Spyderco Caly III is what I carry everyday. My most favorite knife ever! I have the G10 version with VG10 steel. Awesome doesn't describe it!

FireForged
02-21-2010, 07:21
Fixed: RAT RC series
Fold: Benchmade axis lock or Applegate Covert

tc2129
02-22-2010, 21:23
I like Benchmade. And for $150, there are a lot of options.