CMMG .22lr conversion kit impressions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CMMG .22lr conversion kit impressions

JoshuaC
02-06-2010, 16:59
I wasn't going to get one of these, but I found the stainless variant online for $189 and jumped on it.

Other than it wedging itself into the receiver making it hard to remove, the kit looks really solid. The stainless has a smooth semi polish look, and feel to it, and the bolt glides very smoothly within it's rails. The supplied magazine looks really crappy looking visually, but is rock solid and held together with hex screws.

Feeding of rounds seemed positive, extraction and ejection was very positive just from using snap caps. Had the extractor slip over the rim of the round a few times when pulling back on the charging handle, but all my .22's do this to some extent so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm excited to get this thing to the range and test it out but it seems like a good investment so far.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/1481-2102.jpg
(Thanks to CMMG for the pic)

xlh883
02-06-2010, 17:14
Yep, a little hard inserting into receiver, but it is a smooth operation afterwards, just remember to shoot a few .223 rounds afterwards to "clean" the crud left by the .22 inside the barrel. I enjoy my little investment and so will you.

thisaway
02-06-2010, 21:08
I have a Spike's Tactical kit, which is very similar to your CMMG kit. I have been having a ball shooting mine, and I suspect you will enjoy yours too! :thumbsup:

huaco
02-07-2010, 14:45
I have the CMMG kit on order and expect to have UPS leave it on my patio on Monday. Mine won't be stainless but it will come with three mags and a loader. I've been thinking about one of these for some time and when I saw this package at Palmetto Armory for $169 I just had to dig out the credit card.

I will usually not be able to fire some .223 ammo through the rifle immediately after using the adapter. Our club has two ranges and the one very near me is leased from the Corps of Engineers. It is in a holding reservoir inside Houston city limits and the COE lease rules out any centerfire rifles. This does not make much sense but it is not going to change so I have been making the 45 minute drive to the other range to shoot my AR. We are allowed to shoot ARs with .22 LR adapters at the nearby range as long as we don't have any centerfire mags or ammo with us.

How would spraying lots of Gunscrubber down the gas tube be for making sure the tube doesn't get clogged? Would that be worse because it is trying to push the dirty stuff back through the most constricted part of the path? I will probably never run more than a maybe three hundred rounds of .22 LR through the rifle between trips to the other range so maybe I won't have a problem but I want to always have this rifle ready to fire the real stuff when I'm not plinking with rimfire ammo.

JoshuaC
02-13-2010, 16:10
Went out today and absolutely loved the conversion... Till I dropped it on the ground basically ruining the chamber adapter. I am absolutely distraught over dropping it. It ran perfectly, and didn't jam once.

Would anyone know if I could order a new chamber adapter and just replace it?

xlh883
02-13-2010, 16:45
Went out today and absolutely loved the conversion... Till I dropped it on the ground basically ruining the chamber adapter. I am absolutely distraught over dropping it. It ran perfectly, and didn't jam once.

Would anyone know if I could order a new chamber adapter and just replace it?

Glad you like the little gizmo. Sorry about the accident. Are you sure it's ruined or just it snapped off the tracks. Contact the folks you got it from or CMMG themselves.Explain the problem maybe you'll get it for free, you'll never know

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2205149&cat=81&keywords=&match_criteria=&rec=10&searchCat=&gonext=Next+Page

JoshuaC
02-13-2010, 18:24
Glad you like the little gizmo. Sorry about the accident. Are you sure it's ruined or just it snapped off the tracks. Contact the folks you got it from or CMMG themselves.Explain the problem maybe you'll get it for free, you'll never know

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2205149&cat=81&keywords=&match_criteria=&rec=10&searchCat=&gonext=Next+Page

The part of the adapter that looks like a round is bent on the case head. I went ahead and threw them an email.

Despite what happened, I had a great time and got some really awesome high speed video. I'll be sure to post it up when I'm done with editing.

huaco
02-13-2010, 21:41
Bummer, I can imagine how you feel because I shot mine for the first time a couple of days ago and I'm delighted with it. It was a chilly day so I installed it at home and loaded all three mags and only stayed at the range long enough to empty them. My hands get cold quickly so removing gloves to reload was not happening. No glitches of any kind and I was popping all the swingers on the pistol silhouette range regularly. Definitely more fun than I expected.

If I had dinged it up like you did I'm sure I would have another on order by now along with an inquiry about repairing my spare. New rule for me: Always replace the plastic protector on the business end immediately after removing the adapter from the rifle.