Training Class in Wake County... I'm so excited! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Training Class in Wake County... I'm so excited!

ncglock19
02-06-2010, 22:57
Well guys, I'm so excited about taking the Basic Pistol Class next Saturday at the Wake County Firearms Education & Training Center (http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/default.htm) that I'm about to bust.

I'm taking the Basic Pistol Shooting Class: an introduction to pistol safety, parts and operation; an introduction to ammunition and the fundamentals of pistol shooting; an introduction to shooting a pistol from the benchrest position; and an introduction to pistol cleaning. Also, it teaches shooting from the two-handed and one-handed standing positions.

I had a basic pistol orientation a year ago, but a lot was left out, including care/cleaning of the firearms.

I've been sitting on my G19 for almost a month, so today I went to the local range where I bought the 19. I explained I did everything per Glock's recommendations, and if they could look and make sure I reassembled correctly. They checked and said A-OK.

So I spent the rest of the afternoon at their range. I put 200 rounds through my G19 on it's maiden voyage. Not a problem in sight.

Thanks to all of you here on GlockTalk that have offered advice and comradery. I'm looking forward to that feeling that a firearm is just an extension of me.

Just wish you guys could see how big my smile is. And I don't usually smile that much. :embarassed:

joe

NC Bullseye
02-07-2010, 01:25
Enjoy it, the NRA basic handgun class is a good one. I wish I got a chance to teach it more often. There is a ton of good info in the class so don't be afraid to ask questions and take notes.

BigFelipe
02-07-2010, 01:36
I love the Wake Co Firearms Center there in Apex. Great range and a great bunch of folks. Enjoy the class. Let us know what you think about it after...

jdwatson
02-07-2010, 21:11
Can you put your gun in a range bag rather than a box ?

See the link:
http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/about.htm

ncglock19
02-07-2010, 22:00
Can you put your gun in a range bag rather than a box ?

See the link:
http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/about.htm

I just read that, and I still have my Glock case, so I'm lucky. I've seen some generic spare cases at gun shows and websites like cheaperthandirt.com for under 15 bucks.

I would think that if you locked your firearm and put it in a bag, that would suffice. You can send e-mail to them and ask to be sure.

The one thing I was told was that for the first part of class, to only bring in the pistol. NO AMMO!! I would go get it later for the last part of the class.

Good Luck. Hope to see you there.

joe

UPDATE: I asked the Wake County Range Supervisor about the "Case policy." He said that a case or bag was just fine. The reason for the note on the web site was because they had a few people that tried to walk in carrying their guns in their hand.

ncglock19
02-13-2010, 23:19
I had the class today. A lot of emphasis on safety and pistol (revolver and semi-auto) anatomy in the morning. A quick bag lunch and we are off to the range portion. Though I wasn't too happy with my shooting (anticipation), the instructor told me that I would have passed the CCW shooting portion of that class. Back to the classroom for a brief cleaning segment and then we took the NRA Class exam.

My only wish was that we would have shot North of 50 round rather than south. I'll have to go to the range tomorrow to finish the 3 boxes I budgeted for the class. :supergrin:

And just after lunch, the instructors passed out some SWAG from .... GLOCK!! I came away with a lanyard, stress ball, keychain and a Glock Annual. Kudos to Glock for providing some nice things for the class.

For those of you interested in Demographics, we had 19 students, 5 of which were ladies. Also, the instructors were surprised that 15 of us had our own pistols. They said that normally they supply most of the pistols for range time.

joe

PS. At lunch, I signed up for the CCW class one month from today. :embarassed:

Thx-1138
02-15-2010, 13:24
Man, a Glock stress ball?

I'm jealous.

Eagle22
02-15-2010, 14:50
Good deal.

ncglock19
02-15-2010, 21:27
Man, a Glock stress ball?