4" 1911 selection? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 4" 1911 selection?

a_tack
02-07-2010, 00:29
What all is out there in the way of a 4" 1911. I need something durable enough to carry daily, a finish that wont rub off in a year, and at or around $1200. I really would prefer to stay away from a high polish stainless as they seem to scuff easy although I may be in love with the dan wesson CBOB. I am not really asking opinions on what is the best (as the best is different for everyone and only I know what is best for me), I just want to know what good options are out there. thanks fellow 1911 guru's!

Substance-P
02-07-2010, 06:21
Are you interested only in the 4" or would you consider the traditional 4.25" sized commanders as well?

dono
02-07-2010, 07:19
He mentioned the DW CBOB and that is a 4.25 . I went with the CBOB in 10mm. Not really high on the polished flats either they will go away when $$$$ allows.

josp
02-07-2010, 07:24
S&W 1911pd?

ronin.45
02-07-2010, 08:07
I think the brushed stainless is probably the most durable finish available on a firearm. Every applied finish will wear much faster than bare stainless. Even the high tech stuff like NP3 and Black T will show significant wear over time with use.

In your price range the CBOB is a front runner.

Quack
02-07-2010, 08:24
Kimber Pro's
Springfield Champion's
Dan Wesson C-bob or CCO
Colt Commander
Sig Compact's
S&W Compact's
RIA Compact
STI Ranger II

awpk03s
02-07-2010, 08:33
Kimber Pro's
Springfield Champion's
Dan Wesson C-bob or CCO
Colt Commander
Sig Compact's
S&W Compact's
RIA Compact
STI Ranger II

+1 on DW CCO. Or get the CBOB and get it "Hard Hat" treatment from www.severnscustom.com

GVFlyer
02-07-2010, 08:40
I think the brushed stainless is probably the most durable finish available on a firearm. Every applied finish will wear much faster than bare stainless. Even the high tech stuff like NP3 and Black T will show significant wear over time with use.

I've talked to Wilson Combat and my next 1911 is going be bead-blasted stainless straight from Berryville. I'm skipping the step where I first get the polished stainless steel scratched up, then send the gun to the manufacturer for a bead blasted finish.

a_tack
02-07-2010, 08:52
yes, 4.25" would be fine too. I have owned a Springfield and currently own a Kimber. The Kimber Pro CDP II really seems to have all of the features I am looking for in my next 1911, I just like variety in my collection so I wanted to at least consider other brands. However, my Kimber is one of the best shooting guns I have.

I really want 4-4.25", durable slide finish (resist holster wear), lightweight preferably, carry beveled/melted, Night sights or laser grips desired but not necessary, must be .45acp, and then some basics like beveled mag well, lowered and flared ejection port, polished feed ramp, throated barrel, frontstrap checkering is preferred but not necessary. And im not particularly fond of ambi-safeties.

fredj338
02-07-2010, 11:23
S&W 1911pd?

Yep, my choice exactly, well almost. If & when the finish goes, I'll just get it plated or parkerized.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/DSC_0003_051.jpg

Eyescream
02-07-2010, 12:35
+1 on DW CCO. Or get the CBOB and get it "Hard Hat" treatment from www.severnscustom.com

I've never heard of that before, that's a pretty finish.

MacG22
02-07-2010, 12:47
Dan Wesson CCO. By far my favorite 1911 and just a truly special gun. Outstanding for carry. 4'', commander frame and the officer's grip (so it's really easy to conceal).

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/wneder/IMG_1571.jpg

MacG22
02-07-2010, 12:48
I've never heard of that before, that's a pretty finish.

I've seen a few with this... it's amazing stuff, scream. It's a treatment, not a coat, so it bonds with the metal and it's tough as hell.

mikegun
02-07-2010, 14:44
I've seen a few with this... it's amazing stuff, scream. It's a treatment, not a coat, so it bonds with the metal and it's tough as hell.

that really is a nice liiking finish, do u know the approximate charge

a_tack
02-07-2010, 15:32
I would even consider a 3" 1911 as well, I've just heard they have questionable reliability.

ParaBear
02-07-2010, 19:15
I would even consider a 3" 1911 as well, I've just heard they have questionable reliability.

In the sub-5" 1911 your magazines have to be in top shape to keep up with faster slide speed. 11lbs Wolff Springs replaced the factory ones in mine and fixed the occasional last round FTF problem.

fredj338
02-07-2010, 22:14
In the sub-5" 1911 your magazines have to be in top shape to keep up with faster slide speed. 11lbs Wolff Springs replaced the factory ones in mine and fixed the occasional last round FTF problem.
True, as well as changing the recoil spring more often. My 1911OM is pretty much stock & runs 100% w/ anything I feed it.

coal
02-07-2010, 23:35
True, as well as changing the recoil spring more often. My 1911OM is pretty much stock & runs 100% w/ anything I feed it.

Agreed. My 5" 1911s have run and run, pretty much anything with minimal care. My 4" Kimber Compact I does not favor short LSWC loads, does not like cheap "shooting star" style mags, prefers to stay well-lubed and the recoil spring wears quicker. With the added care, correct OAL LSWC reloads (or RN) and good mags it's always 100% perfect, and VERY accurate, too. I like it. :thumbsup:

HAIL CAESAR
02-08-2010, 01:51

What lenght slide and what recoil spring you running?

txgolfer45
02-08-2010, 19:41
Kimber Pro Raptor II blued or ss

HAIL CAESAR
02-08-2010, 21:42
Here is a CCO list that I wrote at one time. It is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt about my views on the quality. This is a list of CCO guns. They have 4 or 4.25 barrels but have Officer grip frames. Thought it might help if you start looking at Commander slide and Officer frames..

The size of 1911 you are describing is loosely called a CCO. It is a officer frame and a 4.25 commander slide. Some people people (including myself) make a distinction of a TRUE CCO and LIKE A CCO. A true CCO will have a 4.25 barrel and a barrel bushing. Most "Like" a CCO will have a 4ish inch barrel and the barrel will be bushingless. Colt is the company that owns the name "CCO", much like "Commander".

To answer your question of who makes a 1911 of similar size the list is as follows;

STI Guardian- Like a CCO- 4ish bull barrel- good quality gun- $950ish.
Steel frame.

Colt CCO and Colt Gunsite CCO- True CCO sized-4.25 barrel- good quality gun-Discontinued model- somewhat of a collectors item $950++++, if you can find one.

Colt has put out another CCO in 2010 called the Specail Combat Officer but it is a CCO like mentioned above. It has no front cocking serrations although.

Old Dan Wesson CCO- True CCO (Except external extractor)- Discontinued Model- good quality- good luck finding one.

New Dan Wesson CCO. Production starting 2009. True CCO with internal extractor. $1,250+, hard to get only 200 made this year. Alloy frame with 4.25 inch bushing barrel. Ceramic coated slide. I have it now. It is excellent quality!

Newer, newer DW CCO. Production starting 2010. Same as the one above but supposed to have upgraded all barstock internals and a super duper tough finish. ( No idea what it isas they are keeping it a secret, but it will come out what it is. Thinking it's like Ionbond or Melonite) Quality?? Based on last years 2009 run that was excellent and the 2010 models SUPPOSED to be better...I am guessing these will be very excellent guns although I have never one one ..YET.

Kimber- Like a CCO, OK quality gun, various models - $750 and up depending on model. Lots of reports of problems, but lots of reports of satisfaction. Be prepares to buy a new recoil spring even on a new gun. Kimber makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Sig 1911 Compact- True CCO (except external extractor) good quality gun- earlier guns have had problems, newer guns have seemed to have no problems- $850+-Sig makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW. Make sure you get ones that have no "manhole cover" on the slide.

Springfield Armory COMPACT- Older discontinued model, do not be confused with current Ultra or Micro size guns they are not the same- if you can find one they run $550+. good quality. Some were 4.25 with bushing and some were Bull 4 inchers. Steel frames and LW Alloy frames.

Smith & Wesson ES. Seems to be good quality (very new) True CCO expect the external extractor. 4.25 bushing barrel. Stainless slide and Scandium frame. $860.00ish, but people are trying to get rich selling them for more than that.

Fusion Arms True CCO. (Edited for now)

Les Baer Stinger- True CCO, excellent quality 1911- $1,500+ depending on options. Steel frame. 5 inch frame rails. May or may not slingshot. Older discontinued had alloy frame.

Wilson Combat Compact- Like a CCO, 4 inch bull barrel. Excellent quality 1911 alloy or steel frame.- $2200+ depending on model.

Nighthawk Custom_ True CCO- excellent quality 1911- $2500+ depending on options. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop -True CCO Excellent quality. Takes about 6 months to build. They will build it your way. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel. Alloy or steel frame. $1,600+++

There are full custom shops that will make you a CCO, be prepared to sell at least one of your children on the black market.

If they are more I've forgotten, please anyone help me out.

My opinion time; The CCO is the perfect CCW size 1911 ever made. Reliability of a Commander, frame size of a Officer for less printing. Even less printing if you have the frame MSH rounded.

Descendant
02-09-2010, 07:06
:goodpost:

HAIL CAESAR
02-09-2010, 17:39
:goodpost:

Thank you.:wavey:

Cobra64
02-10-2010, 01:40

In your price range the CBOB is a front runner.I totally agree, and that would be my choice too.