EOtech XPS2 Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EOtech XPS2 Question

Warhorse
02-07-2010, 08:58
I am considering purchasing this for my Bushmaster AR w/16" HB that has the detachable A3 carry handle.

Can this be mounted directly to the receiver and give a good sight picture, or will I need to add another mount, such as a Larue to raise the sight up higher to see over the front sight? If a riser mount is needed, what height would you recommend?

G32sapper
02-07-2010, 09:50
I have run my EoTechs right on the reciver so I can co witness it with the BUIS. The front sight does not bother me. I am sure someone will jump in that have used risers and tell you about them

Three-Five-Seven
02-07-2010, 11:46
It can mount directly to the receiver, no problems. Nice thing about the xps is that you have a lot of choices about how close, or far from your eye you wish to mount it. Eotech includes a screw for use with tools and a second screw that has a thumb boss on it.

You do not need any other mount to have a secure and successful installation.

GG&G and LaRue both make mounts for this sight. I would consider a mount if multiple rifles are in your collection.

duncan
02-07-2010, 14:21
mounts well direct to ft - best way and designed to co-witness from your FT. The XPS also comes in a 1 MOA dot too. Just don't like how how my Aimpoint clones are.

fivestar
02-07-2010, 14:31
My XPS 2-0 is mounted directly to the flat top on my Optics Ready Smith. A few years ago I had a flat top Bushy with the standard FSB. On that one I used the LaRue LT-110 to raise it up over the sight post.

Warhorse
02-07-2010, 14:59
A few years ago I had a flat top Bushy with the standard FSB. On that one I used the LaRue LT-110 to raise it up over the sight post.
Was that the only way to get the red dot on top of the front sight post?

fivestar
02-07-2010, 15:26
The dot will sit right on the post without the riser. I just didn't like looking thru the sight and seeing the post. With the riser, you see less of the post. That's why I went for the Optics Ready model back in December. I just hated looking at the post. I have a front BUIS and it works perfectly. With both the Eo and the front sight zeroed, the dot sits squarely on the post. Now though, I can flip the sight down and have a full field of view thru the holo sight.

It really makes no difference other than personal preference.

AggiePhil
02-07-2010, 21:08
It's all personal preference. After some experimentation, I found that I don't like mounting the optic on a riser (referred to as a lower 1/3 co-witness, since you wind up with your irons in the lower 1/3 portion of your red dot sight picture) because it causes you to raise your cheek up on your stock--I prefer a tighter cheek weld.

To further complicate matters, I found that I like the iron sights to be completely out of the way most of the time. So I wound up having my front sight tower shaved down into a low-profile front sight base, and I went with flip-up iron sights (both front and rear). Now the iron sights are completely out of the way unless I flip them up. Again, to each his own and it might take some experimentation on your part before you find the setup that works best for you.

http://www.phildorsett.com/images/myarfall092.jpg

SVTNate
02-08-2010, 14:20
Where are you guys buying the XPS 2-0? I'd like to order one but a lot of places seem to be out of stock.

fivestar
02-08-2010, 14:34
I bought mine from DSG. I highly recommend them, but they're out of stock right now.

Warhorse
02-08-2010, 16:02
Thanks for the input you guys.

I will get the XPS when I can, then if I do not like seeing the front sight I'll get the LaRue riser mount.

MARSH1
02-08-2010, 18:26
EOTech showed a new version with the riser built in, at SHOT two weeks ago. I don't have a ETA yet.

Marshall

SVTNate
02-08-2010, 18:53
I got one for $469 locally this afternoon, and it's already on my rifle.

madcitycop
02-11-2010, 21:33
Where are you guys buying the XPS 2-0? I'd like to order one but a lot of places seem to be out of stock.

****** and they have 10% off with the code stimulus.

MARSH1
02-12-2010, 09:29

We have them in stock.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=165&categoryId=5

mkmckinley
02-12-2010, 13:10
I bought one from primary arms and had a good experience. If you mount an XPS directly to the receiver you get a "dot on sight post" cowitness. With a riser (YHM make a cheap one that works fine) you can get a "lower 1/3 cowitness.

Daekwan
02-12-2010, 14:10
It's all personal preference. After some experimentation, I found that I don't like mounting the optic on a riser (referred to as a lower 1/3 co-witness, since you wind up with your irons in the lower 1/3 portion of your red dot sight picture) because it causes you to raise your cheek up on your stock--I prefer a tighter cheek weld.

To further complicate matters, I found that I like the iron sights to be completely out of the way most of the time. So I wound up having my front sight tower shaved down into a low-profile front sight base, and I went with flip-up iron sights (both front and rear). Now the iron sights are completely out of the way unless I flip them up. Again, to each his own and it might take some experimentation on your part before you find the setup that works best for you.

http://www.phildorsett.com/images/myarfall092.jpg

1) Exact same way I run my 6940.. both sights flipped down, XPS mounted directly (no riser).

2) Order from Primary Arms.. best price, quick shipping, excellent customer service.

MARSH1
02-12-2010, 14:26
I bought one from primary arms and had a good experience. If you mount an XPS directly to the receiver you get a "dot on sight post" cowitness. With a riser (YHM make a cheap one that works fine) you can get a "lower 1/3 cowitness.

Cowitness can be confusing. Here is the best way to uderstand it.

1: Zero your iron sights

2: Turn off your red dot. If the irons line up in the center of the sight window you have absolute cowitness. XPS2-0 is absolute. Remeber the red dot is off!!!! If the irons line up in the lower part of the sight window you have lower 1/3 cowitness.

When you turn the red dot on if it is zeroed at the same distance as the irons, the dot will sit on top of the front sight post with absolute or lower 1/3cowitness.