New changes in Pennsylvania Freemasonry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New changes in Pennsylvania Freemasonry

02-07-2010, 10:21
hey guys,
Check out the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania website and let me know what you think.

http://www.pagrandlodge.org/gmaster/renaissance.html

I think these changes are coming too fast.

There are a lot of old timers that are having a fit over some of the changes.

I think some of them are necessary with technology and the times are different than they were 50 years ago.

One of the biggest things that are changing is the "no tie required" and the ritual being written down.

I know that other states have ciphers and have been lenient with the dress code, but some of these guys are really upset.

Do any of your Grand Lodges have anything similar??
Thanks

Bilbo Baggins
02-09-2010, 11:09
I am so mad about the solicitation and 3 ball rule that I am seriously considering Demitting from Pa Masonry. I understand the spirit behind the changes, but the way things seem to be heading in Pa might as well join the Moose or Elks.
The ritual part doesn't make me happy but if it is controled the way I read, so be it. Maybe we can get more proficiant degrees out of it.
I can't complain about the dress code as I did not even own a suit and tie until I joined, and hated wearing them.(got to admit that I did enjoy the tux as I went through the chairs though it was kinda neet)

bassman-dan
02-09-2010, 12:39
We started issuing ritual books several years ago but they are written in a type of shorthand that will not be understood by anyone not already somewhat familiar with the ritual work. I think they are very helpful since I didn't have to wait for an appointment with a brother. I often studied at work or home when I could do so privately.
I'm not too sure that I would go for the 3 ball rule. That shouldn't be much of an issue nor should it have too much of an impact on our numbers.
As for the recruitment, I think that quality is much more important than quanity.
At any rate, we have an extremely conservative membership here that would be resistant to most of the Pa. changes.

deputy tom
02-10-2010, 18:55
I know the RWGM from when he was our DDGM.I am against the three black ball rule,actively recruiting members,and mainly the written words. I took an oath to never change certain things and believe this is contrary to what that oath spelled out in no uncertain terms.He should know this and abide by the rules.tom.P.M. :steamed:

grecco
02-12-2010, 08:47
I am split on the changes,
I believe RWGM has very good intentions,
But FM is not what it was, as for our Lodge its the same 20 Brothers at every meeting,
Things need to change to survive.

Bilbo Baggins
02-12-2010, 09:25
I have been saying for years it is time to start merging the lodges. I would rather drive an extra 10 or 15 miles and see 2 or 3 times the brothers than hold on to a name on a building.

grecco
02-12-2010, 09:38
I have been saying for years it is time to start merging the lodges. I would rather drive an extra 10 or 15 miles and see 2 or 3 times the brothers than hold on to a name on a building.

Its a touchy subject,
I strongly believe in tradition, but some things have to come up to speed.

deputy tom
02-12-2010, 20:22
We merged in December,both Lodges met in the same building anyhow.We now have 312 members and have 34 showing at every meeting since.YMMV.tom.

bassman-dan
02-15-2010, 09:14
But FM is not what it was, as for our Lodge its the same 20 Brothers at every meeting,
Things need to change to survive.

I would agree that we need some kind of change.
The question is: What change can we institute without wrecking a wonderful institution?

mesteve2
02-15-2010, 09:27
Just to many things for the young guys to do.

Gym, bars, girls, clubs, tv and low standards.

Girls today lay on the first date.

I demitted because my local brothers drank and didn't like other races of people.

grecco
02-15-2010, 09:27
I would agree that we need some kind of change.
The question is: What change can we institute without wrecking a wonderful institution?

Bassman, that is the $1,000,000 question!
I guess we have to wait and see how things pan out.
One of the changes I do not care for is, now a tie is optional.

I truely believe when crossing the Hall of The Grand Lodge, a suite jacket and tie is a must.

Hyksos
02-15-2010, 10:07
Just to many things for the young guys to do.

Gym, bars, girls, clubs, tv and low standards.

Girls today lay on the first date.

I demitted because my local brothers drank and didn't like other races of people.

The lodge I am petitioning to is in a college town, so I assume that has something to do with the membership. However, I have to say that since I have started attending the lodge in my town there have been numerous new petitioners, mostly young. At first it was only this guy Chris and I, we met there and seemed to be the only youth attending the dinners. Now, a few months later, I can say there are about 8 - 9 youthful petitioners and I see no end in sight, it seems every month that someone else has pursued the lodge seeking a petition. I actually discussed the changes in Pennsylvania's masonry during the home interview, I later sent him via email, the very link I saw in this thread ("him" being last year's WM)

His response, verbatim, was

"Hi Sean,
Thanks for the link. It's up to your generation of Masons to promote similar changes. Our inertia is beginning to show."

I am awaiting news on my vote but I found this pertinent because I am so young and I look forward to many years of masonry, it will be very interesting to see how FM's future unfolds.