Getting into IPSC, IDPA, USPSA...which glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting into IPSC, IDPA, USPSA...which glock

.45er
02-07-2010, 10:33
Hello. I am a long time custom 1911 shooter and recently have been bitten by the IPSC bug. I am running my bullseye guns but am looking for something to run in the production class. If I get a glock and keep it fairly stock except for maybe a FO front sight and extended mag release will I be able to shoot production class in IPSC, IPDA, and USPSA? What caliber and length would you recommend for an all around gun? I have been reading a lot and it seems in IPSC many run with the 34. Would I be less competitive with a 21, 22, or 17?? Thanks in advance.

Mark L Miller
02-07-2010, 12:36
Most "ipsc" matches in the U.S. are actually USPSA matches instead. Long story so I won't go into that right now. Anyway, uspsa matches in production, the 34 is questionably the most commonly used gun. It has a long sight radius, shoots the relatively soft 9mm while using extended controls from the factory, which is legal in production. That is what I shoot when I shoot production division. Fiber optic sights are nice, also. If you start adding any aftermarket parts to the outside of the gun other than sights & a LITTLE bit of grip tape, your gun will not be production legal. You can do some internal work but you can't change the weight of the gun by more than an ounce or two & again, no external mods. No extended barrells. No special aftermarket triggers.
You would not be "handicapped" exactly with the other guns you listed if you don't consider sight radius as a help like the 17 or the 21 or 22 added recoil. Of course, you can reload either of those calibers & reduce recoil where the ammo might actually shoot softer than 9mm but you still have the sight radius. Some folks don't even feel that the radius is an advantage. I know I'm probably as fast or faster with my 17 but for me, the sight radius at least makes me feel more secure shooting distance. YMMV.
I am unsure of the divisions & so forth in idpa. You can shoot this same gun there but I don't know which division.
IPSC, if you are out of the U.S. or in an odd or unusual place where they actually hold ipsc matches, the 34 is not legal in production.
The replies you got over on Brian Enos are pretty good.
MLM

MarkTX
02-07-2010, 14:39
...I am unsure of the divisions & so forth in idpa. You can shoot this same gun there but I don't know which division...

The G34 rules IDPA Stock Service Pistol with almost the same modification rules as USPSA. You can also shoot it in Enhanced Service Pistol where you are allowed a few more mods. Like any of these games it just a matter of reading up on the rules and picking a division. But for IDPA the Glock 34 is golden.

However, if I were gonna get into both sports with only 1 Glock -then the Glock 35 (40S&W) is the clear choice IMO. Load it down to minor and play IDPA, load it up to major and play USPSA.

Both of these Glocks come out of box with the extended mag release and extended slide release -and they both come with the Glock factory "3.5lb" connector (although I think Glock calls it a 4.5lb connector nowadays, note it doesn't actually give a 3.5lb trigger or even 4.5lb in my expierence).

jhayesvw
02-07-2010, 14:41
i chose a 17 to do exactly what you want to do.
i put dawson front FO sight and warren rear.
otherwise, mine is stock (3.5#) trigger bar.

it seems to work out very well. i like production because im not playing with the big boys (cant afford the trigger time to beat them).

go out there and have fun! i cant wait for my USPSA match each month.

Hoser
02-07-2010, 15:59
I am faster with a 17 than I am with a 34. Accuracy is the same.

dobegrant
02-07-2010, 20:41
I shoot a G17 in IDPA SSP and the G17 in USPSA, sometimes my G22 in USPSA and sometimes my G21, which is my most accurate Glock

Graves
02-07-2010, 20:44
Since you're a 1911 guy I'd suggest sticking with the .45 and going with the G21.

HK Dan
02-08-2010, 09:04
1) You can shoot Single Stack in USPSA with your bullseye guns...

2) No point in loading a .40 to Major if you're going to shoot Production; all Production ammo scores "minor". Now, if you were going to shoot Limited or L-10--different deal. Plan on another $600-$700 in gear on top of the gun to get competitive in those Divisions. (Holster, belt, mag pouches, basepads, magwell--the list goes on)

3) My advice would be to pick up a G17 or G34 and shoot USPSA Production and IDPA Stock Service (or Enhanced Service if you prefer). 9mm is cheap for practice and pleasant to shoot in matches; you'll be competitive with a Fobus holster and a stock gun.

One man's opinion,
Dan

.45er
02-08-2010, 09:08
Thanks for the replies. Now I have some deciding to do which seems to be the toughest part lol.

Jon_R
02-08-2010, 09:38
If you concealed carry doing IDPA at least some with what ever you carry how you carry it (if IDPA legal) has some value.

If you have enough to get started in either sport head out and shoot. Also take some time to talk with and check out what the other shooters are running for gear.

I have seen a lot of people never get beyond the research and gathering stage of action shooting. They always think they need one more or different thing then they will be ready.... Or they need more practice before they can shoot..... As long as you can shoot safely get in the game and see if you like it.

ronin.45
02-08-2010, 10:13
Either the 17 or the 34 will serve you well in both games.

sailor
02-08-2010, 11:54
Is a Vanek trigger legal for a 34 in USPSA production?

Jon_R
02-08-2010, 12:33
Is a Vanek trigger legal for a 34 in USPSA production?

Does it change anything externally? If the changes are just internal in regards to the trigger then it is legal.

MSgt Dotson
02-08-2010, 15:09
If a handloader, I'd opt for the Glock 35 over the GLock 34; the .40 loaded down to .40 'Lite' (for Production or SSP) recoils even a bit less than the 34/9x19, and, it can also be easily loaded to Major PF for Limited or L-10...

Duck of Death
02-09-2010, 14:56
*QUOTE*
Does it change anything externally? If the changes are just internal in regards to the trigger then it is legal.

Maybe, maybe not--look this over:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75404

coal
02-09-2010, 21:17
Gamer:
- G35 to make Major. Can "weaken" with reloads when Major is not needed.
- G34 if Major will never be needed. It's the ideal all-around (non-Major) gamer IHMO.

Otherwise:
Shoot what you carry. That's what I do. Me, Glock 19.

.45er
02-10-2010, 12:34
Well a friend is letting me use his 34 so I will see how I like the longer sight plane. Will be putting some rounds downrange with it this evening.

Colorado4Wheel
02-10-2010, 16:09
I have been reading a lot and it seems in IPSC many run with the 34. Would I be less competitive with a 21, 22, or 17?? Thanks in advance.

The short answer is NO. The long answer is also NO. Nothing wrong with a G34. I would look closely at the 17 and the M&P Pro/Longslide. That M&P shoots really nice IMHO.

Stuntman_Mike
02-11-2010, 05:55
I shoot a G34 for USPSA production.

Bought a NIB G35 last night from a retired LEO. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I couldn't pass it up for $450.

Maybe I could get some lazy friends to come out and shoot now that I have a gun they can borrow.

Desk_Jockey
02-14-2010, 08:22
Hello. I am a long time custom 1911 shooter and recently have been bitten by the IPSC bug. I am running my bullseye guns but am looking for something to run in the production class. If I get a glock and keep it fairly stock except for maybe a FO front sight and extended mag release will I be able to shoot production class in IPSC, IPDA, and USPSA? What caliber and length would you recommend for an all around gun? I have been reading a lot and it seems in IPSC many run with the 34. Would I be less competitive with a 21, 22, or 17?? Thanks in advance.

Just my $0.02 --- Buy a 17, 34, 22 and a 21.

You'll have less money in that one custom 45 and a hell of a good start to your glock collection. Just don't let your wife find out.

Welcome to the world of glocking...

DJ

voodoomanx
02-14-2010, 09:15
I run my G19 in Production with G17 mags (prevents palm bite on reloads) and I'm very competitive with it. I've polished a (-) connector and replace the serrated trigger with a smooth one from a G17.

I have a dawson FO front site and Heine metal rear. It's fast on target. The best part is after the competition is over it goes into my Comptac C-tac and it's my carry piece.

Vancek makes a production legal trigger. Not all his triggers are production legal.

MrVvrroomm
02-14-2010, 09:50
I've used both my 17 and my 34 in USPSA and always come back to the 17. They are both set up identically, trigger and sights, but I just shoot my 17 better.

MSgt Dotson
02-15-2010, 10:50
Good idea on the M&P9 Pro/5"....sweet pistol...

jhayesvw
02-15-2010, 18:57
and there is a $29 sear out now that drops in and dramatically lightens the trigger. still gritty, but very light. like sub 3lbs i think.
my buddy just put it in his MP9 spec ops and its LIGHT.
i may have bought it before he did if i knew how nice the trigger got with that sear.

but i have a few tricks up my sleeve in the trigger dept for my glock 17.

jdavionic
02-15-2010, 18:59
I shoot a G34 in USPSA production.

.45er
05-04-2010, 00:51
Well I ended up going with the G35. The gun shop had one that was on sale. I figure I can easily load this down to minor for shooting production. Have a list of some things I need to get ordered for the gun. I am pretty excited to get shooting it.

HK Dan
05-04-2010, 16:39
That sear does make theM&P trigger sweet.

Vanek makes a Production legal trigger. Don't sweat it right away, though. Shoot the gun stock and when you start waiting for it to cycle, then consider the mods...<g>

In all seriousness--shoot the gun for a minute. Once you're used to it, you can play all ya want and you'll know if the ensuing malfunctions are from you or from the gun (seriously).

You'll find that shooting bullseye and shooting USPSA require an enitely different skill set and the guns will behave differently "at speed". A guy who can run a 1911 all day in slow fire (and I'm talking .3-.4 second splits) starts getting malfs when he tries to run at .15 or .2 splits. Get righteous with your grip and time the gun well, ya know?