1911 noob - Kimber Pro Carry II or Springfield LW Champion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 noob - Kimber Pro Carry II or Springfield LW Champion

bluelineman
02-07-2010, 13:49
1911 Noob with a potential to get my first 1911 after my tax return. Here's what I want. Commander length, LW, 45 ACP, price limit $800. Actually that is probably pushing it.

I am looking at the Springfield Loaded Champion LW (PX9149LP) & the Kimber Pro Carry II.

What would be your recommendations & why? Thoughts about these two?

Thanks. Remember, I don't "speak" 1911 language, so dumb it down a little. :supergrin:

AZ Husker
02-07-2010, 15:30
Buy American, go Kimber.

CaptCave
02-07-2010, 16:01
if you can shoot both, do that then decide.

If you can't, buy the one that you like the most.

Officer's Match
02-07-2010, 16:58
Both are (or can be) nice, but I'd probably go for the Springer over a Series II Kimber.

bluelineman
02-07-2010, 17:11
Both are (or can be) nice, but I'd probably go for the Springer over a Series II Kimber.

Why? Please educate me. :wavey:

I do like the stock sights on the Springer better. Although I like the non-ambi safety on the Kimber better. Although that is not a deal breaker.

Brass Nazi
02-07-2010, 17:40
Buy American, go Kimber.
I thought Kimbers were made out of MIM overseas:rofl:

den888
02-07-2010, 17:45
Kimber for me...

GVFlyer
02-07-2010, 18:54
Kimbers, in some circles known as "Mimbers", lead the industry in Metal Injection Molding components. These components are otherwise known as "Pot Metal", "sintered" or "Powdered Metal" parts. Depending on the model you select, your Kimber will have either 19 or 21 powdered metal parts as opposed to zero or maybe one in a thumb safety in any gun I own.

The issue with MIM parts is that they fail suddenly, completely, with no warning and more frequently than forged parts. Forged parts, on the otherhand, "work" before they fail and give you adequate warning that you need to get involved.

After a less than enjoyable experience with Kimber Pro-Raptor II ownership, my gun safe inventory now shows zero balance for Kimber firearms.

nastytrigger
02-07-2010, 19:17
Springfield for me. I almost went for the Loaded Champion, but decided on the Loaded Government. Great product. Wonderful customer service. Awesome custom shop!

Road Dog
02-07-2010, 19:40
I'd go with the Springer to avoid the Kimber firing pin safety. As far as MIM goes both are loaded with it.

RD

bluelineman
02-07-2010, 20:20
I'd go with the Springer to avoid the Kimber firing pin safety. As far as MIM goes both are loaded with it.

RD

What the story with the Kimber firing pin safety? The Springer doesn't have that?

Officer's Match
02-07-2010, 20:25
Why? Please educate me. :wavey:

I do like the stock sights on the Springer better. Although I like the non-ambi safety on the Kimber better. Although that is not a deal breaker.

As a few other's have pointed out, Kimber has had some QC issues which I personally believe can be associated with their own success. They have pumped a large number of 1911's out, and lets face it, the 1911 ain't a Glock when it comes to cookie cutter mass production. Their use of MIM is also often criticized, although probably unduly so. But their version of a firing pin safety is for me an ill conceived approach. Springfield uses the equally effective and zero problem approach of a titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring. Simple and effective. Kimber's gizmo effects trigger pull (all other things equal) and is a potential problem waiting to happen, especially if not disassembled in the prescribed way.

Sorry for the essay, but that's my reasoning.

A nice pre-Series II Kimber, now that's a different story...

AZ Husker
02-07-2010, 20:46
I'll agree with the Pre-II Kimber love affair, but to be fair, the Series-II Swartz safety does not affect the trigger at all, it is activated by the grip safety. The Colt Series 80 DOES run off the trigger.

Officer's Match
02-07-2010, 20:50
I'll agree with the Pre-II Kimber love affair, but to be fair, the Series-II Swartz safety does not affect the trigger at all, it is activated by the grip safety. The Colt Series 80 DOES run off the trigger.

I stand corrected, but still dislike disrupting the firing pin as it is IMO unnecessary.

Substance-P
02-08-2010, 06:16
Between the two, I'd go with the Springer for the reasons Officer's Match brings up. No series II Kimbers for me (been there, done that, sold or traded what I had save one).

I've heard good things about the springer. There may also be a LW commander option from Colt in that neighborhood price wise (with its own list of pros and cons).

glock2740
02-08-2010, 10:30
Big Kimber fan here. But I love the TRP.

nastytrigger
02-08-2010, 16:13
What the story with the Kimber firing pin safety? The Springer doesn't have that?

Right, it's been mentioned above. Springer uses a titanium firing pin and heavy firing pin spring to aid in case the gun is dropped. No firing pin safety itself.

bluelineman
02-09-2010, 18:02
Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

Officer's Match
02-09-2010, 19:02
Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

Any time, that's why we're here. Well that, and not having a life. :supergrin:

Cochese
02-09-2010, 19:18
I bought an EMP 9mm a while back. My first 1911 style weapon. The fit/finish of the gun is remarkable. It is so tight, it feels and shoots like a custom shop unit. I bought my dad a Kimber Custom II for his birthday.

He refuses to shoot it and only cleans it and switches out the grips all the time so I can't comment on its accuracy or reliability. :rofl:

My buddy had an Ultra Carry CDP and it was a complete POS. It broke extractors and was a complete mess.

My EMP has hundreds of various 9mm loads, from WWB to strange handloads, to high dollar JHP... no malfs to speak of. I know it isn't a .45, but it's my only Springer I can comment on. My Pro should be here in a few years months, but that's even more of an apples/oranges comparison.

bluelineman
02-10-2010, 12:24
Any time, that's why we're here. Well that, and not having a life. :supergrin:

So I'm not alone. :rofl: BTW, love the GSD pics. Hopefully we will have another one one day.

I bought an EMP 9mm a while back. My first 1911 style weapon. The fit/finish of the gun is remarkable. It is so tight, it feels and shoots like a custom shop unit. I bought my dad a Kimber Custom II for his birthday.

He refuses to shoot it and only cleans it and switches out the grips all the time so I can't comment on its accuracy or reliability. :rofl:

My buddy had an Ultra Carry CDP and it was a complete POS. It broke extractors and was a complete mess.

My EMP has hundreds of various 9mm loads, from WWB to strange handloads, to high dollar JHP... no malfs to speak of. I know it isn't a .45, but it's my only Springer I can comment on. My Pro should be here in a few years months, but that's even more of an apples/oranges comparison.

I'm leaning towards the Springer now. It is basically what I want right out of the box.

Rodger
02-11-2010, 06:55
I have a Kimber Crimson Ultra II 3 inch added to my collection 3 months. Have put over 1000 rounds thru it with never a malfunction or problem. Laser is very accurate. Comfortable to shoot. First Kimber I have owned, but will get more. If you have the money, this gun is the one.

bluelineman
02-11-2010, 11:36
I have a Kimber Crimson Ultra II 3 inch added to my collection 3 months. Have put over 1000 rounds thru it with never a malfunction or problem. Laser is very accurate. Comfortable to shoot. First Kimber I have owned, but will get more. If you have the money, this gun is the one.

Definitely out of my price range. Thanks for the info though.

Ryobi
02-11-2010, 11:40
I chose a loaded and have been 100% pleased with it.