Survival Knife - serrated vs. plain edge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Survival Knife - serrated vs. plain edge

myesque
02-07-2010, 16:13
In a survival knife do you use a serrated or a plain edge?

:cool:

TheLastDaze
02-08-2010, 00:09
Personally I don't like serrated for anything period, survival or otherwise.. they take up and waste a perfectly good blade that I could otherwise use.

If you keep your knife sharp you'll never need the serrated part.

I'm sure there's an application for it, its just not for me. For survival I like a thick quality steel flat ground with a convex edge on it.

malleable
02-08-2010, 00:17
tagged

myesque
02-08-2010, 17:44
By chance do you know the difference between the RAT RC-5 and the ONTARIO KNIFE CO. RAT 5

Does the Ontario knife have a life time warranty like RAT knives?:dunno:

ScaryWoody
02-09-2010, 08:16
For survival knife I would go with a plain edge. A serrated edge requires a much more complicated sharpening than I am likely to have available in a survival situation.

Wizz
02-11-2010, 10:59
I understand why most people seem to prefer straight edge, esp hunters. I usually go for combo edges as I'm usually cutting rope/cardboard/rubber/nylon straps, etc and a serrated edge always cuts those easier compared to a straight edge no matter how sharp the straight edge is. The serrated edge holds its cutting ability much longer and many knife manufacturers offer resharpening services for just the cost of shipping if someone doesn't care to do it. If you're talking about fully serrated blades those are usually geared towards emergency respondents and the like, I'm not a fan of full serrated blades for general use.

tripton
02-11-2010, 14:58
By chance do you know the difference between the RAT RC-5 and the ONTARIO KNIFE CO. RAT 5

Does the Ontario knife have a life time warranty like RAT knives?:dunno:

Yes, I do.

They are 2 totally different knives, both in purpose and maker. The RAT-5 by Ontario is a thin bladed knife with an unsharpened "skull crusher" pommel. It was made in D2 or 1095, but I believe the D2 is discontinued. From what I hear there is a mix of people that are very happy with the Ontario products, but there is a chance of a spotty heat treat with a few of their "RAT" line. Comes with a cordura sheath.

The ESEE-5 (RAT Cutlery changed their name on Feb 1st) or what used to be the RC-5 is a survival tool partially designed by military SERE instructors. It is a 16 oz, 1/4inch thick beast of a knife with a sharpened glass breaker pommel and canvas micarta scales with a bow drill divot. They are all 1095 steel, with an excellent heat treat and better fit and finish than any of the Ontario products. It is not ideal for anything unless you are going to be cutting yourself out of downed aircraft, but it is a hell of a neat toy. The kydex sheath that comes with it is awesome and has adjustable tension.

Being that Ontario and ESEE (RAT Cutlery) are two different companies, the "No bull****" lifetime warranty ONLY applies to RAT Cutlery/ESEE products. I am unsure of what Ontarios warranty is.

Ontario is a fine company that makes good products. It is my belief that ESEE is better.

For your uses, you may be better served with an RC-6/ESEE-6.

Also, for my money, it is plain edge all the way. I have used ESEEs serrations though, and they are better than most, and a hell of a lot easier to sharpen. I have zero use for a combo edge blade, as a sharp plain edge will cut just fine...with less tearing.

myesque
02-12-2010, 23:08
Thank you all for your advice. I ended up going with a plain edge blade. I purchased a ScrapYard Scrapper 6. I should have it by early next week. They carry a life time warranty and they look to be built like a tank. :supergrin:

I was going to go with the RAT-RC6 but this knife fell out of the sky.

Otown407
02-12-2010, 23:11
I understand why most people seem to prefer straight edge, esp hunters. I usually go for combo edges as I'm usually cutting rope/cardboard/rubber/nylon straps, etc and a serrated edge always cuts those easier compared to a straight edge no matter how sharp the straight edge is. The serrated edge holds its cutting ability much longer and many knife manufacturers offer resharpening services for just the cost of shipping if someone doesn't care to do it. If you're talking about fully serrated blades those are usually geared towards emergency respondents and the like, I'm not a fan of full serrated blades for general use.

Perfectly said.

MarcoPolo
02-12-2010, 23:13
I typically carry combo edges for "work" knives (taking camping to cut rope, etc.) while I prefer straight edge for carry knives.

Just a personal preference.

tripton
02-13-2010, 00:59
Thank you all for your advice. I ended up going with a plain edge blade. I purchased a ScrapYard Scrapper 6. I should have it by early next week. They carry a life time warranty and they look to be built like a tank. :supergrin:

I was going to go with the RAT-RC6 but this knife fell out of the sky.

You have chosen wisely.

That is a tough knife, and actually closer to an RC5 than an RC6. They are thick.

Plenty tough, and indeed, Scrap Yard and ESEE are the best warranties out there.

syntaxerrorsix
02-13-2010, 16:50
Personally I don't like serrated for anything period, survival or otherwise.. they take up and waste a perfectly good blade that I could otherwise use.

If you keep your knife sharp you'll never need the serrated part.

I'm sure there's an application for it, its just not for me. For survival I like a thick quality steel flat ground with a convex edge on it.

While I tend to agree with your preference for plain edge. A serrated knife offers more cutting surface and more friction or "bite" making it more effective at cutting most materials albeit not as cleanly.

For a "survival" knife I think a plain edge will be easier to maintain.

Biggy1
02-15-2010, 12:51
I like the Bark River Bravo 1 . It has a plain edge and is made out of A2 tool steel.

Dennis in MA
02-15-2010, 18:10
I used to say combo, but I don't anymore.

They put all that serrated section right in the area you want the most control from your plain edge - near the choil. You lose a lot of ability to do fine work with a combo or total-serrated blade.

Full plain edge. Type of edge is your preference. 5-7" blade is probably best overall. BRKT Bravo 1 IS a great example of a good survival design.

syntaxerrorsix
02-15-2010, 18:12
I used to say combo, but I don't anymore.

They put all that serrated section right in the area you want the most control from your plain edge - near the choil. You lose a lot of ability to do fine work with a combo or total-serrated blade.

Full plain edge. Type of edge is your preference. 5-7" blade is probably best overall. BRKT Bravo 1 IS a great example of a good survival design.

Couldn't agree more.

I opt for either fully serrated or plain edge depending on intended use.

FireForged
02-21-2010, 08:12
I am old skool... I like a heavy 5-5.5" plain edge field knife. If it wont cut I will hack.

I like the combo blade only in a folder. :)

Current knife: RAT RC5 and a Applegate covert folder

BigJoe13
02-21-2010, 11:44
Personal prefrence is:
http://coldsteelforums.com/thumb.axd/800_543/F39E98DEB3AA4C07A565D2E21968E397.JPG

-Joe