Pm-9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pm-9

tager
02-07-2010, 18:05
First post here, Iím new to the Kahr PM-9 but have been shooting for many years (since 1953).

I bought this nice little new PM-9, little devil felt good in my hand, sat well in my pocket, & shoots w-a-y left.

I have had to move the rear sight all the way to right (almost to the far edge of the slide). It shoots somewhat decent there (about 4Ē-5Ē groups at 17 yards) with an occasional flyer that I can account for when fired.

This is a more asking for advice & what would you do sort of post.

The little devil gun has had about 700 rounds through it as of now, it hasnít missed a beat & not one Fail To Fire or Fail To Feed. Trigger pull is a little stiff & not real smooth but manageable, no signs of barrel peening, nice little carry gun. The slide is a little loose on the frame in both the front & rear (you can see it move a bit when pulling the trigger but it shoots fairly decent as is.

OK, to the question: if this were your gun would you send it back to Kahr (they will probably install a new barrel & possibly a new slide), or would you keep it as is with the sight way off center?

As of now it just doesnít misfire or jamb. I suppose there is always the chance that new parts will alter this & make it less reliable.

What would you do?

Tager

Burns
02-08-2010, 20:07
I think I'd check real carefully to make sure it isn't user error before sending it back. You mentioned that you found the trigger pull to be stiff; perhaps that is influencing your shooting? How about some dry fire practice to get used to the trigger? With a subcompact your hand could get hunched up around the gun and you need to make sure that trigger is coming STRAIGHT back. If you don't like dry firing your gun, buy some snap caps. Also, you can try "staging" the trigger and shooting from a rest. These are just ways to try to take the possibility of human error out of the equation. If you are more used to shorter trigger pulls, you may have to adjust to the Kahr trigger. Have someone else shoot your gun, see if it goes left for them too.

That's just an idea and I'm not sure if you've tried that yet. In the past when I've had problems like this, I've always ended up realizing that it had something to do my trigger pull or flinching. It could certainly be something else.

Also, you may want to try posting your question over at Kahr Talk as well, just to get some other minds on the problem.

JackBlundell
02-08-2010, 21:02
Have you tried shooting it with your supporting hand? Have you had other shooters fire it? If so, and if you get the same results, it's the gun.

When I bought my used PM9, it shot 3 inches low at 7 yards. I sent it back to Kahr, they replaced the barrel gratis, and it's been good for over 5000 rounds.

tager
02-09-2010, 11:40
Burns, I have been shooting for enough years to never rule anything out including shooter error.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I group the gun pretty decent but I had to move the sight a long ways to get it to do so,, it shoots the same L/R off a bench rest only a little higher.. My LEO friend shoots it to pretty close to POA with the now offset sights (better groups than me though)..
<o:p></o:p>
I shoot & carry a J-Frame so am VERY familiar with double action trigger-pull gun movement. I canít say I never do it but have enough experience to be able to call my hits before even looking at the target. BTW I shoot the J-Frame to POA at the same target & same distance..
I canít say for certain that it isnít me but so far nothing points to operator error.
If I place a spent brass in the chamber then sight down from the front in through the barrel & center the brass in the barrel my (now offset) sights line up with the bore (best I can tell),, vertical is off of course but lateral looks close so Iím somewhat confident the sight offset follows the barrel centerline.
I guess I should; send it back to Kahr but the little devil never misses a beat now so it is very reliable. I just hate a gun that isnít built right.
Tager

packinaglock
02-09-2010, 18:03
Have you tried shooting it with your supporting hand? Have you had other shooters fire it? If so, and if you get the same results, it's the gun.

When I bought my used PM9, it shot 3 inches low at 7 yards. I sent it back to Kahr, they replaced the barrel gratis, and it's been good for over 5000 rounds.

Yes have others try the gun, My PM9 shoot dead center until I installed the Big Dot night sights. after i was about 6" low and It was just the way I was looking at the new sights. If others shoot like you yes I would send it back. But in my case it was just the way I looked through the new sights.

cziv
02-12-2010, 15:31
My PM-9 will drive nails it's so accurate - right out of the box. I'd definitely let someone try it out with you.

Maybe start off at a more reasonable range like 10 yards, before sending it back.

With all due respect, it's different from what you've been shooting and "may be" that you'll find it takes a different touch than your S&W's.

I've been an S&W wheel-gun guy, for 40 years and mine shot low left for awhile until I learned to fire it differently. :wavey:

http://ronin.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Product-Pics/righthandedtriggerpullmtw9/575325284_B6V9G-L.jpg

tager
02-12-2010, 16:08
Cziv, I thought I covered that above? I DID have someone else shoot it. He shoots lots of competition & is also a LEO & firearms instructor. He shot it to real close to the same POI I did using the offset sight. Maybe nether of us should hold a gun as we BOTH hit to POA with the sights offset to the right.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I also don’t understand what 10 yards will show me that 17 yards won’t. Obviously it won’t be off as far but it will still be off. Heck at 10 yards I don’t even need a sight to hit center mass. <o:p></o:p>
I threw a borrowed laser in the barrel yesterday & it points to about the same place as my offset sight shows in the lateral direction (obviously off in the vertical).<o:p></o:p>
Still not sure I am going to send it back or not as it shoots good & doesn’t jamb but that way offset sight bothers me every time I look at it. <o:p></o:p>
Makes a good conversation piece though as everybody that looks at it says that is one crooked built gun. <o:p></o:p>
Tager

cziv
02-12-2010, 18:28
tager,

I skim these threads so I missed that.

I threw a borrowed laser in the barrel yesterday & it points to about the same place as my offset sight shows in the lateral direction (obviously off in the vertical).

Having confirmed it with a tool like that, I would certainly send it back, but that's just me. :wavey:

Caver 60
02-12-2010, 21:04
I'd also be somewhat concerned that if it is built crooked and is shooting so far left (as it seems to be), it might affect 'pointshooting.' Probably not that much, since pointshooting is pretty well a close range affair that doesn't use sights very much if at all, but still I'd be concerned.

I know my Kahrs 'point shoot' very well, and the centered sights shoot to point of aim also.

I'd think if it is shooting that far left, a visual inspection would show some sort of barrel slide misalignment, which it apparently does, according to your 'empty brass' observation.

I'd want it fixed.

Super Trucker
02-12-2010, 22:18
I would send it in to have the factory check it out.

Burns
02-13-2010, 10:12
Given your comments, I'd send it in...with a copy of this thread! JK.

cziv
03-06-2010, 21:12
So what ever happened Tager? Have you resolved this issue?

tager
03-07-2010, 17:45
Cziv, I haven’t sent it back “yet”.. I’m still debating on that issue.. I am approaching 2000 rounds though it now & not a single misfire,, FTF,,FTE or other feeding issue.. It actually shoots a great little group at 18 yards..<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The off center sight looks kind of odd but it shoots good.. <o:p></o:p>
I keep thinking that if I send it back they (Kahr) will replace the barrel or slide & I might end up with a centered sight but a gun that won’t feed or work correctly..<o:p></o:p>
I will post a follow up here if/when I ever send it back..<o:p></o:p>
Tager

Cowart
03-08-2010, 01:58
You could also move the front sight to the left, which has the same effect as moving the rear sight to the right. Is the front sight currently well centered?

trex021
03-13-2010, 12:22
I had the same problem. A new barrel fixed it for me. Here's the thread: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968465