Opinions on .308 AR Platform? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on .308 AR Platform?

djegators
02-08-2010, 12:08
I have heard about there being problems, especially with mags and feeding, in a lot of different .308 AR rifles. Is this true, or internet myth? Outside of the costly rifles like Knights, are there quality, reliable, AR .308s for reasonable prices?

Mayhem like Me
02-08-2010, 13:40
I have heard about there being problems, especially with mags and feeding, in a lot of different .308 AR rifles. Is this true, or internet myth? Outside of the costly rifles like Knights, are there quality, reliable, AR .308s for reasonable prices?

If you get one think of it as a hobby..

I would look at the Larue OBR I like it so much I have one on order ... a 18 inch version.

Stay away from DPMS they just don't hold a candle to the Armalites in Quality of materials...

I would go Armalite or Larue..

Knights are pie in the sky expensive.

faawrenchbndr
02-08-2010, 13:50
What HE said,.....Armalite, Fulton, Knights.

FullClip
02-08-2010, 14:12
I'll add another recomendation for the Armalite AR-10. I've had an AR-10T for several years, and it's never skipped a beat. I'm thinking about getting the carbine version of the same in the near future as the target version is pretty heavy, but will keep up with a lot of bolt action "sniper" rifles.

No experiance with the DPMS units, but have checked them out at the local gun shop, and I just don't like them...

My only gripe is that the AR-10 won't take regular M1A mags, so I had to buy extras, and they aren't cheap, but are (or at least were) readily availble.

Not a cheap unit to feed, so take that into consideration when purchasing any semi-auto .308.

Mwinter
02-08-2010, 14:46
My personal opinion is that for a semi-.308 you'd be better off going with a different (dedicated .308) platform like the M14 or HK91.

I've heard and seen plenty of issues with .308 AR-pattern weapons....DPMS mags, Bushmaster bolts, and a co-worker even had feed and mag probs with his AR10T.

I've wanted a semi-.308 for a long time, but have never had the $$ for the HK, PTR, M14 variants I'd want....I'm more interested in the cartridge as a precision/distance weapon than an MBR.

The 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .458 SOCOM....3 different cartridges, each with more oomph than the 5.56, with 3 different strengths (antipersonnel, long range accuracy, anti-dinosaur)....each in my experience run better in the AR platform than the .308.

Lastly, it's not an especially accurate weapon, but 2 friends bought the Saiga .308 and love it.

Jer
02-09-2010, 02:13
The problem with the DPMS is the mags. Get Pmags in .308 flavor though and it works just fine.

TrooperBrian
02-09-2010, 02:31
My personal opinion is that for a semi-.308 you'd be better off going with a different (dedicated .308) platform like the M14 or HK91.

I've heard and seen plenty of issues with .308 AR-pattern weapons....DPMS mags, Bushmaster bolts, and a co-worker even had feed and mag probs with his AR10T.

I've wanted a semi-.308 for a long time, but have never had the $$ for the HK, PTR, M14 variants I'd want....I'm more interested in the cartridge as a precision/distance weapon than an MBR.

The 6.8SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .458 SOCOM....3 different cartridges, each with more oomph than the 5.56, with 3 different strengths (antipersonnel, long range accuracy, anti-dinosaur)....each in my experience run better in the AR platform than the .308.

Lastly, it's not an especially accurate weapon, but 2 friends bought the Saiga .308 and love it.
Agreed. The design of the AR-10 platform simply does not allow it to keep up with highend semi-autos and bolt rifles. This was true a few years ago and probably still is...when was the last time a competition was won with a semi-auto? Never.

I say this lightly, because I'm sure lots of people would disagree. But that is simply the nature of a semi-auto, the tolerances must be looser in order to accommodate cycling.

txpitdog
02-09-2010, 07:35
My particular DPMS AP4 cycles just fine and shoots sub 1.5MOA groups with the iron sights. That doesn't mean that its better than the Armalite, LaRue, etc., but if you simply want one for a range toy, zombie blaster, or occassional hog slammer, in my experience the DPMS works just fine.

sgtlmj
02-09-2010, 09:20
The problem with the DPMS is the mags. Get Pmags in .308 flavor though and it works just fine.

There's a lot more problems with the DPMS LR's than just the mags. We tried running them on our team and they made so many trips back to the factory that we should've gotten frequent flier miles. One went back 5x for extraction problems, one was back 2x. They finally just replaced both uppers.

Mine ran okay, but I had a lot of upgrades done to it by Noveske. After he was done screwing with it he said he would never work on a LR308 again.

The accuracy can be good, but it isn't very consistent. CBS were always wandering and I could tell which side of the mag the round fed out of by examining the target.

We dumped them and went back to bolt guns. I would get a LaRue OBR if I had the funds.

GIockGuy24
02-09-2010, 09:35
I bought two Knight's when they were available. One heavy rifle and one carbine. The carbine has a lot of recoil. Knight's claims that private sales were just to work out the bugs and concentrates on military sales now. I'm not sure a "new" Knight's is even available but they might be. I have one AR10 which is the AR10b model with the cocking handle on the top. It has been 100% but Armalite has since discontinued this model. I bought a DPMS only because it was so cheap. It came really bad plastic magazines. They now offer better steel magazines but they won't take military ammunition because it's loaded to long. The Knight's magazines work in it, but like the rifles, I don't know if Knight's magazine are available any longer. The Fulton Armory rifles are exactly the same as DPMS rifles.

TimP
02-09-2010, 09:43
maybe I am a snob, so take this with a grain or ten of salt.

if I am buying an Ar-based weapon in 308, it will not be for "plinking" or kicks and giggles. It will be for accuracy, and competition.

If it will not shoot sub-moa, I dont want it. That pretty much leaves me with the armalite AR-10T, larue, or try to find a Knights that works. LMT is bringing a 308 to market, and so is LWRC, and hopefully those will be accurate guns.

From everything I have seen, the Armalite is the top dog right now in terms of reliability and accuracy.

GIockGuy24
02-09-2010, 10:09
When I bought my first Knight's I wanted to buy another upper for it. At the time Knight's told me that I would have to send the rifle and the extra upper would have to fitted to the lower. Okay I understand tight fits and everything. Well I put it off for a couple of years. Knight's then tells me they no longer offer additional uppers. I did find a solution though. Armalite started making drop in uppers for the Knight's rifles, not just their own rifles which are different. I bought a Knight's type upper from Armalite. That was great. I'm not sure Armalite still offers Knight's type uppers anymore though. Knight's is terrible to try to buy parts from.

DarkBlade1000RR
02-09-2010, 12:55
I just received my DPMS SASS .308 tact rifle last week....all I can say is wow..:wow: was very impressed w/ the build/quality of this thing. Was initially told that there would be a 12-14 month waiting if I placed my order through my FFL....and after a search on www.gunsamerica.com....bam...found it! (along w/ my Ruger SuperRedhawk Alaskan .454 Casull :whistling:)

It's been a snow-pocalypse currently so having to just admire it for now....cmon spring!!!

MrMurphy
02-09-2010, 15:47
I've seen thousands of rounds run reliably through the OBR.

And they shoot sub-minute if the shooter has a clue.

KAC finally got the SR-25 working right, but it took years (and many of them at war) to get it right.

sgtlmj
02-09-2010, 16:05
OBR is on my RADAR. :wavey:

Price
02-09-2010, 16:07
I have been pretty set on wanting a .308 ar platfrom but I was looking mostly at the Rock River Lar-8. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about them, I have only heard great things about Rock River in general but havent heard anything about the LAr-8 specifically.

jrs93accord
02-09-2010, 16:08
I was very fortunate to pickup this older KAC SR-25 Mk11 Mod 0 (24" bbl) a couple years ago. It is sinfully accurate.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/DSC00608.jpg

Deployment Solu
02-09-2010, 16:29
Keep an eye on the SI Defense. i got to see their AR10 lowers & matching uppers made from one piece billet aluminum at the SAR & SHOT Shows!! Looked great!!

I will likely have one for T&E in the next few weeks. Unlike CMMG, they are going info production with this model that takes HK91/G3 mags and DPMS lower parts kits!!!!!!! :wavey:

Did I mention I have a few of those 20rd aluminum HK91/G3mags????:whistling:

djegators
02-09-2010, 20:15
I see that LMT is now offering .308...

Jumper
02-09-2010, 21:33
I like my Armalite AR10-T but the LMT looks real nice too! Heres a link to Iron Ridge Arms company http://www.ironridgeguns.com/ira-10-complete-rifles/
They're making a real nice rifle.

Lowrangerider
02-09-2010, 22:23
My DPMS SASS worked perfectly. But I did recently sell it for a JP LRP-07 because they are just that much nicer.

Wyoming
02-10-2010, 20:24
I have been pretty set on wanting a .308 ar platfrom but I was looking mostly at the Rock River Lar-8. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about them, I have only heard great things about Rock River in general but havent heard anything about the LAr-8 specifically.

FTW, I have three FAL's, three M1A's, three Mini 14's, three M1 carbines, several AR 15's and three AR 10's style rifles plus a M1 Garand for good measure.

My Remington R25 needed a break in and now works fine. If the SHTF I would pick my Rock River LAR 8. I am left handed so have ambi safety and mag release to go with match trigger. I have a Burris XTR 7.62 reticle balistic dot. It shoots just over MOA with M118 or Federal Match 168 gr. Almost what my Heavy Barrel Remington 700 does but in a lighter semi auto 20 round package. The LAR-8 also uses easy to find FAL mags. (One Glock poster said that is a problem because the FAL mag are not reliable!)

I'm not sure what all the above posters based their opions on but I base my on the fact that our rifle range goes to 643 yards. ( I found a dry lake bed where I can set up to shoot farther) I might not judge the Wyoming wind the first shot but I will be close and lets say the target is about the size of a person it will soon be toast. My R25 Remington shoots just a good but is bigger and heavier and uses DPMS magazines (cost more). I have a DPMS Heavy Stainless Steel Barrel that I have not had the time to try in my safe. Maybe that the POS there are talking about. I bet not.

If you want a Rock River LAR 8 but are afraid to base on internet expert then don't. Get one because it is a real rifle that shoots based on what I know. If you are ever in the Southwest area of Wyoming than stop by. I will let you shoot mine.

boozer
02-10-2010, 20:34
I heard all the net gripes about the DPMS LR rifle, but bought a LR 308B anyway. Got a good deal on it, though.

When this crappy weather breaks I'll do a range report.

furioso2112
02-10-2010, 21:09
I have a DPMS AP4 - b/t 100-200 rounds through it, so far so good. The .308 PMags work well in it. IIRC, they indicate a billet lower, and it came with a stainless bolt. Terrible trigger - need to try a Geissele in it. I can't recommend it as the be-all end-all of .308 ARs with so few rounds through it, but I am surprised at all the negative posts here. Not that I don't believe it, just hasn't been the case with me yet. So far, I'm pretty happy with it for a $1k rifle. Heck, I put more dough than that into one of my Glocks. I use the same glass on a LaRue QD mount with this as I do on the AR's, slings interchange, grips, etc. - it was a good way for me to get into shooting .308.

M1A Shooter
02-10-2010, 22:34
im tagging this for future info. im in the process of downgrading my M1A to an AR so i can free up some cash as well. may go with an AR in .308 next time around just because of my familiarity with the platform. i do love my M14 style rifle though.

Frog1
02-11-2010, 05:18
I have one of the LR308 24" inch heavy. Has a tight chamber since they use a .308 chamber. Has a decent factory trigger.

The trick is to break in the gun with Port surplus. That gives the locking surfaces a chance to wear in. Once that is done, it will function fine with SAAMi 7.62. It likes the heavier bullets. It works well with Magpul or C products mags. The factory mags gave the gun a bad rap.

I used to shoot matches with M1A's and M1 Garands. They are my favorite. But on a bipod with a scope, this LR sings.

GIockGuy24
02-11-2010, 09:36
Sig is suppose to be coming out with the Sig 716 this year. It's a piston operated rifle based on the Armalite AR10. I'm going to be taking a good look at this one.

humanguerrilla
02-11-2010, 18:14
KAC, Armalite,and Fulton all make .308 Ars now to qualify for service rifle.
I look for other manufacturers to follow suit.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4BNMF&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776
http://www.fulton-armory.com/TitanM110.htm#TitanM110Rifles

[The KAC rifles now seem hard to get unless you closely follow their production and limited releases and have a fortune to spend]

Love the .308 ars and hope to buy/build a few more while we can . I'd like to shoot .308 in service rifle.

shakazulu12
02-17-2010, 01:07
Seems like the .308 market is exploding and they are significantly improved over what they were even a few years ago. There is video of someone making 1100 yard shots with the 16'' OSR, as well as a reported 1 mile hits that were made over the weekend by (I think) the same guy. Granted the operator has a lot to do with it, but that kind of performance would not have happened even a few years ago.

Personally I just ordered an Iron Ridge lower and have a few months to decide if I'm going to go with a Noveske upper or an Iron Ridge upper reciever and sending it off to GAP to finish the rest.

hardeyes
02-17-2010, 01:55
Hello;

I would like to know how the LaRue OBR compares to the Noveske N6.

Reliable, & Accuracy wise.

Noveske is over $3,000, does anyone know the price of the LaRue?

Would like to know some info on these two. I'm always on the look out for a SD 308 rifle.

hardeyes

blhar15
02-17-2010, 05:32
I have never owned an .308 AR, always thought if you want a .308 stick with a M14 or a FAL. All though with the new rifles coming out like the SCAR 17S and others, it could be interesting.

desertfox
02-17-2010, 07:48
the new magpul 308 mags seem to be the best thing to hit the 308 AR market. people that have been having problem rifles are now finding there rifles are running great with these 308 Pmags.

I have always said the problem with the DPMS style platform has been the mags. that now seems to be solved.......WOOOOO HOOOOOO.

I have also been at the McMillan Sniper range and seen an instructor there making 900 yard shots with a 12" 308 AR. and yes, formerly he had been there and done that you might say.........

MARSH1
02-17-2010, 10:12
Hello;

I would like to know how the LaRue OBR compares to the Noveske N6.

Reliable, & Accuracy wise.

Noveske is over $3,000, does anyone know the price of the LaRue?

Would like to know some info on these two. I'm always on the look out for a SD 308 rifle.

hardeyes

The LaRue starts at $3K as well.

MARSH1
02-17-2010, 14:00
Feedback based on the AR style .308 test weapons we have and are going to have.

DPMS SASS has been flawless with the exception of one mag with a bent feed lip. This is their top of line so they do a pretty good job with it. Around $2K

Rock River 20". Newer with much lower round count but also functions as it should. Sub MOA. Uses FAL mags. In todays world with the .308 Pmags and plenty of DPMS, and C-products that fit the DPMS I don't consider this a plus, unless you want to share mags with your FAL. Mags aside overall not a bad value $1400 with the DD rail.

We ordered a LaRure OBR as soon as they were released. I am waiting for the 18" barrel to go into production, so we don’t have it yet. They are in the in the custom gun price range so I have high hopes and confidence in LaRue products. Early reports are very encouraging. It will be outfitted with a can, Nightforce F1 scope and used for employee training at Rifles Only.

Being a dealer is fun. :supergrin:

shakazulu12
02-17-2010, 19:34
If anyone on here gets a Larue OSR, please comment on the cheek weld, the only thing I notice about it is the rail seems really high.

MrMurphy
02-17-2010, 23:33
I have over 500 rounds through an OBR. Cheekweld with an A2 is fine. A CTR needs the (supplied) riser. LMT SOPMOD is "Ok" depending on the size of your head.

The 20 MOA rail is there for the long range stuff.

phxfa
02-18-2010, 07:20
I ordered the 18' LMT at SHOT. DI gun, SOPMOD stock, 2 stage trigger and takes the DPMS style mags, if its anything like my other LMT's it'll be a winner, $1800.00 dealer cost :cool:

dosei
02-18-2010, 07:51
I've been hearing that ASA has really turned themselves around under the new owner. I've got my eye on this rifle from them:

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_24_Inch_308_Side_Charger_AR_15_Rifle-14-1.html

I've come across a few people at the sniper's hide forums who own ASA 308's produced since the company change owners, they say the 1/2 MOA guarantee is no marketing gimmick...but that the rifles are really that accurate.

phxfa
02-18-2010, 10:00
I've been hearing that ASA has really turned themselves around under the new owner. I've got my eye on this rifle from them:

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_24_Inch_308_Side_Charger_AR_15_Rifle-14-1.html

I've come across a few people at the sniper's hide forums who own ASA 308's produced since the company change owners, they say the 1/2 MOA guarantee is no marketing gimmick...but that the rifles are really that accurate.
I had an early build ASA .308 24 incher, they replaced the rifle twice,,looks promising though on the new ownership

dosei
02-18-2010, 11:23
Under the former ownership, ASA produced bad rifles...their QC was non-existent.