Looking to buy 1st and probably only AR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy 1st and probably only AR

Daps
02-08-2010, 14:04
Hi guys wanted to get a few opinions.

After 2.5 years off and on I think I'm going to buy my first and probably only AR with in the next 2months.

It will be a glorified paper puncher and because I want one thing. As time and money allow I think taking a class would be fun and would eventually be something I'd like to try but being a single dad it'll be a while to find time and money(I'm paying cash for the AR, worked two jobs to get debt free, no child support coming from mom either) It would probably also see duty as HD and SHTF. I figure if I only plan to buy one I may as well get a good one, regardless of how much I use it, heck it can be a pass me down.

With that being said my choices so far are:
BCM, Colt & S&W

BCM:
With the BCM it looks like I can order the complete lower right now($350). The M4 Carbine barrels are out of stock($425). I know I'll have to have add the BCG, Charging handle($145), (M4 handguards 22.95),BCM/Troy(out of stock) BUIS($140) total $1060 not counting a magazine,s/h and transfer.

The pros for me with this is I can buy the lower now and hang on to the cash a little longer. I know it sounds weird but after getting debt free I've became a tight wad:supergrin: Great gun from everything I read

Cons for me I don't know when Bravo will have the uppers back in stock thus sitting on a lower and getting buyers remorse. Wishing I had just bought something else and been done with it or i talk myself out of it like I've done in the past, although divorce fees helped put a stop on purchasing.

Colt:
Can order and have shipped to my FFL(they're on file with Buds) $1249. I haven't priced locally even if they're the same price as Buds with TN tax I'm adding in another $120. I'll wait the few days
Pros no wait time other than shipping, Colt name. Resale value if the need ever came up but I have other stuff I can sale before my guns. If a ban was to happen I think any AR no matter the brand is going to be worth more than you paid eventually.

Cons almost a $200 difference from BCM. I'll be a Colt Kool aide fan :tongueout:

S&W (Flat top with BUIS) $850
Pros From reading good gun, goes bang, warranty, price will allow to add more options like Optics and rail plus a heap of ammo right out of the gate

Cons: 1/9 although not really a con I think I want 1/7 just so if I wanted to go heavier with a bullet I can. The FFL I want to use sells S&W but they have the carry handle and go for $999, feel kind of guilty ordering a gun similar to what they have in stock but not guilty enough to spend $1k for S&W when I can spend $70 more and get a BCM with heavier specs.

So let's here your thoughts. I'm leaning towards ordering the lower BCM from G&R and waiting
Thanks

K. Foster
02-08-2010, 15:21
Seems like you’ve done your research and have your duck in a row! From your choices, I would probably go with BCM. One other company you should look at is LMT http://www.lewismachine.net/media.php In my humble opinion, they are as good as Colt but a little cheaper. The down side is I’m not sure where to direct you to find an upper in stock at the moment. Typical prices are:
Upper- $485
BCG - $130
Charging handle - $20
Lower - $330
Hope this helps.

Goldendog Redux
02-08-2010, 15:32
Colt. Because no matter what you end up with you will always want a Colt. Also if you must sell it no one will give you squat for most ARs except for Colt and a couple others.

MF

Daps
02-08-2010, 16:27
I'll give the LMT a look

As far as the Colt. It really doesn't matter to me. I know they're what all are judged by but BCM seems to be just as good from all my reading plus I'll be helping a smaller company. Like I said I got plenty of other stuff I can sale before I sale my rifle or handguns

I really leaning on buying the lower and just waiting it out for the upper although I could pick up the BCM upper with DD rail today if I decide to

nastytrigger
02-08-2010, 16:49
Do whichever you like best. I went with Bushmaster and I'm 100% happy with my purchase. I may buy a lower and build a 9mm in the future. I'm not too big of a Colt person myself. Of what you have decided on, I'd go with BCM. BCM has a variety of parts and accessories. I've bought from them in the past and have a small order going now!

snoczp
02-08-2010, 18:50
Get the 16" BCM mid-length.
You won't be sorry.

Whatever you do, spend the money to get a quality reliable rifle.

K. Foster
02-08-2010, 19:08
I really leaning on buying the lower and just waiting it out for the upper although I could pick up the BCM upper with DD rail today if I decide to

This is just my opinion, I’m not trying to influence you either way.
Railed fore ends are great if you need to mount vertical grips, PEQ lasers, large lights and so on. However, they add weight, some more than others. If you don’t need or want a bunch of accessories hanging off you rifle, I wouldn’t spend the money on it. If a person doesn’t carry the gun a lot, working or training with it, you probably won’t notice it but after a few hours of it hanging on a sling while you’re standing around waiting for someone to make a decision, you’ll want the lightest rifle you can find.
Daniel Defense is good stuff, if you want to go that way.

Mongosafari
02-08-2010, 19:19
Shop around a little more.

What does your local dealer charge for auction transfers? (IE: I charge $20, you pay for the gun and shipping to the seller, the dealer just transfers on 4473/NICS)
There are some pretty good deals on AR's on GunBroker.com and other sites.

I have two older Colt's and two newer Bushmasters- Happy with both.

Daps
02-08-2010, 19:34
I think it's $25 or $30 thats the transfer and background check...
I'll look on Gunbroker but I'm not too keen on auction sites, I dont even use Ebay anymore

Daps
02-08-2010, 19:37
This is just my opinion, I’m not trying to influence you either way.
Railed fore ends are great if you need to mount vertical grips, PEQ lasers, large lights and so on. However, they add weight, some more than others. If you don’t need or want a bunch of accessories hanging off you rifle, I wouldn’t spend the money on it. If a person doesn’t carry the gun a lot, working or training with it, you probably won’t notice it but after a few hours of it hanging on a sling while you’re standing around waiting for someone to make a decision, you’ll want the lightest rifle you can find.
Daniel Defense is good stuff, if you want to go that way.

I do plan on putting a VFG and light on it at some point. I'll probably go with just standard handguards unless it'll be another 6months before BCM has any in stock then I may get the one with the DD rail but knowing my luck those will be out of stock by then haha

MySiK26
02-08-2010, 19:37
I say look for lightly used BCM upper. Look on the ads here and AR15.COM, there are a few to be found for a good price. Throw that on your NIB lower and you are just missing the BCG,CG, and sights. I just got a railed, lightly used BCM upper for $650.

1811guy
02-08-2010, 19:44
Colt. It will do everything you want and you will never regret gettingit. Go ahead, drink the kool aid, it is soooooo sweet.

Daps
02-08-2010, 20:50
I say look for lightly used BCM upper. Look on the ads here and AR15.COM, there are a few to be found for a good price. Throw that on your NIB lower and you are just missing the BCG,CG, and sights. I just got a railed, lightly used BCM upper for $650.

I'll look into that.

Colt. It will do everything you want and you will never regret gettingit. Go ahead, drink the kool aid, it is soooooo sweet.

:rofl: why do I feel like I'm being tempted by the darkside lol

Keep the input coming guys. It's appreciated....

Glockernaut
02-08-2010, 21:07
FWIW, I just bought an unfired LMT complete rifle for $770 shipped in the GT ads. I thought this was a great price. Most of the RRA'S, BUSHY's, SW, and Stags cost over $800 at my gunshop. I was just looking to break into the tactical carbine lines on a limited budget. I was going to go with one of these "mid-tier" AR's, or an Arsenal AK for around $750 OTD until I found the LMT. Only one person besides me even showed interest which I thought was odd:dunno:. I would shop around for sure.

mikeyU
02-08-2010, 21:20
DDM4, check it out, great gun, quality. Or spend more and get a Noveske.

lawman800
02-09-2010, 00:07
Colt. Because no matter what you end up with you will always want a Colt. Also if you must sell it no one will give you squat for most ARs except for Colt and a couple others.

MF

Noeveske comes to mind as another premium brand.

However, what he said is true with Colt. Nothing else is a Colt. It's the same as when you get into the motorcycle cruiser market. You gotta go Harley. You can debate how great the Japanese cruisers are or that you like Victory or other American customs, but in the end, when you say cruiser, people say Harley.

A Japanese cruiser guy will pull up next to a guy on a Harley and say he will own a Harley someday. A Harley rider will never say that he wishes to own a Japanese cruiser someday.

ArmoryDoc
02-09-2010, 00:20
The right answer is...

forget the S&W.

Buy either the Colt or the BCM setup. The Colt is the benchmark all others are judged by and the BCM is it's twin. I have a Colt 6920 and a BCM M4 and I wouldn't trade either for any other make, period. It just don't get any better than these two.

El_Ron1
02-09-2010, 00:53
CDNN has had some good sales and included 10 mags. Get on their email list, give them a call and see what they'll do.

beerswimmer
02-09-2010, 13:39
Or get an XCR. It's AR everything, but it lets you have a folding stock:cool: Something the AR can't have. Plus if in the future you want to switch calibers, you can!

If I were starting all over, it's what I'd get!!!!!!

Daps
02-09-2010, 14:15
That puppy is going to be out of my price range :)

Still doing more research. I leaning towards ordering a BCM lower next week and waiting on them to get more uppers in.

Maybe BCM will get them around the time I get my bonus, then the money I have set aside for the upper I can use to buy accessories(mags,optics,ammo,sling, softcase, etc)

thisaway
02-09-2010, 14:25
Since you are a single dad, I suggest the BCM rifle, as it will be less expensive and offers comparable quality to the Colt. That being said, however, if you look around long enough you may find a better price on the Colt than what you quoted.

Daps
02-09-2010, 14:33
I think I saw some guys mentioning they saw some Colts for $1099 so that would be pretty much a wash with the BCM.

The choices the choices...

LA_357SIG
02-09-2010, 14:59
BCM:
With the BCM it looks like I can order the complete lower right now($350). The M4 Carbine barrels are out of stock($425). I know I'll have to have add the BCG, Charging handle($145), (M4 handguards 22.95),BCM/Troy(out of stock) BUIS($140) total $1060 not counting a magazine,s/h and transfer.

You can get a complete (not really but all parts to put it together) BCM midlength rifle direct from BCM for $1050 before tax, shipping and transfer. I say midlength because it is IN STOCK right now

I just got my middy upper w/ handguards, CH and BCG for $603 shipped (to TN)

Middy upper + BCG and charging handle $570
M/L handguards $20
Complete M4 lower $350
Carry handle $110

forjoshhall
02-09-2010, 15:04
I love my Rock River Arms ar-15s i have and entry tactical and a coyote 16. love them both. the fit together tight with no rattle and are more accurate than i am. PLUS right now RRA is giving consumers a huge break on the prices. whatever you get, you will end up spending at least another $500 on accessories. :whistling:

Range Rat
02-09-2010, 15:08
I love my Rock River Arms ar-15s i have and entry tactical and a coyote 16. love them both. the fit together tight with no rattle and are more accurate than i am. PLUS right now RRA is giving consumers a huge break on the prices. whatever you get, you will end up spending at least another $500 on accessories. :whistling:

I second this RRA endorsement, although Colt would be great too.

Daps
02-09-2010, 15:14
You can get a complete (not really but all parts to put it together) BCM midlength rifle direct from BCM for $1050 before tax, shipping and transfer. I say midlength because it is IN STOCK right now

I just got my middy upper w/ handguards, CH and BCG for $603 shipped (to TN)

Middy upper + BCG and charging handle $570
M/L handguards $20
Complete M4 lower $350
Carry handle $110

Are you in TN? What tax are you paying?
I'll go look at the mid-length. I was wanting a carbine and Bravo said they'd probably have some carbine barrels in by the spring. I came close to buying a complete BCM middy from G&R but they sold out before I decided. Everyone seems to have a good remarks about the middy though

LA_357SIG
02-09-2010, 16:39
Are you in TN? What tax are you paying?

I just say taxes to cover my bases so the internet police don't start a pissing contest about how they pay tax in Wisconsin for BCM products. And some companies like Bushmaster that charge sales tax no matter what state you live in.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/chrisq_01/1265675891.jpg

Daps
02-09-2010, 17:17
haha ok gotcha...dont scare me like that. I'm sure it won't be long before everyone starts charging tax for online bargins. I hear you're suppose to report and send any sales tax from any online purchases to the state:whistling:

That sure is a nice looking rifle you have there

Resqu2
02-09-2010, 17:18

Another vote for RRA entry/tac, had mine out in the rain today killing targets plus its a life time warranty, always goes bang, never had a problem yet.

kabob983
02-10-2010, 07:13
Get the 16" BCM mid-length.
You won't be sorry.

Whatever you do, spend the money to get a quality reliable rifle.

This.

Unless you want a 14.5" or you like the carbine gas system "look" I'd go with a middy for sure.

You can't go wrong with Colt or BCM, I have both. And at the current prices were I to buy another AR it'd probably be a S&W at some of the sale prices I've seen them go for.

Daps
02-10-2010, 07:24
Dont you have to get a stamp with a 14.5 or if you get a 14.5 with a perm flash hider you don't correct.

Ok dumb question time what's the point in a 14.5 with permanent flash hider vs a standard 16" barrel,doesn't the flasher hider push it out to 16"?

Also why would someone get a standard 16 with a permanent flash hider vs one thats not or is that for places like Cali that you'd have to have it permanent?

kabob983
02-10-2010, 07:32
Well, a 16" with a standard A2 flash hider is more like 17.3" so it's still a bit of a difference. The threaded flash hiders aren't counted as part of the actual barrel since they are removable, only those that are welded.

The 14.5" barrels "look" more military-correct.

Yeah, you either need an SBR stamp or an aftermarket welded flash hider that will bring the length to at least 16," although most will make it 16.1" just to be safe.

Daps
02-10-2010, 07:40
Thanks...I got it now....

kabob983
02-10-2010, 07:48
I'd get this (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm) or this (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm). The BFH (which is Cold Hammer Forged) is more expensive but the barrel will last a long time before needing to be replaced...probably your lifetime. The standard barrel will last you maybe 15,000-20,000 rounds before needing to be replaced, theoretically the CHF barrel will last 2.5-3x as long.

Daps
02-10-2010, 08:15
Wow the choices keep getting harder and harder....
I think I'mma order the BCM lower probably next week when i can get down to the credit union to get some money out and then decide on what I'm going to do about the upper. There's a link i saw on another board about middy vs carbine I need to read and now you thrown cold forged into the mix

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 08:27
I'd get this (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm) or this (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm). The BFH (which is Cold Hammer Forged) is more expensive but the barrel will last a long time before needing to be replaced...probably your lifetime. The standard barrel will last you maybe 15,000-20,000 rounds before needing to be replaced, theoretically the CHF barrel will last 2.5-3x as long.

This is incorrect. The standard barrel will last much longer than that. 20,000 is just the start of barrel wear for these. You'll get 50-75k out of a good AR chromed barrel.

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 08:35
Here's an honest truth. The BFH (barrel, forged hammer) does add some strength but it is more a marketing scheme than anything. The common person cannot wear out a standard barrel. For the money I just can't see it's worth the extra. I vote you save that money and go with a standard BCM barrel.

The BFH process is actually "cheaper" to produce. They are getting your extra $$$ with a good marketing strategy. By all means though, if you have the extra funds to toss at it you'll probably come close to getting your "$$$ back" in resale value if you need to turn it.

BCM and Colt. The best.

Disclaimer: I do not have any business interests with either group other than having owned their guns and using them A LOT.

Daps
02-10-2010, 10:10
Nope no extra $$$ to toss around :)
Thanks for the input.

kabob983
02-10-2010, 10:26
This is incorrect. The standard barrel will last much longer than that. 20,000 is just the start of barrel wear for these. You'll get 50-75k out of a good AR chromed barrel.

I've never worn out an AR barrel but I've heard that while they still function, their accuracy gets pretty bad at 20K+ rounds.

Daps
02-10-2010, 11:29
I'm thinking about going with a BCM 14.5 w/perm A2
I'm not the type to tinker, I'd eventually put a DD Omega rail on it, I think those are drop in.

Too many dang choices. geez the only thing that I've made my mind up on is the BCM lower...

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 11:42
I'm not the type to tinker, I'd eventually put a DD Omega rail on it, I think those are drop in.

Too many dang choices. geez the only thing that I've made my mind up on is the BCM lower...

A really good choice if that's what you end up with. I've got the 16" and love it. The quality is top shelf with all the bells and whistles QA stuff.

GlockLovin
02-10-2010, 12:56
LWRC!!! make your only ar the best ;)

Daps
02-10-2010, 13:05
I guess I should have added affordable in that post :cool:

kabob983
02-10-2010, 13:35

BCM is releasing a 14.5" middy in the next month or two...

Woot, I get to make your decision difficult again!

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 13:48

LOL ! That's funny. :rofl:

nathanours
02-10-2010, 13:59
Get the colt. I bought a 6920 this summer and have put something close to 2k rounds through it without a single jam. Runs like a top, and somehow it just feels perfect. Kool Aid drinker or not, there is a reason the Colt has the reputation it does.

I wouldn't change my decision if i could do it all over again.

Daps
02-10-2010, 14:36

Dang it, you had to add another piece to the puzzle didn't you :rofl:

I'm going to need a whole year to pro and con this thing...:supergrin:

kabob983
02-10-2010, 14:39
Get the colt. I bought a 6920 this summer and have put something close to 2k rounds through it without a single jam. Runs like a top, and somehow it just feels perfect. Kool Aid drinker or not, there is a reason the Colt has the reputation it does.

I wouldn't change my decision if i could do it all over again.

I've got few 6920s and a BCM. The BCM is prettier, the finish/internal dry lubing is a little better, and the fact that you can get it in a midlength makes it the winner by the SLIGHTEST of margins for me. Both run like a clock, both have absolute top notch function/quality. Both shoot beautifully, neither has had a jam (although I've got alot more rounds through the BCM) no matter what ammo I put through them.

BCM WOULD have been cheaper but I got the 6920s for under a grand each.

LOL ! That's funny. :rofl:

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week :cool:

kabob983
02-10-2010, 14:45
Dang it, you had to add another piece to the puzzle didn't you :rofl:

I'm going to need a whole year to pro and con this thing...:supergrin:

I aim to confound.

Link (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=179874) to where Paul from BC USA first mentions the 14.5" middy...I know there's more info elsewhere but I'd have to dig. I believe he said Spring of this year?

Daps
02-10-2010, 14:51
Well you're doing a good job.:wavey:

Spring sounds about right. I emailed them the other day on an ETA for their 16" M4 barrels and he said 4-8weeks. So that gives me a little more time to research I want to hit the buy button as soon as they come back in because no telling how long the wait will be after they sell out again. :cool:

Off to read that link now

K. Foster
02-10-2010, 15:11
Daps
Without getting to touchy-feely, it’s obvious you did your research before starting this thread. You’re looking at quality equipment and asking good questions.
So many people start threads like “I just bought an Oly ‘cause the gun shop guy said it was better than Colt. Is that right?”
I applaud you for going about this the right way.

kabob983
02-10-2010, 15:15
Yeah, buy it right the first time.

My first AR was a CMMG right when they released their "WASP" barrels. I didn't do the research and ended up with a rifle I did not want. Sold it off in under a week.

Daps
02-10-2010, 15:34
Daps
Without getting to touchy-feely, it’s obvious you did your research before starting this thread. You’re looking at quality equipment and asking good questions.
So many people start threads like “I just bought an Oly ‘cause the gun shop guy said it was better than Colt. Is that right?”
I applaud you for going about this the right way.

Yeah, buy it right the first time.

My first AR was a CMMG right when they released their "WASP" barrels. I didn't do the research and ended up with a rifle I did not want. Sold it off in under a week.

Thanks guys I appreciate that..

I'm trying to put in the work by reading and asking. I've been up late nights just reading thread after thread. I know that may be a little anal but I'm gaining a whole lot of insight and I don't want buyers remorse. I figure if I'm going to spend the money I may as well save a little longer and spend the money on a top quality one excluding the ones that cost $3g I can't justify that.

Now if a certain someone would stop giving me more to look at I'll finally get to make my mind up:whistling:

With that being said :supergrin: I'm guessing the middy 14.5 would give me more hand space, what length rail would they use?

MistoGators
02-10-2010, 15:35
Shooters down in Jacksonville has great prices on Smith & Wesson M&P ARs (I bought mine there last summer).

http://www.shootersjax.com/Smith-Wesson-M-P-Rifles.aspx

kabob983
02-10-2010, 15:47
Now if a certain someone would stop giving me more to look at I'll finally get to make my mind up:whistling:

With that being said :supergrin: I'm guessing the middy 14.5 would give me more hand space, what length rail would they use?

You'd want a 9" standard or 10" extended (gas block or shave down the FSB) rail for a midlength, almost all the popular rails are offered in 9", many in 10" so finding the one for your rifle won't be a problem. I know the DD Omega rail comes in 9" (which you mentioned earlier you liked).

As for the S&W they're great rifles, especially if you can get one on sale (I've seen 'em go for like $750), but they've got the 1:9 barrel twist and don't have the same level of QC that you're going to get with Colt or BCM.

Not sure what you're talking about giving you more to look at...:whistling:

Daps
02-10-2010, 15:59
Thanks..good info to know...The 14.5 will still be accurate with the shorter barrel? I'm guessing not enough to really tell unless I'm going long range which for now isn't an option

Yeah I've pretty much ruled out the S&W as I want the 1/7 twist just so I could go heavy if I wanted and also I wanted to be on the higher end of the infamous chart:supergrin: The S&W would be my choice if I decided to spend less on the rifle so I could buy goodies to go with it right out of the gate but it looks like BCM will have their barrels in stock around the same time we're getting our bonus so that's going on some goodies for me and something for my kid

I guess we'll just blame it on a little birdie :tongueout:

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 16:00
I agree with Kabob983 that the BCM is a "little" better gun than the Colt 6920. Mine (6920) had a few "finish nicks" and an "slightly" uneven finish right out of the sealed box. The BCM is at least just as good build-wise but the finish and fit are better. To top it off, unbelievably, BCM is cheaper too. Wow. Colt ? You readin' this ???

I still love my Colt. I just wish the company would treat the product like it really is the most famous brand name in the world and I'm proud to own the benchmark of the black rifle world. Having said that, my BCM is not for sale. EVER. NEVER. ;)

Daps
02-10-2010, 16:11
I agree with Kabob983 that the BCM is a "little" better gun than the Colt 6920. Mine (6920) had a few "finish nicks" and an "slightly" uneven finish right out of the sealed box. The BCM is at least just as good build-wise but the finish and fit are better. To top it off, unbelievably, BCM is cheaper too. Wow. Colt ? You readin' this ???

I still love my Colt. I just wish the company would treat the product like it really is the most famous brand name in the world and I'm proud to own the benchmark of the black rifle world. Having said that, my BCM is not for sale. EVER. NEVER. ;)

That's another reason I'm leaning toward BCM. 1 I'm helping a smaller company and the owner post on forums and seems to try to provide what the consumer wants. 2. I've read about the fit and finish on some Colts. I know they're the bees knee to which all others are copied but I feel like if I'm going to spend a lot of money for me. I want it to be pretty looking at least until I scratch and mark it up :supergrin: Yeah it has nothing to do with function because I know Colt will run great right out of the box.

I know I said one and only rifle so maybe one day I'll go back and add a Colt but I don't think if I got the BCM I'd be sitting around saying I wish I got the Colt like I would if I got the S&W or mid tier rifle

kabob983
02-10-2010, 18:14
Thanks..good info to know...The 14.5 will still be accurate with the shorter barrel? I'm guessing not enough to really tell unless I'm going long range which for now isn't an option

Accuracy difference is miniscule at best, you'll be able to knock the middle out of the X at 100 yards with either if you're a good enough shot. The thing you'll miss with the shorter barrel is muzzle velocity, which is key to bullet fragmentation, but even that isn't going to be a huge issue.

As for BCM being a smaller company, they certainly are taking the AR world by storm. And their customer service is absolutely top notch. I had a problem with the magazine catch on my BCM lower when I first got it and Paul nearly flipped (in a good way). He pretty much said "what can I do to make it better," and offered a replacement. I told him that'd be nice but I had a carbine course to go to in two days, so he overnighted me a replacement catch on his dollar.

Fantastic company for sure.

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 18:21
That's another reason I'm leaning toward BCM. 1 I'm helping a smaller company and the owner post on forums and seems to try to provide what the consumer wants. 2. I've read about the fit and finish on some Colts. I know they're the bees knee to which all others are copied but I feel like if I'm going to spend a lot of money for me. I want it to be pretty looking at least until I scratch and mark it up :supergrin: Yeah it has nothing to do with function because I know Colt will run great right out of the box.

I know I said one and only rifle so maybe one day I'll go back and add a Colt but I don't think if I got the BCM I'd be sitting around saying I wish I got the Colt like I would if I got the S&W or mid tier rifle

I completely empathize with your post. My Colt 6920 is my "safe queen". My BCM M4 is my "workin' gun". Good luck with yours and happy shooting. :wavey:

Daps
02-10-2010, 19:06
Accuracy difference is miniscule at best, you'll be able to knock the middle out of the X at 100 yards with either if you're a good enough shot. The thing you'll miss with the shorter barrel is muzzle velocity, which is key to bullet fragmentation, but even that isn't going to be a huge issue.

As for BCM being a smaller company, they certainly are taking the AR world by storm. And their customer service is absolutely top notch. I had a problem with the magazine catch on my BCM lower when I first got it and Paul nearly flipped (in a good way). He pretty much said "what can I do to make it better," and offered a replacement. I told him that'd be nice but I had a carbine course to go to in two days, so he overnighted me a replacement catch on his dollar.

Fantastic company for sure.

That's the thing that draws me to BCM. All the threads I read everyone says Paul goes out of his way to make his customers happy and has an awesome product.

kabob983
02-11-2010, 09:15
That he does. I told my wife I was done buying AR stuff for a while (it was her idea to buy all 3 of my 6920's at the same time :) ) but I may have to pick up a 14.5" middy when they're released.

I support companies I believe in.

Daps
02-11-2010, 09:51
Wow man you have an AWESOME wife...

Well I just ordered a BCM lower :supergrin:

So I'm half way there :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

NeverMore1701
02-11-2010, 10:22
I'm just trying to decide which to get next; an 11.5", 14.5" middy, or 16" middy lightweight! Then of course I'm going to need a 20"..... Love BCM.

kabob983
02-11-2010, 10:55
14.5" middy gets my vote nevermore...if you're looking for suggestions :P

NeverMore1701
02-11-2010, 16:25
Yeah, it does call one's name, doesn't it....

Depends how long the IRS takes getting me my $200 refund, and then how long it takes the ATF to get it back....

One of each is easy, it's the order in which to get them that's hard! (especially on a studen't budget).

Daps
02-11-2010, 17:57
Hopefully I don't come down with BRD. I'm not sure my wallet can handle it

WarMachine
02-12-2010, 10:48
I've been nothing but happy with my middy BCM upper. And their service is some of the fastest I've dealt with. My upper was packed and shipped in less than 24 hours of me placing the order. And for those who care about fit-and-finish, everything is top notch.

And catching BRD is unavoidable. Like death, it is postponable, but inescapable.

Also, does anyone know what lube BCM ships these things out with? I find the smell very appealing for some reason. It's almost...fragrant