Gordon: Youth offender law a mistake [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gordon: Youth offender law a mistake

Wp.22
02-08-2010, 19:05
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20100209-252105/Gordon-Youth-offenders-law-a-mistake

MANILA, Philippines—Sen. Richard Gordon promised to review the Youth Offenders’ Law if he becomes president, noting that criminals use children as their legmen to evade prosecution.

“The law was a mistake. I voted for it and I regret it,” Gordon said at the Inquirer-sponsored presidential forum at the UP Theater on Monday.

“The law has good intentions but adults were behind these minors,” he said in Filipino.

Gordon said that as part of his legislative agenda if he became president, he would also urge Congress to “teach young people more accountability” and not just separate them from adult criminals once a review of the law was made.

“We need to plug the loopholes,” he added.

During the forum, panelist Fr. Joaquin Bernas, a constitutional expert, asked Gordon what meaning he would give the word “rebellion.”

Bernas premised his question on President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s declaration of martial law in Maguindanao province last year, citing rebellion, following the massacre of 57 people by alleged supporters of the Ampatuan clan.

“Rebellion does not exist in Mindanao,” said Gordon, a graduate of the UP law school. “As far as I’m concerned, rebellion is an uprising to unseat the government. There was no such effort but there was an effort to hide the killings.”

Bernas repeated his question, and Gordon said “the proper crime was murder.” He said the rebellion charge was just “a cop-out, an attempt to … protect them (the Ampatuans) from the more serious offense of [57] murder cases individually.”

Bernas said the senator still had not answered his question, and asked his question a third time. Gordon said: “There is no rebellion, no public uprising. The government still exists …”

CatsMeow
02-08-2010, 19:22
A little late for that, Senator.:upeyes: A UP Law grad like him should remember what the road to hell is paved with.

isuzu
02-08-2010, 20:26
Aw, come on! He should have known better before he voted for the law.

PMMA97
02-09-2010, 01:28
A little late for that, Senator.:upeyes: A UP Law grad like him should remember what the road to hell is paved with.

UP pala si Gordon. I never thought that UP Law had such huge college bull ring.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2zyvqrr.jpg

CatsMeow
02-09-2010, 02:36
I met him at Subic in 1995, and he kept referring to our law school as "University of Law, College of the Philippines".:supergrin: Still, the UP Law education didn't take the brashness out of him, as is still evident today.

And he's running for President... Let's see if he will work for the modification of the law in question after the elections.

MAJINKONG
02-09-2010, 07:09
he is a proponent of volunteerism... he will make every citizen a volunteer before being hired for a job.

Allegra
02-09-2010, 08:03
I'm about to vote for him
Anyone with concrete reasons why I should not?

pipo
02-09-2010, 08:10
i read he is one of those politicians who supported the proposed gun control bill. This is enough reason for me to withdraw my support for him

Kaiser Soze
02-09-2010, 08:41
I'm about to vote for him
Anyone with concrete reasons why I should not?

When he was relieved of his duties as SBMA Chairman, he barricaded himself within the area, and was caught on camera BURNING and STOMPING on the Philippine flag. (I'm trying to find a video of the act)

Another reason is amidst all of the problems we're facing now, one of his priority bills is a law to add a ninth ray to the flag. Not job creation, not hunger alleviation, not reformed taxation, he wants to mess with the flag. The ninth ray is supposed to represent Muslim Filipinos, and I'd be onboard to support this under different circumstances, but here's the thing: Filipino Muslims didn't even ask for it! (I asked some Muslim acquaintances who are from different areas of Mindanao, and this was the first time they'd heard of it...and their opinion is that there's nothing wrong with the current flag, so it's really a non-issue...ang sabi nga nung isa, he should focus on bringing more teachers and doctors, and infrastructure to Mindanao instead of this!)

I am a fan of his work ethic and his smarts, but I don't think I'm going to vote for his for Prez.

Allegra
02-09-2010, 09:31
Burning the pinoy flag! can this be confirmed?

I'm looking for charges of corruption
I can forgive his gun control act if he and BF can make pinoys follow the law
I'm not looking for miracles
I just want justice to be served , the guilty to be punished so everyone will obey the law
Pantay pantay the law should apply to everyone walang malakas

That way , makikita naming mahihirap na level ang playing field
sisipagin kami magtrabaho kasi alam naming may pag asa ,
Na kahit mayaman ka kailangan ka pa rin sumunod sa batas

and it takes political will and brass balls to do that
and Dick has balls!!

Eye Cutter
02-09-2010, 11:49
I think the Ang Ladlad Party List Group is supporting Gordon and Fernando,

Meron ka na Dick, Meron ka pa BF!

LoL!

PMMA97
02-09-2010, 15:03
Erap's Executive Order number 1 was to remove Gordon from SBMA.

Maybe it was a retaliatory move against Dick because Eraps Jeep was not allowed to campaign in Olongapo.

I never saw the flag stomping though.

Allegra
02-09-2010, 16:25
Erap's Executive Order number 1 was to remove Gordon from SBMA.

Maybe it was a retaliatory move against Dick because Eraps Jeep was not allowed to campaign in Olongapo.

I never saw the flag stomping though.

I remeber my first visit to subic, uso pa duty free
Nahuli ako ng police , for not stopping sa stop sign
I said to myself , this is one first class community

Same w/ BF
Binawi ng MMDA ang mga kinuha ng squatters sa national road here in Laguna
Squatters both rich and poor
Mga barong barong pati , malaking gate ng private hospital even half a shopping center
Something the mayors were afraid to do

also thinking about Gibo , pero still unproven but huge on potential

PMMA97
02-09-2010, 17:33
I remeber my first visit to subic, uso pa duty free
Nahuli ako ng police , for not stopping sa stop sign
I said to myself , this is one first class community

During Dicks time the SBMA police WAS world class specifically on traffic matters. But now I am seeing a sad decline in enforcement. SBMA vehicles flagrantly violating their own rules. Rolling stops. Confusing traffic signs. Disregarding pedestrians right of way.

But the traffic situation in Olongapo City, which is Gordon country, is getting worse.

Toby1006Glock
02-10-2010, 00:23
PMMA97, the traffic situation is getting worse in Olongapo kasi you have migrants from all over the country na lahat gusto magkaroon ng magandang buhay sa Olongapo either as jeepney / tricycle drivers, you have Muslim vendors na may nga Delica vans, scooters - lahat ito nakakakuha ng license sa LTO without undergoing honest-to-goodness defensive driving seminar, no idea about driving etiquette, road courtesy etc. In fact, most of Filipino drivers sa bansa natin natuto mag-drive thru experience at turo ni daddy at kuya. Kaya pag-nagdrive inside SBMA, ayun huli because wala tayo idea about traffic rules. Still the City Hall compliments it with defensive driving seminar among public utility drivers everytime they renew their permit to drive in Olongapo. BTW, ito ay brainchild ni Mayor Richard "Dick" Gordon when he was mayor.

Sad that people would vote for someone who has the name or pedigree instead of track record or accomplishments. What would we feel if we apply for a job, your resume says cum laude ka, with all the awards, recognitions, trainings and what have you. Tapos you got beaten out for the job by someone who's only qualification for the position is his illustrious name. Kaya si Dick Gordon inspite of his track record, accomplishments eh nahihirapan sa campaign kasi wala siyang apelyido na illustrious sa tingin ng iba. Look at my aunt, Haydee Yorac or even Solita "Winnie" Monsod, we all know they are both qualified to be senators, because they have the smarts, track record and integrity. Yet they lost to guys like Tito Sotto, Ramon Revilla Sr & Jr, Lito Lapid. Kaya we have no one to blame but ourselves kasi "shallow" ang criteria natin.

Kaya pagtapos ng gun ban, i-line up na natin yung posters at tarps ng local at national candidates sa gun range at putukan natin. Bibigyan ko ng campaign poster ko si PMMA97 para putukan niya. hehehe. God bless to all BOGS.

P.S. no flag stomping/burning incident during the Subic Siege. Maybe Kaiser Soze was referring to the burning of the fire truck and when Dick was vigorously waving the flag with a broken pole. I was there all 3 months when we defied Executive Order No. 1, we all felt vindicated when the excesses and abuses of Erap led to his own ouster.

mansky
02-10-2010, 00:32
Going back to the Youth Offender Law...

Its such an ill thought off law created by Mr Sharon Cuneta. Have you noticed how much of the crime being reportedly lately are committed by people below 18yo?

ps. Dick probabaly signed and gave his approval of the bill because Kiko is a fraternity brother of his in UP

Wp.22
02-10-2010, 00:43
PMMA97, the traffic situation is getting worse in Olongapo kasi you have migrants from all over the country na lahat gusto magkaroon ng magandang buhay sa Olongapo either as jeepney / tricycle drivers, you have Muslim vendors na may nga Delica vans, scooters - lahat ito nakakakuha ng license sa LTO without undergoing honest-to-goodness defensive driving seminar, no idea about driving etiquette, road courtesy etc. In fact, most of Filipino drivers sa bansa natin natuto mag-drive thru experience at turo ni daddy at kuya. Kaya pag-nagdrive inside SBMA, ayun huli because wala tayo idea about traffic rules. Still the City Hall compliments it with defensive driving seminar among public utility drivers everytime they renew their permit to drive in Olongapo. BTW, ito ay brainchild ni Mayor Richard "Dick" Gordon when he was mayor.

Sad that people would vote for someone who has the name or pedigree instead of track record or accomplishments. What would we feel if we apply for a job, your resume says cum laude ka, with all the awards, recognitions, trainings and what have you. Tapos you got beaten out for the job by someone who's only qualification for the position is his illustrious name. Kaya si Dick Gordon inspite of his track record, accomplishments eh nahihirapan sa campaign kasi wala siyang apelyido na illustrious sa tingin ng iba. Look at my aunt, Haydee Yorac or even Solita "Winnie" Monsod, we all know they are both qualified to be senators, because they have the smarts, track record and integrity. Yet they lost to guys like Tito Sotto, Ramon Revilla Sr & Jr, Lito Lapid. Kaya we have no one to blame but ourselves kasi "shallow" ang criteria natin.

Kaya pagtapos ng gun ban, i-line up na natin yung posters at tarps ng local at national candidates sa gun range at putukan natin. Bibigyan ko ng campaign poster ko si PMMA97 para putukan niya. hehehe. God bless to all BOGS.

P.S. no flag stomping/burning incident during the Subic Siege. Maybe Kaiser Soze was referring to the burning of the fire truck and when Dick was vigorously waving the flag with a broken pole. I was there all 3 months when we defied Executive Order No. 1, we all felt vindicated when the excesses and abuses of Erap led to his own ouster.

Nandyan naman si Flash Gordon same surname ni Dick:supergrin:

Allegra
02-10-2010, 04:54

Tell him , yun lang ang wish ko sa next pres
Ipatupad ang batas

and if he needs a press sec , pwede rin ako heehee just kidding

PMMA97
02-10-2010, 13:59
I think Toby1006Glocks observations are correct. I have seen improvements in enforcement but the sheer volume of vehicles and wanton disregard of the law by most of the motorists oftentimes overwhelms the traffic enforcers.

And with additional investments by corporations being poured into the city I am quite sure that this traffic problem could potentially be a nightmare for Olongapo.

I personally know the head of the Olongapo Traffic Management Board and I think he is doing his best given his limited resources.

Penge city hall sticker :supergrin:

Toby1006Glock
02-11-2010, 01:05
I think Toby1006Glocks observations are correct. I have seen improvements in enforcement but the sheer volume of vehicles and wanton disregard of the law by most of the motorists oftentimes overwhelms the traffic enforcers.

And with additional investments by corporations being poured into the city I am quite sure that this traffic problem could potentially be a nightmare for Olongapo.

I personally know the head of the Olongapo Traffic Management Board and I think he is doing his best given his limited resources.

Penge city hall sticker :supergrin:

Yun lang! :crying: Bigyan kita business card ko, lalo kalang tutuluyan ng mga TEO's natin. :tongueout: God bless bro

CatsMeow
02-11-2010, 01:29
Ol' Dick is such a persuasive speaker, after listening to him at Subic I wanted to join the SBMA.:supergrin: You guys active with the PNRC know what I mean.

One of the main impetus behind that blasted law is that movie on child detainees shown at the MCLE in Cebu in 2007 (were you there presidinglock?) which was cut short due to a strident protest by one of the attendees.

Allegra
02-12-2010, 07:36
Madaming gutso kay gordon , but sayang daw vote nila kasi hindi mananalo
I voted dati for GMA kasi I felt \Lacson wouldnt win
This time , I'll vote who I really want

nitrox920
02-13-2010, 15:31
Gordon supported the gun control bill in the senate

Toby1006Glock
02-13-2010, 22:54
I voted for Raul Roco even if he did not stood a chance against Erap in 1998. Atleast I voted out of principle and not convenience nor winnability. We all know what happened during Erap's reign - his excesses and abuses and lahat ng ayaw kay Erap could only sigh and say "sabi ko sa inyo eh". So here we go again, it seems every six years we are in the same dilemma - maybe this time maybe we should vote based on the candidates' competence, qualification, track record and platform - not popularity nor what the surveys say.

We Pinoys know what we dont want but we dont say or insist what we REALLY want. In the end, we always settle for mediocrity or second best which doesnt really count. Again, I will vote for GORDON-BAYANI this 2010, manalo o matalo! Atleast pwede ko sabihin uli "sinabi ko sa inyo eh".

IMHO, Assuming Dick Gordon supported the gun control bill, hope it does not make him less qualified to serve the interest of the majority of our people. We licensed & legal gun-holders should be circumspect of what is the BEST for this country, not just our peculiar interest. Sana dumami pa sa BOGS ang maging interested and aware sa May 2010 elections and demand from the candidates what we really want for this country. God bless us all!

Allegra
02-14-2010, 02:17
Bill's pwede i-amend , ang matalino pwede pa mapalinawagan
Yung incompetent at corrupt , ayun wala nang pag asa

Allegra
02-20-2010, 09:30
Why i'm sure to vote for Gordon!

Gordon urges Filipinos to eat less rice

By Cathy C. Yamsuan
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:06:00 02/20/2010

MANILA, Philippines—Eat and import less rice and be healthy.

That’s according to Sen. Richard Gordon, who will have Filipinos eating less rice under his projected administration for the sake of health and the economy.

“We should eat less rice ... because [too much is] bad for our health. Diabetes comes with too many carbohydrates. I would like a campaign like that,” said Gordon, the standard-bearer of the Bagumbayan party.

Carbohydrates like rice break down as sugar and are stored as fat when not burned as energy.
And an eat-less-rice program fits the doctor’s prescription against lifestyle diseases like obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes, Gordon said.

Paradigm shift

His less-rice program is still sketchy at this stage, but he said it would involve the use of mongo, camote and cassava as replacements of the staple.

Asked if he thought the public would take to this gustatory shift, Gordon noted that Filipino migrants eventually adjusted to new cuisine.

More dollars

“When you go to America there’s a [different culinary] paradigm. We just have to stretch ourselves a little bit more. Life would already be more difficult with climate change, so we have to be smarter. We have to consider [less rice] for health reasons,” he said.

The Gordon School of Economics theorizes that if Filipinos eat less rice, there would be less imports and more dollar savings.

Taken a little farther, less rice consumption coupled with better irrigation technology can mean rice surplus—ergo, the possibility of exportation that is equivalent to dollar earnings.

“If we sell rice abroad, we make more dollars. If we sell less, we earn less,” he said. “If we want to earn more dollars from our rice, we should be a more rice-producing and -exporting nation.”

To set the tone, Gordon said, the country would still import rice in the first three years of his administration.

Wake up

But within this period, he plans to accelerate the creation of irrigable lands by building more and smaller catchment dams nationwide to collect rainwater and prevent flooding.

Gordon said the prevalence of El Niño in the Pacific area made it imperative for the Philippines to consider radical solutions, especially because the adverse weather pattern hurt agricultural workers the most.

He said his campaign for less rice and additional irrigation plots would be “part of a new frame of mind for Filipinos.”

“We need to wake up this nation from slumber... We need to teach a culture of productivity,” he said.