Disassembled my bolt carrier for the first time.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disassembled my bolt carrier for the first time..

Soviet937
02-08-2010, 23:02
wasnt that bad i guess. eventually figured it out. rifle is a bushmaster xm15 e2s if it matters. i noticed when i took the actual bolt out that there was a bunch of carbon on the tail of it. i cleaned that off the best i could, and looking inside the carrier i noticed some carbon build up, doesnt look easy to get to though. i have a basic cleaning kit. my uncle told me though that the carbon inside the carrier can be cleaned if i really want to but its mainly cosmetic, can someone give me a second opinion please? and thank,

and also, what kind of lubrication would be best and where to put it on the inside of the bolt carrier setup would be best?

thanks for your time gentlemen.

Onmilo
02-09-2010, 09:15
There are carbon scrapers made specifically for cleaning the interior of the bolt carrier.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19646/Product/AR_15_M16_BOLT_CARRIER_CARBON_SCRAPER
Lubricate the bolt well and install it in the carrier and lubricate the outside surfaces of the bolt carrier.

Some like to run their weapon "wet" meaning literally dripping with oil, I like to use a good teflon based oil and run the bolt and carrier "damp" meaning the oil is visible on the surfaces but not oozing or dripping.

Hedo1
02-09-2010, 12:38
wasnt that bad i guess. eventually figured it out. rifle is a bushmaster xm15 e2s if it matters. i noticed when i took the actual bolt out that there was a bunch of carbon on the tail of it. i cleaned that off the best i could, and looking inside the carrier i noticed some carbon build up, doesnt look easy to get to though. i have a basic cleaning kit. my uncle told me though that the carbon inside the carrier can be cleaned if i really want to but its mainly cosmetic, can someone give me a second opinion please? and thank,

and also, what kind of lubrication would be best and where to put it on the inside of the bolt carrier setup would be best?

thanks for your time gentlemen.

I soak mine in a metal pan of brake cleaner every now and then. Take it out and give it a good scrub or scrape and it's usually clean and good to go.

Soviet937
02-09-2010, 18:42
cool, thanks alot fellas, im was more of an AK kinda of guy but im learning more more about these things. sure do love them though :supergrin:

CatsMeow
02-09-2010, 21:14
I soak mine in a metal pan of brake cleaner every now and then. Take it out and give it a good scrub or scrape and it's usually clean and good to go.

I use brake cleaner too. Thing is I was specifically warned to take out the extractor and clean it separately without brake cleaner as the latter would allegedly break down the extractor insert.

I'm a bit OC when it comes to cleaning...

Reb 56
02-09-2010, 21:26
Being new to AR's myself wonder how the GI's manage to clean their M4,s in the field after fighting all day then spending the night in a slit trench ? Seems like a complex job on my cleaning bench.

billyblooshoes
02-09-2010, 21:58
just did mine too for the first time. wasnt bad at all. kinda satisfying actually.

G32sapper
02-09-2010, 22:25
Cleaning in the field is a 5 min job if you run your AR wet. The carbon will just wipe right off.

Reb 56
02-10-2010, 00:10
Cleaning in the field is a 5 min job if you run your AR wet. The carbon will just wipe right off.

Sure but do they take the bolt out of the carrier or just lube throug the ejection port? I'm talking at night in the dirt.

PlasticGuy
02-10-2010, 10:56
I run my AR15's soaked with lube, and I am meticulous about cleaning them after shooting sessions. I'm an AK fan also, so I'm used to "hose it down with CLP, wipe off excess, couple passes with a bore snake, done". The AR15 is different. The fastest way to cause problems with an AR15 is to get it hot, dry, and full of carbon. Keeping it clean and soaked with lube is the best way to avoid problems. Any carbon on the bolt or carrier is bad, and any hardened carbon means it didn't have enough lube.

Constructor
02-10-2010, 11:05
After cleaning coat the tail of the bolt close to the rings with white lithium grease or another high temp grease, Tetra, mobil 1 etc. it will help delay the carbon build up. The carrier key gas port directs the spent gases on to the slope just behind the gas rings.
Break cleaner will remove the carbon but unless oiled after makes the surface very clean and carbon will stick to the bolt tail and build up faster.

Hedo1
02-10-2010, 11:11

With that many tours under you belt...that's sage advice imo!

Hedo1
02-10-2010, 11:11
I use brake cleaner too. Thing is I was specifically warned to take out the extractor and clean it separately without brake cleaner as the latter would allegedly break down the extractor insert.

I'm a bit OC when it comes to cleaning...

I haven't heard that. Can't imagine that it would however. Interesting.

Mayhem like Me
02-10-2010, 11:29
I haven't heard that. Can't imagine that it would however. Interesting.

It's rubber or polymer brake cleaner can probably add to it's speed of degradation.

Wade-0
02-10-2010, 21:33
.45cal bore brush also works pretty well for cleaning the inside of the carrier, and you can use a penny to safely scrape the carbon off the tail of the bolt. Keep it well lubed and the next cleaning will be a cinch.

Flinter
02-10-2010, 22:42
Sure but do they take the bolt out of the carrier or just lube throug the ejection port? I'm talking at night in the dirt.

We don't clean them at night. We are usually busy moving/operating at night. If we need to clean them during the day and we are tactical one man watches the other wipes his bolt down and re-oils. Then they switch. Any grunt worth his salt knows there is no need to keep the thing inspection ready clean in order for it to function reliably.

RMTactical
02-11-2010, 04:16
I don't have a problem with carbon build up because I lube my rifles well at all times. This really cuts down on not just the carbon build up itself but makes what is there much easier to clean.

That said, a little bit of carbon won't hurt anything.

An AR15 is going to run well as long as it is properly lubed. Cleaning it is not nearly as important or vital as lube. Remember that. I prefer CLP because it works for me. Any lube is better than nothing though.

Kentak
02-11-2010, 09:04
The best way I've found to remove the hard carbon on the tail of the bolt is to just scrape it off with one of those narrow blade utility knives--you know, the kind with the retracting blades with the snap-off points. Again, I'm talking about the part of the bolt that curves away from the rings towards the "tail" of the bolt. The other parts can be cleaned with a little solvent and a toothbrush.

Kentak
02-11-2010, 09:15
I don't have a problem with carbon build up because I lube my rifles well at all times. This really cuts down on not just the carbon build up itself but makes what is there much easier to clean.

That said, a little bit of carbon won't hurt anything.

An AR15 is going to run well as long as it is properly lubed. Cleaning it is not nearly as important or vital as lube. Remember that. I prefer CLP because it works for me. Any lube is better than nothing though.

Yes, I've come to believe the same thing. All that blackish lube may look messy, but it's not going to hurt anything. Cleaning an AR need not be a huge deal. Spray CLP or other proven solvent/lube of your choice and wipe off. I've modified a toothbrush to easily reach the nooks and crannies in the barrel extension to clean the lugs. I make sure there's no build up under the extractor claw or on the boltface, and that's about it.

Whiskey Six
02-11-2010, 10:31
Being new to AR's myself wonder how the GI's manage to clean their M4,s in the field after fighting all day then spending the night in a slit trench ? Seems like a complex job on my cleaning bench.
If you are sitting in a slit trench all night you have bigger problems than a dirty rifle. Slit trenches are for pooping.:rofl:
This. Plus you don't lay your parts in the dirt. Pull the BCG out and lay in on your pack or whatever. Grab the cleaning brush and CLP and scrub it wet then wipe it off. Wet it down and reassemble. A stripper clip works well for scraping carbon.

Reb 56
02-11-2010, 23:18
If you are sitting in a slit trench all night you have bigger problems than a dirty rifle. Slit trenches are for pooping.:rofl:

This. Plus you don't lay your parts in the dirt. Pull the BCG out and lay in on your pack or whatever. Grab the cleaning brush and CLP and scrub it wet then wipe it off. Wet it down and reassemble. A stripper clip works well for scraping carbon.

Sorry about the slit trench thing, when I was in the Army 1956 through 1964 terminology was different we pooped in cat holes and took cover in slit trench.

Six Feet Under
02-11-2010, 23:53
I put wheel bearing grease on my bolt carrier's contact surfaces (the four rails) and a little on the lugs and bolt body itself. Never had any problems with it and the stuff lasts forever - I've put over a thousand rounds through it and cleaned it once, in about five minutes. That's nowhere near run "hard" compared to some folks, but it works so far. Cleaning is a breeze, the grease traps most of the carbon and you wipe it off with a rag and re-grease, you're pretty much done.

Whiskey Six
02-12-2010, 00:40
Sorry about the slit trench thing, when I was in the Army 1956 through 1964 terminology was different we pooped in cat holes and took cover in slit trench.

No problem. When I was in a slit trench was a latrine. Cat hole = one person/one use. Slit trench = many people/multiple uses. Take cover in a fighting hole.

A slit trench is better than a half barrel and diesel fuel.:wow:

mkmckinley
02-12-2010, 13:15

I the field you just shotgun the rifle, pull out the BCG, wipe off the grit, add lube, maybe boresnake the barrel, and put it back together. A filthy rifle will run fine with lube. Taking the BCG down at night in the dirt is a good way to lose a part and make yourself combat ineffective.

NeverMore1701
02-12-2010, 14:22
Know a guy who kept a spare BCG in a heavy duty ziplock in his pack. If the rifle got too nasty and he was in a hurry, he'd just swap it in and clean the dirty one a his leisure.