OK to hunt and consume local "wildlife"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OK to hunt and consume local "wildlife"?

Glockster_221
02-09-2010, 03:25
So I want to taste squirrel meat. I guess I got a little redneck in me. :)

I have a sweet Colt 1911 Government A1 pellet gun, chambered in .177 pellets. Rifled steel bore, fires 425 ft. per second at the muzzle. I have some premium hunting loads.

Are there any legal and/or medical reasons I should not kill and consume local squirrel in my back yard?

Also, if it is OK to do, what are some good recipes you guys have in mind?

Appreciate it.

profiler999
02-09-2010, 07:52
Just make sure you follow the appropriate hunting seasons. In my state you don't need a hunting license if you "own" the land. If you rent, you'll need to have a hunting license and follow the "seasons", ie ours runs from October to February for example.

They are pretty tasty. I prefer to cook them in a crock pot, similar to a pulled pork sandwich.

vafish
02-09-2010, 15:12
With that pellet gun only head shots will kill the squirrel quickly.

You'll have much better luck (although not as much satisfaction) with a rat trap baited with peanut butter and nailed to a tree.

Hummer
02-09-2010, 21:42
Go to the website of the CA fish and game commission LINK (http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#311) to learn the legal requirements and season for taking squirrel. Apparently only tree squirrel species are legal but not ground squirrel species. You can't hunt in all counties or most municipalities. You must have a small game hunting license and cannot use a pellet pistol. I don't think a squirrel can be consistently and humanely killed with a 425 fps, .177 cal pellet pistol which is probably why the regs exclude them.

Beyond the legal aspects, there's no reason not to eat squirrel except that they offer very little meat and are pretty stinky little critters to clean. :supergrin:

Jonesee
02-09-2010, 21:51
Recipes...

If it is a young squirrel, cook it anyway you want. If it is an old squirrel, it will be tough so stew it.

To clean it, start at the back legs, make your cuts through the skin. Have a friend hold it upside down and you pull the skin off inside out down over its head. Cut the head off and no fur on the meat. Cut the body cavity open without puncturing the digestive tract and reach in and pull it out. Rinse with water. Done.

As far as cleaning it, I would rather clean 6 squirrels than 1 rabbit. A rabbit is the worst smell of any animal I clean. Especially if the bowels or stomach gets punctured which they usually do when shotgun hunting.

jjsobba
02-10-2010, 06:57
Recipes...

If it is a young squirrel, cook it anyway you want. If it is an old squirrel, it will be tough so stew it.

To clean it, start at the back legs, make your cuts through the skin. Have a friend hold it upside down and you pull the skin off inside out down over its head. Cut the head off and no fur on the meat. Cut the body cavity open without puncturing the digestive tract and reach in and pull it out. Rinse with water. Done.

As far as cleaning it, I would rather clean 6 squirrels than 1 rabbit. A rabbit is the worst smell of any animal I clean. Especially if the bowels or stomach gets punctured which they usually do when shotgun hunting.

I would have to agree 100% about cleaning the rabbits. I guess I cleaned way too many when I was younger. (that all we could find while hunting) As for cooking squirrels my dad would always just put them in a crock pot with onions, peppers, carrots and anything that looked good at the time. It always tasted good. Good luck!

Glockster_221
02-10-2010, 08:56
I would have to agree 100% about cleaning the rabbits. I guess I cleaned way too many when I was younger. (that all we could find while hunting) As for cooking squirrels my dad would always just put them in a crock pot with onions, peppers, carrots and anything that looked good at the time. It always tasted good. Good luck!

Lucky for me, we have a crock pot. :)

Adjuster
02-11-2010, 14:44
I don't think that pellet gun will do it. Go get yourself a pellet rifle that will do at least 1200fps. They also make special hunting pellets that you will need. The gun can be had at WalMart for less than $150.00.