Spyderco Tenacious or Sog Flash I [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Tenacious or Sog Flash I

Orion's Belt
02-09-2010, 09:10
For a long time, I have carried a Smith and Wesson Baby Swat with the skeletonized handle and blackened blade. Don't laugh, it has been a great EDC knife for about 7 years and has been very durable.

Lately, I have been itching for a new knife. I recently bought a Kershaw Skyline, which is a great knife for EDC tasks. But, I have found a place to get knives pretty cheap and the Spyderco Tenacious/Persistence anf Sog Flash I have been on my list for quite some time.

I want to know what you would choose for your choice of EDC blade. I myself have been leaning towards the Tenacious because of the slightly larger size which could double as a tactical folder if need be. I'm not saying the Sog can't be used in an emergency defensive situation, but the small blade is going to restrict it in this role. But, the Sog is so light that it would be a dream to carry.

lwt210
02-11-2010, 18:34
I have many many knives.

I have been blown away by the fit and finish of my Tenacious. And I usually only buy USA made blades. When I saw "China" on the blade of the Tenacious, I almost wrote it off.

But I took a chance.....and am so glad I did. Mine is a plain edge version and I keep it spooky sharp.

The blade lockup when open is the most solid of all my folders and I have Benchmades and Emersons. The Emersons are the only ones that compare to the lockup of the Tenacious.

I can't say anything about the SOG as I have no experience with it.

Richard Simmons
02-12-2010, 07:20
I've got a Tenacious in my pocket today as my EDC and for the price I don't think you can beat it.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spydercotenacious-plaincomboorserratededge.aspx

The Persistence is another one in this price point that I carry from time to time. Though slightly smaller it's also a great value.

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spydercopersistencec136gpnew.aspx

Orion's Belt
02-14-2010, 10:10
I have many many knives.

I have been blown away by the fit and finish of my Tenacious. And I usually only buy USA made blades. When I saw "China" on the blade of the Tenacious, I almost wrote it off.

But I took a chance.....and am so glad I did. Mine is a plain edge version and I keep it spooky sharp.

The blade lockup when open is the most solid of all my folders and I have Benchmades and Emersons. The Emersons are the only ones that compare to the lockup of the Tenacious.

I can't say anything about the SOG as I have no experience with it.

How is the steel on the Tenacious and Persistence? I'm kinda skeptical about the 8CR13MoV.

TexasNativeDRJH
02-14-2010, 16:14
I love my Tenacious and use for work and it sees heavy duty use. My only compaint is that the backspacer screws are cheap and soft and strip out easily when you tr to do a detail cleaning.

Orion's Belt
02-14-2010, 17:29
I think I'm going to go with a Persistence instead of a Tenacious. A bit smaller and I have heard better things about it in terms of lock-up and in-handle blade retention.

Orion's Belt
02-14-2010, 20:54
I think I'm counting out the SOG in this debate for now. I will get one, just not this time 'round. I will however be adding in the Ontario RAT-1 folder.

How do the RAT-1 an Tenacious compare to each other? The blade steels seem pretty similar, the Tenacious has an edge (no pun intended) in handle material in my opinion because of the G10 scales.

Does anyone have both knives that could compare and contrast?

TheLastDaze
02-16-2010, 21:42
Lately, I have been itching for a new knife. I recently bought a Kershaw Skyline, which is a great knife for EDC tasks. But, I have found a place to get knives pretty cheap and the Spyderco Tenacious/Persistence anf Sog Flash I have been on my list for quite some time.

I want to know what you would choose for your choice of EDC blade.

I've been carrying my Skyline for about 3 months now.. I love that knife.. perfect size and the weight is outta sight and is within budget.

good choice edc for sure..

TheLastDaze
02-16-2010, 21:45
I think I'm going to go with a Persistence instead of a Tenacious. A bit smaller and I have heard better things about it in terms of lock-up and in-handle blade retention.

yep I went with the persistence instead of the tenacious, I think they came out with its little brother because the feed back was 'if it were a little smaller it'd be perfect'...

just my thoughts..

dude, RAT/ESEE knives are out of sight, no nonsense warranty.. I just picked up an Izula and man this knife is great..

dberry
02-17-2010, 03:04
Between those two the Tenacious is my pick. The SOG Flash II is great also. The Flash I was a little too small for me.

theghostrider
02-19-2010, 20:27
How is the steel on the Tenacious and Persistence? I'm kinda skeptical about the 8CR13MoV.

I've been carrying a byrd Crossbill for several years. I used to be a steel snob, and would only carry Spyderco VG-10 (or anything by Moki (sp?)), but the 8Cr113MoV is good steel. They tested the byrd Cara Cara at 61 HRC, and it holds an edge well and can be either toothy or polished depending on how you want to finish it.

They say it is comparable to AUS-8, and I don't know about that but the make up seems to be close. However, it's very hard, and seems to perform well enough. I do think it holds an edge better than the AUS-8 knives I've used in the past, but then again it's pretty hard also.

plow78
02-20-2010, 11:09
I have the tenacious, Mantix and Native

My favvorite and EDC(in my pocket now) is the Tenacious. I like the tip down clip carry much better than the tip up carry. I love the fit and feel of the tenacious a bit more lite than the mantix and the $ is UNBEATABLE

Orion's Belt
02-21-2010, 12:29
I've decided to grab a Persistence, should be here soon.

camdz
02-24-2010, 19:15
I purchased the persistence immediately after reading this thread. I had a tenacious when it first came out, and ended up flipping it because it was too large. I had been out of the knife "game" for a while, in hopes of saving some money, and knew nothing about its little brother!

I received the knife 3-4 days ago and love it. I also purchased a Spyderco Kiwi, so I will go ahead and blame that on this thread as well :embarassed:

joeface
02-24-2010, 19:33
I am currently carrying the Flash II. I love it and so does anyone else that gets their hands on it.

deitz
02-24-2010, 20:02
I have kinda of gotten the spyderco bug

I dont have a tenacious but i have the Manix 2 and Stretch with the exotic ZDP-189 steel.

with the tenacious in the $25 range that's a no brainer

spydercos are great

Orion's Belt
02-25-2010, 10:54
I got a Persistence on it's way. The only logical thing for me to do now is to get a SOG next. :tongueout:

Bilbo Bagins
02-25-2010, 11:08
Nutnfancy on the Tenacious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TsuIuAYVJI

on the Sog Flash I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJxY7YFBTA&feature=PlayList&p=08D16BDF2E930BF8&index=0&playnext=1[/URL]

And Flash II
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK8rmMs4ri4&feature=PlayList&p=5C1EDF317228DD05&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TsuIuAYVJI)