AIMPOINT COMPM3 or COMPM4s? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AIMPOINT COMPM3 or COMPM4s?

DarkBlade1000RR
02-09-2010, 12:59
Trying to decide on which one to go w/for my Les Baer AR-15 Police tact rifle.....other than what I've already read on Aimpoints web site.....does anyone have any opinions/suggestions to which one I should go with and why? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Wild Gene
02-09-2010, 17:25
If you aren't going to use night vision, go with the Comp ML3.

The AA batteries is a neat deal with the 4, but with something like 5 years of constantly on battery life, I could live with the 3.

If you don't mind the 4 MOA dot, those Micro's are really cool. I went with the ML3 because I wanted the 2MOA dot.

HAIL CAESAR
02-09-2010, 17:38
Get the M3 unless you have NV.

phxfa
02-09-2010, 17:58
I like the lo-pro battery compartment, AA battery and the built in mount on the M4s

ronin.45
02-09-2010, 21:43
I have two ML3's. I like the M4's but for the money difference I will stick with the ML3's.

kgain673
02-10-2010, 01:32
ML2 are nice too, if you only want something a little over a year of constant battery life

DarkBlade1000RR
02-10-2010, 06:56
..thanks for the replies guys!
I was informed that "the only drawback to the M4S is if I add a magnifier, depending on what mount I use, the magnifier mount might block the brightness knob."
I might just go w/ the COMP M3 as having NV would be nice to have...just in the off chance I might need it.....you know the old saying..."better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"....or something like that...lol!

So I may just end up w/ the COMPM3 then.......keep the comments coming guys! Thanks!

kabob983
02-10-2010, 07:02
Seriously, if you're budget can handle a M4s I'd look at the T-1 Micro. Weight rules all in AR-15's and that thing + a LaRue mount weight less than my ML2 mount by itself. It's got all the features of the full size Aimpoints but it's tiny.

DarkBlade1000RR
02-10-2010, 07:40
Seriously, if you're budget can handle a M4s I'd look at the T-1 Micro. Weight rules all in AR-15's and that thing + a LaRue mount weight less than my ML2 mount by itself. It's got all the features of the full size Aimpoints but it's tiny.

hmmmm.....never really considered this model before......can be had for the same exact price as the COMPM4s but smaller profile.....do you have this one on your rifle?

phxfa
02-10-2010, 09:59
..thanks for the replies guys!
I was informed that "the only drawback to the M4S is if I add a magnifier, depending on what mount I use, the magnifier mount might block the brightness knob."
I might just go w/ the COMP M3 as having NV would be nice to have...just in the off chance I might need it.....you know the old saying..."better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"....or something like that...lol!

So I may just end up w/ the COMPM3 then.......keep the comments coming guys! Thanks!
You can go with the M4, the battery mount is high/right on that model if your concerned about interferance, I also have the T-1 and that a pretty slick optic too, I run that on my SBR's

kabob983
02-10-2010, 10:23
hmmmm.....never really considered this model before......can be had for the same exact price as the COMPM4s but smaller profile.....do you have this one on your rifle?

If I could afford one I'd trade my CompML2 in for one in a heartbeat. I've yet to talk to anyone who's used it who hasn't loved it. Heck, Kyle Lamb dumped his EOTech for one.

You can often find it + a LaRue tall mount package deal for a good price, check around.

Wild Gene
02-10-2010, 12:16
the little guys only come in the 4MOA dot. If that's good for you, that wouldn't work for me, I would really look at the Micro's.

KalashniKEV
02-10-2010, 12:30
Heck, Kyle Lamb dumped his EOTech for one.

OT: KalashniKEV dumped his Aimpoint for an EOTech...

:wavey:

kabob983
02-10-2010, 13:35
OT: KalashniKEV dumped his Aimpoint for an EOTech...

:wavey:

But was it micro? :tongueout:

KalashniKEV
02-10-2010, 13:59
But was it micro? :tongueout:

Micro sucks for AR... if you're going to have all that mount it might as well be usable optic. It does really shine in a few applications where it's compactness can be exploited though...

The first time I saw the LaRue Skyscraper I was like, "Whooooa!!! That's a lotta MOUNT!"

It's unbelievable to me that that setup has caught on the way it has, but I think it's mostly among the newest/bestest crowd than professionals.*

I should say "Professional Users" and not "Industry Professionals."

kabob983
02-10-2010, 14:36
Don't get me wrong, the mount is ugly, but I fail to see how it's "less" optic than anything else? It has more mount because the whole thing is so durn small and yet it's every bit as rugged as the full size Aimpoints. With both eyes open the sight picture is going to be identical to the larger Aimpoints and once again, for most people less weight = good (unless you're trying to build upper body strength by getting your AR as heavy as possible...).

As for catching on with the newer shooters...I think it's catching on with pretty much everyone, seasoned professionals, industry professionals, etc. I think most newer shooters would shy away because, as you mentioned, it LOOKS funny, but function is top notch.

DarkBlade1000RR
02-12-2010, 05:20
well I decided on the COMP M3 w/ the Bobro cantilever mount 1/3 cowittness...a big thanks to Marshall @ Primary Arms for a great deal :wow: on this package!! :woohoo:

Tomac
02-12-2010, 05:45
The M4S gets the nod from me (M4 is even better if you're using a magnifier). Switch is physically disconnected from the knob to improve ruggedness. W/E caps are stronger and more protective. It can use *any* AA-sized battery regardless of voltage due to a built-in voltage regulator. Comes w/a killflash and decent QD mount w/detachable riser.
Tomac

MisterPX
02-12-2010, 10:46
I'd go M3. $200 buys a lot of 1/3N's.

DarkBlade1000RR
02-12-2010, 12:58

Done deal sir...I'll try to post some pics when it's all installed on the Les baer.....

Tomac
02-12-2010, 17:48

True, but you can use rechargeable AA's in the M4/M4S, haven't found any rechargeable 1/3N's yet... :dunno:
Tomac

BlackPaladin
02-12-2010, 18:22
I have an M4 (non S) that I would consider trading for a micro. I love mine, but just to try something different.

Wild Gene
02-12-2010, 18:42
You won't regret your decision, if you wanted a full size model.

WG

DarkBlade1000RR
02-12-2010, 20:45
You won't regret your decision, if you wanted a full size model.

WG

yes...I wanted a full size model as I like the aesthetics better than the micro versions......again got a great deal through Primary Arms ...awesome products and great customer service!

kgain673
02-13-2010, 12:26
200 buck buys you all the ammo you need to sight in the Aimpoint, plus some extra.

bjesse60
02-13-2010, 14:38
The M4S gets the nod from me (M4 is even better if you're using a magnifier). Switch is physically disconnected from the knob to improve ruggedness. W/E caps are stronger and more protective. It can use *any* AA-sized battery regardless of voltage due to a built-in voltage regulator. Comes w/a killflash and decent QD mount w/detachable riser.
Tomac

This, if buget allows it. :cool: