FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU- I just inadvertently bought lead 10mm for my G29. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU- I just inadvertently bought lead 10mm for my G29.

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
02-09-2010, 16:14
There is one store in a tri-county area that had one box of 10mm ammo. I asked what it was, and I was told FMJ. When I got that, the guy is closing the store. I tell him I called about the 10mm ammo so he opens back up, goes inside and rings me up. I get home only to realize that the american eagle 180gr I thought was FMJ is in fact lead.

Yay, now I have 50 rounds of 10mm ammo I can't shoot.

:crying:

LoadedTech
02-09-2010, 16:29
If its only 50 rounds you'll be ok. just clean your barrel when your done. And save your brass.

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
02-09-2010, 19:26
I made a point never to shoot lead in any of my glocks.. I've heard there's some people that do it.. I suppose if I cleaned it very well it could be ok, but I'm paranoid!

I'll have to dig up some old threads here on GT on the subject.

PATRICE
02-09-2010, 19:34

leadslinger13
02-09-2010, 19:59
Hhmmm...I've never seen/heard that AE produces any non-FMJ 10mm cartridges. I don't have any problems with the lead in a conversion barrel with traditional rifling, but I'm wondering if someone stuck some reloads in the 180gr FMJ box???--Patrice:dunno:

i am with you. Never have seen anything but fmj...

http://www.aeagle1.com/

ashtxsniper
02-09-2010, 20:06
I am pretty sure you bought some reloads.

Chizzy
02-09-2010, 20:33
I can attest to the fact that American Eagle does / did indeed make 10mm Auto ammunition in a 180 grain lead bullet configuration.

I just had a friend pick me up 8 boxes of the stuff for $17.50 Canadian / box from an army surplus store. :supergrin:

The boxes are old and faded. The only date that I can find on the box is a copyright symbol from 1991. I hope that this stuff will still go boom.

Regards,

Chizzy

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
02-09-2010, 23:39
I can attest to the fact that American Eagle does / did indeed make 10mm Auto ammunition in a 180 grain lead bullet configuration.

I just had a friend pick me up 8 boxes of the stuff for $17.50 Canadian / box from an army surplus store. :supergrin:

The boxes are old and faded. The only date that I can find on the box is a copyright symbol from 1991. I hope that this stuff will still go boom.

Regards,

Chizzy

yeah, it has a copyright 1991 on it. Must be old crap.

Here's a picture of it, excuse the fuzziness, my new cell phone doesn't have the auto focus my old one did, rendering it basically useless for all intensive purposes.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb141/TheColdTruth/0209002234.jpg

No. AE 10 below the lead bullet 180gr part.

weiserthanu
02-10-2010, 02:04
I actually have three boxes of the same crap. Bought it from the dealer when I got my G20. It was all the 10mm ammo he had but I haven't had the guts to shoot it either. Guess I'll just keep it on hand just in case.

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
02-10-2010, 03:09
I actually have three boxes of the same crap. Bought it from the dealer when I got my G20. It was all the 10mm ammo he had but I haven't had the guts to shoot it either. Guess I'll just keep it on hand just in case.

Just curious, how much did you pay? I'm positive I overpaid for these (thinking they were FMJ).

I'm holding onto it for now because it's the only 10mm I have. I'd rather have some than none in some weird situation where I'd actually need the gun loaded even though I have like 5 more loaded guns laying around. Yay for paranoia.

weiserthanu
02-10-2010, 09:23
Just curious, how much did you pay? I'm positive I overpaid for these (thinking they were FMJ).

I'm holding onto it for now because it's the only 10mm I have. I'd rather have some than none in some weird situation where I'd actually need the gun loaded even though I have like 5 more loaded guns laying around. Yay for paranoia.

$23.99/50 rd. box.

Myself
02-10-2010, 13:00
My feeble old memory says the Federal 180 gr. lead bullet was a high antimony alloy. If that is indeed the case it will be harder than plain lead and not overly subject to the leading problem that mucks up Glock factory rifling.

I would not be afraid to shoot it in small batches if you clean well afterward. After market barrels should be fine.

LEAD
02-10-2010, 13:06
If I was you, I'd shoot a mag full either by themselves or at the end of a range session, then clean before shooting more. I say only a mag full so you are very unlikely to get any consequences of the leading. You must find a solvent that will work good at lifting the lead.

slims00ls1z28
02-10-2010, 13:41
Is 10mm that hard to find? I went to bass pro this morning to grab some. They had several boxes of remington FMJ at 26$ a box (50). No one locally (even the gun shops) carry much for defensive loads but Bass Pro had several of those and so does one other gun shop locally. I'm going to clean them out next time I get a chance then.

leadslinger13
02-10-2010, 15:28
Hey i have a great idea. I have an aftermarket barrel for my 20 so i can shoot lead. I would be more than happy to have you all send me those pesky lead rounds and i promise to dispose of them in a properly. I won't even charge a disposal fee. LOL

hill billy
02-10-2010, 15:41
Shoot them. Your barrel will be fine.

Chizzy
02-10-2010, 16:27
Hey i have a great idea. I have an aftermarket barrel for my 20 so i can shoot lead. I would be more than happy to have you all send me those pesky lead rounds and i promise to dispose of them in a properly. I won't even charge a disposal fee. LOL

I also have an after market barrel for my G20SF as well as a S&W 610 and a Dan Wesson C.B.O.B. I think I should be able to safely dispose of them without any ill effects. Thank you for your kind offer. :cool:

Regards,

Chizzy

telecster
02-10-2010, 16:52
tell me where it says not to shoot lead. I have a new G20 and have gone through all the materal, nothing on lead. The only thing is on reloads. Everything I have read also states lead starts to deposit after 1100-1250 fps.

Rob Oertel
02-10-2010, 17:07
I had about six boxes of the AE lead 10mm and shot it all without any problem through my G20. I am one of those that cleans after every range session. Also found that ammo to be very smokey and dirty.

FuerGrissaOstDrauka
02-12-2010, 15:32
Update: took the ammo back today and used the refund money to pay for my next FFL transfer; a third gen G20 I'm trading for a third gen factory refurb g17!

Also, I found a store by my parents that has 6 boxes of 10mm AE FMJ (I made sure to have them double check), so my dad's gonna swing by and buy 'em out of stock for me.

All is well!

leadslinger13
02-12-2010, 17:20
tell me where it says not to shoot lead. I have a new G20 and have gone through all the materal, nothing on lead. The only thing is on reloads. Everything I have read also states lead starts to deposit after 1100-1250 fps.

the problem with glock barrels and leading is glock polygonal rifling allows lead to build up quickly and can cause over pressure which can lead to the infamous ka boom. Not all lead is the same.

here is a little bit of info to start: http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=Glock_FAQ_Reloading

MSgt Dotson
02-13-2010, 09:10
You must find a solvent that will work good at lifting the lead.

50% vinegar/50% hydrogen peroxide....it will be gone and easy to clean in 2 minute soak!

Retired Squid
02-14-2010, 09:19
Man you guys and your lead fears, I've been shooting lead in my Glocks for years and the last G-29 only had one or two magazines of jacked fired through the gun. My current G29 has about 500 rounds fired and just 30 JHP rounds fired, all hard cast lead and not swedged crap from Hornady.

Now if it was reloaded ammo that's a different story if you have no idea of the type of lead used. I reload and just loaded a bunch of hard cast for use in G-29 & 610's I have if weather ever clears.

bush pilot
02-14-2010, 23:04
Hard cast bullets in a Glock are fine, just clean the gun now and then.

CanyonMan
02-22-2010, 16:48
I have shot tons of lead throught the FB in my G20. I do suggest that folks clean the barrel about every 40/50 rds though. I load my own, and use a BHN (hardness) on 20/21 in the lead I shoot. Way to many paranoid folks out there when it comes to lead. Yes lead build up can raise pressures like crazy. This is why I strongly suggest cleaning every 40/50 rounds "even with" a 20/21 bhn hardness.

I shot tons of lead through one of my G20's a few years ago without cleaning it and then fired 'just one' factory JHP through it next cause I was outta lead. Below is the result. Now let me say this. We do believe it was a over charged case, and the ammo factory even replaced my gun free. Although I've been reloading for over 40 years for about everything you can imagine and am very careful, I don't know to this day if it was the lead build up or the factory round. It could have happend with the next cast lead round I would have fired if I had had another one. I will never know. But I do know it is very wise, (no matter how long you've done this and got away with it), to clean the FB every 40/50 rds or sooner really.

Afraid of them ? No way ! Just keep it clean folks.

Good shooting.

CanyonMan

Retired Squid
02-22-2010, 18:15
I used to do every 100 rounds, but never shot jacketed until after cleaning and inspection, unless 20 rounds or less. That was with hard cast I loaded, if factory loaded lead or swegged lead like Hornady then would not shoot jacked until cleaned and inspected and max 50 rounds before cleaning, be it G-29 or 610. In recent years about 50 rounds is all I shoot, at 65 the old arthritis is a problem.

My S&W 610's I can sit and shoot 100 rounds no problem, that 6.5" barrel N frame with slow (1100fps) lead is like shooting my 22 revolver almost.

CanyonMan
02-22-2010, 19:04
:wow:I used to do every 100 rounds, but never shot jacketed until after cleaning and inspection, unless 20 rounds or less. That was with hard cast I loaded, if factory loaded lead or swegged lead like Hornady then would not shoot jacked until cleaned and inspected and max 50 rounds before cleaning, be it G-29 or 610. In recent years about 50 rounds is all I shoot, at 65 the old arthritis is a problem.

My S&W 610's I can sit and shoot 100 rounds no problem, that 6.5" barrel N frame with slow (1100fps) lead is like shooting my 22 revolver almost.

I hear ya on all counts pretty much. :fred: ha

In my own reloads I use a Cast Performance HC bullet @ 20/21 BHN in the G20and in all my Ruger big bore hog legs as well. Like you, I never fire jacketed stuff through the barrel after a session of lead, BUT, I did the day she blew!

Some folks think that shooting jacketed bullets through your barrel 'after lead bullets,' will "clean out the barrel..." NOT SO ! As I am sure 'you know' amigo. That is a really a bad practice and only helps to 'press' the lead down further into the lands/grooves, and can still aid in rising pressures... :wow:

I have had some extremely good accuracy even out to 100yds enough to take deer, and out to 300/400 yds when we "play in the canyons' shooting atrocks and other targerts. The HC bullets I load are at any where from 1150/1300fps, and as I said at 20/21 bhn. I really have not had any real fowling problems, except for the "maybe Kaboom deal." Again, we do believe that was from an overcharged factory round, and not the cause of the previous 'lead shooting.' BUT, who knows. The lead build up 'may' have caused it. That is why like you, i suggest a good swabbing out of the barrel every 30/40/50. The trouble taken to do this, may be worth it.... ;)

Good shooting bud.
Stay safe !

CanyonMan

Retired Squid
02-22-2010, 19:23
My one wish is for a Marlin 1894 in 10 mm, but I doubt I would ever see that if I live 3 life times. :crying:

It is amazing how people panic at the use of lead in Glocks, but may have a rim-fire at home with same type of rifling with lots of lead fired out the tube and never gives it another thought. I had two over the years and I got rid of both for some stupid reason, never any lead build up and they never shot even plated ammo.

Anyway hang tough hope the weather is not like this weather cold/cool and damp for any joy in the woods or range for us old farts.

CanyonMan
02-22-2010, 19:37
My one wish is for a Marlin 1894 in 10 mm, but I doubt I would ever see that if I live 3 life times. :crying:

It is amazing how people panic at the use of lead in Glocks, but may have a rim-fire at home with same type of rifling with lots of lead fired out the tube and never gives it another thought. I had two over the years and I got rid of both for some stupid reason, never any lead build up and they never shot even plated ammo.

Anyway hang tough hope the weather is not like this weather cold/cool and damp for any joy in the woods or range for us old farts.

The 10mm in a Marlin lever ! Huumm Interesting Idea. I hope they are listening in. ;)

As far the weather. Got snow headed for the ranch as we speak ! We need all the moisture out here we can get though, so we'll take it. ha.

Stay warm amigo.

CanyonMan

Master T
02-22-2010, 19:41
Don't shoot it. Take it to a gunshow and pawn it off on somebody!

Retired Squid
02-22-2010, 19:41
As far the weather. Got snow headed for the ranch as we speak ! We need all the moisture out here we can get though, so we'll take it. ha.

Stay warm amigo.

CanyonManWill do, thanks. You do the same.