Recoil spring bent slightly. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil spring bent slightly.

Rocken
02-09-2010, 16:43
I have a 1911 Commander series 70. While putting it back together I must have missed the barrel guide hole with the pin and assembled it the whole way like that. When I went to rack the slide back to function test I bent the recoil spring slightly. If I roll the spring on the top of a flat object it wobbles a bit. Now the question. Will the gun function with this spring bent? I will order a new one in the next few days, but how much faith should I have in it to deliver a second shot? Has anyone else messed up their spring and tried it out after? I won't put my life on the line because I don't trust it that much. I will put a backup in service. Just wanted to know what to expect.

HAIL CAESAR
02-09-2010, 17:37
I'd throw it in the trash. It is a 5 buck item.

Would it function..probably yes.

Brucev
02-09-2010, 18:15
Install the bent OEM spring and order a new one. When the new one arrives, install it and dump the old one. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

Rocken
02-10-2010, 07:35
Ordered spring last night. But you know I'll have to run a few mags thru it to see how it functions before I change out the spring. Then I'll have to run a few mags thru it to make sure the new spring is trustworthy. And then a few more mags for fun, and then a few more mags for..... I think you get the picture.

ambluemax
02-10-2010, 08:43
What do you think happens to that spring when its compressed every time the slide cycles? The whole premis of the guide rod is to keep the spring from bending all over the place in hopes it would last longer, many consider guide rods unnecessary though. IMO, unless it gives you problems put a 1000rds on it and swap it as per normal maintence.

Rocken
02-20-2010, 13:16
Follow up;

Shot well with bent spring. Installed HD Wilson Combat spring. Also shot well. It is different, not better, not worst,,,, just different. Left the HD spring in. Shot 100 or so rounds, everything from FMJ to Federal JHPs. Had to get that warm and fuzzy feeling about the change. All good.
Oh and I bought a few McCorrmick Power Mags, I really like them. Seem to jump in the mag well.