Best Gun Shop in Alabama? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Gun Shop in Alabama?

HauntedAlabama
02-09-2010, 20:26
I was just curious who everyone likes? I grew up going to Simmons with my dad so it is one of my favorites. They have good prices and are good people to deal with. I like the selection at Southeastern Guns, but the customer service is hit or miss. The Gun Cellar is fun to visit, but I have not bought a gun from them in years. Woods-n-Water has a big selection but they are expensive. What about ya'll, where do you shop and why? Thanks.

Willard
02-09-2010, 22:29
Larry's Pistol and Pawn, in Huntsville is legendary. (in a good way)

HauntedAlabama
02-09-2010, 22:45
Larry's Pistol and Pawn, in Huntsville is legendary. (in a good way)

I went in there a couple years back when I was in a bowling tourney. It was raining, cold, and right before Christmas so it was packed out. I have never seen so many people in a gun shop at one time. I actually bought a used Glock from him, we were going to shoot at the range and I asked if he had what I was looking for. He had someone get it, I checked it out, bought it and took it back to shoot it. The range guys were really helpful with my wife, she won't listen to me but she did them and her shooting improved from what they told her. I need to get back up there to check them out so I can actually see what they have, we really could not look because of the number of folks there.

glockkramer
02-12-2010, 22:27
B&B Pawn in Gadsden. Super customer service, huge selection and fair prices.

FM12
02-13-2010, 00:20
Larry's,NMemorial PKWY, Huntsville: A gun show every day!

kp110477
02-13-2010, 00:49
I'm NOT a fan of Gold Mine Pawn Shop in ... Fairhope.... I believe. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. However, Styx River Shooting Center is good (near Malbis), on the Mobile Side there's a "Steve's Gun Shop" and I've always gotten great advice etc. from them. I hate going to Bass Pro to shop/research: despite the fact that I'm just starting out in the competitive shooting world, I still know WAY more about Skeet guns and semi-auto pistols than most of their staff (there are some exceptions).

zukyota
02-13-2010, 11:25
I've been to Larry's in H'ville, great shop. I go to B&B pretty regular, great shop. DO NOT GO TO SHOTGUN SUPPLY IN SAK'S. I have a post in here telling about my experience with them. Sportsman's exchange in Gadsden was a good shop at one time, but they have gone downhill recently. I have heard alot about Hoover tactical but i havent gotten down there yet.

HauntedAlabama
02-13-2010, 23:40
I went up to Bham today to look for my wife a new carry piece. We ended up getting her new gun at Hoover Tactical Guns. She has been in all the gun shops I go to and she really liked this one. The staff was very friendly and it was a laid back place with a large selection of carry guns, self defense weapons, etc. I would say give these guys a shot if you are in the area or passing through. The prices were pretty good too.

Rohniss
02-14-2010, 06:57
I like SE, no LE discount kinda sucks, but I go to Gulf-States (Montgomery) and One-Stop (Jasper) if I was buying anything worth the trouble to get the discount.

Never went anywhere else for regular purchases... Known Mike (the owner of SE) since forever it seems... Known everyone else there for 4 years or so... got to the point where if they are busy I just get someone's keys and get what I want and do my own 4473 and wait on someone to ring me up...

Cobra6
02-15-2010, 17:20
So what about One Stop Pawn in Jasper?
I was thinking about a trip down there since they are an authorized Glock dealer and give you the LEO/military discount.

A road trip to Gulf States is an all-day road round trip from Huntsville, but it is not too far to Jasper.

Kingfisher
02-16-2010, 21:35
So what about One Stop Pawn in Jasper?
I was thinking about a trip down there since they are an authorized Glock dealer and give you the LEO/military discount.

A road trip to Gulf States is an all-day road round trip from Huntsville, but it is not too far to Jasper.

One stop in Jasper is good and the discount is there. Hudson Pawn in Jasper also has great prices on Glocks and a decent selection of everything else.

Simmons in Bessemer has had the best prices on Black Guns close to me in Jasper the past couple of years. Bought a Bushmaster and M&P there this past year, got both rifles for about 1700.00.

+1 for Hoover Tactical, been there 3 times in the past 2 months and left 300 with them on rifle accessories. Great selection and knowledgeable people. If they don't have it they can get it, as well as Simmons.

elrod
02-17-2010, 14:40
Got to stay with Gulf States in Montgomery. (Only draw back is 10% sales tax) Fair prices, good all-around stock, and personal notification if they are about to sell a large lot of police trade- ins or seizures. Wetumpka Fish & Game is also good for inventory and prices.

Bama tactical
03-15-2010, 12:23
Hoover Tactical Firearms in Hoover, AL is a great shop. I just picked up a G19 from them Friday.

grenadier
03-26-2010, 13:49
My three favorite places:

Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia
Hoover Tactical Firearms
Gun Cellar

All three have good selections, and Mark's has been giving me all sorts of discount certificates in the way of a birthday card each year. :)

odglock17
04-14-2010, 13:08
I like SE Guns in Trussville. Hoover Tactical is owned by an ******* and his employees are rejects from other gun stores around town and their prices are way too high.

kabob983
04-15-2010, 07:40
Hoover Tactical is owned by an ******* and his employees are rejects from other gun stores around town and their prices are way too high.

Wow, a little bitter?

Hoover Tactical is a great place. They're not reject employees, they left the Gun Cellar because they thought the cramped conditions were detrimental to a good shopping atmosphere. I really like the place, employees are good/knowledgable.

Marks Outdoors is also great, I've bought the majority of my pistols/rifles from them.

odglock17
04-19-2010, 12:33
Wow, a little bitter?

Hoover Tactical is a great place. They're not reject employees, they left the Gun Cellar because they thought the cramped conditions were detrimental to a good shopping atmosphere. I really like the place, employees are good/knowledgable.

Marks Outdoors is also great, I've bought the majority of my pistols/rifles from them.

Actually, 2 were fired from different shops and one was about to be.

Regardless, the owner is a jerk and their prices are way too high.

Rohniss
04-19-2010, 19:47
Agreed OD. 900 dollars for a WASR and a case of ammo is a freaking joke, a guy where I work was asking if it was a good deal lol. An example of Hoover Tacticlols deals.

Anyone that's been to Gulf States know if they stock 5906TSWs for LE sales still?

Chris Todd
04-22-2012, 10:13
I HIGHLY recommend Birmingham Pistol Wholesale (BPW) on Hwy 11 in Trussville. Johnny Walker is the owner. I've bought and traded with him for many years and always found him to be honest and his prices competitive. But the MAIN reason I like to do business with him is the fact that he highly values his customers. Many (not all) gun shops around Birmingham are owned and operated by conceited jerks, and they employee conceited jerks, as well. I like feeling like I'm not considered just another "goob" wandering around the store.
Also, BPW has a huge variety of firearms, and if Johnny doesn't have it, he'll do his best to track it down for you.

owl6roll
04-22-2012, 22:23
The Gun Cellar kinda wend down when Tom, retired and then his daughter took over the bisness, now they've mooved to MOODY, Alabama. Tom is actually in a nursing home.

Chris Todd
04-23-2012, 07:33
The Gun Cellar kinda wend down when Tom, retired and then his daughter took over the bisness, now they've mooved to MOODY, Alabama. Tom is actually in a nursing home.

It's been quite a while since I've shopped at The Gun Cellar. Didn't realize they had relocated to Moody. They were in Riverchase for MANY years.
The last time I was in there, it seemed to have gone down quite a bit. I decided then that I wasn't going to do business there any more.
I really hate to hear that about Tom. It seems it had been a while since I'd seen him in there.

cowboywannabe
05-04-2012, 09:08
when im in the area i stop by GSD but their selection is limited in my opinion.

not really been impressed with any gun shops in mid east alabama auburn area....

FireForged
06-23-2012, 09:52
Hoover Tactical (Birmingham)

As a guy once said to me: Dude! its a gun shop the size of a Kroger!!!!.... It even has gear, clothing, a shooting range and a DELI!!

I did visit a few weeks ago and it is the largest gunshop I have ever seen. I think it was actually a Bruno's Grocery that was converted. Its set up very well (linear), has polite approachable staff, and a nice deli. Most other gunshops could fit inside their knife display area hahahaha! I dont really care for indoor shooting ranges but yep, they have one.

Overall this is easily the koolest gunshop I have visited with the nicest staff. If I had to be super critical I would say that

1. more than once I got the "I dont know too much about those", in response to a question about a firearm that they had displayed. (easy fix)

2. I dont think I would have put the deli and the shooting range on the same end of the building. People have to lug all their gear through the deli to get to the outer door of the range. Lets just say that with all the comotion and clatter, I felt hurried to eat my meal and move along. (maybe I am old)

FireForged
06-23-2012, 10:10
All I can say about Hoover Tac prices is that when I was there they had AK Underfolders for around $500 and ammo was "average". The 2 pistols that I went there to find were cheaper by about $80ea as compared to 3 other gunshop I had already shopped. The pistol that I really wanted was the Smith Wesson shield but they didnt have any... I will go back as soon as they do.

G21FAN
06-23-2012, 11:17
Where is Woods and Water?

I second Simmon's in Bessemer.

I havent been in Hoover Tactical sinse they opened the big one in the Old Bruno's.

Mudshark100
06-23-2012, 16:41
Where is Woods and Water?

Tuscaloosa

uaengineer
06-26-2012, 00:04
Woods and Water isn't my favorite place for guns. Really the whole store is overpriced since its where every frat boy in town spends dad's money on whatever to justify their Ducks Unlimited decal. Haha, I'm being harsh, I know so I apologize. I did buy a gun from them a few years back that was hard to find anywhere at the time and paid a premium price compared to what it's worth today. The great ammo shortage of 2009 yielded some outrageous ammo prices from there also. It's an ok place, but it's a short drive to Academy also.

I haven't had too great of an experience at Hoover Tactical, but I doubt I'll buy from there or use the range. The range rules changed weekly several months ago and went from renting guns to not renting guns, and I don't know if all the employees were given the same info. The google reviews for this place are kinda harsh lately, but I will say that the couple different guys I dealt with while I was browsing were pretty nice. One even offered to let me shoot his personal gun on the range if he had had it with him that day since they took away the rentals (don't know if they rent now or not since it's been couple months since going in there). I will say that a couple guys in there didn't seem too knowledgable about different guns or calibers (while open carrying with the rest of the employees) but they were friendly. YMMV and don't want to be too critical of any store or dealer so just try them all out yourself.

FireForged
06-28-2012, 15:35
Woods and Water isn't my favorite place for guns. Really the whole store is overpriced since its where every frat boy in town spends dad's money on whatever to justify their Ducks Unlimited decal. Haha, I'm being harsh, I know so I apologize. I did buy a gun from them a few years back that was hard to find anywhere at the time and paid a premium price compared to what it's worth today. The great ammo shortage of 2009 yielded some outrageous ammo prices from there also. It's an ok place, but it's a short drive to Academy also.

I haven't had too great of an experience at Hoover Tactical, but I doubt I'll buy from there or use the range. The range rules changed weekly several months ago and went from renting guns to not renting guns, and I don't know if all the employees were given the same info. The google reviews for this place are kinda harsh lately, but I will say that the couple different guys I dealt with while I was browsing were pretty nice. One even offered to let me shoot his personal gun on the range if he had had it with him that day since they took away the rentals (don't know if they rent now or not since it's been couple months since going in there). I will say that a couple guys in there didn't seem too knowledgable about different guns or calibers (while open carrying with the rest of the employees) but they were friendly. YMMV and don't want to be too critical of any store or dealer so just try them all out yourself.

I agree that the guys at hoover do not seem "Real" knowledgable but the prices are fair to good (depending on the weapon) and they very accomodating. I take the drive to Hoover because the local gun shop guys in my town seem to really dislike customers ( if that makes any sense).

I saved $100 bucks on a pistol I recently bought there but was a little irritated that one sales guys said they didnt have a particular gun and wouldnt for several months while 20 feet away it lay in the display case. The Deli was good though so it all evened out.

Another observation about hoover tactical is that they are not good at answering emails but do answer the phone. fyi

I dont care for indoor ranges to that is not a plus for me. As far as the google reviews, I read a few of those prior to my first trip down there and my feeling was that most of those reviews seem a little overly negitive and after several trips down there I dont find even 50% of those compaints to be vaild ( in my laymans opinion)

KenMac
06-30-2012, 19:39
I like visiting B'han Pistol Wholesale and the guys are friendly, but when I was going to buy my G29sf, they couldn't locate one. After 3 days I went to SE Guns and bought from stock. I don't like the personnel, but I've bought my last 4 pistols from them. Also, tax rate is better at both of these two.

frizz
07-13-2012, 17:45
Mark's Outdoors in Birmingham (Vestavia Hills) is a winner, and has been a good shop for over a decade. They also have great prices on new guns, but I think that they are a tad high on used ones.

On the flip side, the used guns are usually in excellent condition, and usually look new in the display counter.

After they expanded the whole store, the gun section has gotten much better and so crowded.

In Montgomery, The Gun Shoppe is a nice boutique-style store run by Doug. This means that you may pay a premium of up to 10% or so, but you receive solid gold service in return. It's a trade-off.

As a boutique store, the stocked inventory is limited as is the stock of accessories. But he can order anything because he has several distributors that he uses.

Doug is VERY knowledgeable about firearms, and he can take a good bit of time with you and not make you feel rushed.

crazycooter91
12-02-2012, 20:30
Larry's in Huntsville has always done me right and the prices are worth the extra drive considering I live 3 blocks from Millers Gun & Pawn here in Hartselle.

Fear Night
12-09-2012, 16:49
For the Birmingham area ...

- Simmons Sporting Goods is one of my favorite stores. They are also the only place locally to buy reloading primers and powders other than Bass Pro. They expanded their store and it is very nice. Customer service A+

- Hoover Tactical's range is top notch. Probably the best indoor range I have ever shot at. They have a huge selection of "tactical" oriented firearms. The downside, don't expect to find anything for hunting or non-tactical here. Customer service A+

- The Gun Cellar moved to Moody a little over a year ago so they are very close to my house. Their selection isn't huge but they can get me most of what I want within a few days. I pass right by it every day on my way home, so that is a plus. Also the only place I have seen locally that carries BALLISTOL! Best customer service in the area IMO. A+

- Marks Outdoors is good but always busy. I get frustrated trying to see what they have in stock with the crowds. I haven't been there in a while but I have bought a few things in the past. I need to stop by sometime.

- Birmingham Pistol Wholesale has a great selection but I was not impressed with the customer service. I was ready to lay down the cash for a gun in stock but the workers kept chatting with customers that weren't even buying and never acknowledged me. Right when I thought I could grab somebody the phone would ring (this happened twice). I got pissed and took my business elsewhere and got the same gun for the same price.

- Bass Pro has a lot of guns but they are overpriced. If you aren't the only customer at the counter, you won't get any customer service. I don't shop for guns here.

- I have never been to S.E. Guns but plan on it sometime.

Any of the gun shows at the BJCC are worth going to. Incredible selection but you have to be very vigilant on prices. I have seen prices vary on the exact same product $100-200 only a few tables away. There are always a few gems to be found, though. I can't remember the last time I left a show without something I didn't walk in with :supergrin:

Overall, I would rank Simmons as the #1 gun store I have ever been to in Alabama.

phalanxr
12-10-2012, 14:03
Gold Mine Pawn Shop, Daphne Alabama.

Last time I was in there though some new bald guy treated me like ****. I buy several guns every 2 months, and have enough guns if I decided to sell of them could pay off my '12 tacoma...

I was there trying to buy a family member a Spyderco Dragonfly and a Griptillian for my brother and the dude wouldn't give me the time or day.

uaengineer
01-18-2013, 17:33
For the Birmingham area ...

- Simmons Sporting Goods is one of my favorite stores. They are also the only place locally to buy reloading primers and powders other than Bass Pro. They expanded their store and it is very nice. Customer service A+

- Hoover Tactical's range is top notch. Probably the best indoor range I have ever shot at. They have a huge selection of "tactical" oriented firearms. The downside, don't expect to find anything for hunting or non-tactical here. Customer service A+

- The Gun Cellar moved to Moody a little over a year ago so they are very close to my house. Their selection isn't huge but they can get me most of what I want within a few days. I pass right by it every day on my way home, so that is a plus. Also the only place I have seen locally that carries BALLISTOL! Best customer service in the area IMO. A+

- Marks Outdoors is good but always busy. I get frustrated trying to see what they have in stock with the crowds. I haven't been there in a while but I have bought a few things in the past. I need to stop by sometime.

- Birmingham Pistol Wholesale has a great selection but I was not impressed with the customer service. I was ready to lay down the cash for a gun in stock but the workers kept chatting with customers that weren't even buying and never acknowledged me. Right when I thought I could grab somebody the phone would ring (this happened twice). I got pissed and took my business elsewhere and got the same gun for the same price.

- Bass Pro has a lot of guns but they are overpriced. If you aren't the only customer at the counter, you won't get any customer service. I don't shop for guns here.

- I have never been to S.E. Guns but plan on it sometime.

Any of the gun shows at the BJCC are worth going to. Incredible selection but you have to be very vigilant on prices. I have seen prices vary on the exact same product $100-200 only a few tables away. There are always a few gems to be found, though. I can't remember the last time I left a show without something I didn't walk in with :supergrin:

Overall, I would rank Simmons as the #1 gun store I have ever been to in Alabama.

Sad that the Gun Cellar moved. Always thought they were some good guys and good selection/prices.

Really hadn't been in Hoover Tactical in months, but I will say that the week after Sandy Hook in the midst of the buying frenzy and not being able to find any Glock standard capacity mags online, I took a chance on Hoover Tactical and they had a basket full of 17 round mags and even 33 round mags. Also had a box of P-Mags on the floor that they were selling at normal price while most places had theirs sky high. I got a few of the 17 rounders for $26 each. I know their walls were literally bare at the time, and I haven't been back in since so I have no idea what their mag stock/price is now.

I can't go to Mark's unless it's first thing in the morning to avoid the crowd and headache of finding a parking space. I will say since the buying frenzy his ammo stock has been decent and priced no more than what anyone online is selling it for right now, but I haven't been in there in a couple of weeks so who knows now. I did call Mark's recently curious if they ever happened to stock any Mosin Nagants and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I know that may not be their "thing" but I was curious anyway.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a store in the Birmingham area that sells Mosins and the 7.62x54R surplus stuff? I can get one online, but for such a cheap rifle I don't think the extra $50 to ship it and FFL is worth it. Same thing for the ammo, would rather just be able to buy locally if possible.

HauntedAlabama
01-18-2013, 20:26
Speaking of which, does anyone know of a store in the Birmingham area that sells Mosins and the 7.62x54R surplus stuff? I can get one online, but for such a cheap rifle I don't think the extra $50 to ship it and FFL is worth it. Same thing for the ammo, would rather just be able to buy locally if possible.

It is not in Bham but there is a store in Tuscaloosa, Guns and Ammo, that usually has a rack full of Mosins and keeps loose boxes and cans of ammo for them. They are on Greensboro, here is their website http://www.gunsandammollc.com/ . I bought my Glock 30sf there and the owner price matched Hoover Tactical when I told him they had the best price I had found. If you don't mind the drive to T-Town they can hook you up.

uaengineer
01-18-2013, 23:29
It is not in Bham but there is a store in Tuscaloosa, Guns and Ammo, that usually has a rack full of Mosins and keeps loose boxes and cans of ammo for them. They are on Greensboro, here is their website http://www.gunsandammollc.com/ . I bought my Glock 30sf there and the owner price matched Hoover Tactical when I told him they had the best price I had found. If you don't mind the drive to T-Town they can hook you up.

How long have they been there? Lived there several years and never knew about them. I'm curious what their prices are so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.

cowboywannabe
01-19-2013, 00:02
gun shops in my area are so limited or high priced that i have to try to swap guns with regular folks locally to get what i want.

etc1006
01-19-2013, 02:27
I HIGHLY recommend Birmingham Pistol Wholesale (BPW) on Hwy 11 in Trussville. Johnny Walker is the owner. I've bought and traded with him for many years and always found him to be honest and his prices competitive. But the MAIN reason I like to do business with him is the fact that he highly values his customers. Many (not all) gun shops around Birmingham are owned and operated by conceited jerks, and they employee conceited jerks, as well. I like feeling like I'm not considered just another "goob" wandering around the store.
Also, BPW has a huge variety of firearms, and if Johnny doesn't have it, he'll do his best to track it down for you.

Was there in October while visiting a buddy in odenville. Nice folks!

Fear Night
01-19-2013, 07:36
Really hadn't been in Hoover Tactical in months, but I will say that the week after Sandy Hook in the midst of the buying frenzy and not being able to find any Glock standard capacity mags online, I took a chance on Hoover Tactical and they had a basket full of 17 round mags and even 33 round mags. Also had a box of P-Mags on the floor that they were selling at normal price while most places had theirs sky high. I got a few of the 17 rounders for $26 each. I know their walls were literally bare at the time, and I haven't been back in since so I have no idea what their mag stock/price is now.

I can't go to Mark's unless it's first thing in the morning to avoid the crowd and headache of finding a parking space. I will say since the buying frenzy his ammo stock has been decent and priced no more than what anyone online is selling it for right now, but I haven't been in there in a couple of weeks so who knows now. I did call Mark's recently curious if they ever happened to stock any Mosin Nagants and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I know that may not be their "thing" but I was curious anyway.

I have been to Hoover Tactical about 3 times since Sandy Hook. Most recently a little over a week ago. They are fully cleaned out of Glock magazines now, unfortunately.

Birmingham pistol wholesale has some racks on the floor with surplus rifles. Not a huge selection but I'm sure you could find a few Mosins.

HauntedAlabama
01-19-2013, 09:11
How long have they been there? Lived there several years and never knew about them. I'm curious what their prices are so I'll have to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.

A year or so I think? I stumbled onto them using gun genie. It's not a huge shop but he keeps a ton of Mosins. I have noticed at the public range a ton of UA students shooting historical rifles, I figure he was one of them or figured he could supply that market.

ashvillemark
01-19-2013, 23:24
shotgun sports in anniston on hwy 431 in saks.great pricesand allways friendly and helpful

uaengineer
01-21-2013, 15:55
A year or so I think? I stumbled onto them using gun genie. It's not a huge shop but he keeps a ton of Mosins. I have noticed at the public range a ton of UA students shooting historical rifles, I figure he was one of them or figured he could supply that market.

I called to see what they had and all they have right now are the Chinese Type 53 carbines (M44 clone) for $149 which I guess is a "meh" price seeing as how the 53's were usually left in rough shape with less than stellar bores. Might hold out for a decent and better shooting 91/30 for same or less price. They had no crates of surplus ammo, but had 20 round packs out of the crates for sale for $10 and I'll pass on that when you can get that stuff today for 20 cents a round after shipping. I'll just have to see what else they have next time I'm over that way.