what do you use for trigger polishing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what do you use for trigger polishing?

pangloss9
02-09-2010, 21:07
I want to smooth up the triggers in my Glocks a little bit. What do people use to polish the internals. (I don't have a Dremel tool, so I'll be doing this by hand.) Any help would be much appreciated.

itsgottabeapit
02-10-2010, 01:45
soft arkansas stone to start. VERY GENTLY you are just polishing not removing metal.

Then go over that with a hard arkansas stone. again very gently

Then finish up with some Flitz and I guess a lot of elbow grease and a rag if you don't have a dremel. I'd suggest getting a small battery operated dremel.

There are a few parts on the trigger bar that are pretty picky (you have to keep the exact same shape on one part, and can't change the height on another)

I highly recommend getting AGI gunsmith video called Making Glocks Rock, it's well worth the $30 if you want to tinker with your Glocks. In the video it goes into great detail on how to hone and polish the trigger system.

pangloss9
02-10-2010, 17:31
Thanks for the info, itsgotta. I'll look into getting that DVD (and probably a dremel tool of some sort.)

Duck of Death
02-10-2010, 18:15
You want to smooth up the trigger pull you damn well better remove some metal. Those stamped parts are rough, you don't remove metal you wind up with shiny rough surfaces.

For polishing I use Flitz and a Dremel.

pangloss9
02-11-2010, 17:12
Duck, my Gen2 G17 will definitely need a little bit of metal taken off in some places. I can see the ridges on the piece, and I can feel them when I pull the trigger. Worse case scenario is that I have to order a new trigger/trigger bar for ~$20.

itsgottabeapit
02-11-2010, 20:58
If you take too much off of some parts your gun may double.

jerseyglock
02-11-2010, 21:28
Arkansas stones, use Dremel Flitz to polish contact points. Are you trying to reduce trigger pull ?

Bowtie
02-12-2010, 12:46
I use Mothers Alum. pollish.

pangloss9
02-12-2010, 18:07
Arkansas stones, use Dremel Flitz to polish contact points. Are you trying to reduce trigger pull ?

No. I just want it a little smoother.

paddle007
02-12-2010, 18:38
FWIW I tried Mothers because of quick availibilty. Using a Dremel I found it pretty easy to eat thru the external finish and expose the copper colored layer. I next ordered some Flitz and what a difference, I've used it twice with a Dremel on 25 cent polish jobs. I've found it to polish very quickly yet forgiving on being too agressive. I think Mothers may be OK if it's a hand job:embarassed: or polishing uncoated metals but Flitz with a Dremel is a safer combo.

Boxerglocker
02-12-2010, 19:09
Scotchbrite fine pad on a air die grinder lightly to smooth out the radius of the trigger bar/connector and trigger bar firing pin safety button contact points. Then I polish everything with a dremel buffing pad with polishing compound. (Turtle wax works good) first. Then Final dremel polish with Flitz and cotton wheel pad.