Its time. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Its time.

Kabarred
02-09-2010, 22:22
Its finally time for me to get my first AR. I've quickly noticed the huge selection out there and its kind of overwhelming..

Ive been looking at brands such as Bushmaster, Stag, and RRA.

To get me somewhat on track, could you please recommend me a good recreational AR. The only criteria i really have are a flat top (no handles!!), and around $1000-$1100 (if possible).

Also, if there is anything I should know concerning my purchase, your insight would be much appreciated.

thanks

ArmoryDoc
02-09-2010, 22:41
Bravo Company is THE way to go. Top shelf uppers, lowers and BCG's. Fits right into your budget. You'll never look back. Get a middy, the best of all worlds.

lawman800
02-10-2010, 00:10
STAG 2T. Some of the best features out there and the price is right.

I love the full length rail with no delta ring. You have the longest continuous rail up top for your multiple optics, magnifiers, and BUIS. I also love the squared off look over the regular delta ring and round handguard with a flat top.

Kabarred
02-10-2010, 01:17
STAG 2T. Some of the best features out there and the price is right.

I love the full length rail with no delta ring. You have the longest continuous rail up top for your multiple optics, magnifiers, and BUIS. I also love the squared off look over the regular delta ring and round handguard with a flat top.

I like this very much:embarassed: and the price is right!

DLEE25
02-10-2010, 02:40
You can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned brands and sellers. I will throw in a reccomendation for Del-Ton. Good stuff and great customer service. I'm putting together another one myself. I've found that you can save some cash if you piece it together. Get a stripped lower, a good quality parts kit and then a good upper. You can get a pretty decent AR for less than $700 if you shop around. And + 1 for the Middy. If you don't mind a little extra weight, you get the best of both worlds.

B.Reid
02-10-2010, 08:43
Aim Surplus has Daniel Defense M4's for $999.00 good deal

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 08:45
Aim Surplus has Daniel Defense M4's for $999.00 good deal

This is an excellent deal and a first rate gun. :wavey:

lawman800
02-10-2010, 09:04
I like this very much:embarassed: and the price is right!

You better buy it! I will be hurt if you pick other people's recommendations over mine!

Flinter
02-10-2010, 09:28
There are many things to consider when looking for an AR. Look for 1/7" twist in the barrel, chrome lined, and is properly chambered in 5.56, not just .223, this will give you the greatest range of usable cartridges. Make sure the upper and lower have the correct type 3 hardcoat anadizing, which actually gives you the protection that the alluminum requires for durability. Some of the makers don't apply this. The bolt carrier should be properly heat treated and tested as should the barrel.

The Daniel Defence is an excellent maker, as is BCM.

Caveat Emptor- buyer beware, you will get what you paid for.

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 11:29
...The bolt carrier should be properly heat treated and tested as should the barrel.

Very, very true.

Kabarred
02-10-2010, 22:48
There are many things to consider when looking for an AR. Look for 1/7" twist in the barrel, chrome lined, and is properly chambered in 5.56, not just .223, this will give you the greatest range of usable cartridges. Make sure the upper and lower have the correct type 3 hardcoat anadizing, which actually gives you the protection that the alluminum requires for durability. Some of the makers don't apply this. The bolt carrier should be properly heat treated and tested as should the barrel.

The Daniel Defence is an excellent maker, as is BCM.

is there a noticeable differance in a 1/7 twist vs a 1/9?

ArmoryDoc
02-10-2010, 22:52
1/9 won't stabilize a real heavy bullet as well as the 1/7 will. A 1/7 can sling apart a really light .223 round, so is said. The 1/9 is a good twist rate but it isn't a mil spec twist. Your call on what you want though.

ETA: I prefer 1/7 for all my defense and hunting needs. Works great on 50 grain to 69 grain bullets.

Range Rat
02-11-2010, 16:25
Consider if this is soley a self defense only gun or if you are eventually going to participate in local competition with it. If you might compete, even just casually, you might want a nice stainless bull barrel, upgraded iron sights, 1:8 twist and 2 stage match trigger.

Kabarred
02-11-2010, 18:25
so is the 1/8 the best of both worlds?

MistoGators
02-11-2010, 19:07
Bushmaster
DPMS
Smith & Wesson
Stag

Range Rat
02-11-2010, 19:31
so is the 1/8 the best of both worlds?

Exactly. It can use the 55 grain rounds but can also throw the heavier rounds 68-85 grain.

jrs93accord
02-11-2010, 19:34
Its finally time for me to get my first AR. I've quickly noticed the huge selection out there and its kind of overwhelming..

Ive been looking at brands such as Bushmaster, Stag, and RRA.

To get me somewhat on track, could you please recommend me a good recreational AR. The only criteria i really have are a flat top (no handles!!), and around $1000-$1100 (if possible).

Also, if there is anything I should know concerning my purchase, your insight would be much appreciated.

thanks

If you want to save a little money and not sacrifice quality, go visit www.del-ton.com. They have a variety of options when it comes to building an AR.

mkmckinley
02-12-2010, 12:31
You're getting some good advice and some not so good. You really need to go on m4carbine.net. Don't post anything, just read the stickies. Keep an eye out for "The Chart" by rob_s, then buy a Bravo Company (BCM), Colt, Daniel Defense, or Noveske. The good quality AR's are so inexpensive right now you'd be crazy to buy a midgrade or bottom shelf one because you'd only be saving like $200 and you'd be getting inferior parts. Look at it this way, would you buy a Kia for $800 if a BMW was only $1000? If I was in the market I'd get a 16" Noveske with a mid length gas system.

1/7 twist will stabilize the heavy match grade bullets as well as 55gr. There is no reason to get anything other than 1/7 in an AR-15. You won't get better accuracy from a 1/8 or 1/9 using 55gr bullets than you will with 1/7. Also, most match grade bullets tend to be 69gr and above so you're unlikely to be shooting accurate 55gr ammo anyway. Search for posts on this subject by a guy with the screen name "molon" on m4carbine.net if you want to learn more.

philpac33
02-12-2010, 23:32
fyi, the $999 daniel defense rifle at aim surplus is the xv model and not the ddm4 carbine, which is basically the same gun as the xv with the omega x 12.0 fsp rail system and foreward vertical grip. if i remember right, those were $1299 but for under a grand the xv is a good buy.