Need to choose SD .357 ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need to choose SD .357 ammo

Fishin6061
02-10-2010, 00:22
Well I have joined the .357 club with a G32 and need to choose ammo. I can get ranger Tís from an LEO friend, but was also considering gold dots. What do yall think? Thanks

G-31
02-10-2010, 00:29
I like to keep the top half full of MagSafe rounds and the bottom half FMJ.

skip a stone
02-19-2010, 22:29
Well I have joined the .357 club with a G32 and need to choose ammo. I can get ranger Tís from an LEO friend, but was also considering gold dots. What do yall think? Thanks

I've had problems with the Speer GoldDots bullets setting back in the silver nickel plated brass. I usually only carry CorBon for defense conceal carry because they put a deep canalure in their bullets and crimp their brass into it virtually eliminating the possibility of any setback problems, however I have been carrying DoubleTaps in 125 and 147 grain because of the sheer amazing amount of speed they get out of the muzzle. I've only been using them recently beause of velocity and they use a bonded golddot bullet. That gives a good balance of penetration and expansion.

G33
02-19-2010, 22:43
DT.
:supergrin:

JBarbaresi
02-21-2010, 00:25
i have heard too many stories of peope receiving DT ammo that isn't loaded with Gold Dot bullets lately, don't know what's going on with the company but that's what been reported by buyers lately. You can't go wrong with factory GD ammo, its the choice of most police agencies who carry 357. bullet setback is another one of those fantasy "he said/she said" things. I've never experienced it and most people who claim its an issue have never personally experienced it either. Another I would recommend you look into is the Federal HST 125gr.

hoffy
02-27-2010, 18:49
I have two XDs and they far prefer Remington yellow/green 125 HPs. Hotter than the Rangers, and a bit more muzzle flash at night, though it isn't as flashy as some(kind or purple rather than bright yellow or orange) . My SIG P239 prefers the Rangers. Honestly the diff is not that significant until you get out to 50 yards, and realistically, not many situations going to justify making a shot at that range. Both my XD chambers are tight, some of the cheap Speer TMJ stuff wont chamber, goes into the SIG. The Gold Dots work ok too, good bullet design, I have some, and will use it when I rotate my REM and WIN stuff into the backstop. Accuracy wise they are in the middle, and so far they chamber in the XDs, but I reload 90+% of what i shoot . :wavey:

skip a stone
02-27-2010, 22:49
i have heard too many stories of peope receiving DT ammo that isn't loaded with Gold Dot bullets lately, don't know what's going on with the company but that's what been reported by buyers lately. You can't go wrong with factory GD ammo, its the choice of most police agencies who carry 357. bullet setback is another one of those fantasy "he said/she said" things. I've never experienced it and most people who claim its an issue have never personally experienced it either. Another I would recommend you look into is the Federal HST 125gr.

DoubleTap does indeed use GoldDot ammo. Because of two different types of GoldDot bullets being made (one shallow and one deep) has led some people to suspect that they aren't getting the genuine article, they are.

As far as bullet setback goes, if you own a 357 Sig take a mag full of Speer GoldDots measure them with a set of quality calipers and then cycle them through your weapon like I did when I wanted to test a new extractor I had recently replaced. Now measure them and see how they compare to your original measurements. It is beyond me why someone would disbelieve that a round like the 357 Sig with that tiny little bit of brass holding the actual bullet in place couldn't possibly have bullet setback problems.

countryrebel
02-28-2010, 09:20
DoubleTap does indeed use GoldDot ammo. Because of two different types of GoldDot bullets being made (one shallow and one deep) has led some people to suspect that they aren't getting the genuine article, they are.

As far as bullet setback goes, if you own a 357 Sig take a mag full of Speer GoldDots measure them with a set of quality calipers and then cycle them through your weapon like I did when I wanted to test a new extractor I had recently replaced. Now measure them and see how they compare to your original measurements. It is beyond me why someone would disbelieve that a round like the 357 Sig with that tiny little bit of brass holding the actual bullet in place couldn't possibly have bullet setback problems.

I have not measured any but I might have to try that and see what happens.

TreeTrooper
02-28-2010, 19:03
My agency shelved our Ranger-T ammo because of frequent ammunition-related failures (squib rounds, no crimp, missing primers, .40cal rounds in .357 boxes). We are now issued Speer 125gr Gold Dot for duty use. The Ranger T is to be expended for range use only.