Mak90 Magazine Issues.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mak90 Magazine Issues..

adamg01
02-10-2010, 14:43
I just ordered 3 Euro. mags. from ATG and they will not fit into my Mak90. It came with a cheap polymer Pro-Mag when I bought it. No problems at all locking the Pro-Mag in and these are all 4 30 rounders. The tab on the back of the Pro-Mag doesn't look as thick as the Euro's. I really like this Mak90 and this is kind of upsetting. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried the pre-ban Chinese mags also with no luck. I do see a little rivot in front of the mag release. It looks like it is being rubbed. This is kind of a headache and it is looking like I might have to file on the Ak.

Joshhtn
02-10-2010, 14:53
As far as I know, they should fit just fine?... I have a Norinco MAK90 and have too many mags to count and they're from everywhere (all types) and have never had a problem with fit.

Someone who knows much more than I do should chime in and let you know what's going on... Don't give up on the MAK by any means!!.. It's one of the best and favorite guns I own!!

Good luck!

my762buzz
02-10-2010, 15:13
I just ordered 3 Euro. mags. from ATG and they will not fit into my Mak90. It came with a cheap polymer Pro-Mag when I bought it. No problems at all locking the Pro-Mag in and these are all 4 30 rounders. The tab on the back of the Pro-Mag doesn't look as thick as the Euro's. I really like this Mak90 and this is kind of upsetting. Any help would be appreciated.

The mak 90 chinese magazines that came with my MAK 90 have a slightly thinner magazine rear locking stub than a Euro. There are slight differences
between chinese and euro and sometimes more obvious differences.
What you can do is file off a little off of the top of the magazine latch on the gun. Not too much just enough to allow the euro mags to lock in.
Test the opening with both mag types after every 30 seconds of filing.
I did this recently to a saiga and it now fits chinese and euro mags perfectly.
Also, when you file the top edge of the gun latch, when you get about the right amount of opening, smooth out any jagged edges produced with a lite
sand paper grit or emery board. Rounded and smooth is what you want.

http://i32.tinypic.com/v5zeo2.jpg

adamg01
02-10-2010, 19:06
The mak 90 chinese magazines that came with my MAK 90 have a slightly thinner magazine rear locking stub than a Euro. There are slight differences
What you can do is file off a little off of the top of the magazine latch on the gun. Not too much just enough to allow the euro mags to lock in.
Also, when you file the top edge of the gun latch, when you get about the right amount of opening, smooth out any jagged edges produced with a lite

Have you fired it since the work you done on it with different type mags?

my762buzz
02-10-2010, 19:18
Have you fired it since the work you done on it with different type mags?

I did the same exact thing to my other saiga conversion over a year ago.
Everything fed perfect. No problems at all. All the saiga conversions require
doing just this. The newer conversion hand cycles rounds from chinese, bulgarian, hungarian, romanian, and other magazines.
If non of the euro mags fit, adjusting your latch will allow them to fit.
The main thing to avoid is taking off too much.

The short magazine in the picture is chinese.
The rest are not chinese.

And for perspective, my saiga magazine rear stub tip measures .090 inches, the 5 round chinese in the picture measures .100,
and a steel bulgarian magazine stub tip measures .110 inches. The euro mags are the tightest latch fit now and all three feed just fine.

http://i46.tinypic.com/300d7ur.jpg

-gunut-
02-10-2010, 19:47

+1

I had to do this to one of my Romanian kit guns. Works great now!

jehu
02-11-2010, 06:48
I have two Mak 90's and have had no problems with any type mag fitting in them. In my opinion I would rather alter the mag lugs to make them fit than to be bubba filing on any part of a nice Chicom rifle.:crying::faint:

adamg01
02-11-2010, 07:06
I have two Mak 90's and have had no problems with any type mag fitting in them. In my opinion I would rather alter the mag lugs to make them fit than to be bubba filing on any part of a nice Chicom rifle.:crying::faint:

I am a little apprehensive myself. It seems like this could be the only answer though.

jehu
02-11-2010, 07:22
File the tab down to make it thinner like the Pro mag until it fits not the mag catch on the rifle. Then purchase only Chinese mags which are cheap and should work fine in your Mak. It is not hard to file the lugs on a mag down to fit, I have altered many EG Wieger mags & Bulgarian mags to fit my Valmet M76W & M76FS 5.56 rifles.

GIockGuy24
02-11-2010, 07:40
Modify the magazines. They are easier to replace than the magazine catch in the trigger guard.

PlasticGuy
02-11-2010, 08:04
...What you can do is file off a little off of the top of the magazine latch on the gun. Not too much just enough to allow the euro mags to lock in.
Test the opening with both mag types after every 30 seconds of filing...[/IMG]
I did exactly this with a Romanian AK of mine about a year ago. The mag catch was just a hair too long to work with most magazines. I filed just a little bit at a time until all of the mags that work in my other AK's would lock into that Romanian, and it was good to go.

It's not like you're etching your name in the reciever with a rusty nail. You're just filing the mag catch down to standard AK specs. I should be required to get a permit to work a screwdriver, so if I can do it so it looks professional, anybody can. :supergrin:

FireForged
02-12-2010, 06:25
I would not alter my mak90 just so that a bulky euro mag will work. 90% of all other mil spec ak mags will work just fine. I bought 4 of those waffle mags a few years ago and toss'd them in the trash.

my762buzz
02-12-2010, 09:18
I would not alter my mak90 just so that a bulky euro mag will work. 90% of all other mil spec ak mags will work just fine. I bought 4 of those waffle mags a few years ago and toss'd them in the trash.

Most mil spec mags that are even available are euro: romanian, hungarian, bulgarian, german, yugoslavian, finnish, etc.

Ammunition to go as the OP pointed to has some korean mags that are not what I would consider mil spec. If these are the ones he bought and mistakingly said euro then I can see why maybe they don't fit and in this case the korean mags themselves should be filed to fit and not the gun.

PlasticGuy
02-12-2010, 10:04
The majority of AK mags are European, so if they don't work in an AK it's a gun issue rather than a mag issue.

And I'm very surprised to hear you tossed out Bulgarian waffle mags. They are considered to be some of the very best (maybe literally the best) AK mags ever made. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of other good options, but the Bulgarian mags are excellent.

jehu
02-12-2010, 12:03
[QUOTE=PlasticGuy;14741572]The majority of AK mags are European, so if they don't work in an AK it's a gun issue rather than a mag issue.

I think he must have bought some crapy mags because all European mags fit and work in my Mak's and i have never heard of Euro mags not working in any Chicom rifles. But the problem in my mind is easily solved by purchasing Chinese mags which are both plentiful and cheap. If they don't work it is definately a gun issue but at this point IMO it's a mag issue.

adamg01
02-16-2010, 18:30
I ordered a couple of pre-ban smooth back Chinese mags. and I hope this is the answer I am looking for. I hope the quality is good on these mags. because they are expensive compared to the Euros.

GIockGuy24
02-16-2010, 19:39
Turn your rifle upside down without a magazine and push the mag catch lever back and make sure there isn't a rivet dead center underneath it. I think mainly MAK91's had this feature but some MAK90's may have it also.

my762buzz
02-16-2010, 20:17
Turn your rifle upside down without a magazine and push the mag catch lever back and make sure there isn't a rivet dead center underneath it. I think mainly MAK91's had this feature but some MAK90's may have it also.

Good point..
Does the mag that does fit look like this with the rear tang machined from the top down ?

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/nhm91_mags.jpg

jehu
02-17-2010, 05:42
I ordered a couple of pre-ban smooth back Chinese mags. and I hope this is the answer I am looking for. I hope the quality is good on these mags. because they are expensive compared to the Euros.

IMO the quality of the Chinese mags and AK's overall is better than most Euro. AK's and axcessories.:wavey: