Stoeger double defense. How hard does it kick for a female shooter? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger double defense. How hard does it kick for a female shooter?

alfred10
02-10-2010, 20:33
How hard does the stoeger double defense kick with tactical 00 buck? Might get my gf to get one...

vafish
02-10-2010, 20:38
It will kick just as hard for a female shooter as it does for a male shooter.

There are 2 parts to recoil, the calculated recoil and the felt recoil. Calculated recoil has to do with the physics of the gun weight and ammunition. Felt recoil is very subjective and has a lot to do with how the gun fits you.

I haven't fired the Stoeger double defense, but their cowboy action guns are pretty brutal with heavy buckshot loads.

If you are going to get one for the GF, I'd suggest a diet of low recoil buckshot.

B Coyote
02-10-2010, 22:46
If you are going to get one for the GF, I'd suggest a diet of low recoil buckshot.

I agree. You may even find you like the low recoil stuff for yourself, too.

bc

alfred10
02-10-2010, 23:16
Which low recoil stuff? Do they have low recoil 3 inch shells that have alot of pellets? How about federal tactical low recoil buck shot? How can a side by side be accuret since you aim between the two barrels?

B Coyote
02-11-2010, 00:32
I use Winchester Ranger Low Recoil shells, all of which are 2 3/4". I'm not aware of any 3" low recoil...it kinda defeats itself.

bc

novaDAK
02-11-2010, 01:15
I use Winchester Ranger Low Recoil shells, all of which are 2 3/4".

bc

I use the same.

Dr. J Frame
02-11-2010, 01:18
How hard does the stoeger double defense kick with tactical 00 buck?
The barrels are ported. I felt the recoil was quite manageable and replaced the recoil pad with a metal butt-plate. We are still talking about defensive 00-buck though, so it's going to naturally recoil much greater than a skeet/trap load of course.
Might get my gf to get one...
They make it in 20ga also which makes and excellent defensive choice as well.
Do they have low recoil 3 inch shells that have alot of pellets?
It seems that 9-pellet 2 3/4" does just fine. Standard issue for our military too. And reduced recoil versions carry plenty of energy for home protection.
How can a side by side be accurete since you aim between the two barrels?
The rib is attached to the barrel just like it is on a conventional shotgun, only difference being that it's mounted at roughly the 10 & 2 o'clock positions instead of the 12. All I know is that both barrels hit where I aim them.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1241521/stoeger002.JPG

Darkangel1846
02-11-2010, 12:49
My little 20G coach gun 3 inch, is no problem firing one barrel at a time. Several women have shot it without a hitch. Both barrels at the same time is like a 416 rigby without a recoil pad.

method
02-11-2010, 13:04
The barrels are regulated to have similar points of impact at a given distance. That is, the barrels do not lie perfectly parallel to one another, they will be a little closer together at the muzzle than they are at the breech. So, instead of shooting straight out, each barrel shoots at a slight inward angle, and those shots will cross paths at a certain distance. I would guess that a coach gun is regulated at about 20 yards.

Nutt51
02-12-2010, 11:52
I use a Stoeger 12ga. coach gun for SASS shooting with
skeet loads and it kicks, but I'm 230 lbs. so it's not bad.
I would not suggest it for my wife to shoot.
Just a thought, but we were talking on another thread about
this and this is just my opinion, but if I were going to get my
lady a shotgun for HD, I would take a good look at a Rem 870
or Mossberg youth model 20 ga. pump. They are light and
easier to handle and with 5 shots, one barrel, one trigger, in my
opinion are easier to learn how to shoot. Just my 2 cents.
If you or she opt for the double, get the 20ga. and the aforementioned
reduced recoil or tactical loads. A 20 will do the job fine.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-12-2010, 17:50
:wavey: If your friend has trouble with recoil and is willing to consider other types of actions, she may like a reminigton model 1100 shotgun 12 gauge or 20 gauge.

K.Kiser
02-12-2010, 18:00
She'll handle it just fine if the mental part doesn't bother Her... Lighter weight People actually don't get hit with the same poundage of recoil that a heavier Person does, because their lighter body isn't resisting the gun movement as much as a more stationary body... My Family and I shoot heavy recoiling rifles on a regular basis, and it is something that You can certainly get used to... Woman shoot double rifles on the Safari all the time, so physically She'll be fine once She learns it won't hurt Her...

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-12-2010, 18:30
Better check with Sir Isak Newton , he keeps telling me that for every action there is a opposite and equal reaction.

K.Kiser
02-12-2010, 19:04
Better check with Sir Isak Newton , he keeps telling me that for every action there is a opposite and equal reaction.

Very true, but a heavier shooter makes that reaction happen in a shorter duration of time... Punch a 40 lbs. punching bag, then punch an 80lbs. bag with the same force and then compare which bag moves the least but hurts the most...

mike55
02-14-2010, 00:09
If recoil is an issue the softest recoil will come from a semi auto with a ported barrel and reduced recoil ammo if it will reliably work the action.