Do you clean surplus mags when you get them? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean surplus mags when you get them?

m87
02-10-2010, 22:46
Not something I'd do when ordering AR mags, but then again, I've only got them new. The AK mags I've gotten are used surplus for the most part, and most have come with varying amounts of cosmoline. A few have been just caked in the stuff, so I cleaned them inside and out. For others, I just cleaned the outside with soap/water and dried them, then put on a light coat of oil on the outside of the mag body. Some I haven't cleaned at all.

So...should I clean all surplus mags inside and out, and then oil them inside and out (including springs)? Or...do most of you just start using them and clean them when they get real dirty?

Line Rider
02-10-2010, 22:50
It depends on how much time I have when I receive them. Usually I'll have them cleaned in a week or two.

Nicoroshi
02-10-2010, 22:50
most I have received have been covered in cosmoline so I clean them before use. Every one.

9mm +p+
02-10-2010, 23:33
I usually give them a wipedown in/out and then oil.

m87
02-11-2010, 00:12
As for the oiling, like I said earlier, I do oil down the outside. How would you recommend oiling the inside? Run an oiled cloth or paper towel down the length of the long spring? I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I've never oiled a mag before.

Line Rider
02-11-2010, 06:30
I have serveral new East German steel mag that I bought in the 1990's that I've left in the cosomline. I just wrap them in plastic and sealed them with duck tape. I still have 40 or 50 more to use, so these aren't getting used any time soon.

PlasticGuy
02-11-2010, 08:55
I store my AK mags covered in the original cosmoline. I always clean them inside and out before I start using them. I wipe down the outside with a very light coat of oil, but oiling the inside of the mag will attract dirt and could contaminate ammo if it's excessive. For the inside of the mag body, the spring, and the follower, I spray them down with Remington dry lube and wipe off the excess. That protects and lubricates them without attracting dirt or contaminating ammo with oil.