How do you disarm a glock if you manage to get your hands on one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you disarm a glock if you manage to get your hands on one?

jnewguyin
02-11-2010, 06:24
Just as the title is asking. Every now and then I wonder if I somehow (unlikely i know) get my hands on a glock while someone was pointing it at me, how could you manipulate the gun so it can't go off while you're trying to wrestle it away? This sounds like a mall ninja question but I'm curious.

Blaster
02-11-2010, 06:39
You don't!

You move the gun off axis (off you) as you take it away. Expect the gun to fire, be mentally prepared for that to happen. Trying some sort of gun disabling wizardry will get you shot.

lethal tupperwa
02-11-2010, 06:43
turn the page

Hedo1
02-11-2010, 07:00
Take a disarm class that is hands on. Blaster is correct, deflect first. The rest involves manipulation of the shooters hand using both of your hands. It may go off in the process but it will be pointing at the assailant.

Taking a disarm class will also teach you a lot about weapons retention.

You only try something like this when the alternative outcome is getting shot at close quarters.

Gallium
02-11-2010, 07:56
Take it out of battery.

Worst case is, if you grab the slide and lock it so the action can't cycle, it turns into a one shot gun.

Better things to ponder would be how to not get in a situation where a gun is pointed at you in a menacing fashion, at any close distance, without you having immediate to cover, or at least concealment.

'Drew

Dreamaster
02-11-2010, 08:55
Very difficult to guarantee a non-discharge... still, it can be done.

This might be good for ideas to practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgqibX7NxY&feature=related

You need a training partner, and you need to practice going from a complete stand still to explosive motion in an instant. The hard part is keeping control of your limbs at the same time your putting almost all of your electrical energies into them, especially under duress.

The good news is, removing a handgun from someone's grip is actually pretty easy. Twist the gun one way will break assailants finger if it's in the trigger guard, twisting the other way slips it right out.

David Armstrong
02-11-2010, 10:36
I'd go with Hedo on this one. We were taught the triple D:
Deflect the weapon
Destroy the grip
Disarm the opponent

Mongosafari
02-11-2010, 11:13
Here is the absolute best case senario: You asked about disabling the firearm

Without the gun pointing at you:
Drop the magazine.
Slide out of battery and eject round from the chamber.
Then wrestle the pistol from the bad guy.
Follow with handcuffing and rest.

Glocks don't have a safety you could engage.

k-lo
02-11-2010, 11:38
relevant to topic: I've seen some krav maga moves which were pretty simple yet looked effective in disarming.

Hedo1
02-11-2010, 12:46
relevant to topic: I've seen some krav maga moves which were pretty simple yet looked effective in disarming.

Krav is all about simplicity and practicality. Good stuff.

IMO it's best to learn a simple disarm technique, that can be used to defend against a right or left handed shooter, and practice the hell out of it. You will be sore and bruised if you learn it correctly because you have to execute at full speed, and so does your training partner...on you.

It takes 2 to 3 days to learn the proper technique and practice it. It's a perishable skill and you need to train with someone from time to time to keep sharp.

jnewguyin
02-11-2010, 16:38
Thanks for the input. I was curious about that when I first stepped foot into a gun shop last year and asked one of the employees what a good first hand gun was. He immediately said glocks and to stay away from berettas. I forgot all the reasons he had against the 92 but one is you can prevent it from going into battery (not sure if thats the right term) if you just push the barrel in. He said you can do that to most semi-auto but its easier with the 92 because the barrel sticks out so much. Any truth to that?

p.s. I would never put my palm against the barrel in a defensive situation.

zonie77
02-11-2010, 19:42
Years ago I took Martial Arts, we used bb guns to prove whether we were fast enough or not...you have to be REALLY fast to take the gun away if someone is willing to shoot.

Bobshouse
02-11-2010, 21:24
Here is the absolute best case senario: You asked about disabling the firearm

Without the gun pointing at you:
Drop the magazine.
Slide out of battery and eject round from the chamber.
Then wrestle the pistol from the bad guy.
Follow with handcuffing and rest.

Glocks don't have a safety you could engage.

That seems doable....:whistling: Unless he has green kryptonite grips.

HK Dan
02-12-2010, 06:49
...you have to be REALLY fast to take the gun away if someone is willing to shoot.

I haven't found that to be true (but I wasn't training against martial artists either). Everyone here has said exactly what I would have said, so I'll add nothing except this--the gun you've taken away makes a wonderful short impact weapon.

I wouldn't try to shoot him with his own gun. Better to go with a vicious head butt under the jaw while driving him backward, or beating him with the hammer and rear sight (he's now disarmed, shooting him could be BAD, legally).

Try a disarm practice, you'll be shocked at how easy it is, and you'll have a different attitude about shooting from retention after you do it.

markieboy
02-12-2010, 08:36
You move the gun off axis (off you) as you take it away. Expect the gun to fire, be mentally prepared for that to happen. Trying some sort of gun disabling wizardry will get you shot.

I agree with Blaster!

Have you heard of Amir Perets? He illustrates a pistol disarm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbnhUCvlGUU) using Krav Maga principles. Really practical, IMO.

Deaf Smith
02-12-2010, 14:22
Go to a Krav Maga class. They practice it rather often.

Deaf

budman74
02-18-2010, 08:50
:agree: I've been studying CKM (Commando Krav Maga) for the last year and I have to say it is easy to learn and hard to forget. JMO....

dosei
02-18-2010, 12:10
Just as the title is asking. Every now and then I wonder if I somehow (unlikely i know) get my hands on a glock while someone was pointing it at me, how could you manipulate the gun so it can't go off while you're trying to wrestle it away? This sounds like a mall ninja question but I'm curious.

Trying to "disable" the gun is a complete waste of time. It is far simpler and quicker to disarm than disable. Besides, if you disable it and then disarm...you are now armed with a paperweight. Leave the disable BS for TV & the movies, in the real world you just disarm.