10/22 Stock -- OEM Synthetic or Hogue? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Stock -- OEM Synthetic or Hogue?

peterwp
02-11-2010, 10:22
I just picked up a used base 10/22 with the birch stock. I am looking to get either an OEM Ruger synthetic stock, which go for pretty cheap used ($35 shipped) or a Hogue overmold (~$70 shipped). It seems the Hogue will be 'softer' and probably of a higher quality, but can you all recommend which one you would go with? I am on a limited budget and will be shooting mainly at a range or occasionally out in a field. No bench shooting or competitive target practice. Thanks in advance.

trob
02-11-2010, 10:35
im not really a fan of synthetic stocks, but of the two you listed, the hougue would be my choice. Im more of a laminate guy, but I have nothing against the hogue OM stock.

They have a nice feel to them and will stand up to abuse.

toshbar
02-11-2010, 10:58
the stock synthetic stock is crap. Mine came with one and it was horrible. It's very weak and flexes when you shoulder it. I wanted a folding stock from the get go, so I already had ordered a butler creek stock and put it on the day after getting my 10/22.

I would much rather have the oem wood 10/22 stock than the oem synthetic, purely because it doesn't bend and torque when shouldered. Any reason you want to get rid of the birch other than looks?

Glockaholic
02-11-2010, 11:45
+1 for the Hogue overmold stock.

mteagle1
02-11-2010, 12:22
Based on your limited budget I would suggest the Hogue so you are not buying the crappy OEM and not like it and then buy the Hogue.

I don't understand the reasoning behind a tactical folding .22 as its only function is to be tacticool in a society that is trying to eliminate everything tactical or military looking.

peterwp
02-11-2010, 12:32
Thanks for all of the replies. I actually like wood, too, and not into the whole "tacticool" scene, but the birch feels and looks cheap to me. I did some wood working back in the day and would either want a really nice wood stock, like one from the 10/22T, or a synthetic stock just to get away from rougher wood edges and the cheap feel. I know someone may bring it up but I do not have the space, equipment, or time to refinish my current stock or a new/used one. I would love to but just don't have the space.

Sounds like the jury is out on the OEM synthetic in general. I will look for a good deal on the Hogue unless I can find a good deal on a nicer used wood stock. Anyone know if the 10/22T stock will fit the regular tapered barrel? Thanks again for all of the help.

toshbar
02-11-2010, 13:00
I don't understand the reasoning behind a tactical folding .22 as its only function is to be tacticool in a society that is trying to eliminate everything tactical or military looking.
I suppose this is towards me. I don't have a tacticool folder. It's the Butler Creek wire folder and it looks nothing close to 'military'. I put it on there because I leave the 22 in my truck all the time and don't want it taking up so much space. I could care less how it looks. It certainly does not have good cheek support, but I shot Rifleman at Appleseed, so It does not hinder too much. I do agree how goofy the m4 stocks are on a 10/22.

GSSF17
02-11-2010, 19:50
Or, skip the 2 you mentioned and get a synthetic stock for a .920 bull barrel from Fajen or Butler Creek....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=530364

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9401647

........same money, and then you have a free floated barrel, and the easy opportunity to buy an aftermarket barrel with easy fittment into the stock you are used to. Just a thought. It's what I did. The rifle looked fine in the stock cut for the heavier barrel.:cool:

peterwp
02-11-2010, 20:03
GSSF17, this is the answer I was looking for. So a stock made for a bull barrel will fit the standard barrel? That's great.

GSSF17
02-11-2010, 20:43
GSSF17, this is the answer I was looking for. So a stock made for a bull barrel will fit the standard barrel? That's great.

YEP. Cheers, brotha. Welcome to the addiction.......:cool:

Glad I could help

ElevatedThreat
02-11-2010, 21:35
I don't see what anyone sees in the Hogue stocks.

They have a rally "creepy" feel to me. They pick up lint.

And the two that I have had eventually "melted" from either cleaning solvent or oil, and the rubber overnmold softened to where it began to come off on my hands, and take permanent fingerprints.

You couldn't give me a Hogue stock.

If you want a good, inexpensive sythetic 10/22 stock, try this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=530364

I had one until I stepped up to a laminate target stock, and it was very satisfactory.

-ET

forjoshhall
02-17-2010, 12:15
i shot my standard barrel synthetic stock 10/22 for years and came across a hell of a deal (hogue .920 stock and butler creek carbon barrel) for $90 shipped. In hindsight, i would have paid $200 to have a .920 barrel and hogue stock years ago. if i were to do it ALL over again, i would buy the Volquartzen ultralight for $500 and have a balls out accurate, hardcore 10/22.

peterwp
02-17-2010, 13:24
i shot my standard barrel synthetic stock 10/22 for years and came across a hell of a deal (hogue .920 stock and butler creek carbon barrel) for $90 shipped. In hindsight, i would have paid $200 to have a .920 barrel and hogue stock years ago. if i were to do it ALL over again, i would buy the Volquartzen ultralight for $500 and have a balls out accurate, hardcore 10/22.

If I could find a deal on a barrel and stock combo like that (hint to anyone with such a combo) I would buy it in a heartbeat. For now I think I will keep my eyes open for a Hogue or Fajen deal on a bull barrel stock.