Stock sight opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stock sight opinions?

hoser45
02-11-2010, 10:59
How many of you are okay with the standard stock Glock sights (white dot and outline U rear)? I started looking into the Ashley Big Dot, but about $165 for sights and installation, I'm thinking whether or not it's "worth" it or am I just doing it to do it (sometimes I tend to do that)!

Also, does Ashley make a Non-Tritium version of the Big Dot and Bar rear? :dunno:

Boxerglocker
02-11-2010, 12:57
How many of you are okay with the standard stock Glock sights (white dot and outline U rear)? I started looking into the Ashley Big Dot, but about $165 for sights and installation, I'm thinking whether or not it's "worth" it or am I just doing it to do it (sometimes I tend to do that)!

Also, does Ashley make a Non-Tritium version of the Big Dot and Bar rear? :dunno:

I'm not a fan of the Glock stock sights theough usuable, they are IMO extremely fragile, particularly the front.

Big Dots are great combat sights and if/when I ever get another subcompact Glock they will again be my choice.

If you want the Ashleys get them from http://www.shootersplus.com/xs_express_24_7_sights___glock one of our GT sponsors. They ship immediately if in stock and at minimal cost. I personally have bought 3-4 sets of sights from them over the years.

Big Dots are not difficult to install yourself. All you will need is a drift and locktite which come with the sights. A hammer, file and a padded vice make it easier though not necessary.

Here is a youtube video, illustrating the install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUMmXiZMGw&feature=related

hoser45
02-11-2010, 13:06
Thanks. Are they all tritium front and rear bar? Or is there a non-tritium option?

Boxerglocker
02-11-2010, 13:51
Thanks. Are they all tritium front and rear bar? Or is there a non-tritium option?

The 24/7's are tritium front and rear. Installation done by yourself will save you about $50 on what you were quoted.
I highly recommend you do not apply loctite to the rear sight until you have it sighted in to your statisfaction. You might even consider using blue removable loctite front and back until your happy with them. Make sure regardless of what you use to you clean all surfaces very well with alcohol or MPK it will ensure the integrity of the bond.

RayB
02-11-2010, 17:21
There was a non-tritium rear sight option available for the XSBD sights...

Here's my take on the XS Sights...

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

I can hit with the Glock sights, but they're fairly cheesey looking IMO.

Check out AmeriGlo Operator sights at:

http://www.ameriglo.net/

Coupon code "Grady" will save you 20%.

--Ray

P.S. Also look at the "Super Luminova" thread, with pics, on this forum.

hoser45
02-11-2010, 17:26
What other options for white front and black rear sights would be good? I'm not a big tritium fan and this will have a light attached anyway.

Boxerglocker
02-12-2010, 17:51
What other options for white front and black rear sights would be good? I'm not a big tritium fan and this will have a light attached anyway.

Warren/Sevigny Carry sights are really good too. I have then on my G23. It minics the sight picture of the Sevigny competition models.
You can get them black on black, tritium front and/or back, or blackwith fiberoptic front. Check out www.cpwsa.com Chris the owner has great customer service and is a GT sponsor.