Don't laugh guys . . .feel kind of silly for asking. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh guys . . .feel kind of silly for asking.

tbird911
02-11-2010, 12:53
I know that glocks are shtf guns, tough as nails, meant to be used etc . . . .

That being said, I have a new G26 that had aftermarket front and rear sights installed on it. I am adding some Warren Tactical sights and when I removed the current front sight, it looks like the guy that put them on may have used a little too much loctite 242 on the screw that held the sight in place. After removing the sight, it appears that a little of the loctite seeped underneath the front sight base. I managed to use a cleaning cloth and some elbow grease to remove all but the faintest of residue, but I can still see some darker coloration where the loctite was. By now you guys are probably wondering why the heck I'm even asking . . . for some reason (I admit that I'm overly picky), it bothers me. I tried heating the area a little with a blow dryer and rubbing it out, but no luck. Is there anything that you can think of (Hoppes, acetone etc.) that will really get rid of the residue without harming the finish of the slide?

Thanks in advance,

Tbird911 (obsessive, picky and honest) :)

Pierre!
02-11-2010, 15:24
Now I feel really foolish for asking... but...

Will the new site cover this *blemish* when you get it installed? If so... How picky do you want to be?!?!? (grin)

pangloss9
02-11-2010, 16:07
Perhaps you should try a Magic Eraser (http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do?gclid=CIDFyouz658CFUcL2godpgwOXQ). Be advised that I have absolutely no idea if this will work or if it will leave scratches on your slide. For all I know, you could end up worse off than you are now. I have never ever used a Magic Eraser on a gun, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.

tbird911
02-11-2010, 16:28
Now I feel really foolish for asking... but...

Will the new site cover this *blemish* when you get it installed? If so... How picky do you want to be?!?!? (grin)

Its so funny . . . something so small, nearly invisible and insignificant can bother a guy . . .I have a couple of friends that are like that about knives . . .LOL

It's likely that the new sights will "almost" cover it :)

boyscoutG36
02-12-2010, 00:21
Acetone removes all types of loctite, rub it with a Qtip and hopefully that does it.