Issue with Government Model Grip Panels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Government Model Grip Panels

SIGShooter
02-11-2010, 20:48
Les Baer, Thunder Ranch Special, Full size.

Hogue grips, Pau Ferro, Double Diamond Rosewood, stippled

Hogue grips, Double Diamond, Coco Bolo

This is the first time I have ordered 1911 grips panels from Hogue. I am editing this part to...Make sure you check the grip panels prior to actually installing them. Great lookers and the stippling and checkering is some of the best I have seen out there. Just a little disappointed in them.

Now, on to the issue:

The Pau Ferro Double Diamond Rosewood grips fit perfect! Perfect fit, just tight enough fit to the bushings and no movement. The stippling is outstanding! It is just enough texture to get a great grip purchase and not allow any shift while shooting. Yet it still has a smoothness that won't catch on fabric.

Double Diamond Coco Bolo grips have a great texture that mirrors the stippled rosewoods. The main difference is of course the stippling and the difference in grain. These are a bit lighter in color with some very dark grains running vertically through the grip. Now, with the coco bolo grips I noticed that they are a shade thinner then the rosewoods.

My problem is, when I put the coco bolos on and tighten down the grips screws there is a tiny bit of movement in the grips. My thought process is: because of the difference in thickness this is causing the problem. Regular sized bushings and screws supplied by Les Baer. Like I said, I can tighten the screws down until they don't turn anymore. But there is still a little bit of play on the grips. The rosewoods don't do this.

Anyone have any solutions to the issue?

I was thinking maybe some type of washer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

josp
02-11-2010, 21:47
"Slim" grip sized grip esteucheons (sp). I have an extra set with screws in blued. If you're interested, pm me.

zdragon23c
02-11-2010, 23:21
Homedepot #60 O rings will stop any movement.

CMG
02-12-2010, 01:44
Homedepot #60 O rings will stop any movement.

+1 :cool:

SIGShooter
02-12-2010, 16:38
Thanks everyone for the tips!!!

I appreciate the offer for the bushings as well, thank you!

The O rings worked great!

That is of course until I split my grip panel!!! WTF!!! :steamed:

Anyway, I'm a little pissed off and discouraged today. However, I did have a relatively good range day.

Well, I'm gonna go get a beer and a shot. Maybe watch a movie.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the help!!!

CMG
02-13-2010, 05:22
Bummer!

You did put the grips on first, and then place the o-rings between the screw and the grip... right?

If so, it's hard to imagine needing enough torque to split the grip.

silversport
02-13-2010, 06:26
I had this issue with a pair of Simonich Gunner Grips on my Kimber...fit the other 1911s just fine but just that little bit of movement...I took a bit of electrical tape (very small piece) over the bushing (breaks so the bushing is exposed and lies flat on the frame but provides just enough to take up the slack)...never an issue after that...
Bill

SIGShooter
02-13-2010, 15:29
I had this issue with a pair of Simonich Gunner Grips on my Kimber...fit the other 1911s just fine but just that little bit of movement...I took a bit of electrical tape (very small piece) over the bushing (breaks so the bushing is exposed and lies flat on the frame but provides just enough to take up the slack)...never an issue after that...
Bill

I was going to use the tape, but I figured why not try the O-Rings.

CMG: When I torqued the screws down, they were way high on the grip. So, taking my time, I went to each one and snugged them down. Thinking about it now and really giving them a going over, it seems the left grip panel (The one that cracked) was not shaped correctly. Initially when I first put them on I noticed that the top crew was not sitting flush at all. Looking at it from the top, you could see how the grip was sloped at the top. This was the cause of the problem. I tightened it a little too much and cracked the top of the panel.

Oh well, I was really liking these grips. They are pretty spot on. However, after this experience, I don't think I will be buying anymore of these. I know nothing is 100%, but I mean come on, they are a grip manufacturer and all.

I need to call them on monday and let them know what happened.

I'll edit my first post in this thread in regards to the grips. They are really great lookers and the stippling and checkering are by far the best I've seen.

Oh well...back to the slim grips from Baer for me.

Oh yeah...another 300 rounds down range today. :cool:

02-13-2010, 18:20
I think, you need the correct screw bushings, as josp offered. Otherwise the grip is not laying flat against the frame. You will also need the short screws to prevent them from extending into the mag area.

zdragon23c
02-13-2010, 21:55
i use O rings with all my grip panel screws.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/52dragon/P1040736.jpg