Question about .223 boat tail ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about .223 boat tail ammo

Jack23
02-11-2010, 23:16
I have just bought 1100 rounds of .223 55gr fmjbt ammo for my Colt 6920 Aro-15. Now I'm hearing that boat tail ammo is "hard" on the barrel. The chamber and barrel of this AR are chromed. Should I not use this ammo? About how many rounds of this Ammo would I have to run through it before I need to worry about permanent Damage.

I'm fairly concerned here and would surely appreciate any info I can get on this ammo and how it will affect my gun. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Jack23

ArmoryDoc
02-11-2010, 23:26
I have just bought 1100 rounds of .223 55gr fmjbt ammo for my Colt 6920 Aro-15. Now I'm hearing that boat tail ammo is "hard" on the barrel. The chamber and barrel of this AR are chromed. Should I not use this ammo? About how many rounds of this Ammo would I have to run through it before I need to worry about permanent Damage.

I'm fairly concerned here and would surely appreciate any info I can get on this ammo and how it will affect my gun. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Jack23

A boat tailed bullet has nothing to do with barrel wear. It is a bullet style whereas the back end of the bullet is chamfered inwards to the center line, which reduces drag. Boat tail bullets are fine with any rifling. The bullet jacket material may be an issue but you didn't mention anything about that. I run FMJBT all the time in my AR's.

Hoser
02-12-2010, 07:11
"They" are wrong.

Dont worry. Go shoot.

kabob983
02-12-2010, 07:58
+1 to both replies above, boat tail has nothing to do with barrel wear.