870 Youth Model 20 gauge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Youth Model 20 gauge

glockman23
02-12-2010, 01:18
So I've decided to make the step up to a shotgun for home defense. I'm in a big old 4 unit house and my apartment has only 4 rooms.

I'm not really a shotgun guy (not because I don't like them, just don't have a lot of experience with them). I like the idea of the 20 gauge for home defense, as I've only fired a shotgun once (outdoors-12 gauge) and the recoil/noise was pretty brutal. I understand a 20 will more than do the job, and may allow for quicker follow-up shots if they are needed. I'm not looking for anything with a lot of bells and whistles, maybe just a light on the end of it.

So my question is- what do you guys think of an 870 youth model for home defense in my situation? My reasoning is that it's light weight and shorter than a standard model, and will be more maneuverable in my small 1 bedroom apartment (although I don't plan on clearing any rooms). I believe it holds 4 shells and 1 in the tube, which is adequate for my purposes. If it's not enough I keep my primary carry gun loaded next to a spare mag in the dresser (Kahr PM9). Also my girlfriend will be taught how to use it, but probably won't shoot it for practice.

I don't plan on hunting with it. It'll be strickly for SD or "end of the world" type scenarios.

Sorry to be so long winded, just want to get all the info out there :). Any thoughts/opinions?

Puppy
02-12-2010, 03:29
Yea what ever your comfortable with shooting is fine, a 20 gauge is more than adequate for home defense purposes.

K.Kiser
02-12-2010, 06:33
Yes, a 20 guage will thwart a BG's plans immediately and seen proof... It will hold 4-5 in the magazine if You remove the plug from the end of the magazine tube, although remember to re-install if You plan on hunting with it... Another option if a 12 guage is easier to find is to use low brass shells to reduce recoil, inside the confines and distances of a home it will make no difference... Also remeber that a 20 guage shoots at the same velocity as a 12 guage, so penetration/overpenetration will be equal with a give shot # size...

Nutt51
02-12-2010, 11:05
Nothing at all wrong with a 20. It will do the job for HD just fine.
Excellent choice with the 870 youth model if your going with a 20.
The 870 is a fine weapon and easy to upgrade and find parts for,
although not as versatile as the 12.
Good size for your lady to learn to shoot and easier to handle compared
to a full size 12.
I rely on an 870 12ga. for myself, but have a Mossberg 20ga. youth
model loaded in the closet for my wife.

aippi
02-12-2010, 11:21
Good pick.

glockman23
02-12-2010, 12:14
Yes, a 20 guage will thwart a BG's plans immediately and seen proof... It will hold 4-5 in the magazine if You remove the plug from the end of the magazine tube, although remember to re-install if You plan on hunting with it... Another option if a 12 guage is easier to find is to use low brass shells to reduce recoil, inside the confines and distances of a home it will make no difference... Also remeber that a 20 guage shoots at the same velocity as a 12 guage, so penetration/overpenetration will be equal with a give shot # size...

Good advice. I've held off for a while now because of the "overpenetration" issue. Then I read some of the Box o' Truth stuff about shotguns. They actually penetrate walls less than most handguns in self defense calibers. A .45 ACP HP (which I was going to go with) penetrated all 12 layers of sheetrock. #4 buck out of a 12 gauge penetrated 6 or 7 layers. The 20 gauge with #3 buck had an estimated penetration of 12 inches + in human tissue. So, no reason not to go with the shotgun...

Which brings me to my next question- what load to use? I was thinking standard load #3 or #4 buckshot?

K.Kiser
02-12-2010, 12:57
Good advice. I've held off for a while now because of the "overpenetration" issue. Then I read some of the Box o' Truth stuff about shotguns. They actually penetrate walls less than most handguns in self defense calibers. A .45 ACP HP (which I was going to go with) penetrated all 12 layers of sheetrock. #4 buck out of a 12 gauge penetrated 6 or 7 layers. The 20 gauge with #3 buck had an estimated penetration of 12 inches + in human tissue. So, no reason not to go with the shotgun...

Which brings me to my next question- what load to use? I was thinking standard load #3 or #4 buckshot?

Your gonna get different opinions on this, so soak all them in and make a choice that You feel suits Your needs... I use high brass #6 shot in mine as to eliminate overpenetration as much as possible... Some will say that hi brass squirrel shot isn't effective against a Man, @ 25' that is a factually incorrect statement ... As far as a 20 guage, all that I have ever found is #3 buck... The only difference is the need or lack thereof penetration, no matter the shot size it will still be roughly the same amount of grains traveling at roughly the same speed at close range... About 600 grains of lead traveling over 1,000 fps will make a criminal dead or wish that He was, even if they only go 1/2 through His body instead of all the through to contact something else... I refuse to use the heavy buckshots in My home, I've killed too many game animals at 30-40 yards with it to justify it in My home against a Man at room range...

proheromk1
02-12-2010, 13:11
I bought my daughter an 870 youth with the mossy oak pink stock. Can't wait to see the look on the B.G.'s face when he is met at the door with it.

glockman23
02-12-2010, 16:35
I just got back from the gun store. Handled a youth model (21 inch barrel I think) next to a regular 870 express 18" barrel in 20. The size was pretty much identical, the full size model is slightly heavier. The model I handled had the +2 mag extension. Might just go with that. It was only about 40 or 50 bucks more. I'd be really happy if I could find a used one. Throw a tac light on the end and I should be good to go. My buddy already wants me to go out and shoot skeet with him. Sounds like fun.

pmwglock19
02-12-2010, 18:22
I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga persuader that holds 8 rnds I mostly shoot it in 3 gun matches. My son was thinking about buying a Saiga, but after shooting mine, he now is either getting the 500 or the 590. His comment was "I can't miss with this gun".

glockman23
02-12-2010, 23:54
Sorry, accidental post.