Tapco AK Mags Problem/Fix [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tapco AK Mags Problem/Fix

Dmeister
02-12-2010, 05:53
A short time ago I posted a thread letting people know about MidwayUSA's clearance sale on OD Tapco AK mags. I picked up some and I feel it's my responsibility to let you all know about a potential problem and a fix.

If your mags came in a heat sealed plastic bag with a color insert (some of mine did) look at the little hole in the follower. You should be able to see the spring through the hole (just a short silver line). If not - the mag may have the wrong springs installed by the factory. The mags that came in the plastic bag with the cardboard hang tag stapled on top did not have this problem.

I contacted Tapco and they said that they had a batch of AK mags go out with AR magazine springs accidentally installed. They're too short and too narrow for these mags and will cause problems. If you open the mag it's obvious. The spring doesn't fill the entire follower or cover the entire base insert.

Wrong spring is on the right.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/4350453653_a5fe5761ba.jpg

If you have this issue, contact Tapco and they should send you the correct springs free of charge. They are aware of the problem and admitted fault without hesitation.

It looks like MidwayUSA was getting rid of some old stock (hence the good deal!) and it included some of these older mags from the batch that was sent out with the incorrect springs from the factory.

Anyone need some AR magazine springs? :)

Puppy
02-12-2010, 06:03
Yikes!

Thanks for the heads up Dmeister, I don't use Tapco magazines but if I do ever pick any up I'll make sure to double check them.

Hooba
02-12-2010, 14:41
Yikes!

Thanks for the heads up Dmeister, I don't use Tapco magazines but if I do ever pick any up I'll make sure to double check them.
I just checked Midway...is the clearance sale over?

Joshhtn
02-12-2010, 14:52
Thanks for the heads up!

ecmills
02-14-2010, 00:04
You bought Tapco mags on purpose? Some things aren't worth owning, even if they're free.

Dmeister
02-14-2010, 05:06
I just checked Midway...is the clearance sale over?

They're all sold out. Toward the end they were 8 and change each as they kept dropping the price.

You bought Tapco mags on purpose? Some things aren't worth owning, even if they're free.

Is this statement from personal experience with Tapco magazines?

Seems like Tapco mags get a bad rap, but I haven't seen many actual failures reported. People rarely praise but love to complain on the internet. Considering that they have probably sold millions of these mags by now, the low number of people spouting off that they personally have had problems (that were due to the magazine and not the rifle) tells me that they're probably pretty good products.

Looks like someone here discovered the same spring problem...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350213

I'll put in my 2c - I've had no problems at all with Tapco mags (with proper springs, of course.) :D

I also sent an email to Tapco about some people's concerns regarding keeping them loaded (concerns due to the lack of metal reinforcement on the feed lips resulting in potential failure) - Tapco sent back "There shouldn’t be any issues with keeping your magazines fully loaded. We have not had any instances of failure due to this. As long as you keep the mags stored under normal environments, they should be fine."

andyffer
02-14-2010, 10:10
only problem i have with the Tapco that came with my Lancaster is the magazine catch wont latch. I put in a metal mag and it fits perfect but the plastic on the Tapco comes out too much. I really have to put a lot of muscle into it to get that Tapco to snap in

El_Ron1
02-14-2010, 11:54
Free AR springs!

Good lookin' out, Dmeister.

ipscshooter
02-14-2010, 11:59
only problem i have with the Tapco that came with my Lancaster is the magazine catch wont latch.

I bought a couple of 20 round Tapco mags to use when sighting in my Lancaster 3060 Milled AK. Aside from the latch tab the mags are too fat for the opening. Metal mags work fine.

Lesson learned. No more Tapco mags for me.

toshbar
02-14-2010, 16:46
only problem i have with the Tapco that came with my Lancaster is the magazine catch wont latch. I put in a metal mag and it fits perfect but the plastic on the Tapco comes out too much. I really have to put a lot of muscle into it to get that Tapco to snap in

spend 60 seconds on it with a bastard file and be done.

Aceman
02-14-2010, 17:49
Everyone has a complaint about something. There are bad mags of every sort. Even metal ones. AK is a gun manufactured to, shall we say, less than precise standards. If you are too prissy to bend a little here, shave a little there, etc...go get an AR. And then don't ****** when a perfectly fine gun jams for no apparent reason other than it didn't like the color of the mag!

It's an AK - find a mag that fits and work it.

I have TApco and Promags that have always been 100% and Steel too. I do have mags that have been peculiar when brand new, or just don't like certain guns. Shoot enough to figure this out!

ipscshooter
02-14-2010, 18:12
Everyone has a complaint about something.

Yeah, some complain about people that complain. :rofl: :wavey: :supergrin:

andyffer
02-14-2010, 20:42
spend 60 seconds on it with a bastard file and be done.

i filed down the edges to try and smooth it but no luck. Guess I'll just shave down the face of the latch on the mag now

toshbar
02-14-2010, 20:48
what exactly is the problem? Is the mag catch too long front to back or is it too thick from top to bottom?

andyffer
02-14-2010, 22:26
what exactly is the problem? Is the mag catch too long front to back or is it too thick from top to bottom?

The rear latch on the mag was too thick for the mag catch on the gun to snap forward. I just shaved it down using my a knife (no nail file but probably would have been easier) and now I just need to give it the slightest umff to get it to snap in there. I could file it down a tiny bit more but I probably wont.

Where its red is where I filed it down
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/andyffer/akolivedrabmag.jpg

Dmeister
02-18-2010, 06:25
Quick update - the springs arrived via USPS 5 days after I contacted Tapco. It was simple to replace the springs, using a good one as a guide.

If you need to install your Tapco springs without a spare as a guide:

One spring end is pinched inward a little farther than the other - that's the side goes on the bottom guide.

The top of the spring goes into the follower round-loop-end first with the cut end pointing toward the open side of the follower. It slides in under the little tab at the top of the follower on one side.

At the other end, the spring's round-end loop hooks into a notch on one side of the bottom guide with the cut end pointing away from the notch. Then it all snaps down flush with the bottom of the plate.

Reassemble and you should be ready to go.