New SGL20-41 an question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New SGL20-41 an question

1911austin
02-12-2010, 18:20
I just picked up a new Arsenal SGL20-41. Sorry for the crappy picture. My question concerns mounting optics. It has the scope rail on left side of the receiver. What has been your experiences using this rail? What mounts do your recommend? Iím not looking for MOA accuracy but rather CQB accuracy. Maybe 50 to 100 yards max. Does this rail system hold zero good enough for a red dot like an Aimpoint or Eotech?

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=16325

glockin-45
02-12-2010, 18:54
Congrats! 1911austin. I too just got the same rifle. I had bought the kv04s mount from K-VAR for my Bulgarian slr-107. I paid like $118.oo alot of money but i wanted what i hoped to be the best? I'm sure you can find one for a lot less. Then i got a $40 dollar reddot from wall-mart. It did'nt take long to sight it in. And boy was it fun shooting with it on. I'm sold on it. Have fun.

1911austin
02-12-2010, 18:56
Congrats! 1911austin. I too just got the same rifle. I had bought the kv04s mount from K-VAR for my Bulgarian slr-107. I paid like $118.oo alot of money but i wanted what i hoped to be the best? I'm sure you can find one for a lot less. Then i got a $40 dollar reddot from wall-mart. It did'nt take long to sight it in. And boy was it fun shooting with it on. I'm sold on it. Have fun.

Thanks for the info. The store had the K-Var mount for about $120 and I think I will get one.

Mofeen
02-14-2010, 09:18
I cannot find that mount on their site. Does anyone have a link? I am interested in it as well. Thanks.

1911austin
02-14-2010, 10:06
I cannot find that mount on their site. Does anyone have a link? I am interested in it as well. Thanks.

This is the mount.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16166&cat=345&page=1

Cool Breeze
02-14-2010, 17:38
Here's what I bought for my SGL20-22. It's a nice unit and mounts very solid. The K-var is out of stock. This one is also cheaper and well worth the money.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-264/AK-Saiga-mount-low/Detail

1911austin
02-14-2010, 18:06
Here's what I bought for my SGL20-22. It's a nice unit and mounts very solid. The K-var is out of stock. This one is also cheaper and well worth the money.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-264/AK-Saiga-mount-low/Detail

Thanks for the info. What optic are you using with it?

PlasticGuy
02-14-2010, 19:24
Personally, I prefer an Ultimak mount. It sits much lower and offers a much better cheek weld.

CTfam
02-15-2010, 19:49
Personally, I prefer an Ultimak mount. It sits much lower and offers a much better cheek weld.

I'm interested in hearing more about this option... I have ZERO experience with optics so I would like to co-witness the irons. It would just make me feel better just in case something went wrong.

1911austin
02-16-2010, 15:41

I have heard nothing but good things about the Ultimak. My only concern is how it will change the balance of the weapon. With the AK-74 style muzzle break it is already a little muzzle heavy. I would like to hear what other think of the Ultimak in this regard.

Fortunate1
02-17-2010, 03:24
I run an Ultimak on a Norinco NHM-91. It is definitely a well-made but hefty chunk of metal. I tried it on my MAK-90 first and didn't like the way it changed the balance of that rifle, so it went on the NHM with the 20+ inch barrel since that rifle is already so front heavy that it just doesn't matter to me if there is more weight up there. Different applications.

PlasticGuy
02-17-2010, 03:43
I have heard nothing but good things about the Ultimak. My only concern is how it will change the balance of the weapon. With the AK-74 style muzzle break it is already a little muzzle heavy. I would like to hear what other think of the Ultimak in this regard.
The entire quad rail set up would add a significant amount of weight. I just use their railed gas tube, which adds virtually zero weight. I don't like muzzle heavy guns either, so the Ultimak mount is ideal for me. It also allows for a co-witness set up with low mounted optics like the mini Trijicon red dot.

1911austin
02-17-2010, 11:27
The entire quad rail set up would add a significant amount of weight. I just use their railed gas tube, which adds virtually zero weight. I don't like muzzle heavy guns either, so the Ultimak mount is ideal for me. It also allows for a co-witness set up with low mounted optics like the mini Trijicon red dot.

PlasticGuy,

Thanks for the input. I was on the fence between a side rail mount or the Ultimak. I think I will give the Ultimak a try along with one of the small Aimpoints.

Navitimer
02-17-2010, 20:29
I could be wrong but I don't think you'd be low enough to co-witness with the side mount. The Ultimak does allow for co-witness, and it's a great looking quad rail too.

Navitimer
02-17-2010, 20:30
I should also mention that the side mount probably won't hold zero nearly as well as the quad rail mount.

PlasticGuy
02-19-2010, 08:41
PlasticGuy,

Thanks for the input. I was on the fence between a side rail mount or the Ultimak. I think I will give the Ultimak a try along with one of the small Aimpoints.
I think you'll love that arrangement. The only thing I should mention is that the Aimpoint T-1 is just a hair too high for a co-witness arrangement. I would suggest it anyway though. It's too good of a mount and optic to recommend against it. We run Aimpoints on our Colts at work, and beat the holy crap out of them. We haven't had a single Aimpoint fail since I've been working there (or before, as far as I've been able to find out). While I still prefer a co-witness arrangement, I'm not as insistant on it as I used to be.

Mofeen
02-19-2010, 08:48
I think you'll love that arrangement. The only thing I should mention is that the Aimpoint T-1 is just a hair too high for a co-witness arrangement. I would suggest it anyway though. It's too good of a mount and optic to recommend against it. We run Aimpoints on our Colts at work, and beat the holy crap out of them. We haven't had a single Aimpoint fail since I've been working there (or before, as far as I've been able to find out). While I still prefer a co-witness arrangement, I'm not as insistant on it as I used to be.

Excuse the ignorance here. Co witness means being able to use the irons and optic at same time, right?

PlasticGuy
02-19-2010, 22:32
Excuse the ignorance here. Co witness means being able to use the irons and optic at same time, right?
Yes. It generally means that the lower third of your sight picture through the optic is composed of your iron sights. If your sight dies or loses zero, you can just lower your head 1/2 inch and use your irons to keep shooting.

That said, the two of the three times my optic has become useless have been due to rain and fog, which means that co-witness wouldn't work either. I've started to become more centered on quick detach mounts than co-witness arrangements. I want to be able to pull the optic off in a hurry to just get the damn thing out of my way.