Reminton Bulk problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reminton Bulk problems

Rys2k8Altima
02-12-2010, 20:51
Has anybody had issues with the Remington Bulk packs with Failure to Fires? Last weekend, I shot about 350 to 400 rounds thru the 10/22 and about 5 out of every 25 didnt fire. It was really weird. I think It might be something to do with my firing pin, but I dont have any issues firing these thru my Hi Standard. I really like the Winchester 333 pack, except there seem to be alot of loose rounds in there. I just bought some federal 550 at wally world yesterday, and will be going to the range on thur to try those out. Anyhow, has anybody else had issues with the Remington Bulk?

kirgi08
02-13-2010, 00:40
IMHO remy bulk is not good ammo,I've had worse results than you did.'08.

thorn137
02-13-2010, 01:41
I bought a box of Rem Bulk a couple years ago, to use in my Ruger MkII. I couldn't wait until that box was empty. Bang Bang JAM Bang poof Bang JAM poof poof.

Never again, unless it's the end of the world and I can't find CCI minimags.

thorn

deadite
02-13-2010, 07:49
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176752

Check this thread out.

deadite

M2 Carbine
02-13-2010, 12:20
Has anybody had issues with the Remington Bulk packs with Failure to Fires?

Yeah, big time.
And it seems to be getting worse with Remington.

Whenever I have a dud I pull the bullet and check for primer. There never is any.
I have a jar overflowing with dud Remington, Federal and Winchester. Mostly Remington.

As an example, a couple days ago in one 24 round magazine I had 8 duds. Two fired on the second strike. The remaining six had no primer.

This is those six cases.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Rem22duds.jpg

As can be seen the cases had no primer. The primed case is a Federal for comparison.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Rem22dudsinside.jpg

Bottom line is if you want to shoot this cheap ammo you will have duds.

Personally I shoot so much 22LR ammo that buying good ammo, such as CCI, would be way too costly. So, I put up with the misfires.

If nothing else it gives new shooters malfunction practice.:supergrin:

A few weeks ago friends put about a thousand rounds through my SIG 522. They were shooting as fast as they could load the magazines. I was the photographer. They were shooting mostly Federal with no problems but I could tell when the magazine was loaded with Remington. One malfunction after another.

pakettle
02-13-2010, 12:58
Ive had no problems with the rem. goldens, my beretta neos and AA glock conversion loves em. Last 550 box only produced 1 jam and 2 ftfs, I had more failures then that with CCi mini mags.

Rooster Rugburn
02-13-2010, 16:53
I haven't had any problems specific to Remington Golden Bullets or Thunderbolt in bulk packs in my good rifles. But I've had a TON of problems with my 10/22 and every type of ammo I ran through it, before I finally got it running.

If you are getting a weak strike, the first step is to remove the firing pin and clean the channel. Use dry lube or no lube.

Did you keep the rounds? If not, you should. Any time I had a misfire, I would keep the round for reference to help determine if it was a firing pin issue and a weak strike, or an ammo issue. You can also see whether the firing pin is hitting in the proper place or not, or if it's strong enough.

Also keep some empty brass so you will have it to test any tweaks.

It could be the firing pin is too sharp, or the Rem brass is too soft. If the pin is too sharp or brass too soft, it will cut the brass instead of crush. Crush is what you need to detonate the primer.

The Volquartsen hammer kit has a stronger hammer spring that is advertised as preventing misfires. So it's not an unusual condition in the 10/22.

The firing pin channel in the bolt allows the firing pin to come off the edge, and the stock firing pin on mine gave weak strikes. I bought another Ruger firing pin from Midway and it helped. I also stoned some material off the rear of the bolt to give me a stronger strike.

So between the Volquartsen hammer and spring, another firing pin, stoning some material off the rear of the bolt, and having Connecticut Precision put a pin above the firing pin on the bolt finally got mine shooting consistently. Now the accuracy sucks.

If you think the firing pin is riding up, you can put a pin in the channel to keep it down. Or, you can stake (for lack of a better term) the firing pin channel better. Notice on the top of your bolt, there are a couple dings meant to keep the firing pin down. I've seen people at RFC discuss making those stronger and deeper.

MattHappyTrails
02-13-2010, 17:14
I will not buy any more Rem. bulk until I hear about a great improvement in quality. The number of duds has gotten to be rediculous.

BSA70
02-13-2010, 17:40
I've had good luck with remington in my glock conversion kit. Seems the federals have duds also...

Rys2k8Altima
02-13-2010, 18:15
I forgot to mention this, my Ruger seems to have a weird strike. It doesnt look like the pics above. It seems to only crush the rim, not into the bottom of the shell. I only ran about 100 or 150 rounds of Rem thru my Hi Standard, The only problem I had with that gun was one failure to feed. So maybe I should clean the firing pin channel. I have yet to do that, and I bought the gun used. I didnt have a singel issue with the Winchester stuff though. Just every once in a while I would get a Click and poof instead of Click and BANG. Oh well I guess. Its not like this is home defense ammo. I bought the Ruger and Hi Standard to Keep my 9mm costs down, and It sure has helped. I have gone from shooting 300-500 9mm rounds to about 100.

BK63
02-13-2010, 18:47
My buddie was standing along side of me today complaining about just that. He had a rem bulk box and had a couple dozen that were hit hard and just did not go off. I had a box also and every one went off. We had bought them at different times and different places though. Maybe they have some quality issues?

Rooster Rugburn
02-13-2010, 20:40
It sounds like the firing pin could be drifting. Different ammo might take more or less strike to get detonation.

Here is a pic I borrowed from Connecticut Precision Chambering. Notice just above the yellow dot, the pin that has been put in the bolt. This keeps the firing pin at the bottom of the channel. You can duplicate the effort by getting a dowel or something, maybe even a small nail, and putting in that channel to keep the firing pin from riding up. Whatever you use, make sure it's smooth so the pin will move and avoid binding. I doubt you can drill a hole good enough to do that yourself, so it might be better just to stick something in that channel. I've heard of people at my club doing that. Maybe something semi soft like copper wire that will be easy to get out. You can tap it in with a small screw driver. Or a finishing nail with the point dremelled smooth inserted then dremelled smooth with the top of the bore.

Putting this pin in shows how much room for movement that firing pin has in that channel.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/ozardofwiz/mailedD7.jpg

Definitely start keeping your misfires and even some brass from rounds that fired. It will help you understand and zero in on your problem.

I paid for the bolt rework when a guy at the range suggested this could be the issue. The bolt rework didn't work. A Volquartsen hammer kit, a new Ruger firing pin (the ruger FP in my rifle and the ruger FP I got at midway were different lengths and had different points, their QC sucks), and taking some material off the back of the bolt got mine working. I can't say which step did it because I did them all at once before taking it to the club and trying it.

Ima19man
02-13-2010, 20:45
Remington Bulk packs here in Illinois run about 18 dollars, the Winchester 555 packs run around 16 and the federal about 15. So far... I havent tried the Winchester, and the federal seems to be of higher qual than the remington. I'm going to do a complete comparison when I get to the range between the 3 bulk packs and cci mini mags..

Rys2k8Altima
02-13-2010, 21:16
Im going shooting again on Thur. with my wife. Ill try and save some brass. I only have about 50 rounds of the Remington left. Then its on to Federal.

Rys2k8Altima
02-14-2010, 12:51
I tore down the rifle again today. I didnt realize how much play that firing pin has in that channel. Im going to do something with it, I just dont know yet. I do think Im going to get a new firing pin though.

Rooster Rugburn
02-14-2010, 14:56
From what I've read, an expensive third party firing pin might not be worth it. I just bought another Ruger, and it happened to be a little longer, and the point was different.

I think pinning the firing pin is a good first step. Then keep some brass that fired and some misfires and compare.

If the rounds that don't fire don't appear to have a deep enough strike, then you could go with a stronger hammer spring, or stoning (put it on a knife sharpener) the back of the bolt. If you take a mm off the back of the bolt, that gives you a mm more penetration into the brass.

With mine, I would hold my firing pin flush with the back of the bolt and it just didn't appear to have enough depth in the strike. I may be mistaken.

If you want to be able to check it before going to the range, you can always take the bullet off a few rounds and drain the powder. The primer will sound like a mild firecracker, but you will then have a way of measuring your firing pin strike. If you did some before pinning the firing pin, or stoning the back of the bolt, you can measure your progress.

Also, if you remove the hammer spring, when you put it back in, make sure the slot in the retainer is up. Somehow, that effects the firing pin strike. That is one of the first things gurus advise to check for misfires.

Midway has a volquartsen hammer kit with a better hammer spring, a hammer, and the bolt release. That was money well spent.

mteagle1
02-14-2010, 18:41
I've had Remington buck pack fail in a 22/45, MKII comp, Beretta NEOS, Ruger 10/22 and S&W 617 so it is not gun model related. The latest problem with bulk ammo is its diminishing size Federal 375 and Winchester 333 or Federal 325 Auto match. The only 22 ammo available at my local Wal Mart was the Remington.

Rys2k8Altima
02-14-2010, 19:27
Well, I cleaned the firing pin channel. It seems alot better now, I put some dry lube in it and it seems to move really nicely too. Im thinking its just the ammo,but my Hi Standard really hasnt had a single issue with firing. I will try the whole removal of the powder thing first though

arclight610
02-14-2010, 21:51
Just went to the range yesterday. The only .22's that had FTF's were the Remington 350 Bulk Pack. I had probably 3 or 4 for 150 rds

slims00ls1z28
02-15-2010, 03:53
I've had quite a few remington ftf with the kids marlin m1's. One is old and needs some work but the other will empty 9 from other brands as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Bullseye300
02-15-2010, 04:41
I found a brick of Remington TARGET to try in Bullseye. One out of every ten rounds or so failed to fire. Removing the bullet and powder revealed a lack of primers. Worst $50 I have ever spent.
Bullseye

Ima19man
02-18-2010, 18:50
I want to pull the bullets out of my duds too! I have a whole jar! How do you do it without damagine the case? I get so nervous because I don't want it to discharge in my face.

Rys2k8Altima
02-18-2010, 19:55
Well I tried the Federal bulk today. I had a TON of Failure to fire in my Hi Standard, which normally eats everything. The 10/22 chewed up a fair amount, I probally had 1 issue with every 50 or 60 rounds.

GSSF17
02-18-2010, 19:58
Had probs today with Rem bulk GBs. Very weak loads that had a "sizzle" sound-- both out of my Mossberg 144 bolt action and a Henry Lever action. One out of 10 was a weak, slow, round.:steamed:

Switched to Federals and Win 333s and had no probs in either rifle, and then loaded the Walther P22 up a dozen times with federals- no hiccups.......:supergrin:

Rys2k8Altima
02-18-2010, 20:18
Last range visit, I had a similar Sizzle issue. But it was the sound of my flesh sizzleing as a crazy hot shell went down my shirt and cooked itself into my shoulder.

Rooster Rugburn
02-18-2010, 20:38
Rys2k8Altima,

What all have you done to your 10-22, and how is your firing pin strikes looking?

The sad thing about 22 these days if the variance from round to round. I've been shooting through Wolf and CCI and noticed differences in the report in the same 50 round box. CCI is the most consistent, but not above variances. Some of the most consistent for me so far, is the Winchester Wild Cat. I haven't finished the first brick, but so far, it seems to be consistent as far as report is concerned.

Bulk pack of any brand is especially bad. I shoot Winchester, Federal, and RGB, and have noticed differences from one round to the nest. I've shot probably 4 bulk packs of RGB in the last 4 months had haven't had the problems most are reporting here. That's out of my good rifles, not the 10/22.

I've always thought bulk pack was like the loose pack 5.56, it's the stuff that failed out of normal processing.

Rooster Rugburn
02-18-2010, 20:44
I want to pull the bullets out of my duds too! I have a whole jar! How do you do it without damagine the case? I get so nervous because I don't want it to discharge in my face.

Hold the brass with your fingers and use some needle nose or pliers to grab the bullet. I'll hold the round parallel to the ground, grab the bullet with some needle nose, and twist the lead down toward the ground. It takes a half second. I don't pull straight out, but I'm not trying to save the bullet either.

Don't worry about it popping. Without the chamber and barrel there won't be anything behind the bullet if it does. Using your fingers shouldn't be a problem. The bullet is seated very shallow, and the lead bends easily, so there isn't much torque required.

Rys2k8Altima
02-19-2010, 20:57
Well, My Hi Standard DOESNT like RGB. It doesnt really like Federal either. My 10-22 however, does seem to like . They were all sold out of Mini Mag's otherwise I would have tried that. All In all, I guess for 12 or 15 dollars for 550 rounds, I really cant complain to much about the federal. It just kinda sucks when your like pop pop pop click pop pop click. Just a bit embarrasing. Rooster, I do belive that its just crap rounds with no primer. I have saved 8 rounds that didnt fire. The weird thing was, the remingtons that didnt fire, seemed to have almost no damage to the rim. It was really weird. Ill try and take some pictures tomorrow

Rys2k8Altima
02-28-2010, 16:36
Quick update. I installed a new firing pin, along with a lighter hammer and installed the spring that came in the hammer kit. I did pull the lead out, and 2 out of the six rounds I kept, had NO primer in them. 1 round had no primer where it pin hit. The other 3 had no excuse. This pin looks really deep now. I should have any problem with light strikes now for sure. Thanks for all the help guys

Billet
02-28-2010, 21:29
I've had so many misfires with Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs in my Buck Marks and P22 that I no longer buy them.

Rooster Rugburn
02-28-2010, 22:09
RGB is not worth having. It's pretty obvious it is substandard ammo. In fact, we should spread the word far and wide to every gun board, and every shooter.

RGB IS the suck.

M2 Carbine
03-01-2010, 08:56
I've had so many misfires with Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs in my Buck Marks and P22 that I no longer buy them.
Last week I ran a bunch of Federal and Remington WM bulk pack through my S&W M&P and GSG-5 pistol and rifle. I'm getting an average of about 3-4 duds in a 22+ magazine with the Remington. None with the Federal.
I pulled the bullet on most of the duds and found the same problem, no primer.

Remington won't feed in my Buckmark or SIG 522.

Rys2k8Altima
03-01-2010, 19:28
Ill probally end up Getting more of the Winchester 333 Next time Im at Dicks. I probally had to FTF in the whole box with those... There were a bunch of duds however. Maybe Ill just buy some Mini Mags. I dont know.

Rooster Rugburn
03-01-2010, 20:10
You might have to get used to bad and inconsistent lots when buying bulk packs.

I'll say this, and not expect anyone to believe it. I bought a bulk pack of RGB at Dicks last Monday, and have since shot it. Not a single failure and I was very impressed and surprised that every round had a good, strong, consistent report. It's literally the best bulk pack I've shot in the last few months. I was surprised because of all I had read of the RGB. Even the old bulk packs didn't have the consistent, strong report the new one did. Now that was in my good rifles: Weatherby and Savage. When I was struggling with my 10/22 every brand was screwing up. I had Winchester, Federal, Wolf, and RGB to run through it. It all sucked.

It would be neat if we could decipher the lot codes for manufacture dates and compare what we all have.

I bought several bulk packs, various makes, a few years ago just to have on hand, and started shooting them when I started shooting .22LR last fall. I don't know if maybe there was a time slot of bad production or what, but RGB is getting a lot of bad reviews from very credible people. That's why I bought a new one last week, just for ****s and grins. I'm glad I did too. That was some good, strong stuff. But I won't be spreading that around other boards. I want Remington to get bad press on the boards. And, if it keeps people from buying it, more for me.

The old RGB bulk packs I had were a different shaped box. They were more upright where this one last week was a low rider, being lower and wider.

I don't expect much from any bulk pack though.

mboylan
03-01-2010, 21:53
Geez. Buy decent ammo. Federal 510 isn't that much more than the bulk stuff. CCI Standard can be had for $25/brick and it's really good.

trob
03-03-2010, 13:29
Has anybody had issues with the Remington Bulk packs with Failure to Fires?

.....its pretty well known as garbage.

Jeremy_K
03-03-2010, 13:40
My 10/22 hasn't liked bulk ammo since the day I got it. I stock up on the CCI at Walmart when they have it. I haven't had issues with CCI.

unit1069
03-03-2010, 14:25
I've had a lot more misfires with Remington ammo than any other bulk ammo.

Today I went to Wal-Mart looking for 9mm ammo and discovered they had CCI Stinger and Remington Yellow Jacket .22lr. I had never found either one until today.

I bought both and promptly went to the range since it's a nice warm day. I had maybe four misfires with 100 rounds of Yellow Jacket; none with Stinger. Gun: Ruger Mark II.

I had fifty rounds of Winchester High Velocity Super X; no misfires with that either. I shot one hundred rounds of Remington Golden Bullet bulk ammo I had left; had misfires again.

I have one 100-round box of Yellow Jacket left, and when that's gone I doubt I'll buy any more Remington .22lr ammo if there are other brands available. It's supposed to be a premium JHP .22lr ammo but it seems no different in power or reliability than Golden Bullet. Stinger was very nice, I might add. Expensive but nice.

BSA70
03-03-2010, 16:36
Remington is usually good stuff...

deadite
03-03-2010, 17:54

Nice try,....... Mr. Remington!

:whistling:

deadite

GSSF17
03-03-2010, 19:14

you mean prior to the last 18 months of primerless junk? Maybe.

Now it's exclusively 40 gr. Federal Auto Match for me, sir. And at 15 bucks a box for the 325 pack- every rimfire I own is loving every minute of it.

Thanks, though.:winkie:

Rys2k8Altima
03-04-2010, 09:08
Im have about 350 rounds of this Federal left. Then I think Ill just stick with Mini Mags. I cant seem to find them at Walmart though. I guess back to range prices again.

mitchshrader
03-04-2010, 09:19
That's just exactly my estimate. About 18 months ago QC went from the usual 'occasional FTF' to the leader of the pack. JUST before this ammo fell off the planet, and when it returned it was teh suck. Somewhere between 18 months ago and a couple years ago, Remington started doing something different, and I *think* it was a change in corporate ownership. Policy is set from the top, not the bottom, and if you sell good cheap ammo they won't buy the expensive good ammo you're selling with another brand. When one big holding company owns several smaller gun and ammunition companies, there's 'efficiency' gains by the lack of internal competition, and what that means is the customer gets stabbed in the back. I was a remington ammo guy for 40 years and this latest stupid move stopped me buying bulk Golden bullets nearly 2 years now. I paid more for mini mag solids, but yaano, they go bang. So, depending on who owns CCI this week, maybe it worked for them, and it was good business strategy.

But I won't forget it. Ever. Show me viable competition and I'm in.

pakettle
03-04-2010, 10:34
Has anybody had issues with the Remington Bulk packs with Failure to Fires? Last weekend, I shot about 350 to 400 rounds thru the 10/22 and about 5 out of every 25 didnt fire. It was really weird. I think It might be something to do with my firing pin, but I dont have any issues firing these thru my Hi Standard. I really like the Winchester 333 pack, except there seem to be alot of loose rounds in there. I just bought some federal 550 at wally world yesterday, and will be going to the range on thur to try those out. Anyhow, has anybody else had issues with the Remington Bulk?

No me, burned through a 550 pack last fri. with my neos, 2 ftf. Iv'e had more failures then that with mini mags.

DriBak
03-04-2010, 20:05
I hate Rem golden bullet bulk pack, it's dirty and I have high % of failure to fire, extract, feed etc.. in all my rimfires, even lever, pump and bolt guns

Rooster Rugburn
03-06-2010, 09:38
It's terrible ammo, TERRIBLE. Everyone should boycott Remington.

arclight610
03-06-2010, 16:09
I went to the range again today. I ran through about 100 rds of .22 (I know not much, but I guess enough to make a report). No misfires with Remington 350 LRN, however I did have a weak one that only cycled my Marlin 60 about halfway and caused a jam.

mboylan
03-07-2010, 15:28
you mean prior to the last 18 months of primerless junk? Maybe.

Now it's exclusively 40 gr. Federal Auto Match for me, sir. And at 15 bucks a box for the 325 pack- every rimfire I own is loving every minute of it.

Thanks, though.:winkie:

+1 Federal Automatch is the AM22 loading. It's just as good as the 510 loading. Can't see why people would buy junk when this stuff is that cheap.

Kentucky Shooter
03-07-2010, 15:41
I have two CZ's and they both love the remington golden bullet bulk pack, accurate and very functional. My rugers and marlins seem to prefer the federal bulk packs in terms of accuracy. Both have been good for me for the price, at least for plinking and overall cheap practice.

captcurly
03-07-2010, 16:04
I am not a fan of Remington 22 rimfire either bulk or regular. I have been using Federal bulk 22LR and it burns fairly clean and no other problems.

Rys2k8Altima
03-07-2010, 16:36
I almost bought more today, because they only had that at Wally World. Then I decided to stay away

BSA70
03-07-2010, 17:32
I just bought some remington bulk. Runs like a clock in all my guns....

GSSF17
03-07-2010, 18:42

You're lucky, brotha.........

Rys2k8Altima
03-07-2010, 19:07
Meaning you have to spin the shells round and round till you hit a spot with primer?

kirgi08
03-08-2010, 00:04

Do you have a "lot" number.'08.

steve1911
03-08-2010, 01:19
I shot some Remington 525 pack today, in my 10/22 out of 50 rds i had 6 misfires turned the shells so they would hopefully it some part of the primer, no luck.
then shot fed champions 50rds no problem, the "lot' number on the rems were 21250.

1911club#410

kirgi08
03-08-2010, 03:19
I shot some Remington 525 pack today, in my 10/22 out of 50 rds i had 6 misfires turned the shells so they would hopefully it some part of the primer, no luck.
then shot fed champions 50rds no problem, the "lot' number on the rems were 21250.

1911club#410

Can you/will you pull those rounds and look? I have a feeling that those rounds were pushed through ta meet market demand.My beef with Remy bulk started years ago and I'm guessing that A/your probs are due ta your above and my probs are due ta shotty otd work.

I've got OLD T-bolt ammo that won't fire and are primerless from the early/late 90s'.When it does fire it's the same as a BP weapon being fired.A lot of mess,at least most BP rifles do function and hit their POA.'08.

M2 Carbine
03-08-2010, 07:53
Just hold the case in one hand and with a pair of pliers twist the bullet sideways. It will easily come out of the case. The chances of it discharging are zero, unless you happen to be smoking and drop lit ashes in the case.

Then I dump the powder in my hand to look for the green primer material. I do this to see if by chance the green primer has broken loose from the base of the case. Once in a great while I see a little primer but never enough to have actually primed the case.

I'm starting on the second small bottle of unprimed cases, mostly Remington.

With the last 550 bulk pack of Remington I bought, in 25 rounds, I'm getting an average of two unprimed cases and a third case that will fire on the second primer strike, indicating a partially primed case.

I would switch to all Federal 55 bulk pack but some of my guns like Remington better than Federal. Also I probably have fifteen thousand, or more, Remington stocked up.

Rys2k8Altima
03-08-2010, 08:34
Who has tried the newly designed graphic box? I'm debating on trying it with my new firing pin. I had a ton of stovepipes with the federal box. It might have something to do with the hammer and hammer spring I installed though

Glockdomination
03-08-2010, 16:41
I quite using the Remington bulk packs long ago. Not worth it.

steve1911
03-08-2010, 23:16
Can you/will you pull those rounds and look? I have a feeling that those rounds were pushed through ta meet market demand.My beef with Remy bulk started years ago and I'm guessing that A/your probs are due ta your above and my probs are due ta shotty otd work.

I've got OLD T-bolt ammo that won't fire and are primerless from the early/late 90s'.When it does fire it's the same as a BP weapon being fired.A lot of mess,at least most BP rifles do function and hit their POA.'08.

Pulled the bullets three rds. did'nt even have the green primer material in them that i could see, others 3' had just little primer in the rds.

1911club#410

BSA70
03-19-2010, 09:25
All .22 bulk packs have increased in price at wally world. Even thunderbolts went up a buck. With material prices down, ammo demand waning, I think they are now price gouging.:crying:

BSA70
03-25-2010, 14:36
all my remingtons fired today

janice6
03-25-2010, 15:23
I consider Remington to be the very last of the worst rimfires. I shoot a S&W22S and about 1/3 are failure to fire. I buy Federal and I haven't had a missfire/dud in the last 1K.

Rooster Rugburn
03-26-2010, 10:08
all my remingtons fired today

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't feel the need to defend it.

Ever notice threads where boobs see xxx boxes of ammo, buy it all, and start a thread bragging about it? Then people wonder why ammo prices keep going up.

RGB is HORRIBLE ammo, TERRIBLE. It's the worst of the worst. EVERY lot code is bad mojo. 99 out of 100 rounds fail to fire and it gives 30" groups when it does. TERRIBLE stuff. People shouldn't buy it. In fact, they should spread the word to every gun board on the internet.

Rethink your position. Don't you think it sucks?

deadite
03-26-2010, 10:28
Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't feel the need to defend it.

Ever notice threads where boobs see xxx boxes of ammo, buy it all, and start a thread bragging about it? Then people wonder why ammo prices keep going up.

RGB is HORRIBLE ammo, TERRIBLE. It's the worst of the worst. EVERY lot code is bad mojo. 99 out of 100 rounds fail to fire and it gives 30" groups when it does. TERRIBLE stuff. People shouldn't buy it. In fact, they should spread the word to every gun board on the internet.

Rethink your position. Don't you think it sucks?

:rofl:

deadite

Rys2k8Altima
03-26-2010, 19:50
**** man... I just realized that I hadnt gone shooting in almost 20 days! Damnit... I did go trap shooting 2 weeks ago, but I dont think that counts. Hopefully Ill get out this Thursday. Has anybody else noticed a shortage of Mini Mags?

deadite
03-26-2010, 19:57
Has anybody else noticed a shortage of Mini Mags?

I lucked out the other night at the Super-Wally World and found 2 boxes of HP Mini-Mags for around $6.00 a piece.

deadite

Rys2k8Altima
03-28-2010, 10:01
I cant find them anywhere. Sucks!

GSSF17
03-28-2010, 11:03
.........and to think the gunshow mall ninjas are still paying 25 bucks a box for RGBs absolutely kills me. I went to a small show yesterday and the ammo pricing on 22lr was ridiculous. They wanted 15 bucks for Winchester 333 pack. Wally-world has them (win 333s) stacked up for 9 bucks.

I heard a vendor telling a guy that RGBs are "top of the line" and 25 bucks for 550 was a "deal"- so much so that the vendor "wasn't making much on them at all". He had the customer eating out of his hand.

Idiots.....:shocked:

Rys2k8Altima
03-28-2010, 11:08
I can only get 333 boxes for 15 dollars here. 9 would be awesome!

NEtracker
03-30-2010, 09:10
The Rem stuff is really junk.
The one thing it was good for was for my students to practice recovery from misfires....

Rys2k8Altima
03-31-2010, 14:33
I FINALLY found some Mini Mags at Gander Mtn. I was there looking at a Ruger LCP, and for some reason, I just got this feeling like I should walk down the ammo aisle. They have 2 boxes of it! I was soo excited.

Flipz
03-31-2010, 15:01
Ive fired more then a full box of Rem GB 525's out of my Glock 17 with AA .22lr kit on it and havent had a single dud. I have had some bullets that were a little loose in their brass cases, but all rounds fired. Well, except for the few that were bent when they jammed loading. Those rounds were thrown in the live round bucket.

Personally I havent experienced all the horrible problems that others have. Not saying they dont exist. Just saying I havent had any problems with them. The only problem Ive had with them is that they fire really dirty. You can even see it in the smoke cloud how dirty they fire. I only had 1 or 2 in the full box that fired with a low report, under charged. Theres a good chance that I got lucky and just got a good batch. Im still gonna buy more cause they function great with my AA kit. Infact, they function better then CCI Mini's even though thats hard to believe.

Gonna try them out in my new Sig P226 .22lr Conversion kit this weekend and see how they do. Incase they dont function well Im gonna bring a couple bricks of CCI Mini's and Federal 550's.

Rooster Rugburn
03-31-2010, 18:47
Ive fired more then a full box of Rem GB 525's out of my Glock 17 with AA .22lr kit on it and havent had a single dud.

Oh, I get it. You didn't have a single dud, you had hundreds of them. (see post 65).

RGB has gained a poor rep all across the web and it's the only brand I can consistently find on shelves. All those posters cannot be wrong. It's TERRIBLE ammo. The worst of the worst. I would encourage everyone to stay away from it completely and forever.

Flipz
04-01-2010, 09:31
Oh, I get it. You didn't have a single dud, you had hundreds of them. (see post 65).

RGB has gained a poor rep all across the web and it's the only brand I can consistently find on shelves. All those posters cannot be wrong. It's TERRIBLE ammo. The worst of the worst. I would encourage everyone to stay away from it completely and forever.
Thats right, I didnt have a single dud. Next time, read my entire post before replying to it. I stated that there is a good chance that I just got lucky with the boxes I purchased. But NO, I didnt have a single dud in more than 525 rounds. I even said that I do not disbelieve those who have had problems. Im sure they did, but I didnt. Personally, I only speak from my experience with them and not what others have said. Am I gonna buy more? Yes. If later on I find that I am getting a significant amount of duds I will stop buying them. But until it happens to me, Im gonna use them.

deadite
04-01-2010, 13:29
Thats right, I didnt have a single dud. Next time, read my entire post before replying to it. I stated that there is a good chance that I just got lucky with the boxes I purchased. But NO, I didnt have a single dud in more than 525 rounds. I even said that I do not disbelieve those who have had problems. Im sure they did, but I didnt. Personally, I only speak from my experience with them and not what others have said. Am I gonna buy more? Yes. If later on I find that I am getting a significant amount of duds I will stop buying them. But until it happens to me, Im gonna use them.

Miss the joke? :)

deadite

Road Hog
04-11-2010, 00:13
I shoot a lot of Rem bulk in my Glock 17 AA kit. Some lots are good, some bad, I guess. My first bulk box though the AA 22 conversion was garbage with frequent FTF. I bought 3000 rounds of Rem bulk recently from Cabelas and not a FTF that I can remember and I have shot about 40% of 'em. A good batch. I too shoot a lot of 22 and CCI is much more expensive. I am shooting Win bulk in my M&P 15-22 and it shoots very well for bulk. No FTF problems with Win Expert HV.

stopatrain
04-16-2010, 20:28
I don't find Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs any worse than the other bulk pack junk.
It's hard for me to say which is worse. I've had trouble with them all.

unit1069
04-26-2010, 17:20
I had the chance to stop at the range today and fire off 100 rounds of .22lr.

It was Remington Yellow Jacket, one of their "premium" .22lr rounds. I had three misfires out of 100, which is a good indication that Remington is not paying attention to quality control in any of their .22lr ammo.

Twisted Steel
04-26-2010, 18:23
Remington knows that ANYTHING on the shelves is going to sell. They don't have to make it better. Just make it profitable.

got_metal
04-26-2010, 19:50
I didnt read the whole post so someone may have mentioned something similar, but in my experience the Rem bulk packs may be a little under powered as well as producing tons of duds. I have an old Mossberg 151M 22lr tube fed mag that LOVES federal lightning, federal bulk packs, and of course cci's. Very few malfunctions, if any at all. The Rem. bulk packs wont make it 2 or 3 shots without either misfiring(sometimes) or failing to produce enough energy to re-engage the sear(mostly). The Rem's do work well through bolt actions though. Its also very dirty ammo, Federal ammo seems much cleaner. Think I'll be sticking with Federal for the most part.

k9Glock
04-27-2010, 02:20
I normally shoot Federals and winchesters out of my two Spikes St22s. Last week I picked up a box of the Remington GB 525 pack and tried it out at the range today. I couldn't get them to run at all. I got FTFs every 2-3 rounds. I emptied the rounds from the mag and threw them back in the box.:steamed:

GSSF17
04-27-2010, 05:55
I sold all my GBs for 10 bucks/ box because I was so disappointed. I even told the guy that they did not work well for me and that they are definitely not what they used to be. He wanted GBs, so oh well.:dunno:

I stick with Federal bulk 550 or Federal Auto Match almost exclusively now. Very happy. Also have had pretty decent luck with Winchester 333 packs available at the local WM.

BSA70
04-27-2010, 11:58
3 out of 100 aint bad. $10 a box, I would buy every one you had. I have 1000s of remington rounds for my aa kit on the glock. They run flawlessly, might be your gun.

GSSF17
04-27-2010, 14:14
might be your gun.

Or guns. Or not at all. Between mine and my friends' plinkers, I doubt 11 different weapons all experienced issues. Not to mention these issues, FTEs, weak loads, and the infamous "click"- later discovered to be no primer - almost completely disappeared when we all quit using Rem GBs. Don't get me wrong- GBs were my favorite 3 years ago.

...but like many things that were and never will be again- that was 3 years ago.

If it works for you, great! Glad you are having good luck with them. Me and my buddies, however, have lost patience.

firebird400
04-30-2010, 21:00
i had a lot of failure to fire problems with remington 525 pack while shooting steel challenge match.called the factory and they had me send them back and replaced them with new production 550 packs which work better but still going to federal hoping for better quality and no misfires

Glock 17L
04-30-2010, 23:30
I too have done away with Remington gold bulk 22 & now only use the Federal 550 bulk in my Ruger MKII & 10/22..
It seems to me that the wax or lubricant cakes up in the chamber & causes the problems..
The Federal works well for me & the copper washed bullet seems to help but wish it wasn't hollow point..

My Rugers MKII & 10/22
http://www.paulzintgunsmith.com/sitebuilder/images/GarySutter2-600x275.jpg

COLDSTEEL165
08-06-2010, 03:49
I am using Rem yellow jackets in my 22 rifle & no problems at all.

snowcrash75
08-06-2010, 10:26
no problems with the 525 bricks here, either. AA g17 kit loves em. I did have some feeding issues in the first brick, but once the mag springs broke in a little, no issues since. I'd say I have a dud every 100 rds-ish, but nothing as like what is described here.

finz50
08-17-2010, 20:31
The bulk packs are garbage...that's why I love them! They work perfect for teaching new shooters the "Tap, Rack, Bang" drill......

BSA70
08-21-2010, 13:53
Love remington bulk!

Dan
08-22-2010, 18:55
I never had any luck with it. I think I gave most of it away.

kirgi08
08-22-2010, 23:56
Love remington bulk!

Your a lucky one then.'08.

MajorD
09-13-2010, 18:49
never judge a 22 by it's performance with remington bulk 22. my experience is just about ANY 22 ammo will do better than thunder bolts. Many 22's have ammo preferences anyway, so never mess with the gun until you have eliminated ammop as the source of the problem