Century arms?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Century arms??

_Recon_
02-13-2010, 00:26
What do you guys think of their AK's??

Mide
02-13-2010, 00:49
They are usually considered pretty low in terms of quality.

Quiet
02-13-2010, 08:41
Century International Arms AK kit guns = what a bunch of drunken monkeys could have done.

LSU Snapperhead
02-13-2010, 08:54
I have read about low quality. but I have 2 century rifles, a 1975 g and a wasr. I have had no issues, except they eat alot of ammo.:whistling:

cricketdave
02-13-2010, 09:03
hi, i've got one seems just like any other ak to me, shoots really well hasn't ever had a jam, spits emptys along way. and the best part it cost about 350 bucks.

cricket

my762buzz
02-13-2010, 16:07
What do you guys think of their AK's??

If they actually have a hand in doing anything to them, that is where issues occur. If its one they imported and only distributed and did not monkey with, then there should be no problem. The Wasr 10 low cap rifles are unmolested but still not the best quality to begin with. The wasr 10 century high cap conversions are molested and have a higher probability of some additional problem unrelated to Romania itself being present because Lestor, Hestor and Bubba are not required to cut the magwell perfectly and are busy checking out the new receptionist with the DD cup size implants while they should be paying attention to what they are cutting on the rifle. So quality control suffers from lack of consistent workmanship. The unmolested guns are not the issue and I never here complaints with these.

CarlosC
02-13-2010, 16:18
If they actually have a hand in doing anything to them, that is where issues occur. If its one they imported and only distributed and did not monkey with, then there should be no problem. The Wasr 10 low cap rifles are unmolested but still not the best quality to begin with. The wasr 10 century high cap conversions are molested and have a higher probability of some additional problem unrelated to Romania itself being present because Lestor, Hestor and Bubba are not required to cut the magwell perfectly and are busy checking out the new receptionist with the DD cup size implants while they should be paying attention to what they are cutting on the rifle. So quality control suffers from lack of consistent workmanship. The unmolested guns are not the issue and I never here complaints with these.

:thumbsup: And think about this...those really nice Yugo AKs are Century rifles. The work they contract out from the kits they import is well done, but the work they do in-house suffers from poor quality. I sometimes wonder if they even realize the (bad) reputation they have earned over the years from their own spotty workmanship. I'd love to get a job their as their head of QC. Nothing like the challenge of having Century synonymous with Quality.

I obviously own a few Century rifles, including AKs, and whether they build their own guns or not is readily apparent. Every once in a while however, you do get lucky.

I have a Romanian G rifle that is really nicely machined, so I can't say all Romanians are substandard. The Romanian WASR series, even if Century did not touch them, are lacking in quality to begin with, or so it seems.

my762buzz
02-13-2010, 16:48
I'd love to get a job their as their head of QC. Nothing like the challenge of having Century synonymous with Quality.

If you want that job, your going to have to fight this guy for it.
He already said hes not leaving the easiest recession proof job in the world
alive.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/41669/41669_1123607620.jpg

table
02-21-2010, 00:12
they do have a rep of being on the low end of AKs. i think its due to their volume. i have also heard they have great customer service. most people who have a problem with their rifle send it back and it gets fixed. just takes a few weeks. i'm thinking of buying one of their Yugo M70AB2 from a local dealer here that also has a good reputation. don't think i can go wrong.

graveman
02-21-2010, 01:28
Their Yugos are very nice, I own one of the underfolders, no issues.
Their new NDS-2 Bulgarian AK-74's are nice for the money, although the finish leaves a lot to be desired. I own one. Surprisingly accurate and issue free.
The WASR's are hit and miss on the low end of the spectrum, meaning that you will usually hit a BAD one. But it's more of an issue with the fact that the WASR's were originally narrow mag well rifles that have been opened up.
The most problematic Century AK is in my opinion the Tantal. Quite a few have the US made wrong twist barrels, made out of 223 blanks at that.

toshbar
02-21-2010, 20:26
I think I got lucky on the WASR high cap. FSB, gas block and front trunion are all straight. Never had a problem with it. I worked on the furniture one weekend and it actually looks good. just keep it slick with some napa 30 weight and all is well.

goodale
02-21-2010, 22:04
they are fine! i've got 2 of them and they are accurate and run like champs, just as good as my milled mak90's. theyre not as pretty and have some tapco parts so AK snobs rag on them. i'm sure there's been a crap one here and there but, every other gun company has issues with their products too from time to time. i say go for it, its an AK for $350. i think that is the charm of military guns, the scratches, dings and imperfections give them personality and you dont have to be worried about being rough with them. AK's are like fat chicks, nothing to look at but are great F#%k's.

JTLIII
02-21-2010, 22:40
I love my century AK. I have the WASR and it's never failed me. the finish sucks, but otherwise, GREAT Rifle

Aceman
02-22-2010, 08:53
First of all, 80% of the issue is fit & finish. The next 10% are easily adjustable things like sight/gas tube cant (anoyying but changeable). After that, assorted more critical things.

But it is alo the cheapest AK you will find. And a functioning one is just as good as any other AK - function wise. Accuracy is usually not going to be stellar at twice the price.

I have one that I like just fine. Had a little mag wobble. easy fix with tabs + jb weld, or works great with Promag-Tapco.

All for 1/4 the price of a mediocre AR.

RWBlue
02-22-2010, 09:45
They have been hit or miss on QC for a long time.

The Yugo builds were out sourced and are pretty good.

Some of their other AK builds are non functional. But most are good.

Mike5560
02-23-2010, 09:07
My WASR was my first gun from century through a gunshop. A lot of problems (Romanian WASRs only, don't know about Yugos) they have is trigger slap, canted sights/ gas blocks, and magazine wobble for the high capacity magazines. Mine had all but trigger slap.
Online tutorials will teach you how to fix these things, just takes some work.
I got it for $270, fixed all the problems....and has probably close to 10,000 rounds through it. I honestly can't remember if I ever did have any malfunctions but probably less than 3 if there was.

Finish is going to be about bottom of the barrel, parkerized finish is less than perfect but less than terrible.

Look elsewhere if you want a museum piece or anything close to it. I bought it to sling lead at $2.65 a box (then) and for nostalgia purposes, and didn't mind tooling around with it, and it fits the bill. I still like it about as much as my Arsenal.

toshbar
02-23-2010, 11:59
I forgot to mention that my magazine wobbles too, but I dun care.

I might superglue some pennies in there to shim it up.......

J. Parker
02-23-2010, 12:55
I picked up a Romy G model GP1975 from Century. Looks great and works perfect. Me happy.:supergrin:

BigNic
02-23-2010, 13:29
I've never had a single problem with my WASR.

scottMO
02-24-2010, 23:18
What about a Draco Pistol? are they just the importers of this gun, or do they make changes to it, increasing the odds of problems?

Leathernecker
02-25-2010, 22:04
I've got a Century Tantel. So far, no problems.

I'm quite surprised since if you read too many internet forums, you will start to believe that this is the worst AK-74 in history.

toshbar
02-25-2010, 22:11
I've got a Century Tantel. So far, no problems.

I'm quite surprised since if you read too many internet forums, you will start to believe that this is the worst AK-74 in history.
you mean because a bunch of them came with .223 barrels?:whistling:

Under8ted
02-26-2010, 04:21
Draco pistols do not require a new receiver or any USA parts for that matter due to it being a pistol.

I own a WASR and a Yugo UnderFolder. The WASR is like that old dog. She may not look pretty, but she is loyal as hell.

I sanded the stock and foregrips. She cleans up nicely. If you want to shoot past 200 yards accurately, get a $1000 ar. WASR is the best starter rifle for your money. Semi auto goodness at a price one can afford.

RWBlue
02-26-2010, 12:13
you mean because a bunch of them came with .223 barrels?:whistling:

I thought is was because some had very very bad barrels. They were unable to hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.

graveman
02-26-2010, 14:01
I thought is was because some had very very bad barrels. They were unable to hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.

223 barrels with 1:9 twist ..... most of the first batches of Century Tantals had these. I was unfortunate enough to own one and I promptly returned it to the shop. When it wasn't keyholing ( only with Wolf ammo, the military rounds would hit the target sideways ) , it would PATTERN ( yes, not GROUP ) about 6 inches at 25 m.
From what I have heard the newer ones do have 5.45 barrels but still 1:9 twist which won't stabilize the military rounds......

Aceman
02-27-2010, 11:18
Lack of stability is what the 5.56/5.45 is all about for effectiveness.

graveman
02-27-2010, 13:38
Lack of stability is what the 5.56/5.45 is all about for effectiveness.

Yes, once it impacts the target. The problem I am addressing is lack of stability IN the barrel which affects accuracy ..... ya know, like 7.62x39 ammo loaded with .308 dia bullets instead of .310 ......
5.45 out of a proper 5.45 barrel with 1:7...something twist ( a non-US made one ) does NOT "pattern" at 25 yards like that Century Tantal did