Folding stock for 6920? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Folding stock for 6920?

Kith
02-13-2010, 17:28
Yo -

So i'll be picking up a Colt 6920 in a few days, and i've been trying to find a folding stock for it, instead of the collapsible one it comes with.

I have had 0 success.

Does it even exist?

If someone can point me in the direction of finding folding stocks for this I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

RMTactical
02-13-2010, 17:34
You cannot have a folding stock on an AR15. The bolt carrier group goes from the receiver to the buffer tube when you are firing.

Kith
02-13-2010, 17:35
Haven't had the chance to play with one yet, so mechanically have little idea how it works.

Thanks for the quick answer, and is a good reason why I can't find one.

Spiffums
02-13-2010, 19:53
You need a Piston gun for that and I think Para makes an AR with a folding stock..........but hey its not an AK or a HK.

nipperwolf
02-13-2010, 19:57
You need a Piston gun for that

:upeyes:

Kith
02-13-2010, 20:08
Moving beyond handguns and shotguns is a new realm for me. When I was growing up, and in scouts, there were plenty of handguns around, and we fired off shotguns a lot.

As I got older, again, there were plenty of handguns around, and enough of my friends have shotguns where there was never a need for me personally to get one to play around.

The only rifles I have experience with were .22 rifles I shot in boy scouts. Which isn't saying much...I know.

I suppose if i'd waited until I actually got the 6920, i'd have never made this posting, because i'd have seen immediately it was not possible.

Two of my friends have folding stocks on their shotguns, and I can't tell you how impressed I am by them. My immediate response now is to look for a folding stock for anything that has a stock.

It was a natural next step with a mid-range rifle like what i'm purchasing it just sucks it won't work. Ah well.

I'd assume when I move to the next step and get a long range firearm, I wouldn't even consider a folding or collapsible stock for it, but that's a long way off. I'll want to play with this rifle for a while before I move my range bigger, especially since there are other handguns and shotguns I wanna get first.

I doub't i'll get another mid-range rifle like an AK before I get a long range rifle, and that'll be a money pit when it happens. Just a shame that I can't use a folding stock with the 6920. Truth be told, i'm a little let down from the reality check...but i'm sure i'll like it after I go run a few mags through the barrel.

lawman800
02-14-2010, 03:28
You can fold it but it won't fire since the bolt has nowhere to go without the buffer tube that sticks out from the rear.

USMC03
02-14-2010, 05:24
As others have mentioned you can't put a folding stock on a AR15. However there are numerous different quality aftermarket collapsable stocks on the market:

http://03designgroup.com/photo/ar15-buttstock-considerations/icon-ar15-buttstock-considerations.jpg
03designgroup | AR15 Buttstock Considerations http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations)

wellcraft
02-14-2010, 07:51
if you're not hellbent on purchasing the 6920 you can buy a AR15 style rifle with a side folding stock. olympic arms makes the oa93 with side folder or you can buy an upper from a company called ZZM. with the zzm you can use any ar15 lower but the zzm uppers are expensive and cost just as much as some complete rifles. if you're willing to buy a non-ar15 style rifle para-ordnance just came out with a side folding rifle or you could buy a SIG 556. i've heard the para costs around 2K but you can get a sig 556 for around 1500.

lawman800
02-14-2010, 08:30
if you're not hellbent on purchasing the 6920 you can buy a AR15 style rifle with a side folding stock. olympic arms makes the oa93 with side folder or you can buy an upper from a company called ZZM. with the zzm you can use any ar15 lower but the zzm uppers are expensive and cost just as much as some complete rifles. if you're willing to buy a non-ar15 style rifle para-ordnance just came out with a side folding rifle or you could buy a SIG 556. i've heard the para costs around 2K but you can get a sig 556 for around 1500.

Sig is also having that $300 rebate right now. At those prices, you should buy TWO!

Glockdude1
02-14-2010, 08:35
The Para TTR (Tactical Target Rifle) is a AR rifle with a side folding stock. Not cheap.
http://www.para-usa.com/new/images/product_photo/rifle_TTR-XA_large01.jpg
MSRP $2397

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_rifle_large.php?id=1&PHPSESSID=de74f6c4da87987cbbbc2855e54280a1

:cool:

MrMurphy
02-16-2010, 01:51
Folding stocks were the "in" thing in 1940. Even 1960.

Learn more about fighting with a rifle, and how the rifle is designed, before going on a folding stock binge. I've used and carried several rifles with folding stocks. I'll take an M4 type collapsing stock any time......they fit you, not the other way around.

German and Italian troops were always jealous of our M4s for that reason among others.

Folding stocks are nice for storage, but a collapser gets nearly as compact. And it's a hell of a lot better for shooting in body armor or cold/wet weather gear. Folding stocks were all the rage in WW2 because of paratroopers and jumping out of planes, or working in armored vehicles.

lawman800
02-16-2010, 02:55
You know folding stocks are important to the civilians who operate in the tight confines of an apartment or suburban tract housing.:whistling:

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 07:44
You can fold it but it won't fire since the bolt has nowhere to go without the buffer tube that sticks out from the rear.

Theoretically you can still fire it, but the carrier/bolt assembly will have an abrupt stop at the non-spring loaded buffer which is his face. :rofl:

Not highly recommended :faint:

lawman800
02-16-2010, 13:32
Theoretically you can still fire it, but the carrier/bolt assembly will have an abrupt stop at the non-spring loaded buffer which is his face. :rofl:

Not highly recommended :faint:

Very true... I was thinking the BCG would have fallen out a long time ago or that he would have put a cap in there to stop it from falling out, like a quarter or something. Then he would have to use the "face to spring" technique to stop the bolt.

JBJ16
02-16-2010, 13:37
Very true... I was thinking the BCG would have fallen out a long time ago . . . . . . . . . . . Then he would have to use the "face to spring" technique to stop the bolt.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: