Disappointed in DuraCoat so far. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in DuraCoat so far.

Glockster_221
02-13-2010, 19:24
I've been extremely interested in DuraCoating my future Gen. 4 G17 in a light beige color. I have searched the internet with a fine-tooth comb of all the pictures of guns coated in Desert Beige with DuraCoat. There are quite a few, to my surprise. I have put in 6 hours in comparing and contrasting the DuraCoat colors on the Lauer Weaponry website.

I did some posting and private messaging and I found out about some reputable guys who are professional DuraCoaters. I found a guy that I like (I was recommended to him by a cool dude here on GT). This is it: http://www.oakridgecustomfinishing.com/index.html.

Anyhow, someone PMed me and told me to contact Lauer Weaponry directly as I couldn't quite find the particular shade of beige I wanted. I e-mailed Lauer Weaponry and they were eager to send me 10 samples of duracoated paper in the colors of my choice, ABSOLUTELY free. I was thrilled. I put in my order and they arrived in the mail today.

I am sorely, sorely disappointed. The colors on the paper look almost nothing like they do on the website. ACU Light Tan, a very light beige color on the website, has a notable green hue to it. Magpul FDE looks NOTHING like the actual Flat Dark Earth Magpul produces. The color from Duracoat looks like a fresh morning dung instead of a brown/beige color.

Multi beige looks downright brown. The only one that seemed OK was Tactical Desert Beige, but far too dark. I will post pics soon.

I then contacted LW to order some more samples at $.25 a piece. This was fine and fair, but they wanted $4 for shipping. Bull crap! The envelope I received the samples in today has a postage sticker of $1.90 on it! This was the second disappointment from LW.

I replied and stipulated that I only pay $1.90 for the shipping plus the samples I wanted. They have yet to reply.

Don't get me wrong, most of the DuraCoated firearms I've seen on the Internet look absolutely fantastic, and I fully intend to DuraCoat my weapon. The color samples are disappointing and their advertisement misleading, is all.

Comments, thoughts?

theNAST1EST
02-13-2010, 19:28
Perhaps you should be thankful you've done your research.

I'd rather be disappointed in a few pieces of paper than my gun.

vafish
02-13-2010, 19:34
It's tough to match colors with what you see on your computer monitor.

Getting the color chips is the only way to know what it really will look like. You are smart to order them before you have your gun finished.

The shipping charges that companies charge is not only the actual shipping but also for something for the packaging and the persons time to pack it up.

You knew ahead of time that the shipping charge was $5, you agreed to pay it when you placed the order. Honor your agreement and pay up.

Glockster_221
02-13-2010, 19:34
Perhaps you should be thankful you've done your research.

I'd rather be disappointed in a few pieces of paper than my gun.

Amen to that. I am pretty thorough in my research for most of the things I buy, anyhow. Especially if they are pricey investments.

Still, I will wait to see what their lightest beige/tan colors look like before I decide on a color.

Glockster_221
02-13-2010, 19:38
You knew ahead of time that the shipping charge was $5, you agreed to pay it when you placed the order. Honor your agreement and pay up.

You misunderstood me. The first 10 samples are FREE, no shipping charges. Any additional samples are $0.25 a piece plus shipping. I was surprised that they wanted to charge me $4 for the new prints I wanted (three more colors) as shipping pieces of paper costs next to nothing. I received the envelope today (THE 10 FREE SAMPLES) and the postage is only $1.90. I understand what you mean about the additional cost of packing and whatnot.

$4 is nothing, it's the principle I'm concerned about, i.e, being misleading.

Markasaurus
02-13-2010, 19:43
how about giving cera-kote a try? I have read good things about it. (Dura-kote is nothing more then very high grade industrial epoxy paint.)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26563/Product/CERAKOTE_trade__CERAMIC_COATINGS

It requires to be baked on but it says "

"Hardener and paint chemically bond into an ultra-thin coating that applies onto almost any surface for a clean, professional finish. Apply with your airbrush or HVLP touch-up gun for a smooth finish. Oven Cure Kit requires oven baking for 2 hours at 250 for optimal cure or 1 hour at 300 for quick cure. For heat-sensitive materials such as plastics, a 2 hour cure at 200 is adequate. Oven Cure Refill allows you to order more paint and hardener only. Air Dry requires no baking and is tack free in 40 minutes, completely dry in 24 hours, and is fully cured in 5 days. Available in Graphite Black, O.D. Green, Coyote Tan, Stainless, and Sniper Gray. "

kennjen
02-13-2010, 21:47
I understand your disappointment in colors not matching your expectation, but it doesn't sound like their fault. I'll echo what some others have said..

1)
They even sent you 10 freebees. They are asking for cost + reasonable handling fee for further samples. Envelopes don't stuff and get mailed by themselves, you know ?

2)Regarding the color on monitors, getting color duplication on varying manufacture of monitors is impossible. It requires special software and hardware to do that.

Again, Understand the disappointment, but the additional anger seems misdirected. Laure people seem to have done a reasonable job getting you the sample you needed.

Glockster_221
02-13-2010, 23:01
I understand your disappointment in colors not matching your expectation, but it doesn't sound like their fault. I'll echo what some others have said..

1)
They even sent you 10 freebees. They are asking for cost + reasonable handling fee for further samples. Envelopes don't stuff and get mailed by themselves, you know ?

2)Regarding the color on monitors, getting color duplication on varying manufacture of monitors is impossible. It requires special software and hardware to do that.

Again, Understand the disappointment, but the additional anger seems misdirected. Laure people seem to have done a reasonable job getting you the sample you needed.

I would agree with you. I have agreed to pay them the $4 for the new samples. I'm just disappointed in the colors. Although maybe because it's on paper and not metal. I don't know. I'm still inclined to get it sprayed in Desert Beige if they can make it really flat.

faawrenchbndr
02-14-2010, 06:33
I must disagree with the OP.

Gary at Oakridge Custom Finishing did more than one project for me.
I did choose a different color than you are looking at. I had him spray
MagPul Foliage Green, it was a perfect match for MagPul's CTR stock,
grip and rail covers.

Gary can match a color, you just need to send him a sample of what you want.
Pieces of paper, pictures on a computer screen are NOT going to match an
actual part/piece in your hand.

Good luck in your search.

Glockster_221
02-14-2010, 06:38
I must disagree with the OP.

Gary at Oakridge Custom Finishing did more than one project for me.
I did choose a different color than you are looking at. I had him spray
MagPul Foliage Green, it was a perfect match for MagPul's CTR stock,
grip and rail covers.

Gary can match a color, you just need to send him a sample of what you want.
Pieces of paper, pictures on a computer screen are NOT going to match an
actual part/piece in your hand.

Good luck in your search.

My post said nothing about Gary's establishment. In fact, I plan on getting my firearm sprayed there despite of the shortcomings of LW.

Thanks.

Glockster_221
02-14-2010, 07:16
Faawrenchbndr, you're always in the Duracoat threads man, haha.

Cool to see you have a keen interest in it.

MySiK26
02-14-2010, 07:19
Like FAA said, if you can find a sample you like, Gary can match it for you. I have a G23 done by him in Foliage Green...very nice job and its held up VERY well. Good luck in your search and keep us updated.

faawrenchbndr
02-14-2010, 07:21
Faawrenchbndr, you're always in the Duracoat threads man, haha.

Cool to see you have a keen interest in it.

Hopefully I am more of a help than a hinderance!:whistling:

Glockster_221
02-14-2010, 07:23
Hopefully I am more of a help than a hinderance!:whistling:

Haha. You've been a big help so far, brother.

49erRider
02-14-2010, 08:49
Shipping and HANDLING. You agreed to pay $4 so don't complain about it. Also every single monitor is going to look different so be glad you got the samples.

Useless whining.

Cineski
02-14-2010, 09:48
What 49er said. Also, people pay good money to get their monitors calibrated so what they're seeing on the monitor looks exactly like what they'll be printing or getting. Is yours calibrated?

shineybore
02-14-2010, 10:09
What 49er said. Also, people pay good money to get their monitors calibrated so what they're seeing on the monitor looks exactly like what they'll be printing or getting. Is yours calibrated?

+10,000 to that! Mine was calibrated at the factory so that when I bid on stuff from Gunbroker or Ebay I know exactly what I'm getting.:rofl:

The shipping and handling thing is a joke. I look at what people charge for shipping and laugh my a** off. It's another little money maker. Extra coin in your pocket. Can't blame a crook for trying.:dunno:

I worked for a company years ago that sold products to the public. That being said the profit from the sale's went to pay the bills and keep the company running. They were more than happy to ship samples free of charge and cover shipping to pursue the sale of the products. They company is still working to this day and very profitable. Nowadays I don't see how some of these companies stay in buisness. They charge for everything and even charge for shipping "paper"samples at an inflated price. So many other companies supply smilar products I would check them out. Your dollar is your dollar.

bushjumper
02-16-2010, 22:40
I then contacted LW to order some more samples at $.25 a piece. This was fine and fair, but they wanted $4 for shipping. Bull crap! The envelope I received the samples in today has a postage sticker of $1.90 on it! This was the second disappointment from LW.

I replied and stipulated that I only pay $1.90 for the shipping plus the samples I wanted. They have yet to reply.

Comments, thoughts?

I think $4.00 is a reasonable fee to cover their costs to produce, package, and ship the samples. Here's the thing. LW is not in the business to sell paper samples. They are in the business to sell their products. They already give out 10 free samples to anyone who asks. The $4.00 is a way to help recover some costs and keep the yahoo's who will keep ordering samples and never order product away.

If it were me, I would give free samples only to people who presented a copy of a business license from their municipality. I'd charge everyone else. Don't think I'd lose many sales from it either. So i'd say LW is doing a good deed and you should stop whining.

Glockster_221
02-16-2010, 22:53
I think $4.00 is a reasonable fee to cover their costs to produce, package, and ship the samples. Here's the thing. LW is not in the business to sell paper samples. They are in the business to sell their products. They already give out 10 free samples to anyone who asks. The $4.00 is a way to help recover some costs and keep the yahoo's who will keep ordering samples and never order product away.

If it were me, I would give free samples only to people who presented a copy of a business license from their municipality. I'd charge everyone else. Don't think I'd lose many sales from it either. So i'd say LW is doing a good deed and you should stop whining.

After doing some thinking, I think you guys are right. $4 is really not that bad a charge for producing, handling, packaging, and shipping the samples. I went ahead and ordered from there anyhow.

But you guys are missing my main point: the colors looks almost nothing like they do on the website. That's not whining, that's cold hard evidence that I can see with my own two eyes.

Glockster_221
02-16-2010, 22:54
Now I'm waiting on Desert Beige, Marsh, and Stone.

I'm anxious to see whether there is an appreciable difference between Tactical Desert Beige and regular Desert Beige.

bushjumper
02-18-2010, 00:06
After doing some thinking, I think you guys are right. $4 is really not that bad a charge for producing, handling, packaging, and shipping the samples. I went ahead and ordered from there anyhow.

But you guys are missing my main point: the colors looks almost nothing like they do on the website. That's not whining, that's cold hard evidence that I can see with my own two eyes.

On this I agree with you. based on the looks of their website I don't think they actually photographed any of their colors. it looks like they used photoshops color picker and input the color values that best matched their formula.

your best bet is to look for actual photos of finished guns and find out what colors were used.

M4J0R T0M
02-18-2010, 22:48
Why not give it a try yourself? That's what I'm doing. If you have the time, talent, and space, you can save a lot of money. So far, I've got the space, still working on the other two.:upeyes:

hoffy
02-19-2010, 00:10
:supergrin:Had to say it, besides I got an older G-21 that has some serious holster burn I been thinking about doing something about, but when I think paint I think WWII Enfields, not a fair comparison,(nothing against Enfields, I have got off 10 rounds in 10 seconds when I was younger) but I have seen some botched Duracoat jobs around here by more than one guy, not Lauer's fault. I probably won't do anything to it, hard chrome maybe......:whistling:

ssgrock3
02-21-2010, 08:52
I agree with the OP, choosing colors online is tough at best. But just like painting in a home, it is not ever going to be a perfect match to the paint swatches, even worse about choosing online, is as said the monitor it is viewed on.. My bosses new computer with a huge hd monitor makes Everything look better, but I still couldn't tell if that is what a color is going to look like in person or on a particular surface. quiz the heck out of whomever is gonna do your gun. If it is that important to you, send them a surface or ask for one of the color you want or colors on a piece of polymer like your gun. I have seen people spend a lot of money getting their colors perfect for them. It is important to them and to you it looks like, don't short yourself over a few bucks, and beating up the vendors is not going to help. They can only do so much for a guy researching their product. but you could probably even ask them for the same type sample of the color on a piece of material, yes they will charge, but it will give you a better perspective. Good luck. Show us pics once it is done. Are you going to do the whole gun or ?

faawrenchbndr
02-21-2010, 10:16
A while back I wanted a Glock frame sprayed in MagPul foliage green
I sent the frame and a rail cover to Gary. He nailed the color, simply outstanding!

Rick from Kali
02-21-2010, 12:01
Glockster_221,
here is a photo of my girlfriends 10/22 that i did three years ago and i have to say that it looks just as good today as the day i finished it. the DuraCoat finish is very durable. they also have a bake-on DuraCoat finish which i am going use on a 1911 of mine in the spring. the trick in makinging the finish stick well is to bead blast the piece with 120 grit aluminum oxide which is what i did. so when you get back down this way during one of your breaks and you finally have picked out the color you want i can finish your pistol for you no charge. all you have to do is supply the DuraCoat. would take about a week to do. call me on the phone if interested.
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/DSCN0434.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/DSCN0436.jpg

Glockster_221
02-21-2010, 13:58
Glockster_221,
here is a photo of my girlfriends 10/22 that i did three years ago and i have to say that it looks just as good today as the day i finished it. the DuraCoat finish is very durable. they also have a bake-on DuraCoat finish which i am going use on a 1911 of mine in the spring. the trick in makinging the finish stick well is to bead blast the piece with 120 grit aluminum oxide which is what i did. so when you get back down this way during one of your breaks and you finally have picked out the color you want i can finish your pistol for you no charge. all you have to do is supply the DuraCoat. would take about a week to do. call me on the phone if interested.
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/DSCN0434.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/DSCN0436.jpg

Nice work on that 10/22. I appreciate the offer, I'll think about it, even though I'm pretty set on Oakridge Custom Finishing.

Glockster_221
02-23-2010, 02:09
I've decided that I'm going to get the frame coated in Desert Beige. The slide, trigger, slide release, take down levers, and pins on the top will be in black. The mag button and mag wells will also be in Desert Beige. It's going to look GORGEOUS.

Rick: did you do ALL those colors yourself or just the barrel? Simply outstanding!

gatorhugger
02-23-2010, 02:31
the old cliche- there are so many things wrong with this thread

Color swatches
Complaining about 4 bucks. I think I tip more than that at lunch. BIG DEAL.
Saying how a gun will look GORGEOUS.

There goes the neighborhood:tongueout:

Blitzer
02-23-2010, 06:33
I've been extremely interested in DuraCoating my future Gen. 4 G17 in a light beige color. I have searched the internet with a fine-tooth comb of all the pictures of guns coated in Desert Beige with DuraCoat. There are quite a few, to my surprise. I have put in 6 hours in comparing and contrasting the DuraCoat colors on the Lauer Weaponry website.

I did some posting and private messaging and I found out about some reputable guys who are professional DuraCoaters. I found a guy that I like (I was recommended to him by a cool dude here on GT). This is it: http://www.oakridgecustomfinishing.com/index.html.

Anyhow, someone PMed me and told me to contact Lauer Weaponry directly as I couldn't quite find the particular shade of beige I wanted. I e-mailed Lauer Weaponry and they were eager to send me 10 samples of duracoated paper in the colors of my choice, ABSOLUTELY free. I was thrilled. I put in my order and they arrived in the mail today.

I am sorely, sorely disappointed. The colors on the paper look almost nothing like they do on the website. ACU Light Tan, a very light beige color on the website, has a notable green hue to it. Magpul FDE looks NOTHING like the actual Flat Dark Earth Magpul produces. The color from Duracoat looks like a fresh morning dung instead of a brown/beige color.

Multi beige looks downright brown. The only one that seemed OK was Tactical Desert Beige, but far too dark. I will post pics soon.

Don't get me wrong, most of the DuraCoated firearms I've seen on the Internet look absolutely fantastic, and I fully intend to DuraCoat my weapon. The color samples are disappointing and their advertisement misleading, is all.

Comments, thoughts?

A computer monitor screen's color is NOT accurate unless you have it calibrated to some known and accepted standard, the last time I check the device was $500.00. :whistling:

guns54
02-23-2010, 11:07
the old cliche- there are so many things wrong with this thread

Color swatches
Complaining about 4 bucks. I think I tip more than that at lunch. BIG DEAL.
Saying how a gun will look GORGEOUS.

There goes the neighborhood:tongueout:
by the bus boys in 1980.

doc540
02-23-2010, 14:50
Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I went the no-brainer route:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Colt%20Agent/DSCN0661-1.jpg

blackdevil
04-06-2013, 19:17
duracoat is ok, but i switched to cerakote.on a piece ofsprayed paper. the color will be different. same goes for a piece of sprayed pvc.all colors will vary.did they take gun back, and re do for you.i would.louis blackdevil firearms. 561 635 0000.