Ruger 77/22 or browning T-Bolt? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 77/22 or browning T-Bolt?

up1911fan
02-13-2010, 20:59
I want to get one or the other, just need to make up my mind. Any advise?

Brucev
02-14-2010, 06:05
In 1985 Ruger brought out the R77-22. American Rifleman carried a long article about the new rifle. My wife (God bless her!) saw the article and bought me a R77-22 for a combined Christmas/Birthday present. I have fired untold thousands of rounds through that rifle. Its handling qualities are excellent. Its accuracy at 25/50/100 yds. is superlative. Some 100 yd. groups fired with target quality ammo have run less than 1 inch for 5 shots. This was shooting off the top of the car w/ sandbags and a good quality scope. In every respect it lives up to the description of the article, i.e., a high quality sporting rifle with match rifle accuracy. If I were again in the market for a .22 LR bolt action sporting rifle, the rifles I would consider are the Ruger 77-22 and one of the CZ .22 LR rifles. Given what I know about the R77-22, it would take a lot for me to consider anything else. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

trob
02-15-2010, 10:10
go with the 77, they are pretty darn slick. :cool:

SD Handgunner
02-15-2010, 10:25
I too am a huge fan of the Ruger 77/22. I currently have two of them. One is a Ruger K77/22VBZ that I have modified a bit. First off it needed a trigger job, which is quite easy to do. Mine had a very loose barrel shank to receiver fit. In talking to a couple gunsmiths they advised that I needed to shim the barrel to the receiver to tighten it up (which I did). That coupled with free floating the barrel in the forend produced a Rifle that shoots GREAT. This Ruger wears a Mueller 4.5x14x40mm AO APV Riflescope.

My other 77/22 is a Custom Rifle I built myself. I basically started with a Ruger 77/22 Stainless-Steel Action (bought a used Rifle and sold the original barrel & stock). I installed a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel to it, tweaked the trigger until it breaks like glass at 1 1/4 pounds and set it in a Volquartsen Custom Lamnated Wood Stock (that I reshaped slightly). This Ruger wears a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope with a Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/LarryinSD/CustomRuger7722-1.jpg

Either of these rifles when fed ammo they prefer will shoot 1" to 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards, less when I do not mess up. I mainly use these two Rugers for Indoor Bench Rest Competition in the winter months but they also see a fair amount of use shooting Flickertail Gophers each spring.

This past September my nephew and I went to an Egg Shoot. The course of fire was to see how many Chicken Eggs could be shot with 5 shots with the Chicken Eggs set at 100 yards. Well my nephew won the competition hitting 4 out of the 5 Chicken Eggs at 100 yards from a bench using a Bipod for a front rest.

To me no other Bolt Action Rimfire Rifle feels like a Ruger 77/22. Yes the may need a little tweaking to shoot to their potential, but for me that is half the fun of getting a new Rifle.

Larry

Brucev
02-15-2010, 12:43
One further thought about the R77-22. In the 25 years that I've owned this rifle, it has been unfailingly accurate as well as reliable. It has never had a misfire of any sort. It has never failed to feed, fire or eject. The bolt is simple to take apart for cleaning. The entire rifle is extremely well made. The stock is proportioned to fit a normal adult. The barrel is sufficiently heavy to give good accuracy. It is sufficiently long so as to extract the full velocity potential of the .22 LR round. It is not so heavy or long as to be awkward or unwieldy in the field. The trigger on my rifle has never been adjusted. It has never needed to be adjusted. Should the need arise, the process is not difficult. Further the rifle is available in various other very useful chamberings that offer greater ballistic and on target effectiveness should one desire to have a R77-22 for use at longer ranges or on larger game than is the norm for a .22 LR round.

Battlescarred
02-22-2010, 14:33
Another huge 77/22 fan here!! I have two of them. Absolute reliability and very good accuracy. I have never owned a modern Browning long gun that I was happy with!

mboylan
02-27-2010, 19:45
The T-Bolt is a better built gun with a better trigger and better accuracy. I still love my 77/22.

CajunBass
02-28-2010, 06:19
I've never shot a T-bolt, but I have looked at them. Just couldn't warm up to them for some reason or other.

I do however love my 77/22. There may be more "accurate" rifles out there (the CZ fans will be along shortly) but if they are I can't tell it. My 77/22 does everything I want it to, and does it with the look and feel of a "big rifle." Mine is a 1984, stock out of the box as far as I know.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/100_0028.jpg