AK mags loaded or unloaded? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AK mags loaded or unloaded?

Fortunate1
02-13-2010, 21:09
Second post here, been reading for a long time, just not writing, so now I'm finally going to ask for some input.

What is your opinion on keeping AK mags loaded for long term storage?
Do you think that this will weaken the mag springs sufficiently to keep them from operating reliably, or should it be no problem?

Your input is appreciated.

9mm +p+
02-13-2010, 23:09
Well they'll be lot's of differing opinions on this, my take is this. I load my mags and leave them loaded, an empty mag when you need a full one is bad juju. Using the mag compress/de-compress is what wears the spring not just compressing it, so load em up and don't worry about them. Steel E block AK mags are as tough as granite.

Chevytruckin98
02-14-2010, 16:37
Agreed, leave them loaded. I keep my steel mags loaded, and I store my Bulgarian waffle mags empty.

uzimon
02-14-2010, 16:42
leave loaded
use a couple for range duty
that's what wears them out, being loaded then unloaded and loaded again

toshbar
02-14-2010, 16:59
I leave all my mags loaded all the time: Tapco 7.62, Bulgy surplus 5.45, Butler Creek 10 and 25 round 10/22 mags, G23 and G22 mags, never had trouble.

And of course the Garand clips which could be loaded for 10k years and be fine.

Aceman
02-14-2010, 17:43
I take a little more practical view of this.

I say if you are going to keep mags loaded - a) make sure they are steel lips, b) don't load 100% - leave a couple rounds shy of full compression.

Also - I agree; Better to have a loaded mag and not need it, than an unloaded one when you need a loaded mag! However...how many mags do you need loaded at all times is the question. My thoughts:

In reality - NONE. I have other weapons ready (pistol/SG)

Practically - ONE. Seriously, ~25-28 rounds of 7.62 goodness isn't going to get you through the next few minutes? Not to mention the pistol we all know you have!

Let's be silly - TWO. Really, can you site any random exchange of gunfire/house invasion that went this long? Or a SHTF that you didn't know was coming at least an hour ahead of time? And even if not, I think you could take the first 10 minutes of the great blackout/blizzard/etc.. loading mags. I got a kid all trained to do only that on demand.

And I like to rotate through mags. I run over all my guns the first weekend of the month. Empty the mag, shuffle the ammo, reload into another. Necessary? Probably not. Wear and tear on spring? Probably insignificant. Comfort of knowing everything is 100% - priceless!

j-glock22
02-14-2010, 17:57
Like all springs, they wear much faster being used, not static under pressure. You're fine. But as a backup, keep some spare springs handy if you need to change them years later.... meanwhile, keep them loaded

Asmodeus6
02-15-2010, 03:35
All my stuff is loaded. Drums, stacks of 40rd and 30rd mags etc.
I keep one or two extra empty mags in with the ammo cans. (As well as one loaded one as soon as you open it, dessicant, a GITD tube you crack/shake and it lights) What I'll do is take them out and shoot a few mag fulls thru them in a range rotation to make sure they work. Then the rest get loaded, and one or two is left empty to go in with the ammo can. Just as extra.

But as a general rule, 95% of everything is loaded. If something happened to me where I needed it why on earth would I want to load it? That's why I bought the sh^t in the first place. Otherwise why not just buy like 3 mags... since I'm never going to need more than 20-30rds at a time anyway... right?

How bout no.

Maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe I don't want to try to be fumbling around with ammo boxes trying to stuff bullets into mags while I'm getting shot at. Or want to fool with crap if I have to immediately pick up and leave. I can grab all my loaded mags and bolt directly into the tree line if I have to.

I have mags that have been loaded for years that I've come back around and shot without problems. Even polymer ones.

Aceman
02-15-2010, 07:09
Again - just how many mags/drums are we taking about loaded?
10, 100, 1000?

What on earth could suddenly require 100 30rnd mags? As if you could carry them anyway...

But if it makes you feel safe - enjoy.

toshbar
02-15-2010, 09:03
Again - just how many mags/drums are we taking about loaded?
10, 100, 1000?

What on earth could suddenly require 100 30rnd mags? As if you could carry them anyway...

But if it makes you feel safe - enjoy.
60 rounds of .40, 100 rounds of .22, 120 rounds of 7.62 and 130 rounds of 5.45 are on tap. I see no need for 15-20 loaded magazines for each gun.

rem2429
02-15-2010, 12:18
I take a little more practical view of this.

I say if you are going to keep mags loaded - a) make sure they are steel lips, b) don't load 100% - leave a couple rounds shy of full compression.

Also - I agree; Better to have a loaded mag and not need it, than an unloaded one when you need a loaded mag! However...how many mags do you need loaded at all times is the question. My thoughts:

In reality - NONE. I have other weapons ready (pistol/SG)

Practically - ONE. Seriously, ~25-28 rounds of 7.62 goodness isn't going to get you through the next few minutes? Not to mention the pistol we all know you have!

Let's be silly - TWO. Really, can you site any random exchange of gunfire/house invasion that went this long? Or a SHTF that you didn't know was coming at least an hour ahead of time? And even if not, I think you could take the first 10 minutes of the great blackout/blizzard/etc.. loading mags. I got a kid all trained to do only that on demand.

And I like to rotate through mags. I run over all my guns the first weekend of the month. Empty the mag, shuffle the ammo, reload into another. Necessary? Probably not. Wear and tear on spring? Probably insignificant. Comfort of knowing everything is 100% - priceless!

I vote for two as practical, because you may have to trade out a broken magazine. While I think needing 60 rounds is unlikely, having a shot off baseplate would pretty much suck. I keep two loaded mags with all my go to guns.

8-Ball
02-18-2010, 01:30
If they thought loading 30 rounds was going to screw up the spring, they would have made them 29 round mags.

Load them, leave them. They'll be fine.