I keep finding the safety in the off position [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I keep finding the safety in the off position

G30SF/F-250
02-13-2010, 21:46
My EDC is a SA 1911 Micro-45 Loaded. I carry IWB in a Comp-tac in the 3:00 position in condition one.

A few times a week I un-holster and find that the safety is off. This 1911 has the ambi switch. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep this from happening or why it happens?

ronin.45
02-13-2010, 22:12
throughout your day something is pushing it down. I would start paying attention when you are in the car. It may be rubbing against your center console or seatbelt. This is what mine did. I like strong side only levers. They usually don't suffer from this problem and they don't rub my knuckle when I shoot.

AZ Husker
02-13-2010, 22:18
If you're not a lefty, switch to a left-side only safety. A good holster will be boned to hold the safety in place.

G30SF/F-250
02-13-2010, 22:22
Thank's for the reply. Some day's I sit in the office, other's I am lying in the floor working on things'. It is hard to say what happens.

When I first noticed it I thought it was happening when I was holstering, but that wasnt the case. I didnt know if there was a better holster or not.

I like the ambi switch because I am left handed but shoot right. I have a holster mounted in my truck that is perfect for a left hand draw.

:dunno:

124JHP
02-13-2010, 22:50
Thank's for the reply. Some day's I sit in the office, other's I am lying in the floor working on things'. It is hard to say what happens.

When I first noticed it I thought it was happening when I was holstering, but that wasnt the case. I didnt know if there was a better holster or not.

I like the ambi switch because I am left handed but shoot right. I have a holster mounted in my truck that is perfect for a left hand draw.

Ok, the only thing your safety will prevent is the trigger from being pulled. If your gun is holstered, you have nothing to worry about. Make sure everytime you unholster the gun you check the safety. The only thing that would make your gun to fire is the trigger being pulled or a big fall on the ground.

G30SF/F-250
02-13-2010, 23:31
Ok, the only thing your safety will prevent is the trigger from being pulled. If your gun is holstered, you have nothing to worry about. Make sure everytime you unholster the gun you check the safety. The only thing that would make your gun to fire is the trigger being pulled or a big fall on the ground.

So much to say; but I won't.

Can you tell me what that thinngy that points up does, because I don't know?

Hit delete or not..........Hmmmmmm

CMG
02-14-2010, 06:05

Does your holster have a thumb-break?

I changed out the ambi on my EMP because I carry in an open-top style holster. If I needed to keep the ambi, I would have switched to a holster whose thumb-break strap covered the outside safety as well.

G30SF/F-250
02-14-2010, 07:27
Does your holster have a thumb-break?

I changed out the ambi on my EMP because I carry in an open-top style holster. If I needed to keep the ambi, I would have switched to a holster whose thumb-break strap covered the outside safety as well.

It is not covered; and I will look into that. Any suggestions on a holster manufacture that has the thumb strap covered?

124JHP
02-14-2010, 07:39
So much to say; but I won't.

Can you tell me what that thinngy that points up does, because I don't know?

Hit delete or not..........Hmmmmmm

Shoots bullets?

02-14-2010, 16:31
I will say it:

The safety prevents the sear from slipping off the hammer's hooks, releasing the hammer.

glock2740
02-14-2010, 17:47
Ambi safeties are not for CC IMO.

CMG
02-14-2010, 18:36
It is not covered; and I will look into that. Any suggestions on a holster manufacture that has the thumb strap covered?

Something like this H722 from Don Hume could solve your problem.

http://www.donhume.com/images/large/2008/H722-ENF_web_LRG.jpg

Jeff82
02-14-2010, 18:51
He's still got the grip safety...

Jeff82
02-14-2010, 18:54

I take that to mean you want the ambi so you can shoot left handed when drawing from your truck's holster?

Cochese
02-14-2010, 19:09
Ambi safeties are not for CC IMO.

Well, some of us left handed folks like 1911's.

R*E
02-14-2010, 20:33
:faint:

Quack
02-14-2010, 21:28
switching to a thinner ambi safety like an Ed Brown might help

glock2740
02-14-2010, 22:34
No offense to left handers. I was referring to us righties who have the chance of the right side safety getting knocked out of safe.

ArmoryDoc
02-14-2010, 22:59
My EDC is a SA 1911 Micro-45 Loaded. I carry IWB in a Comp-tac in the 3:00 position in condition one.

A few times a week I un-holster and find that the safety is off. This 1911 has the ambi switch. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep this from happening or why it happens?

You need to have a gunsmith deepen the socket where your detent pin contacts the safety lever. Also, buy another spring and install it in the event the current one is weak or damaged. It won't take much deepening but you need a more positive purchase on this area. This should not be happening.

G30SF/F-250
02-15-2010, 10:50
I take that to mean you want the ambi so you can shoot left handed when drawing from your truck's holster?

Yes, you are correct sir. Not only the truck but for what ever reason, I like to have the option.

G30SF/F-250
02-15-2010, 10:56
Something like this H722 from Don Hume could solve your problem.

http://www.donhume.com/images/large/2008/H722-ENF_web_LRG.jpg

Thank you CMG, I will look at those.

G30SF/F-250
02-15-2010, 10:58
:faint:

R*E; Thats what I thought. Really wanted to say more but I was under the influance and thought I better not.:whistling:

G30SF/F-250
02-15-2010, 10:58
switching to a thinner ambi safety like an Ed Brown might help

Also another idea; thanks Quack.

G30SF/F-250
02-15-2010, 11:02
You need to have a gunsmith deepen the socket where your detent pin contacts the safety lever. Also, buy another spring and install it in the event the current one is weak or damaged. It won't take much deepening but you need a more positive purchase on this area. This should not be happening.

I bought the "loaded" model hoping that I wouldnt need any more gunsmithing done to it; guess I might need to start looking for a good gunsmith. Your answer sounds pretty good so far. Fix the problem-not look for a solution for it. In the mean time I might have to look at some of the other options until I can get the permanet fix. Thank you Sarge.

Landor
02-15-2010, 11:33
carrying a 1911 with the safety off is a AD/ND waiting to happen. If you can not solve this problem you might want to find another gun to carry. Maybe a true DA gun.

I hope you figure it out.. Good Luck

hatidua
02-15-2010, 11:38
This 1911 has the ambi switch.

And there you have it.

That's why I ditch the ambi-safety on any 1911 I buy that comes with it. Way too easy to unintentionally click off.

(above only applies to right-handed people, I don't carry left-handed)

dosei
02-15-2010, 12:03

Which Comp-TAC???

Comp-TAC is a company that makes holsters, knowing which of their holsters you are using might be helpful.

Also, have you talked to Comp-TAC about it? Is the holster designed for condition one carry of a 1911? A lot of holsters for the 1911 are actually made for condition three carry, and several more are made by newbie holster makers that don't know how to properly make a holster for a 1911 and fail to think about the safety.

(IMHO...a properly made holster for a 1911 should hold the safety in the "On" position...to the point that if a 1911 is placed in it with the safety off, it will force the safety to the on position.)

dp509
02-15-2010, 12:05

Me Too :supergrin:

Tejasshooter
02-15-2010, 14:00
I am a righty and hate my ambi. I constantly check it because I have found it in the unsafe position too many times. However; I have been eyeballing the Bianchi model 5 black widow with the thumb break.

124JHP
02-15-2010, 14:37
I will say it:

The safety prevents the sear from slipping off the hammer's hooks, releasing the hammer.

If your sear is slipping off the hammer hooks, you have a bigger problem then the manual safety. The only cases I have heard of sears slipping off is after a bad trigger job.

Yes, the thumb safety will prevent the sear from moving even if you pull the trigger, which is also what the grip safety does:rofl:

Now, after that being said, I am lefty, carry my 1911 on my left side with the thumbsafety exposed. I never had a problem with the safery disengaging - which I would fix it pronto if I did.

I would suggest you remove the grip safety and check if there is enough contact with the sear. If there is not enough contact, you will not have a very positive engagement and it will cause the problem you are describing. Take a look at this website:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0601.htm

nastytrigger
02-15-2010, 16:51
I wonder if tighter grips would work. I received a free pair of Davidson Grips that were tighter than my cocobolo. Not so tight that they impaired moving the ambi from on to off safe, but tighter than it was. I'm known to fall asleep with my 1911 on my hip (or Glock in my pocket in a IWB holster) and have never had my SA Loaded 5" go off safe from my wiggling throughout the night or as a daily carry... I'm a lefty too!

02-15-2010, 17:34
The only thing the grip safety does is prevent the trigger from pushing the sear off the hammer hooks, you need the safety on and functional to ensure that the sear stays put if the gun is dropped. The grip safety won't do that for you.

R*E
02-15-2010, 18:01
Yes, the thumb safety will prevent the sear from moving even if you pull the trigger, which is also what the grip safety does:rofl:
The grip safety blocks rearward movement of the trigger. That's all it does. :upeyes:

farkill
03-06-2010, 01:37
I'm right handed, and shoot right handed, and cant foresee any possible scenario where if I had to shoot left handed I wouldn't have drawn and made ready with my right hand first. Not only did I throw my ambi safety away, I dehorned the lever on my carry gun , a la colt style.

Being a lefty just sucks sometimes I guess. If I were suffering from leftitus, I would bob hell outta the left side lever till it was just enough to reliably bear on the plunger. Then, I would cut the right side lever down to a practical and usable shape and size. I'm more about being safe and able, rather than fashionable

RonS
03-06-2010, 06:25
Some of Wilson's holsters are made to help prevent this with a ledge that supports the safety in the safe position.

DustyJacket
03-06-2010, 06:54
The extended safety often causes it to be accidentally unlocked. (IMHO)

When I carried an M1911, both in uniform and concealed, I always used a holster with a thumbreak strap between the hammer and rear of the slide. No problems......