Optics Opinion, 3-gun/Coyotes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Optics Opinion, 3-gun/Coyotes

Wild Gene
02-14-2010, 10:47
Howdy,

I have a good quality flat top, M4. I have an AimPoint ML3 Comp. on a LaRue mount. I want to do some 3-gun shoots, tactical division. I want to have some magnification for coyotes (we are calving, and this time of year I see a dog almost everytime I drive out with the cows).

Do I get a magnifier for my Aimpoint? Do I buy a scope? If I did buy a scope, I would want one that had minimal magnification (for three gun or hunting out to maybe 440 yards). Today I saw a Coyote out about 350 yards. I could find it with my glasses, but bare eyed in the alfalfa fields, this time of year, it blended in so well that I really had trouble finding it. I shot around it, but just had trouble finding it on the run. I will frequently have shots ranging from 20 out to 300 or so yards.

So, magnifier on a LaRue pivot mount, or 1 or 1.5x 3 or 4 type variable scope. I may also consider an ACOG, but am not sure I want something that is fixed power because the distance to target varies so much.

Thanks for your opinions.

WG

NeverMore1701
02-14-2010, 10:57
I'd consider a Milett DMS 1-4x for light duty.

nipperwolf
02-14-2010, 11:35
Take a look at Jerry's set up. I believe he has a 1x4 or a 1x4.5, and a red dot angled at 45 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwDCbybnCA

Wild Gene
02-14-2010, 11:58
Was Millet bought out? The DMS is pretty cool, and very practical.

Really like Jerry's rifle, but I am not sure something set up that way would be practical banging around in the truck or on the quad. I beat up my guns compared to a lot of folks. You are also not able to use more than one optic in the tactical division. Thanks for the cool link!

WG

MBG20
02-14-2010, 12:19
id get a magnifier...

Wild Gene
02-14-2010, 12:29
id get a magnifier...

When the magnifier is moved to the side, does it interfere with left hand only, shoulder mounted, pull the charge handle type movement?

My Aimpoint does have the 2MOA dot, so should work well.

WG

NeverMore1701
02-14-2010, 13:47
Shouldn't they flip to the right side. If you want a magnifier, check out the Primary Arms offerings.

TimP
02-14-2010, 14:06
The millet is a great scope for the money

ElevatedThreat
02-14-2010, 14:15
After trying a bunch of similar illuminated "tactical" type scopes for my Stag Model 7, in actual hunting use, I have settled on a Nightforce 1-4x with the FC-2 reticle. I chose an American Defense removable 1-piece mount.

This combination has served me very well this winter, in thinning the wild dog packs off my deer lands, hunting via snowmobile. Rugged, accurate, and reliable.

(And the 6.8mm SPC round worked well shooting through the same snow and light-cover conditions where 5.56mm proved less than marginal on past hunts. The 6.8mm SPC round, with AccuBond bullets, may well replace my beloved 7.62x39.)

-ET

Wild Gene
02-14-2010, 16:38
Shouldn't they flip to the right side. If you want a magnifier, check out the Primary Arms offerings.

Wouldn't that put them in front of the ejection port?

E.T., "setteled" on a NightForce? Wow, those are really nice. That would look really nice on an LWRC M6-A3.

I just checked out the Leuold, and to me it was like looking through a "fisheye" camera lense. I also checked out a Trijicon AccuPoint, didn't mind it, but am not really sure if I like the retical.

Thanks so far!

WG

Gonetodarkside
02-14-2010, 17:34
Wouldn't that put them in front of the ejection port?

WG

I have the primary arms deluxe 3x magnifier behind my bushnell holosight (eotech). It flips to the right and does not interfere with the operation of the weapon. I have killed 9 hogs in the last two weeks all in the woods up close and fast. Obviously in the woods I had the magnifier flipped to the side. I imagine it will work well on coyotes and in 3 gun matches as well.

Wild Gene
02-14-2010, 20:56
Sounds cool. Thank you.

WG

desertfox
02-14-2010, 21:52
Magnifier, ACOG, or a Trijicon Accupoint are all good options in my opinion.

Jer
02-14-2010, 23:57
Burris XTR 1-4x FTW.

Wild Gene
02-15-2010, 19:14
I just figured out that I have an uncorrected stigmatism. That means that the magnifier isn't really a good solution. What that does is explain why the red dot on my aimpoint is not as crisp as it should be. Actually, it looks like a very small 8, two stacked dots. I don't need corrective lenses yet, I just have the stigmatism, and I don't want glasses untill I can't see the dot at all.

So, any projected type dot is just not going to be crisp. I need something that has etched glass. I can see those fine.

I am thinking that maybe the fixed power ACOG may not be such a bad deal. I don't like the post on the Accupoint, as it messes up hold over on long shots. Maybe the T11. The one with the retical that matches a mans shoulders. I think it is 22", about the same width as a coyote is long...hmmm, promising.

I still like the Nightforce. Need to check one out in person.

Thanks a bunch so far.

WG

kabob983
02-16-2010, 08:50
Magnifier, ACOG, or a Trijicon Accupoint are all good options in my opinion.

I'd go with the Accupoint. I've not used one personally but I've heard good things about them. They're a little $$ but not as bad as the ACOGs.

As for messing with your hold-overs I think that's something that over time with training (like any new sighting system) you'll learn to compensate for.

desertfox
02-16-2010, 09:58
I also have a mil-dot 3-9 power accupoint. I have it mounted on a Beowulf, and it is holding up so far.....and the Beowulf has a rep for killing scopes. The center dot is small, so would not make a fast reticle for a CQB like the post triangle would. It is a fixed parallax though. that is why I mounted in on the wulf, max range I shoot that is 200 to 250 yards.

If funds are availible, the SN4 from US Optics is the absolute **** IMHO. I have one on a 14.5" 308.

kabob983
02-16-2010, 10:25
US Optics, Nightforce...talk about your $$.

phxfa
02-16-2010, 17:38
Leupold 3x9 AR or an Accupoint TR24G or R if you dont care for the green chevron, I got used to the holdover on the accupoint.

Wild Gene
02-16-2010, 18:39
US Optics, Nightforce...talk about your $$.

It's all $$$! Amazing, isn't it. I am a bit of an "optics snob" admittedly. My spotting scope and glasses are Swarovski. Yes, there is a difference. I have no regrets for spending the bucks. You can't always shoot what you can't see. I just wonder how much of the scope stuff is "fluff". I have never bought a cheap scope that I liked. They all seem to fall apart, or lose zero, or don't zero. Always something.

I am most amazed at all the options I would have never considered if it weren't for all the suggestions I've had here.

Thank you all, very much. You make it so easy to spend my money. If there is any way I can help any of you spend money, send me a pm or something.

Take care.

WG

Wild Gene
02-19-2010, 19:04
Well, I went a whole different direction. Since many shots I take are at night, or dusk, or early morning, and since I am always up for something new, want something to race and hunt, and tough, I went and got myself a TA11. So far, I am very impressed. Good glass, easy to use, and it looks really mean!

Thanks everyone.

WG