Remington M887 Tactical [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington M887 Tactical

NWanner
02-14-2010, 19:35
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/92RS305/887Tactical-prod.jpg

Anyone else looking foward to this? I already have mine on order and should be one of the first ones to get it when they start shipping in April/May :supergrin:

wonderwolf
02-14-2010, 21:31
dang that looks aggressive

mixflip
02-14-2010, 22:00
Is there a reason for the unusual barrel? I am guessing its a futuristic heat shield? Looks cool if it is?

So what did you pay for your special order?

akgunnut
02-14-2010, 23:58
Remington sure does like that breach choke on their tactical shotguns.

I think the 887 is supposed to compete with the Benelli Nova but IMO Remington should put a shorter forearm on it making the installation of side saddles easier.

space_weazel
02-15-2010, 00:36
If this is the gun I think it is the whole thing is coated in plastic, (competing with nova) That's why it looks so beefy.

KDawg0007
02-15-2010, 12:03
I have one on order. The whole gun is modular and covered in a polymer they call armorlok. Basically it is outside elements proof. The action cycles just like the old winchester 1300 and is pretty smooth, at least in the full size 887's.

Yeah, I am a little looking forward to this.

aippi
02-15-2010, 15:43
I will check one out when it has been around 60 years like the 870. Remington is on a down hill roll with anything new they are putting out and I predict this one will fade fast and be obsolete in a couple years. But hey, I could be wrong as marketing hits a home run every now and then and it has nothing to do with quality and time tested design.

dorkweed
02-15-2010, 15:59
Before you buy that 887, please read this. I'm taking this as essentially the truth, because you never, never, never see something like this in print!!!!! Just trying to inform!!!!!!:cool: (http://www.randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm)

http://www.randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm

mixflip
02-15-2010, 16:11
Wow, clunker of the year! That rough.

KDawg0007
02-15-2010, 16:29
Hmmm, Thanks for the candid article. I may wait and see what shows up at my FFL. That kind of puts a damper on the excitement but if it ends up being a disaster of a shotgun I appreciate the heads up. Hopefully the author doesn't just have an axe to grind.

Ljay
02-15-2010, 17:07
Its ugly, But Its a Remington, Remington has built some great shotguns in the past! I hope it has great reviews, I,m not in to the black synthetics Tactical look, but I know its tougher and maintenance free and its what sells now? Give me wood any day! Lets hope for the best:upeyes:

lawndart98
02-15-2010, 18:08
What happens to the plastic on the barrel when it gets hot?

NWanner
02-20-2010, 11:39
Thanks for the heads up Dorkweed, hopefully by April they will have fixed all of these early production flaws. I'm paying dealer cost so I'm not too worried about losing out a whole lot.

drider
02-20-2010, 11:45
I saw this model but in the hunter version with longer barrel, no heat shield etc. The shotgun feels like crap, maybe it my polymer bias in shotguns but once i held it i said give me wood!

Jim S.
02-20-2010, 12:19
I think you could add all the bells and whistles on an 870 or an 1187 and have just as good if not better shotgun and have enough change left over to buy ammo for it.
What constitutes a "home defense shotgun"?
The one you have at home when you need it!!!

Ebb27
02-20-2010, 14:20
I think you could add all the bells and whistles on an 870 or an 1187 and have just as good if not better shotgun and have enough change left over to buy ammo for it.
What constitutes a "home defense shotgun"?
The one you have at home when you need it!!!

+1

I think people get too caught up in making it look uber-tactical with lights and lasers and optics and fancy sights, then hang on heavy-ass and dopey looking side saddles and shell holders and slings with shell holders that swing like a pendulum.

It's supposed to be a highly manueverable weapon for CQB situations and loading it down with 20 pounds of gee-whiz gee-gaws pretty well defeats that idea.

Forget the Buck Rogers, Star Wars looking shotguns loaded down with tacticool mall-ninja accessories and get a normal shotgun that you can actually use in tight quarters.

NWanner
02-20-2010, 16:41
+1

I think people get too caught up in making it look uber-tactical with lights and lasers and optics and fancy sights, then hang heavy-ass and dopey looking side saddles and shell holders and slings with shell holders that swing like a pendulum.

It's supposed a highly manueverable weapon for CQB situations and loading it down with 20 pounds of gee-whiz gee-gaws pretty well defeats that idea.

Forget the Buck Rogers, Star Wars looking shotguns loaded down with tacticool mall-ninja accessories and get a normal shotgun that you can actually use in tight quarters.
I have a Mossberg 835 with an 18.5" smoothbore and tube extension with a pistol grip and five 3.5" OO buckshot shells for an HD shotgun. Can't get any simpler than that.

I'm picking up this Remington because:
#1 - it's new
#2 - it's got rails and a tube extension already on it
#3 - I like that the slide release is on the front of the trigger guard
#4 - I can get it for as cheap as possible

If it turns out to be a turd then I'll sell it off for a minimal loss and then start looking for that Supernova Tactical that I've always wanted ;)

Ebb27
02-20-2010, 17:17
I have a Mossberg 835 with an 18.5" smoothbore and tube extension with a pistol grip and five 3.5" OO buckshot shells for an HD shotgun. Can't get any simpler than that.

Holy moly!

3.5" shells with a pistol grip!

OUCH!

:supergrin:

NWanner
02-20-2010, 19:29
Holy moly!

3.5" shells with a pistol grip!

OUCH!

:supergrin:
Yea, you learn real fast to hold it no higher than chest height when firing those shells. I had a buddy almost knock a tooth out holding it too high. The 3.5" OO buck shells are nothing compared to the 3.5" 2-1/4oz #4 turkey loads though. But if you grip the fore end like you're choking it and keep a loose elbow the only one hurting should be the BG haha.

Ljay
02-20-2010, 19:41
+1

I think people get too caught up in making it look uber-tactical with lights and lasers and optics and fancy sights, then hang on heavy-ass and dopey looking side saddles and shell holders and slings with shell holders

Dude you need a reality check, Thats way too much common sense for GT:rofl:

Ferdinandd
02-20-2010, 22:02
So how's that new shotgun any better than an 870? Like other responders, I like mine stripped down - 18.5 inch barrel and good sights make a perfect HD gun for me. YMMV.

NWanner
02-20-2010, 23:30
So how's that new shotgun any better than an 870? Like other responders, I like mine stripped down - 18.5 inch barrel and good sights make a perfect HD gun for me. YMMV.
Who said it has to be an HD gun?

KDawg0007
02-22-2010, 12:05
I'm getting mine for darn near cost too. I think if it's a disaster of a shotgun I will just swap it for the 870 and call it a day. It softens the blow when you are not getting bent over for something.

Jager1
02-26-2010, 16:17
I got bad news, today the shotgun had a malfunction. I was snipe hunting today in Martin County, Florida at a Wildlife Management Area. This is what happened. Two snipes flush five feet in front of me.

The review site listed was a good read, but when I read the "snipe" hunting story - I had to chuckle.

ElevatedThreat
02-27-2010, 17:35
There has to be a reason that the 887 is so inexpensive. You get what you pay for.

For me, the ideal defensive shotgun is a plain older Remington 870, or a new 870 from their Law Enforcement line, with plain synthetic or even wooden stock, and no mall-ninja accessories.

About the only thing such a gun needs added is some very visible sights. I like a rugged ghost ring rear sight, with a tritium insert front sight.

And lots of Federal Flite Control 00 buckshot ammo, or some Brenneke Black Magic slugs....

-ET

NWanner
02-28-2010, 12:10
I thought this thread was about the Remington M887, hmmm people must be confused then. Just because it's a "tactical" shotgun does not mean it has to serve self/home-defense purposes. So how about no more posts about well, "well an 870 with yadda-yadda..." or "the Mossberg 500 can..."?

And about the price, the Benelli Supernova Tactical has an MSRP of $499, which does this shotgun too. The only propblem is Supernova's tend to go for almost MSRP most the time because of their availability and desire.

Ebb27
02-28-2010, 14:10
I thought this thread was about the Remington M887, hmmm people must be confused then. Just because it's a "tactical" shotgun does not mean it has to serve self/home-defense purposes. So how about no more posts about well, "well an 870 with yadda-yadda..." or "the Mossberg 500 can..."?

Okay then what are you gonna use a "tactical" shotgun for???

870s and 500s are the most commonly used "tactical" shotguns currently used so it only seems natural that people would compare the 887 to them.

Why wouldn't you want to compare the advantages or disadvantages of the 887 to the most commonly used "tactical" shotguns on the market???

KDawg0007
03-05-2010, 12:00
Because the issues with the 887 have been associated with the waterfowl 28" barreled version. The 887 tactical hasn't quite hit the general public yet. I just hope remington has sorted out the few issues with it by April/May.

NWanner
03-05-2010, 16:10
Okay then what are you gonna use a "tactical" shotgun for???

870s and 500s are the most commonly used "tactical" shotguns currently used so it only seems natural that people would compare the 887 to them.

Why wouldn't you want to compare the advantages or disadvantages of the 887 to the most commonly used "tactical" shotguns on the market???
Well I personally plan on putting my Eotec 512 on the top rail and shooting trap and possibly hunting with it as it has interchangeable choke tubes.

And I don't see much "comparing" of the 870/500 going on either, all I see is people saying they'd rather use the 870/500 with little reasons given.

volsbear
03-05-2010, 16:17
It's a pump? :(