Thinking of buying my first shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying my first shotgun

NewGlocker28
02-14-2010, 23:11
As the title suggests, thinking of buying my first shotgun. Will primarily be for home defense. From what I gather the debate comes down to Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500.

Any others I should consider?

Hoss230
02-14-2010, 23:45
Either the Remington or Mossberg platform will serve you well, but there are a multitude of other possibilities. Any time someone asks me "what shotgun should I buy?", I always suggest going to a local pawn shop and checking out what they have. You just may find a nice Sears Ted Williams pump, or older Mossberg that you can cut the barrel on yourself. Total investment - roughly $100+ ammo.

Or, if you're more interested in a new gun, check out the Norinco Hawk 982 or NEF Pardner Protector. Each are 870 copies, and each run under $200. Happy shopping.

bambikilr
02-15-2010, 00:28
Winchester, have several...bought one from a guy at work who put his back together wrong & it would double feed (pump 1300) i couldn't fix it, sent it to Win & they fixed it for free & shipped it back for free in a new box & manual...been happy ever since, was gonna buy another Rem bolt gun, but after that bought another Winchester...have a 500 also, no probs in 8 years...just another option...good luck

mixflip
02-15-2010, 03:05
I like the Mossberg 590 just because of the 8+1 shot capacity, the shell elevator/lifter that doesnt push back on your thumb when loading ammo, the slide release button behind the trigger guard and the easy to see ambidextrous safety on the tang. The receiver is aluminum so its lighter but just as strong as steel. The weight and length argument of a 20" shotgun doesnt effect me since I dont have any issues maneuvering through my house with it. (oh yeah and it has the infamous bayonet lug which you dont need... but its cool)

I'd like to own the more expensive Remington 870 but I got a killer deal on a used 590 for only $300 and its just as reliable and devastating.

Here is my shameless picture of it.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5078.jpg

vafish
02-15-2010, 07:42
As the title suggests, thinking of buying my first shotgun. Will primarily be for home defense. From what I gather the debate comes down to Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500.

Any others I should consider?

Winchester 1200 or 1300 Will have to be used.
Benelli Nova
Ithaca 37, again will have to be used.

Some folks report having good luck with the Chinese copies of the 870

ravenkeeper98
02-15-2010, 08:24
I have both a Winchester 1300 Ranger and a Mossberg 500. Both I have had zero problems with. The 1300 has a 26" barrel, so it is mainly for the field. The 500 is my home defense/"zombie" gun. It has the 18.5" barrel and a break. I do agree with a previous post about the difference between the Winchester and Mossberg shell elevator pushing back on your thumb with the Winchester and the Mossberg's stays out of your way. I have pinched my thumb a couple times when I got in a hurry reloading my Winchester, nothing major, just the Winchester didn't want to let go right away:upeyes: