California gen 4 question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : California gen 4 question?

richie3888
02-15-2010, 09:13
Does anybody know when the gen 4 glocks are going to be legal in California?

I called all the gun shops around my area and they all told me "All gen 4 glocks are not legal in california and we dont know when its going to become legal."

I was just checking if anybody knows the answer in here because i was about to buy the gen 3 glock 19 but was thinking i should just wait for the gen 4 to come out. What do you guys think i should do? Wait or just go buy the gen 3 now?

TRX450R_Racer
02-15-2010, 09:15
Why aren't they legal in CA?

HexHead
02-15-2010, 09:26

Because if you so much as change the finish on a pistol, it has to go through the whole DOJ approval process to get on the "safe gun" list again. I doubt the Gen4 is going to get approved in CA in any event. As of Jan 1, new guns for approval have to have a magazine safety which Glocks don't have.

Best just get the Gen3.

My condolences to the OP for having to live there.

den888
02-15-2010, 10:17
Yes, it's up in the air on whether they will be approved or not.

Get a Gen 3 or Gen 2 for now...

Because if you so much as change the finish on a pistol, it has to go through the whole DOJ approval process to get on the "safe gun" list again. I doubt the Gen4 is going to get approved in CA in any event. As of Jan 1, new guns for approval have to have a magazine safety which Glocks don't have.

Best just get the Gen3.

My condolences to the OP for having to live there.

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 12:23
i asked the same question from 2 local gunshop owners here in san francisco , and the both had said the same thing that there iz a ban hold on them due to the double coil spring . But of the store owners had contacted a glock rep. And said that it waz goin through some court issues and that the gen 4 should be available in california somewhere late april or in may hopefully .

TRX450R_Racer
02-15-2010, 12:43
That's just ridiculous.

richie3888
02-15-2010, 12:45
i asked the same question from 2 local gunshop owners here in san francisco , and the both had said the same thing that there iz a ban hold on them due to the double coil spring . But of the store owners had contacted a glock rep. And said that it waz goin through some court issues and that the gen 4 should be available in california somewhere late april or in may hopefully .

thanks. hopefully I could wait that long for the gen 4. What gun shop did you go to? I live in Richmond and I usually have to go all the way to target masters.

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 12:58
thanks. Hopefully i could wait that long for the gen 4. What gun shop did you go to? I live in richmond and i usually have to go all the way to target masters.

city arms located in pacifica . They have some of the best guns that i saw besides fishing & guns located in vacaville .

crazyrec12
02-15-2010, 14:12
Jeez Kalifoniaaaaaaaa is so dumb....can't wait to move there in 5 months and get the scoop of poop firsthand.

thunderstrike
02-15-2010, 17:14
I bet cali criminals have Gen 4.

Bowtie
02-15-2010, 19:19
city arms located in pacifica . They have some of the best guns that i saw besides fishing & guns located in vacaville .

The guys who work in Vacaville are a bunch of freakin morons..

James Dean
02-15-2010, 19:22
I bet cali criminals have Gen 4.
I bet your right.

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 19:27
the guys who work in vacaville are a bunch of freakin morons..

i already know bro. Lol lol you should`ve heard them when i asked "which glock would they perfer the g22 or the g23 ........ And the answer i got from them........... I f`n hate glocks i would perfer the feel of real steel in my hands !! And i waz like whoa ! I`m just askin bout ur opinion not a that answer ! And the guy looked at me and just pulled both out 4 me 2 choose and he said nothing else ! Lol lol so i just eneded up grabbing the used g23 from them that waz already moded out for $499 and thats the last time i`m goin there !!! Lol lol lol

Bowtie
02-15-2010, 19:30
They like to tell customers the Glock is a safety hazard and push the XD real hard..

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 19:37
yeah that place is a trip . If they are buggin bout glocks they shouldn`t even be sellin it then ! Lol lol . Now i found a real kool spot in pacifica city arms they have some real good guns and long guns also with some real kool prices . And the enviroment is totally kool and they are real good folks !you should go peep them out if you haven`t yet . You`ll like what they have in stock .

Larry V
02-15-2010, 19:39
With all the non sense that state has going on , what possible reason would you want to live their!!!

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 19:42
with all the non sense that state has going on , what possible reason would you want to live their!!!

i`m sorry 2 say it but.........its home sweet home ! Lol lol

bentbiker
02-15-2010, 19:49
With all the nonsense that state has going on, what possible reason would you want to live there?
Your high temp today was 28? Ours had the numbers transposed -- 82. Not trying to convince you of anything -- just answering your question.

richie3888
02-15-2010, 20:22
With all the non sense that state has going on , what possible reason would you want to live their!!!

I love where I live but hate all the rules. It's just sucks to wait for something that other people already have. I just have to live with it. I just tried callIng city arms but they're not open on Sunday and Mondays. I'll try again tomorrow

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 20:32
I love where I live but hate all the rules. It's just sucks to wait for something that other people already have. I just have to live with it. I just tried callIng city arms but they're not open on Sunday and Mondays. I'll try again tomorrow

YEAH THEY ARE GONNA BE OPEN 2MORROW FOR SURE . YOU GONNA LIKE WHAT THEY HAVE IN STOCK AND THEY ARE REAL REAL GOOD FOLKS .YOU`LL LIKE WHAT THEY HAVE INDEED .:supergrin:

tinman517
02-15-2010, 22:10
Does City Arms have decent ammo prices? I'll have to pay them a visit, tomorrow.

GLOCK MONSTER
02-15-2010, 22:17
does city arms have decent ammo prices? I'll have to pay them a visit, tomorrow.

they should be . I see alot folks walkout with boxes of ammo from there . Lol lol but i usually buy mine at the gunshow at cowpalace . Matter of fact they are havin another gunshow commin up on march 13th at the cowpalce .

Bowtie
02-15-2010, 22:51

Theres alot more to life than guns..If you base all your decision on gun laws then I'm sorry for you..

Thrillhouse700
02-15-2010, 23:28
Theres alot more to life than guns..If you base all your decision on gun laws then I'm sorry for you..

Yeah like how our state is bankrupt and how the terminator destroyed a once awesome place to live. I'm tempted more and more everyday to take off to AZ. Closer to the River and Glamis, yet still close enough to visit friends and family.

Bowtie
02-15-2010, 23:51
Yeah like how our state is bankrupt and how the terminator destroyed a once awesome place to live. I'm tempted more and more everyday to take off to AZ. Closer to the River and Glamis, yet still close enough to visit friends and family.

Things were screwed up before the governator took over..

TRX450R_Racer
02-16-2010, 06:59
Your high temp today was 28? Ours had the numbers transposed -- 82. Not trying to convince you of anything -- just answering your question.

Yea well you can come to South Florida and have the best of both worlds. Great climate and the first state to become a shall issue state!!!

BadAndy
02-16-2010, 11:19

Off topic but is really that difficult to use the correct letter in those words? You used "s" in several other words so your "s" key obviously works.

GLOCK MONSTER
02-16-2010, 12:58
off topic but is really that difficult to use the correct letter in those words? You used "s" in several other words so your "s" key obviously works.

daaaaaam didn`t know that the majority of people up in here iz like the forum police !!! So what if i like 2 use "z" on some wordz i use ! Whatz gonna happen i`ma get banned for puttin "z" on some wordz i use ? Daaaam yall people are killin me !

BadAndy
02-16-2010, 13:45
You won't get banned but it's hard to take someone serious that intentionally misspells words. It makes you look illiterate.

Bowtie
02-16-2010, 14:08
People might take you more serious if you lose the ebonics.

Giggity-Giggity
02-16-2010, 14:19
Just picked one up in my local shop...in TX.

LORD have mercy on Kali.

Thrillhouse700
02-16-2010, 22:46
Things were screwed up before the governator took over..

He sure didn't help.

Bowtie
02-16-2010, 22:51
He sure didn't help.

Thats for damn sure..

KaTooM
02-16-2010, 22:56
Well it was 80F today and the Glock Gen 4 is not on the Roster...

It's a love hate thing...

Glock rep(just gossip) at the shot show said they have submitted an example of the gen 4 for the roster.

:chatter:

Bobshouse
02-16-2010, 23:36
The thing I don't understand about the California "approved" roster is, why or how do the guns turn "unapproved" after 2 years and fall off the roster? Do they go sour like milk or what?

Surely it couldn't be a money thing, cause I know our government here cares about our health and wellbeing.

bentbiker
02-17-2010, 01:15
The thing I don't understand about the California "approved" roster is, why or how do the guns turn "unapproved" after 2 years and fall off the roster?
They don't. The Gen3 G17/22 are approved because they were tested before the requirement for a magazine safety. If the DOJ doesn't accept Glock's petition to consider the Gen4 the same gun, then it has to meet the new criteria. In that case, the Gen4 couldn't be sold in CA but the Gen3 wouldn't be "unapproved".

Bobshouse
02-17-2010, 07:53
They don't. The Gen3 G17/22 are approved because they were tested before the requirement for a magazine safety. If the DOJ doesn't accept Glock's petition to consider the Gen4 the same gun, then it has to meet the new criteria. In that case, the Gen4 couldn't be sold in CA but the Gen3 wouldn't be "unapproved".

Yes it would...it would fall off the roster on it's expiration date, unless Glock forks up the cash to have it "retested" and "rerostered"...

Larry V
02-17-2010, 08:37

I hate the cold , I will admit that, But Gun laws,High taxes, Illegal Immagration, ect. , No thanks, I'll stay here and freeze i guess!!!

richie3888
07-14-2010, 16:07
It seems like the gen 4 will never get here

tx787
07-14-2010, 17:21
It never will because new guns for the CA roster must have magazine disconnect locks (sometimes called safeties).

MB-G17
02-09-2012, 17:13
The best store in the bay area I've been to is Canyon Sports in Martinez. Very friendly staff and impressive inventory. I just bought a Glock from them and be coming back often.
http://www.canyon-sports.com/

Aquagear
02-09-2012, 17:39
I used to live in California, I now reside in Sparks Nevada. It is amazing how things change when you cross that imaginary line they call the border, it is a different world up here.

F106 Fan
02-09-2012, 17:41
The reason that the Gen 4s can't come in is that they lack the magazine disconnect. Simple as that. Neither can the XDm although the XD was listed before the disconnect requirement so it's ok.

Guns that were previously approved can stay approved. All the manufacturer has to do is pay the renewal fee. If this wasn't the case, all the 1911's would have dropped off long ago. Obviously, they haven't. I just picked up my Sig 1911 today.

However, I did note that a few hundred guns dropped off the list at the end of 2011. There's a list that shows up when you Google for 'california approved firearms':
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Look at the link on the bottom of the page for the guns that are no longer approved.

It is worth using Google to look for 'single shot exemption'. You will find, among other links:
http://www.directactionsolutions.net/single-shot-exemption-explanation/

I think there is a lawsuit wandering around challenging the idea that the state can require special features or declare guns unsafe after they have been accepted by the BATFE. I have only heard rumors and I don't know anything about it. CalGuns.net might know more.

Richard

zerotonothing
02-09-2012, 17:55

Because everything that "they" don't want you to have is illegal in California. :wolf:

FourXFour
02-09-2012, 18:10
Plenty of gen 4 Glocks are legal to purchase through the single shot exemption. You may pay a premium for the hassle, but it is worth it to some.

Try Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas. They are one of the cooler gun shops in the bay area. They manufacture their own lowers and have a pretty good AK smith in house.

Glock Authority
02-09-2012, 23:02
:rofl::rofl:I know I live in a pretty pathetic state, but California takes the cake. The only thing that state has going for it anymore is the weather.

Bowtie
02-09-2012, 23:08
:rofl::rofl:I know I live in a pretty pathetic state, but California takes the cake. The only thing that state has going for it anymore is the weather.

I'm not going to point fingers but there are states in the US that have it worse..

Glock Authority
02-09-2012, 23:16
I'm not going to point fingers but there are states in the US that have it worse..
I agree with you 100%. I was born in CA and actually I think it is Gods country, but it is getting pretty ridiculous with all the BS laws, let alone the cost to live there.

21/4life
02-09-2012, 23:20

Its the liberal legislature that is killing this State, and now we have Moonbeam who wants yo raise taxes again.

No magazine disconnect no Kali approval! Gen 3 is better anyway.

Bowtie
02-09-2012, 23:21
I agree with you 100%. I was born in CA and actually I think it is Gods country, but it is getting pretty ridiculous with all the BS laws, let alone the cost to live there.

I agree with you...But even our crazy gun laws aren't as bad as some..Don't even get me started on the cost to live here..Its insane.

Bowtie
02-09-2012, 23:23
Its the liberal legislature that is killing this State, and now we have Moonbeam who wants yo raise taxes again.

No magazine disconnect no Kali approval! Gen 3 is better anyway.

Thank God I can still buy 1911's without issue..:supergrin:

Glock Authority
02-09-2012, 23:29
I agree with you...But even our crazy gun laws aren't as bad as some..Don't even get me started on the cost to live here..Its insane.
I hear you. We sold our house in San Jose in 1976 for $56,000 and now that same house is $800,000.

High Altitude
02-09-2012, 23:52
Wasn't there a thread just a few days ago that told you how to legally purchase a gen4 in California?

I was born in SoCal and lived most of my life there and don't miss it at all. I really thought I was going to miss the perfect weather, but never happened.

BillPed
02-10-2012, 00:14
Wasn't there a thread just a few days ago that told you how to legally purchase a gen4 in California?

I was born in SoCal and lived most of my life there and don't miss it at all. I really thought I was going to miss the perfect weather, but never happened.

I have a Gen4 G19 legally purchased in California.

Purchasing any "off roster" gun is extremely easy. Lots of ways, from buying it face to face from someone who brought it in legally from another state to having what is called Single Shot Exemption (SSE, an oddity that you can search and find out more).

Adds a few dollars, but is really no big deal.

Bill

bentbiker
02-10-2012, 00:24
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389349 .

F106 Fan
02-10-2012, 01:41

There are a number of 1911's available. But I don't think the Colt Gold Cup is among them.

I just picked up a Sig 1911 and the store had a Colt Combat Government, something from Springfield Armory, a nice Kimber, an S&W and a couple of others. So quality 1911's are available.

I have a fancy Gold Cup with gold leaf on the slide. It's an IPSC commemorative 1 of 200 gun and I just don't want to use it in a holster. I would really like to find a plain Gold Cup.

Richard

Lowjiber
02-10-2012, 06:56
That's just ridiculous.
No...it's California.:rofl:

SASJen
11-15-2012, 13:44
Hi, guys! :wavey: Sorry to bring bad news . This is why I think they will never make it onto the California Roster: The guns don't have a magazine detach safety. CA currently asks that all guns manufactured after... 2008?? 2009??? Has a safety that will not fire the last round in the chamber, if no magazine is in the magwell. All guns already on the roster are grandfathered in, such as Gen3 and prior. But the new guns will not be allowed.

To change the design of the Gen4, I feel, would be to take away what that gun is. --and the XDMs for that matter. I'm sorry :( California is hell on firearms. I'm glad I left the state!

clarkz71
11-15-2012, 14:19
Yea well you can come to South Florida and have the best of both worlds. Great climate and the first state to become a shall issue state!!!

Yes, I've had my CWL since 91 or 92

Off topic but is really that difficult to use the correct letter in those words? You used "s" in several other words so your "s" key obviously works.

Don't you remember that commercial..... "Waz Zup"

21/4life
11-15-2012, 19:34
EBR works i got a G23Gen4 FDE from here great people!!!
http://www.ebrworks.com/Home_Page.php

Glock2336
11-15-2012, 21:18
I have a Gen4 G19 legally purchased in California.

Purchasing any "off roster" gun is extremely easy. Lots of ways, from buying it face to face from someone who brought it in legally from another state to having what is called Single Shot Exemption (SSE, an oddity that you can search and find out more).

Adds a few dollars, but is really no big deal.

Bill

Exactly, I bought a Gen 4 G19 and Gen 4 G17 this year via SSE and they are both listed on my CA CCW. For those that do not know, some CA counties limit you to 3 firearms on your CCW here.

seed
11-15-2012, 21:40
The best store in the bay area I've been to is Canyon Sports in Martinez. Very friendly staff and impressive inventory. I just bought a Glock from them and be coming back often.
http://www.canyon-sports.com/

Screeech!!!!! Whoa... That store is without a doubt, one of the two worst gun stores I have ever been to... Unless they got rid of that hypocritical thief pot-smoking cellulite packing liar with the SS tattoo on his arm, my assessment stands. I have plenty of my own reasons, but if you must find out for yourself, check Yelp! Last I checked, it was a bit dated, but the negative comments mirrored my own experiences.

Good stores are J&R in Livermore, Reed's in Santa Clara, Valkyrie in Santa Clara (formerly in Milpitas...and they do Single Shot Exemptions), Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountain View, City Arms East in Pleasant Hill, Targetmasters in Milpitas, and some others of which I will remember later.

Canyon used to be good...but that was a long time ago.

Sand
11-15-2012, 21:52

Dude? Are you serious? Comparing the climate of South Flordia to (southern) California? Are you serious. We don't even know what humidity is.

SASJen
11-15-2012, 21:54
Glock2366 is absolutely right about that! I forgot about making them single shot. It's just a block in the magwell or a mag that won't squish down. You just have to find a dealer who will do it.

You can also do a private party transfer. Like Glock2366 said, it can be someone who bought the Gen4 out of state. But also be sure that that person has a valid form of ID to show residence in CA. If a guy from NV drives a gun to CA to do a private party transfer, he will have wasted his time, because PPTs are a CA thing, and only for people with CA IDs or CDLs or Military ID with permanent station orders on hand to do it. Private party transfers are also consignment sales.

THere is also one other possibility: if you know a peace officer who is willing to sell you his or her off-roster handgun in a private party transfer, it's good. You just have to find a peace officer who wants to part with one ;-) There's the hard part :-) WHo wants to get rid of their Gen4 ????

Glock2336
11-15-2012, 22:10
Glock2366 is absolutely right about that! I forgot about making them single shot. It's just a block in the magwell or a mag that won't squish down. You just have to find a dealer who will do it.

You can also do a private party transfer. Like Glock2366 said, it can be someone who bought the Gen4 out of state. But also be sure that that person has a valid form of ID to show residence in CA. If a guy from NV drives a gun to CA to do a private party transfer, he will have wasted his time, because PPTs are a CA thing, and only for people with CA IDs or CDLs or Military ID with permanent station orders on hand to do it. Private party transfers are also consignment sales.

THere is also one other possibility: if you know a peace officer who is willing to sell you his or her off-roster handgun in a private party transfer, it's good. You just have to find a peace officer who wants to part with one ;-) There's the hard part :-) WHo wants to get rid of their Gen4 ????

I only mentioned my experience with SSE, I never suggested buying from someone who brought it from out of state to sell here.
The Gen 4 G17 I bought last month was from MTG Firearms in Elk Grove, CA and they are set up to SSE Gen 4 Glocks legally.

In SSE form:
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/20121025_174022_zpse4168523.jpg

Normally:
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/20121028_134916_zpsa6f281ea.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/20121110_164727_zpsda3f9f37.jpg

SASJen
11-16-2012, 00:05
Hi, Glock2366 :) I totally agreed with you. You didn't say anything wrong or inaccurate :) Sometimes, though, I clarify, because some people WOULD end up doing the PPT incorrectly, and it could cause a lot of heartache. I.e., I had a guy bring a gun from out of NV to sell to his friend in CA, and I had to turn him away :( I felt terrible, but I couldn't do it.

That SSE Glock was wild! So, I'm a bit foggy... was it the long barrel that made it okay, and the magazine is normal? Or what was up with that? Looks like it would be fun to try :supergrin:

You guns are lovely :)

Glock2336
11-16-2012, 07:40
The barrel, blocked magazine that only holds one round and heavily altered mag release that needed a tool.

HexHead
11-16-2012, 07:51

Don't count on that. The DOJ approvals have expiration dates. Even if a Gen3 were resubmitted at that point it would fail since it too Would have to meet the then current rules to be recertified. Given them racheting up the requirements and the expiration dates, eventually very few handguns will qualify to be sold in CA, which is the whole idea.

HexHead
11-16-2012, 07:52

As they expire off the list, they'll be gone too.